MafiaWiki Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #405 (isolation #0) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Post by mastina »

List of a few things I'd like articles on, even if they are short stubs:
  • Player:
    A person who is playing (rather than moderating) in a Mafia Game.
    (I mean I know it might sound ridiculous but I think it has use. We have an article on Game Moderator; why not one on a Player?)
  • Logic:
    A process of objective reasoning.
    (I have numerous reasons for wanting something like this. We have a category for Logical Fallacies, which is basically "flawed logic", but we don't have an article on what Logic actually
    is
    .)
  • Gut:
    Something based off of instinct rather than hard fact.
    (I mean this isn't the definition *I* would use for Gut, but it's the definition most people hold for Gut. We lack an article on it currently and it is absolutely shameful that the mafiascum wiki lacks an article on one of THE most fundamental things spanning across every site which plays mafia.)
  • Reads:
    A player's given perspective on other players.
  • Readslist:
    A form of a player revealing their reads on other players.
  • Scumread:
    A player holding the opinion of someone being scum.
  • Townread:
    A player holding the opinion of a player being town.
  • Null:
    An action or read which is neither town nor scum.
    (We don't have an article on ANY of these?!? Why the fuck not?)
  • Wallposter:
    A player who frequently or entirely posts in Walls.
  • Spamposter:
    A player who frequently or entirely posts many shorter posts, the opposite of wallposting.
  • Objective/Objectivity:
    Without bias of opinion; using nothing but undeniable facts/truth.
  • Subjective/Subjectivity:
    Using personal bias/opinion; interpretation using assumptions that are not undeniable.
  • Not Alignment Indicative:
    AKA, NAI. Something which holds no bearing to alignment.
    (AKA, the people who are too new to know that's what null means using different slang. :P)
I mean, most of these definitions are pretty crappy, but they'd be better than literally nothing, which is what we have on ALL of the above right now.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #406 (isolation #1) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Post by mastina »

For that matter,
  • We could use alternative terminology here. "Narrator" and "Host", among others, are common alternative terms for Game Moderator used on other sites, and I feel listing them as alternative names somewhere on the page itself (maybe they exist as redirects, but I think we can do better than that) would be useful.
  • It could probably be made clearer that this page is for the faction simply by changing the title (if that's viable) to "Mafia (faction)".
    Furthermore
    , we have a page called scum, which could be linked on there but currently is not. Additionally, and this is actually my main gripe: "Mafiate" is a commonly used term, even more so than "Mafioso", yet it is not listed as a term on the page.
  • We have a page for "scumtell" and "towntell", but no generic page for just "
    tell
    ", which I think would be useful.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #409 (isolation #2) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 408, Postie wrote:
In post 405, mastina wrote:
Readslist:
A form of a player revealing their reads on other players.
I think the idea is to have a page that just explains what a readlist is, rather than a guide on how to make one.
Yeah, that is what I meant. Readslist as a concept (which is common and used on almost every site which plays mafia), not readlist as a specific theory (which is opinionated).
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #441 (isolation #3) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 433, Mathdino wrote:More controversially, I'm removing:
HoS
: I see FoS occasionally, but HoS has phased out almost completely I think.
IME
: In My Experience, no one seems to abbreviate this simple phrase.
MFoS
: Middle Finger of Suspicion? No.
RTFT
: Read The Fucking Thread? Noooope.
Um.
What.

Those are all.

Common mafiascum things.
In post 433, Mathdino wrote:Maybe an Outdated category?
I wouldn't recommend that, per se, but I would recommend Publish Dates, Last Revised dates (just adding Publish Dates/categories not counting as a revision; a revision in this case is CONTENT changed), and greater use of an existing category I'll track down in a sec, more or less one which is "site history". (Yes there is a category for that, believe it or not. I don't remember it's name, but it basically is "this is for things which are significant for their past value to the site but which are not as pertinent now", more or less.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #471 (isolation #4) » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:47 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 455, Mathdino wrote:I found the template {{Outofdate}}
I believe this is what I had seen before when I said there was an existing category.
Close enough. :P (Same function, more or less.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #475 (isolation #5) » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:04 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 474, RadiantCowbells wrote:think that's better served by having SEs and ICs actually take an interest in the newbies in the games that they were in and do a better job teaching
I do echo this for what it's worth. I'd offer my assistance were I able to but I know that with how busy I am now that'd be unwise. (And even if I weren't working two jobs, it's questionable on whether I can actually DO the "better job" in the first place.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #494 (isolation #6) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:16 pm

Post by mastina »

By the way, did you know we have a page for VCA?

