Newbie 1781 - Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Sagittarius
Sagittarius
Goon
Sagittarius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Post by Sagittarius »

In post 197, rb wrote: Clarify on the meaning of 'destro is something'?

I feel like this is a pretty safe stance to make on the leading wagon, whether destro flips scum or town and it seems to me that anyone's top priority right now would be to sort destro. I don't want to end games early, but why are you more interested in shifting focus OFF destro and onto someone else? Is it because you think destro's town? Or is he just your scumbuddy? ;)
It means he's something.

I said I didn't want to lynch him. So yes, I think he's town. And while I'm all for pressuring, everyone's already on his ass. Why are you discouraging discussion on other people?
Tarkus wrote:That’s a stretch. I just wanted to add my thoughts on it. If you think following up on my own posts is scummy, you’ll be reading me wrong all game.
Not all I said, mate. A big part of it is how unnatural it felt. You just went for the easier part to break down and ignored the rest of the read.
Tarkus
Tarkus
Goon
Tarkus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Post by Tarkus »

Yeah I went for the easier part, and it seemed kinda important from the way you presented it. Idk I was just getting into the game then, and I said something that was on my mind and that I thought would get a response from fykus.
Sagittarius
Sagittarius
Goon
Sagittarius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Post by Sagittarius »

Hmmm yeah okay you're right. But you're not curious about why I think your post was fake?
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Post by rb »

In post 200, Sagittarius wrote:
In post 197, rb wrote: Clarify on the meaning of 'destro is something'?

I feel like this is a pretty safe stance to make on the leading wagon, whether destro flips scum or town and it seems to me that anyone's top priority right now would be to sort destro. I don't want to end games early, but why are you more interested in shifting focus OFF destro and onto someone else? Is it because you think destro's town? Or is he just your scumbuddy? ;)
It means he's something.

I said I didn't want to lynch him. So yes, I think he's town. And while I'm all for pressuring, everyone's already on his ass. Why are you discouraging discussion on other people?
Tarkus wrote:That’s a stretch. I just wanted to add my thoughts on it. If you think following up on my own posts is scummy, you’ll be reading me wrong all game.
Not all I said, mate. A big part of it is how unnatural it felt. You just went for the easier part to break down and ignored the rest of the read.
Why's he town then?

I'm not diacouraging anything, I wanna know why you're taking no real stance on the leading wagon and then moving onto others. If it's because you think someone's town that's important, but 'he is something' is a really ambiguous thing that leaves you a lot of room to wriggle about your reluctance to vote for Destro later on, if he does get lynched today.
Aatami
Aatami
Townie
Aatami
Townie
Townie

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Post by Aatami »

In post 196, Sagittarius wrote:But I didn't ask about Destro. :(
I know, I meant I still wanted more from Lemons, I was just adding that I still feel this way about Destro.

I want to pressure others, because for the time being this is sort of a dead end until we get some more to work with, but Im not quite sure how to do that any advice(this is to everyone), how can I effectively scumhunt without a ton of content or just look im repeating what others have said even if i agree?
Sagittarius
Sagittarius
Goon
Sagittarius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Post by Sagittarius »

I explicitly said I did not want to lynch Destro twice, implied I had a townread on him once, and then stated it outright later on. Pretty unambiguous to me.

Destro is acting weird. He is everywhere. That's why I'm townreading him, i.e. it's tonal. I don't trust Accountant either, so it's a given I'm not going to shake a pitchfork his way.
Aatami wrote:I know, I meant I still wanted more from Lemons, I was just adding that I still feel this way about Destro.

I want to pressure others, because for the time being this is sort of a dead end until we get some more to work with, but Im not quite sure how to do that any advice(this is to everyone), how can I effectively scumhunt without a ton of content or just look im repeating what others have said even if i agree?
Oh, okay. Cool.

