new fire emblem fuck yeah.

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:04 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Post by Andrius »

I played through Awakening again. I kind of assumed that marrying Tiki would hurt in the long-run in terms of abilities/stats but I don't think there's a way to really screw up Tiki or Tiki!Morgan. They were both awesome. The story was still good the second time, even if I wish the VALM arc were longer and YENFAY IS A MUTE weren't a stupid addition. The boss for Fort Stieger was probably the best boss in the area in terms of character if you fight her with Chrom.
Idk.
I tried to play Fates as well and lost interest halfway through.
Story simply isn't as good.

Going to maybe play through FE8 again next week.

Considering getting Shadows of Valencia. I realize that CONQUEST basically has everything I want in terms of map objectives since I'm tired of ROUT/CAPTURE but I know I'd hate Conquest since I would actually want to use less than half of the characters in Conquest and you're supposed to be stronger. Idk. Why they couldn't spread the great level design to HOSHIDO as well is beyond me.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Titus
Titus
She/her/hers
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her/hers
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her/hers

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Post by Titus »

What is FE for the noob like me?
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Post by Andrius »

Turn-based tactical RPG.
With great stories (Fates excluded), tons of classes (moreso as time goes on) and tons of lovable characters with permadeath.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Post by Andrius »

Alternatively, if you prefer TONS OF WORDS:
In post 101, Vi wrote:
AGar wrote:
Andrius wrote:
Fire Emblem
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF AGar. You need to play. :(
Halp? I have no knowledge whatsoever, but am a gamer at heart. I give almost anything at least 1 go, even "Hello Kitty: Island Adventure"! :P
Fire Emblem is a turn-based strategy game. You move your units, the computer moves theirs, repeat. It's pretty much strictly single-player; Link Arena tends to be lame in general and IS hasn't found a good way to work a co-op mode.

The core difference between FE and other turn-based strategy games is its focus on personal development. Your units are people, characters minor and major in the plot. You use them in each Chapter; they have distinct classes, statistical builds and growths, and abilities; they have distinct personalities. You can have them initiate support conversations with other characters to strengthen your army as a whole when they're around each other if you like, although it takes longer to unlock supports with less-than-compatible characters. Most famously, (almost) everyone who hits zero HP dies, and death is
permanent
. Even if for story purposes going to zero HP "severely wounds" them, you can't use them any more. It should go without saying that if the main characters die, the game is over. Whether you reset the game and start the Chapter over in hopes of doing better next time or simply take what you have and move on is up to you; you get enough characters that it's pretty difficult to wind up in an unwinnable situation if you play your cards right.

Fire Emblem's plots are the trashy romance novels of the RPG world - you can loosely have an idea of what to expect, but the specifics vary from game to game. There's going to be at least one dragon, at least one insane monarch, a cleric getting broken out of jail, etc., etc. almost all the time. Yet despite the archetypes the plots and characters are distinct enough that none of them are obvious carbon copies of another.
Also akin to trashy romance novels, there's plenty of scandal to go around - the decidedly
not
conservative-friendly family values some characters display toward each other were probably the major reason the game was originally not for export.

Because of the huge variety of units and strategies, the games have a considerable amount of replay value in spite of being single-player.

Also, start with FE7 (proper name: "FE: The Blazing Sword"; in America, just "Fire Emblem") or FE9 (Path of Radiance).
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Yeah. What they said. Turn based strategies with good stories and characters who if you lose them in battle they stay perma dead.
In terms of actual games from my perspective you have,

Fire Emblem 1,2,3 were released a long time ago and since they've been remade or will be remade there's no point to playing them anymore.

Fire Emblem 4 is pretty different from the others but has the best story by far. Pretty much a game of thrones story and if you don't play it you should read the manga based off the story which is also really good. This game basically conquered Japan and was their most successful game there. (Although it never got officially released in America so it's influence is less known there)

Fire Emblem 5 is hardest game in the series but has the best tactical and strategic elements in my opinion. Don't play this one until you've played the more classical ones and Fire Emblem 4 first. (Since the story of 5 is a midquel to 4 and has spoilers) This game has my favorite main character too.

Fire Emblem 6 is decent but 7 and 8 are superior in almost every way and 7 is a prequel. Probably only play this one if you really loved 7.

Fire emblem 7 is probably the best one to start with to get into the series. It's got a really long tutorial section, but characters, story, and gameplay are top notch and it's a solid entry point. Probably has the best characters out of all the ones I've played. This was the first one officially released to America.

Fire Emblem 8 is a fantastic game for its size and length. It's got really good pacing and villains. Considerably easier and shorter then others so if you're looking for a quick romp, do this one. Has some really solid and interesting characters too. It's one I didn't fully come to appreciate until I played it a couple times and noticed the genius behind some parts.

Fire Emblem 9 + 10. Only have had time to play the first chapters of 9 but I've heard these games are fantastic and after the first 6 chapters I have no doubts. Can't wait to graduate so I have time to play these.

Fire Emblem 11. Remake of 1. Honestly, not a great game. They didn't update much and it hasn't aged that well.

Fire Emblem 12. Remake of 3. Pretty solid and decent. It has possibly the best map designs and levels, and a pretty solid story.

Everything past this and the games kind of changed their target audience and there's a lot more emphasis on marrying characters and marrying off your self insert character which isn't really my style but they're really popular games so they're probably good games if you like that style.

