School Survivor (Game Over, Congrats Hermione!)

BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #9 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:09 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Haha what is "nice."
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #25 (isolation #1) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:29 am

Post by BROseidon »

Haha Will if you're gonna call me out, just fucking call me out instead of circumlocuting.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #45 (isolation #2) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 32, Chevre wrote:So like

what do we need to change so that winners and good players and final jurors and great mods who run great games don't want to quit

Because if everyone keeps good on their promises, we're losing a lot of talent!!!

It's a hard question because the immediate answer is like "lessen the stakes, put more restrictions in place" but that will dampen games and make them less interesting
What Will said about specs is on-point. Another thing to remember is that, as specs, you don't see 95% of the game. You don't see the PMs people send each other. You don't see the thoughts in people's heads - you only see what manages to make it to the forum in writing.

And when people do daily or near-daily video confessionals? Yeah, how many people actually watched all 4+ hours of Jeff?

Your understanding of the game as a spec is always going to be limited as fuck.

Also, speaking of toxicity:

Threatening to quit if Juno won or saying that all jurors who voted for Juno were doing so out of spite or petty or whatever is disrespectful both to Juno and those of us who voted for her. You're allowed to disagree (most people did!), but don't act like someone is a fundamentally bad person for viewing the world through a different lens.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #46 (isolation #3) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Post by BROseidon »

And I'm sure I'm going to get plenty of pot-kettle responses to this, but w/e. I'm at least aware of when I'm being a dick to people - I just don't care.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #50 (isolation #4) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:54 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 47, xRECKONERx wrote:None of this happened.
What I jacked were quotes literally from Dan and Regina, respectively.

So, no.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #56 (isolation #5) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 47, xRECKONERx wrote:However, the meta has settled again, it seems. And the new meta is some version of "I don't care that people made moves or whatever, I'm going to be mad that people took risks." That's the biggest problem with the modern meta. People don't want to take risks. And if they do -- and those risks pay off -- they're still lambasted for "taking risks". It means that it enforces this meta where people are scared to be the ringleader, scared to make moves, etc. And then, of course, specs & mods are disappointed when their games are boring and nobody's doing anything. It's a vicious cycle.

In order to break the old boring majority alliance/pagong meta, it took some games designed specifically with the aim of breaking that meta. At the tail end of that meta people were constantly complaining and eyerolling about it. And after that meta kinda broke, we got games like Conclave, DW, NAH, Arkham, PSV, Eon. Good, solid games with good, solid winners.

It's gonna take some doing but I think the main issue now is a compounding of multiple problems.
- F3s have become more common and that means people are reacting to this. In F2 meta, you could take someone else with you who had also fucked people over and force the jury to choose. Now, juries seem to just default to picking the person who was the least controversial in a F3.
- For some reason, the idea of being an iconic juror who really gives it to the finalists has become some kinda goal, even for finalists who weren't bad, making it just toxic.
- Juries for so long have disincentivized risky or aggressive play, and now that's what the meta has reacted to, resulting in fairly meh characters making it far.

I'm sure there are other things to this as well but I think it's worth noting that when metas get stale, we see a droop, and we have to actively work to fix it.
Oooooh boy there's a lot to unpack here and really I should be modding my other game, so gonna keep this brief:

1) You're defining risk here through the lens of big moves, which isn't always the case. One of the things I appreciated a lot about Juno's game was the restraint that she demonstrated throughout the game while correctly identifying and seamlessly navigating her way between "big power players," but that strategy comes with the risk of not being seen by most people and therefore not getting votes at FTC (a risk that she got punished for). It runs the risk of getting taken out for being a "soft target" (could have happened multiple times!). Because everything that happens in the game of Survivor that isn't explicitly winning immunity requires some form of risk management. Taking short-term safe options until you just go out the way you're intended to poses long-term risks (something that very much informed my play, personally, here).

