Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
ChrisOrmie
ChrisOrmie
Goon
ChrisOrmie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2682 (isolation #0) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:28 am

Post by ChrisOrmie »

Wife and some friends are big boardgamers.
Recently played Sheriff of Nottingham and had a blast, Love Letter was cool too for a quick game. Bought but have yet to play Catan, Pandemic, and Oregon Trail Card Game. Also buying Forbidden Island from BGG as it's been on the wishlist for a while and thought it was about time to try it out. Going to enjoy these! :lol:
Ride forth you merry gentlemen of yore and tell the lords of Hades that we come for to claim their heads in the names of vengeance and righteousness!
ChrisOrmie
ChrisOrmie
Goon
ChrisOrmie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2684 (isolation #1) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Post by ChrisOrmie »

In post 2683, Equinox wrote:Oh, hey, someone else bought the Oregon Trail Card Game, too. Make sure to check the
rules updates
when you play.
Ah had no idea about these. Good to know, thanks!
Ride forth you merry gentlemen of yore and tell the lords of Hades that we come for to claim their heads in the names of vengeance and righteousness!
ChrisOrmie
ChrisOrmie
Goon
ChrisOrmie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2690 (isolation #2) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:00 am

Post by ChrisOrmie »

In post 2687, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 2685, PJ. wrote:Okay, I want an easy-ish worker placement game to add to my collection and learn/teach my girlfriend/other non-girlfriend people. I was thinking Kanagawa but I'm not sure how "worker placement"-y it is. Any suggestions?
Lords of Waterdeep is like "Baby's First Worker Placement"
Yeah Lords of Waterdeep is a good worker placement game, played it once (with 3 non-gamers) and it only took around 10 minutes before everyone was getting into it. It's on my wishlist for when I get some money later.
ChrisOrmie
ChrisOrmie
Goon
ChrisOrmie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2707 (isolation #3) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Post by ChrisOrmie »

Carcassonne is a good game, but not so simple - or at least it took a game or two before I started getting the hang of it. This might speak more about me than the game though as quite a few people find it simple! :lol:
ChrisOrmie
ChrisOrmie
Goon
ChrisOrmie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2716 (isolation #4) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:23 am

Post by ChrisOrmie »

In post 2711, Vaxkiller wrote:A friend of mine just got Settlers of Catan and hes bring it over in a few weeks for a few of us to play. Any tips or tricks? Is it a complicated game? DO I need to read the rules ahead of time?
Just remember not to laugh when insisting people need to trade you sheep in exchange for wood. Just keep a straight face and get insistent that you have "wood for sheep". Happens in every game, might as well be the person to do it! :lol:
ChrisOrmie
ChrisOrmie
Goon
ChrisOrmie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2720 (isolation #5) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:56 am

Post by ChrisOrmie »

Yeah, I've seen it played a bunch but only got to play Secret Hitler once (online with some UK freinds). It's a great game! :D
ChrisOrmie
ChrisOrmie
Goon
ChrisOrmie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2756 (isolation #6) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:36 am

Post by ChrisOrmie »

Dead of Winter and Mice and Mystics are both great games, I can highly recommend those two. I do find Forbidden Desert to be a fun co-op personally, but the two times I played it the other players just didn't enjoy it (they were non-gamers unless it is Life/Clue/Monopoly that I had convinced to give it a try), so waiting to play that with the wife and friends before deciding on it.
ChrisOrmie
ChrisOrmie
Goon
ChrisOrmie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2820 (isolation #7) » Wed May 17, 2017 10:58 am

Post by ChrisOrmie »

Accessibility, co-operation, chance, socially manipulative, immersion, social fun, discovery, and strategic. In that order, which I pretty much thought would be the case. I'm a fan of teaching people how to play games, and being part of a team. Dislike conflict in games, but a bit of unease and tension with a possible traitor is cool. Overall pretty good.

Return to “The Arcade”