Y'know, that's a fine question. I'd answer but I just lurk when I don't have anything to say. It's a bad habit. Don't do it.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:10 pm

Post by Huntress »

Vote Count 1.6HighKingDestro (2) - Aatami, Fykus
Creature (2) - EccentricLemon, HighKingDestro
EccentricLemon (2) - rb, Tarkus
Tarkus (2) - Creature, Sagittarius

Not voting (1) - Accountant

With nine players alive, it takes five votes to lynch.

Deadline for Day One is Wednesday, 22nd March 4.30 pm GMT, (in (expired on 2017-03-22 16:30:00)).
Tarkus
Tarkus
Goon
Tarkus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:43 am

Post by Tarkus »

In post 202, Sagittarius wrote:Hmmm yeah okay you're right. But you're not curious about why I think your post was fake?
Assumed it was just a general feeling in addition to what you've said already, but yeah if you have more to the read then lay it out. It may give insight into what I'm more curious about as well.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:39 am

Post by rb »

In post 204, Aatami wrote:
In post 196, Sagittarius wrote:But I didn't ask about Destro. :(
I know, I meant I still wanted more from Lemons, I was just adding that I still feel this way about Destro.

From an IC perspective there's no way to 'do it' you just do it. Ask questions of people, clarify their meanings, analyse points. Nothing's solid early game, you just have to fling some mud and see whose clothes come out dirty.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:02 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 190, Sagittarius wrote:Hi. Catching up now, posting as I go.
In post 55, Tarkus wrote:That seems like a pretty weak reason considering how cautious you were in bringing it out, but I think I might get why you did it that way. What do you think about his response?
In post 56, Tarkus wrote:To me, it sounds a bit like someone worried about being called out and scumread by you. Bringing up the 1-shot BP claim strategy in that moment feels weird to me, when "who is the scum" should've been the obvious first response.
Eight minutes between these two posts. Don't like it. It's like you tacked the bottom on because you thought it'd looked better, and it doesn't sound genuine either.

VOTE: Tarkus
Why do you think that the latter is Tarkus tacking something on as opposed to Tarkus suddenly realizing something 8 minutes later and going back to add something?
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:31 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 192, Sagittarius wrote:Lemon's fine. Don't blame her for preferring the comfort of the picket fence instead of the prickly dead grass.

Destro is something. Don't feel like lynching him right now.
What is this nonsense? Why don't you blame Lemon for fencesitting?

Why don't you feel like lynching Destro?

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:32 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 193, Sagittarius wrote:You really think Destro can do this?
yes

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:47 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 193, Sagittarius wrote:Why scum hesitance instead of town hesitance?
Could be town hesitance. I'm not discounting the possibility. That is why I am going after Destro instead of Lemons.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:48 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 193, Sagittarius wrote:On the other hand, Lemon is betraying my trust by giving them a townread after snarling at them so hard. Still don't want to lynch her though.
you said earlier that you don't want to lynch lemons because you don't see why people SR them - now that you've identified an actual piece of scummy behavior, what's keeping ou reluctant about the lemon wagon?

Sagittarius
Sagittarius
Goon
Sagittarius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:37 am

Post by Sagittarius »

In post 207, Tarkus wrote:Assumed it was just a general feeling in addition to what you've said already, but yeah if you have more to the read then lay it out. It may give insight into what I'm more curious about as well.
In post 209, Accountant wrote: Why do you think that the latter is Tarkus tacking something on as opposed to Tarkus suddenly realizing something 8 minutes later and going back to add something?
Here are the posts.
In post 55, Tarkus wrote:That seems like a pretty weak reason considering how cautious you were in bringing it out, but
I think I might get why you did it that way
. What do you think about his response?
In post 56, Tarkus wrote:To me, it sounds a bit like someone worried about being called out and scumread by you. Bringing up the 1-shot BP claim strategy in that moment feels weird to me, when "who is the scum" should've been the obvious first response.
I actually misread the underlined part to be referring to Fykus. Sorry about that. Doesn't really change much though.
  1. There wasn't any transition. Eight minutes is a long time. Realizations often come shorter. If it had been maybe one or two minutes between it wouldn't've been a problem, but eight minutes makes me think he had an ulterior motive there. I could think of possibly one or maybe two reasons why he'd do such a thing as town but I'd like to hear it from his mouth before I drop it.