2) Was people being afraid to be the ringleader really a problem this game? Like, really? This game was a leader-heavy game by far, b/w Hermione, Aria, Tracy, Penny, Dan, Regina, Gabi, Lizzie, and Mags (before she flaked). And a leader won, despite followers typically doing better in leader-heavy seasons.

3) Honestly, specs and mods need to have a healthier approach to boring games. The players aren't there for their entertainment, they're there to play the game. Specs get a small lens into the game, anyways

4) No, juries are defaulting for voting who they want to win. People bitching about that meaning people voting for "someone who didn't play ~objectively the best game~" need to sit down and shut up because the best game in the context of a given scenario is the one that gets the majority of jury votes. If that's a game that's boring to watch or one that you don't find stylistically appealing, then that's on you. For as much as you're complaining, our last five anon-Survivor winners (Hermione, Karass, Alexis, Kawazu, Shaco) all played remarkably different games and all won in unique, interesting ways. I don't think there's an actual problem with who's winning.

And yeah, Juno came close to winning and a lot of people didn't like that, but you know what? At the end of the day, Juno turned up for FTC. She played a game that was laudable in a lot of ways, and yeah, she would have lost to Aria if she'd "gotten her way," but at the same time that isn't going to be a thing that defines every jurors votes? She earned the votes she got, but she ended up falling a bit short.

5) I disagree by what you mean by "deserve it." You read my FTC question as bitter, when I was pretty much equally harsh to all three of you because I didn't want to give you softball questions. Finalists aren't entitled to being coddled.

6) Again, disagree about juries discouraging risky play, both by the definition of "risk" and by the variety of winners we've had who've all won in crazy diverse ways.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #57 (isolation #6) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 52, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 49, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:Those are good points Reck! I hadn't thought about how juries lately have been punishing risky play, although that may be a result of jury members not caring as much and voting for who they like more. Either way, a large part of it is jurors making everything about themselves. I think this could be countered by only allowing each jury member 1-3 questions like we did in RSX.
Yeah, I considered this today. I think limiting FTC speeches to a wordcount and limiting jury questions and responses would be a good start so people dont feel the need to ahve 10 page long bitchfests.
Honestly I'd be in favor of "Juror gets a single post, each finalist gets a single response" (basically what I did in Medevac).

It would also set us up better to F2F instead of having FTC go on for like 2 hours.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #58 (isolation #7) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 54, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:Yeah, I'd definitely say the reason I find it hard to keep modding is that players who maintain the status quo and just play with their friends keep being rewarded, and while I don't think that's not a valid way to play or anything, it's boring to watch it play out every game. I don't know if anything really needs to change though, and I could very well be the problem; my views of what makes an enjoyable game simply don't align with most of the community.
In what world did that happen this game?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #59 (isolation #8) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Like I guess Aria-Tracy had worked together before as Gregory-Android but other than that
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #67 (isolation #9) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Post by BROseidon »

1) Lying in the background has risks, too. Look at players like Rizz and Steve and Maddie who didn't make it to the end, or the countless other "floaters" or "non-entities" in the game who got picked off pre-merge. There's always risk in not doing everything you can to keep yourself in the game/not making moves. Inaction is still a decision, and one thing Juno articulated reasonably well how she approached that.

2) Can you really say that, though, after how many big moves this game had? How many big moves DBZ had? How many big moves (early) that Nexus had? People aren't actually afraid of making big moves, and not every round has to be a Regina boot.

4) Yeah there's clearly a line. Until someone is saying "pick a number" for realzies (because memeing it the way Kelly did in 2nd chances is lulz), we aren't across it. Like, I'd argue that even Valla's "hot guys pls" question had merit to it in the sense that it was asking the three finalists how well they knew her (granted, through a really bizarre lens but yeah)

5) "even for finalists who weren't bad" is what I'm paraphrasing.

6) For one, Alexis never really got close to losing. For Kawazu, there were clear, identifiable things he did that nearly cost him the game because he was trolling "for the lulz" (and I still contest that the aesthetics of Zeno winning would have been absolutely amazing). Hermione almost didn't win because she lost jury votes at FTC that were up in the air.