They're also remaking fire emblem 2 which I'm excited about.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Post by Andrius »

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

FE 9/10 is a great duo and should definitely be played as if they were one game.
If you overlook the fact that FE10 butchered supports (in the traditional sense), they might just be the best games in the series.
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:01 am

Post by Human Sequencer »

Fire Emblem 11. Remake of 1. Honestly, not a great game. They didn't update much and it hasn't aged that well.
TRIGGERED
Everything past this and the games kind of changed their target audience and there's a lot more emphasis on marrying characters and marrying off your self insert character which isn't really my style but they're really popular games so they're probably good games if you like that style.
untriggered
nah
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:01 am

we agree on so much flum why you gotta hate on shadow dragon :neutral:
we've both even not had the time to play the ike games but want to and have played the first few chapters
nah
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:30 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Haha, I respect Shadow Dragon in the sense that the original was legendary. But now?
The characters are undeveloped and not very interesting. The story is pretty basic. The only interesting story parts to me were
needing to select a character to use as a decoy/sacrifice
and
Marth holding back tears and pretending to be happy while waving to the people because he just learned his sister was taken.

The maps were pretty generic and boring. Nothing really stood out and they were all sieze the throne chapters. The only interesting one was the gharnef fight. (Which admittedly was pretty cool)
The pacing is pretty off and the game just feels more like a slog at times.
I think they should have updated Shadow Dragon similar to how they updated 12. But at least it actually had a decent multiplayer mode so there's that.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:43 pm

Post by Chevre »

Shadow Dragon for DS is the only Fire Emblem game I've played. It was like $15 on the clearance rack at Walmart and I figured why not. I never finished it because it outpaced my character's levels and was getting tedious. I liked the concept though.

I saw a used copy of it going for $60 at a game store a few weekends ago . . . tempting :P
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:03 am

In post 159, Fluminator wrote:Haha, I respect Shadow Dragon in the sense that the original was legendary. But now?
The characters are undeveloped and not very interesting. The story is pretty basic. The only interesting story parts to me were
needing to select a character to use as a decoy/sacrifice
and
Marth holding back tears and pretending to be happy while waving to the people because he just learned his sister was taken.

The maps were pretty generic and boring. Nothing really stood out and they were all sieze the throne chapters. The only interesting one was the gharnef fight. (Which admittedly was pretty cool)
The pacing is pretty off and the game just feels more like a slog at times.
I think they should have updated Shadow Dragon similar to how they updated 12. But at least it actually had a decent multiplayer mode so there's that.
The update was mostly the same to me, obviously 12 is better in that particular regard but they had the benefit of already given it a shot. I do agree that 12 is better, though.

I really enjoyed the simple characters, and I'm never really in for the overarching plot. I feel like the really simple one dimensional element to the characters serves it well here, because you can fill in the rest yourself-- That's what I did at least.

I would normally concede that I'm just blinded by nostalgia at this point, but I played the GBA ones first so :wink:
nah
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:27 am

Post by Fluminator »

Fair points. It's not a terrible game at all.

On another note I got Fire Emblem Heroes and it's actually decently fun as a little side app.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:46 am

Post by Cabd »

This is now a heroes thread.

MFW getting best girl who does her best.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Post by Andrius »

Nino IS really good if you care to level her in FE7.
Far superior to Pent and boring-as-crap Erk.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Post by Cabd »

She's also hidden S tier in heroes. Best non Hector green unit right now.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Post by Andrius »

I don't play HEROES but Nino is great.
Also really love Serra from FE7 and wish her and Hector had an ending but whatever. A Support was great.

FE Echoes (15?) looks good and I might get that.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:06 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

I beat Fates guys
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Post by Cabd »

I feel like the routes mechanic in dates was under-utilized.
Show

GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

I mostly liked the music.
And pairing all the royals with country bumpkins.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Post by PJ. »

What is heroes?
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

A mobile game.
Show
~fferyllt

WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 168, Cabd wrote:I feel like the routes mechanic in dates was under-utilized.
Agreed.

Fates had the major decision in the Branch of Fate but I feel like there weren't really any other big choices all game. You make one decision at the Branch of Fate but everything else after that is basically railroaded. You make a choice and then do what you're told all game. Especially Nohr where you're supposed to be changing everything, you just do as you're told all game until basically a chapter before Endgame. Birthright is different because you basically just kill Nohrians every chapter with little deviation. A number of characters die in both routes but you can do little/nothing to affect it, and when you can
Spoiler: Birthright Ch 15
you would have no idea what needs to be done to prevent Kaze from dying unless you knew about it beforehand
. I thought his death was largely unimportant since he had such little screentime and we don't really care about him anyway.

Awakening was little better in that the Ch 9 choice doesn't matter and the choice after defeating the final boss has little weight to it since you avoid the big consequence of choosing the "better" option.

But I did like the soundtrack, which is always good.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:26 pm

Post by Cabd »

There is actually a choice that does affect game play on the Nohr side...

Spoiler: Conquest Chapter 16
You can actually choose to kill Shura off; and you will go through with it! You get a pair of boots instead of him as a playable unit.
Show

Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Post by Andrius »

Right, I forgot about that.
Nohr is the only route I haven't played.

If there is a similar choice in either other route, it clearly wasn't memorable enough to merit remembrance.

Return to “The Arcade”