2. "Worried about being called out and scumread" is textbook. Which is pretty okay, but not here. There is nothing that could've made Fykus think Creature was talking about him. He had one post before Creature mentioned it, and sure, he was posting elsewhere, but people who are truly worried about being called out for lurking will not lurk in the first place. So I'm pretty sure Tarkus just pulled the first thing that sounded like it fit and called it a day.

3. The claiming suggestion was within the same minute of "sure let's hear it." Seems like Fykus didn't see Creature's post until he posted himself. Even if Tarkus wasn't paying attention to timestamps, they were still immediately after one another, and incriminating Fykus for bringing up the BP claim strat before asking who's scum doesn't make sense considering mafia has zero motive to do that in this situation.
Short version: Tarkus and I have unbridgeable hunting styles or he's scum. I think he's scum. But I'm still curious about what he's curious about.
In post 210, Accountant wrote:What is this nonsense? Why don't you blame Lemon for fencesitting?

Why don't you feel like lynching Destro?
How dare you. I am
very
sensible.

Lemons doesn't sound like fencesitting scum. She does sound afraid, but what she most definitely did not make a safe read. She called out an SE. If she really wanted to stay safe, she'd just cut it off at "I don't see how you could read Fykus that early" because nobody asked her what she thought of Creature. So I think she's just town thinking out loud. Would make sense with her discouragement of "spontaneity." See my elaboration on Destro here.
In post 213, Accountant wrote: you said earlier that you don't want to lynch lemons because you don't see why people SR them - now that you've identified an actual piece of scummy behavior, what's keeping ou reluctant about the lemon wagon?
Others are scummier. That tidbit in particular wasn't scummy enough that it'd flip my read. Thinking about it a little more and putting it into context I can easily see it consistent with the rest of her behaviour.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:40 am

Post by Creature »

Self-reminder to read all Sagittarius' posts.
Sigh
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:50 am

Post by Huntress »

Fykus has been prodded.
Tarkus
Tarkus
Goon
Tarkus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:07 am

Post by Tarkus »

In post 214, Sagittarius wrote: Here are the posts.
In post 55, Tarkus wrote:That seems like a pretty weak reason considering how cautious you were in bringing it out, but
I think I might get why you did it that way
. What do you think about his response?
I actually misread the underlined part to be referring to Fykus. Sorry about that. Doesn't really change much though.
  1. There wasn't any transition. Eight minutes is a long time. Realizations often come shorter. If it had been maybe one or two minutes between it wouldn't've been a problem, but eight minutes makes me think he had an ulterior motive there. I could think of possibly one or maybe two reasons why he'd do such a thing as town but I'd like to hear it from his mouth before I drop it.

2. "Worried about being called out and scumread" is textbook. Which is pretty okay, but not here. There is nothing that could've made Fykus think Creature was talking about him. He had one post before Creature mentioned it, and sure, he was posting elsewhere, but people who are truly worried about being called out for lurking will not lurk in the first place. So I'm pretty sure Tarkus just pulled the first thing that sounded like it fit and called it a day.