But in the end, "almost" doesn't really matter in Survivor. Brian only won 4-3, but he's considered one of the most dominant players of all time.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #71 (isolation #10) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Post by BROseidon »

This isn't about turning this into another argument.

This is about diagnosing what the problem is so that we can deal with it the correct way.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #73 (isolation #11) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:33 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 72, hiplop wrote:Im quitting because the meta sucks right now and Juno doing so well confirmed that to me. Nothing against juno.
Kilby, I'm going to be nice when I say this.

You're part of the problem.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #74 (isolation #12) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:33 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Like all three mods wanting to leave is indicative of an issue but let's not act like the mods can't have been part of the problem in the first place.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #84 (isolation #13) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 79, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:
In post 73, BROseidon wrote:
In post 72, hiplop wrote:Im quitting because the meta sucks right now and Juno doing so well confirmed that to me. Nothing against juno.
Kilby, I'm going to be nice when I say this.

You're part of the problem.
good thing he's leaving then, we're already one step closer
In post 80, hiplop wrote:Ya dont worry bro if im the problem you did a good job getting rid of me.
Alternatively, you could be less sanctimonious about objectivity in a game where everything is contextual and not get actively upset when people don't play the way you think the game "should" be played.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #97 (isolation #14) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 87, hiplop wrote:Bro i dont want to play anymore because the meta of the site is rewarding play that is anti risk. Please dont attack me for not wanting to participate in a game i no longer find fun.
This is a far cry from saying "the meta sucks and Juno's near-win proves it"

So, yeah.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #103 (isolation #15) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 99, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 97, BROseidon wrote:
In post 87, hiplop wrote:Bro i dont want to play anymore because the meta of the site is rewarding play that is anti risk. Please dont attack me for not wanting to participate in a game i no longer find fun.
This is a far cry from saying "the meta sucks and Juno's near-win proves it"

So, yeah.
can you stop actively being cocky to people who are leaving a community they love because of the toxicity?

it'd really help
Can you not let someone play the victim who was part of the problem?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #104 (isolation #16) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Post by BROseidon »

"Part of being a friend is being willing to call someone on their bullshit"
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #122 (isolation #17) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Oh god there's a joke I can make there but I don't think it's mine to make.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #128 (isolation #18) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by BROseidon »

The comments I want to make belong in gp2 and not here.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #130 (isolation #19) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:13 pm

Post by BROseidon »

There's a difference between thinking someone should have won and voting for them to win the game.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #131 (isolation #20) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:13 pm

Post by BROseidon »

(nuance is hard let's go shopping)
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #145 (isolation #21) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:38 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 144, xRECKONERx wrote:altho that's a good point... jury members don't often get the full picture especially since TC questions get ignored all the time on the forums
What medevac did in turning of PMs for large parts of TC wasn't actually really brilliant in that regard.

The TC thread when Abi got idoled is the best TC thread I've ever experienced.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #146 (isolation #22) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:39 am

Post by BROseidon »

I actually think a lot of what medevac did in terms of pm permissioning and forced-use of shared spaces was really good and should maybe be used more
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #148 (isolation #23) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:44 am

Post by BROseidon »

I don't think I contested that part?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #149 (isolation #24) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:45 am

Post by BROseidon »

If I did then wow me-two-days-ago was being dumb
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #158 (isolation #25) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:28 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 152, hiplop wrote:
In post 151, Shadoweh wrote:As long as it's a full 24 hours instead of 12 hours :p The quick decisions to vote out people still seemed to happen though, just before PMs were turned off.
In my experience speccing both games, both games "abused the deadline" basically in the same way.
Medevac had very few last-minute changes in tcs. The only one I can think of was the round Abi got idoled out.

The issue with medevac was when the 12 hours cut. It fucked over the east coast hard, but I guess on 12 hours it's hard to be fair to everyone?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #159 (isolation #26) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:29 am

Post by BROseidon »

Also I think doing 18 hours pming 6 hours TC is a better balance.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #161 (isolation #27) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:59 am

Post by BROseidon »

With deadlines set the way they were, it felt like I had 2-3 hours to TC.