The problem is, you can't find it by searching for VCA because it's not called Votecount Analysis or Vote Count Analysis or anything of the sort.

Of all things, it is called...Voting patterns. Now, I imagine that this is what VCA used to be called. I've never known VCA by any name other than VCA, but I was not on the site back when this page was made, it's that archaic and old. I would not recommend deleting the page (because there is stuff linking to it), but I would recommend an overhaul of some sort, such that a page on VCA has the current terminology in place, referencing both what it is now and what it was back then, more or less.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #496 (isolation #7) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:25 pm

Post by mastina »

What I more or less have in mind:
Vote Count Analysis

(Redirects in play: Votecount Analysis; Voting patterns; Voting Patterns, any other redirects which currently exist, maybe also VCA unless you want VCA to redirect to common abbreviations.)
Vote Count Analysis, commonly abbreviated VCA, originally referred to as Voting Patterns, is analyzing the way players [VOTE: ] in an effort to help determine who is [[Scum]].

For example, if someone is on a lot of scum lynches, it could point to them being [[Town|town]] (or vice-versa). A common "separation tactic" is for [[Mafia]] players to vote each other early in [[Random Voting]] to appear that they don't know each other.

Different actions taken by a voter may look Scummy or pro-town, and further their suspicion/defense. For example, if someone is exibiting Wishy-Washy Voting, they may be scum.

Watching voting patterns is one of the things you can do in an online Mafia game that you would be unable to do in a MeatWorld game.

...And then, adding things as we see fit, and editing them, to give a more in-depth response. (This was just my starting point; I would expect the final product to be different.) What I'm proposing, more or less, would be to have a way of referring to what it is now, but to not lose the descriptor of what it was originally, to keep the history behind what it is and yet make it more pertinent to its modern usage.

(By the way, we really need an article on fencesitting which also uses other common terminologies, e.g. wishy-washy, that refer to the same or a similar enough concept.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #497 (isolation #8) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:29 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 495, Mathdino wrote:a quick fix if you find out that the wiki doesn't have the right page for something
but has a similar page
is to just make a redirect, mastina
redirect would look like this
create the VCA page and make the only text: #REDIRECT [[Voting patterns]]
that's it
I know how to make redirects, Mathdino. I do that all the time. I just think that's probably not the best solution. The page I'm pretty sure predates my having joined mafiascum. It's oooooooooooooooold. And while it is in fact, to some extent, timeless...the page would be far more useful if it had a more modern explanation, so to speak.

I'm not sure if I can explain that better. But basically, as it is right now, the page shows its age. It's useful, sure. And having it be linked to VCA would be more useful, yeah. But it's still...notably dated. You look at the page and you can tell when it was made because you can tell it is old from the infancy of the wiki.

While I maintain we shouldn't lose the history behind that page, that we should have it recorded what it was back then more or less...we need a rehaul there.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #499 (isolation #9) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:08 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 498, Mathdino wrote:but i had the idea over dinner to just put all the VCA related glossary terms in that page
onwagon, offwagon, counterwagon, retaliatory wagon, vanity wagon, bussing/distancing (with links to their own pages), neverbussing, etc
if you upload your description i'll get to work on adding the terms
You weren't sure how to write a good intro/description, I wasn't sure how to write a good body for the "meat" of the article more or less, I've done my part and outlined a few things I think should be done, so now it's your turn. :P
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #500 (isolation #10) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:13 pm

Post by mastina »

Also, probably something which should be linked in said article: we have a page for bandwagons. Not counterwagons, mind you (that might exist but if so I don't recall where off the top of my head), and yes it is pretty old so in of itself could likely use a little touch-up, but it's something existing which is innately tied to VCA in that VCA is analyzing bandwagons visible on votecounts.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”