3. The claiming suggestion was within the same minute of "sure let's hear it." Seems like Fykus didn't see Creature's post until he posted himself. Even if Tarkus wasn't paying attention to timestamps, they were still immediately after one another, and incriminating Fykus for bringing up the BP claim strat before asking who's scum doesn't make sense considering mafia has zero motive to do that in this situation.
Short version: Tarkus and I have unbridgeable hunting styles or he's scum. I think he's scum. But I'm still curious about what he's curious about.
Ooo this was a more thought-out read than I gave it credit for at first, ok so

1. I multitask a lot, practically constantly. I wasn't staring at my screen for 8 minutes trying to come up with something to add, but I was thinking about it still, and decided to lay out where my head was at before hearing from creature.
2. I was thinking at the time that lurking scum would want to be quick to respond to that callout due to paranoia. Maybe they weren't really worried about lurking before, cause it was early, but creature's post gave them an "o shit" moment.
3. This is mostly fair. But I didn't "incriminate" fykus, and I brought up that point about the lack of mafia motive myself. If I thought I had a strong read I would've voted him. I was struggling to sort him and was trying to look at it from different angles, get my thought process on the table, and hear more from him.

I don't think I have much of a defined hunting style yet, and definitely didn't at the start of the game. What I'm curious about is if you're town coming in with a fresh perspective and an honest hunt, or if you're scum trying to push a new wagon and defend lemon/destro. If you're town I think we'll be able to bridge the gap :wink:
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:37 am

Post by Creature »

In post 216, Huntress wrote:

Fykus has been prodded.
Bad
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:37 am

Post by Creature »

Should've sticked with my Fykus scumread.
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:39 am

Post by Creature »

In post 42, Fykus wrote:Are we gonna do that bulletproof reveal schtick that seems to be the craze these days or na?
Should we?
Sigh
Sagittarius
Sagittarius
Goon
Sagittarius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:07 am

Post by Sagittarius »

In post 217, Tarkus wrote:Ooo this was a more thought-out read than I gave it credit for at first, ok so

1. I multitask a lot, practically constantly. I wasn't staring at my screen for 8 minutes trying to come up with something to add, but I was thinking about it still, and decided to lay out where my head was at before hearing from creature.
2. I was thinking at the time that lurking scum would want to be quick to respond to that callout due to paranoia. Maybe they weren't really worried about lurking before, cause it was early, but creature's post gave them an "o shit" moment.
3. This is mostly fair. But I didn't "incriminate" fykus, and I brought up that point about the lack of mafia motive myself. If I thought I had a strong read I would've voted him. I was struggling to sort him and was trying to look at it from different angles, get my thought process on the table, and hear more from him.

I don't think I have much of a defined hunting style yet, and definitely didn't at the start of the game. What I'm curious about is if you're town coming in with a fresh perspective and an honest hunt, or if you're scum trying to push a new wagon and defend lemon/destro. If you're town I think we'll be able to bridge the gap :wink:
1. Did you reach the conclusion in #56 before or after #55?
2. That'd make sense if there was evidence to back it up. But there isn't.
3. Sorry, misinterpreted this part. But I'm talking about why you said it's weird that Fykus would mention it before asking who's scum, not why he brought it up in the first place.

You're speaking in past tense here. So what's the verdict? Still "tentative town"?
Fykus
Fykus
Mafia Scum
Fykus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:31 am

Post by Fykus »

Sorry I hadn't even realised that I hadnt posted for however the long the prod period is. Will go back through the thread after work and see if I can post something of substance.
Tarkus
Tarkus
Goon
Tarkus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:49 am

Post by Tarkus »

1. I was mulling it over before.
2. Well he was lurking, and he did post right after the callout. Not a strong argument given the content of the posts I'll admit, could easily be town trying to get into the game and offer something but I wanted him to come in and talk more.
3. It just felt weird at the time really, like why would you say this right now when someone supposedly found scum. Looking back and after hearing your points I do think I was probably off base.

Still don't have him sorted, and a lot's gone on since then but he hasn't done much aside from stating intent to L1 destro and then eventually doing it. Verdict is pretty null right now.
Tarkus
Tarkus
Goon
Tarkus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:58 am

Post by Tarkus »

In post 220, Creature wrote:
In post 42, Fykus wrote:Are we gonna do that bulletproof reveal schtick that seems to be the craze these days or na?
Should we?
Well we're about halfway there. What do you think?

Link to ongoing game removed.
Last edited by Huntress on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”