Really it just needed to start earlier so that 8 hours of pm time wasn't over everyone sleeping
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #169 (isolation #28) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:32 am

Post by BROseidon »

We need people who aren't me and will modding tbf
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #170 (isolation #29) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:33 am

Post by BROseidon »

Like new mod blood is important and we don't seem to have much right now
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #178 (isolation #30) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 173, Save The Dragons wrote:all the people in the queue currently say hello
Of all those games that are totally ready to go
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #181 (isolation #31) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 177, xRECKONERx wrote:tbh we should move off of zetaboards
If we can get a better alternative, probably.

That said, a good way to learn zetaboards is to mod with people who know it a few times and figure it out.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #183 (isolation #32) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Not that I'm an expert at zetaboards now but I can do some basic shit now versus the nothing prior to Nexus
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #184 (isolation #33) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:08 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In college we used email and it was bad
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #217 (isolation #34) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:36 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 215, animorpherv1 wrote:
In post 170, BROseidon wrote:Like new mod blood is important and we don't seem to have much right now
Just popping in to say 'Hi I exist. I can be around to review games and act as a backup mod, but I can't promise much else aside from that'. I doubt you meant me, but just a quick note for those who don't even know I exist in this space.
The problem is that we need more more who can be full-time, which we are losing fast :/
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #223 (isolation #35) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:04 am

Post by BROseidon »

Aria wasn't a villain.

This is why specs need to not talk about things. Because they don't understand what actually happens in the game because they don't see 95% of it
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #258 (isolation #36) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:42 am

Post by BROseidon »

Replace pms with forums.

Problem solved, except the mods have to do like hundreds of forums and also ain't nobody gonna read all that
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #266 (isolation #37) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:58 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 263, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 253, zoraster wrote:
In post 249, Drench wrote:yeah i mean if you feel strongly then go ahead, i'm more concerned with "oh the spectators didn't see what actually happened therefore they should Not" talk anyway because there is actually a cool and exciting way to prevent that called confessionals
And I think given the number of PMs sent that saying confessionals can substitute for "what is going on" is probably naive. It's possible there are a few players who put enough in their confessionals to follow along to a full extent, but the vast majority will not, not matter how much pressure you try to put on them.
i dunno, an update every round going:

"I kinda like X, we talked a lot. I think people are thinking about targeting Y" takes all of 30 seconds
That really doesn't approach the nuance of everything going on.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #269 (isolation #38) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:09 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 267, Drench wrote:you're a smart dude bro i'm sure if you sat down for five to ten minutes you could get at some of the nuance
It's why I did video but video is harder for specs so yeah.

I mean my issue is laziness more than anything. It's easier for me to talk through everything than to write through ut
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #271 (isolation #39) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:10 am

Post by BROseidon »

And to that point there is a lot about a given survivor season that we don't see because of editing, not being there, etc
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #280 (isolation #40) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:50 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 278, xRECKONERx wrote:i think it's also if you see people in the spec forums going WTF THIS PERSON IS DOING WELL!?!?!? WHY UGH I HATE IT it's probs because you didn't give enough in your confessional so you cant be super mad ab that
Lor'Themar
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #295 (isolation #41) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:52 am

Post by BROseidon »

But why was Dan the hero?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #323 (isolation #42) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:02 am

Post by BROseidon »

Skelda is mostly right except Aria is Kathy VO without the early M-tone
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #325 (isolation #43) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:03 am

Post by BROseidon »

Also Penny was Sarah from Cagayan
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #329 (isolation #44) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:07 am

Post by BROseidon »

Also Dan as Weasel Woo makes sense
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #334 (isolation #45) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:15 am

Post by BROseidon »

Kilby, pls
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #336 (isolation #46) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:22 am

Post by BROseidon »

"I played a dominant social game except for those 3 jury votes I made no effort for and those 2 that I backstabbed horribly."
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #351 (isolation #47) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 349, MattP wrote:
In post 336, BROseidon wrote:"I played a dominant social game except for those 3 jury votes I made no effort for and those 2 that I backstabbed horribly."
Yeah but the ppl I worked with loved me and they are the only humans who matter
ThisisnotRuPaulsBestFriendRace.gif
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #359 (isolation #48) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Thirdpersonica the truly tragic hero.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #367 (isolation #49) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:59 am

Post by BROseidon »

Yeah Aria didn't realize that nobody was coming close to beating her.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #373 (isolation #50) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Nah the issue with The Amanda Kimmel of Survivor: China and Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites fame was that she refused to take ownership of her game both times and the jury wanted her to say "yeah I did those things"
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #375 (isolation #51) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Maybe.

That said, unlike Amanda, I think Aria would have come in so far ahead that it would have been hard for her to throw.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #409 (isolation #52) » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Post by BROseidon »

the mods could just give you login access to every account, or download the pms themselves.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #412 (isolation #53) » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 410, xRECKONERx wrote:except that specifically in the past it has been forbidden for people to share PM access because some serious personal shit gets shared sometimes and that makes it a no no to log in to PMs
Yeah this is a very good point. Perhaps allow people to release redacted versions of the pms that they personally sent?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #449 (isolation #54) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Just because it's a game doesn't mean that basic aspects of human decency go away.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #460 (isolation #55) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Post by BROseidon »

It's like I didn't state multiple times that I knew I was being a dick to Tracy and felt that she deserved being called out for her bullshit.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #461 (isolation #56) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Oh wait I did.

Man I love how we defend passive-aggressive shit on this site so long as nobody is YELLED AT.
Last edited by BROseidon on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #463 (isolation #57) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 458, zoraster wrote:
In post 449, BROseidon wrote:Just because it's a game doesn't mean that basic aspects of human decency go away.
If you gain an advantage by over sharing personal stuff, then I don't see why it's inappropriate to do the same with than info.

If you tell me, Zoraster, a personal story about yourself — even if you do so froma throwaway account (if I couldn't see who you were), I'd never dream of violating your confidentiality. As an admin, I've gone to great lengths to maintain that feeling because it's important.

But if you tell Buffy the survivor player, you're doing so in a way that I assume has at least some ulterior motive and feel no compunction about betraying except to the somewhat likely extent it might bite me in the ass.
Except Buffy is also a person.

Survivor is fundamentally a game of emotion, and pretending that discretion stops existing doesn't really fly.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #467 (isolation #58) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:00 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 464, zoraster wrote:Discretion matters but it does so within the game. If I violate your trust, I've made an enemy.

But if I see an advantage to it, I will betray it. Because I assumetheres a good chance you're just being manipulative and the goal is to win, not make long lasting out of game friends.
And if you do that to someone who told you that in good faith and they call you an asshole for it, you had it coming.

Is really all I'm saying.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #469 (isolation #59) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Like "it's just a game" shouldn't be carte blanche for "I'm gonna be a colossal asshole to people and pretend that nobody has feelings"
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #470 (isolation #60) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:02 pm

Post by BROseidon »

(in b4 "but Penny was mean to Tracy" while ignoring the entire context within which that existed)
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #472 (isolation #61) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:05 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Depends on how far you believe "Death of the Artist" goes.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #474 (isolation #62) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Post by BROseidon »

(note: I don't believe in complete Death of the Artist. Nobody can completely remove who they are from their Survivor character, even if they can stretch or push themselves pretty far from their normal range)
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #479 (isolation #63) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 477, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:
In post 470, BROseidon wrote:(in b4 "but Penny was mean to Tracy" while ignoring the entire context within which that existed)
I don't think you can defend implying someone is an actual sociopath with "I was trying to make a point"
I wasn't "trying to make a point."

I was being a dick to someone who had been a dick to me. It's really, really fucking simple.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #482 (isolation #64) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Man oh man CC your moral authority here is amazing.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #483 (isolation #65) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Like it's pretty telling that you're more worked up about all this than Skelda ever was.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #490 (isolation #66) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 486, Vijarada wrote:
In post 483, BROseidon wrote:Like it's pretty telling that you're more worked up about all this than Skelda ever was.
Idk about CC but I would have let it go if your post game posting wasn't hypocritical, self righteous garbage.

Disclaimer I reserve the right to regret this post.
lol

Maybe if people hadn't constantly shitted on Juno and anyone who DARED VOTE FOR JUNO TO WIN I wouldn't have to post this shit.

Maybe if people could accept that emotion and personal connection exist within Survivor and that's okay I wouldn't have to post this shit.

etc etc
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #491 (isolation #67) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Like you're free to do w/e you want.

Other people are allowed to call you an asshole for it.

This shouldn't be that hard.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #496 (isolation #68) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:28 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 494, Vijarada wrote:I defended Juno's emotions and game and voters several times, BRO.
Other than you coming for me for bizarre-seeming reasons, I don't have a problem with you, here.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #497 (isolation #69) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:28 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 495, zoraster wrote:
In post 491, BROseidon wrote:Like you're free to do w/e you want.

Other people are allowed to call you an asshole for it.

This shouldn't be that hard.
Call me an asshole in game, sure. Call me one out of game? That's pretty shitty of you.
Again, how much do you believe in death of the artist?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #501 (isolation #70) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:31 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Except that really didn't happen here wrt to Juno.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #503 (isolation #71) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 500, hiplop wrote:
In post 476, zoraster wrote:I don't care about your personal take on literary criticism or how it applies here. Either you separate in game actions and this is a game worth playing or you can't and it's not.
This quote is spot on.
Okay I'm going to spell this out because this seems really, really hard for some people.

There are things that, if people told me in the context of a Survivor game in good faith, I wouldn't tell to other people. I wouldn't break their trust that way, because at a fundamental level I've understood what it's felt like to have something that was mine to tell get told by other people and have that taken away from me. That shit hurts, and I wouldn't risk inflicting that on someone else, even within the confines of the game.

If you're capable of doing that, even in the context of the game of Survivor, it still reflects on who you are as a person
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #504 (isolation #72) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:33 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Like this isn't every little thing, but there's a line and discretion that should be exercised that I'd hope everyone is capable of having.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #514 (isolation #73) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 508, zoraster wrote:
In post 504, BROseidon wrote:Like this isn't every little thing, but there's a line and discretion that should be exercised that I'd hope everyone is capable of having.
Don't tell people in your game personal stuff you don't want others to know. I will gladly trade it for in game advantages. And you don't know if it's me. And if you think you've figured out its me, then you're violating the anonymity of the game in a way that is destructive.
But what advantages are you trading it for?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #515 (isolation #74) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Hint: The answer is "usually not anything meaningful except coming across as an asshole"
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #521 (isolation #75) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 518, zoraster wrote:
In post 514, BROseidon wrote:
In post 508, zoraster wrote:
In post 504, BROseidon wrote:Like this isn't every little thing, but there's a line and discretion that should be exercised that I'd hope everyone is capable of having.
Don't tell people in your game personal stuff you don't want others to know. I will gladly trade it for in game advantages. And you don't know if it's me. And if you think you've figured out its me, then you're violating the anonymity of the game in a way that is destructive.
But what advantages are you trading it for?
How should I know? Things can happen in a million ways.
Generally speaking, telling people about other people's personal shit for personal gain makes you look shitty.

You can't pretend the social game doesn't exist. People will think you're an asshole, and assholes don't win (speaking in the context of the character you're playing, not you as a person)
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #523 (isolation #76) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Well Kawazu won but he won 5-4 against a guy who literally said he did nothing and didn't deserve to win in FTC so yeah.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #524 (isolation #77) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 520, Vijarada wrote:Look guys let's not argue with bro over this. He can call whoever he likes a dick. Its just really clear the rest of the community disagrees, and can laugh at him when he does. Cool?
I mean, yeah, you can.

Return to “Social Game Archive”