The Importance of Transparency, Cooperation & Effort as Town

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #82 (isolation #0) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Post by Accountant »

I have a policy of always being clear and explaining the reasoning behind everything I do. I never act on gut reads, even though I have them often.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #84 (isolation #1) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:56 am

Post by Accountant »

The question "how accurate are my gutreads vs my justified reads?" can be trivially solved. Just a reminder.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #89 (isolation #2) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:13 am

Post by Accountant »

I ignore gut reads that I can't justify.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #90 (isolation #3) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:13 am

Post by Accountant »

If my gut was really so good at catching scum, it should be smart enough to give me reasons.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #92 (isolation #4) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:28 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 91, Infinity 324 wrote:I don't think that logic follows. Being articulate =/= being accurate.
Well, you need both to convince others to lynch.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #94 (isolation #5) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:04 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 93, Infinity 324 wrote:Convincing others is obviously going to be pretty hard if you can't explain your reasoning, but that doesn't mean you can't vote based on that.
Great way to make yourself look like someone who stubbornly follows bad gut reads and refuses to give real reasons for their vote, thus making it even harder to push the wagon to a lynch.

It's the sort of player that places a one vote vanity wagon on a player, yell at others for not sheeping them, and then complain that nobody listened to them postgame.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #98 (isolation #6) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:36 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 95, Creature wrote:If nobody else even touched that "vanity wagon", then town actually sucked, not particularly that player.
Uhhhh no

You don't suck for not hopping on an unexplained vanity wagon

And that player sucks for not doing their job and convincing the rest of the town to lynch scum

Town wants to
lynch
scum, not just find it

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #99 (isolation #7) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:38 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 97, Infinity 324 wrote:But you could just say "I have a strong gut scumread on x but I'm having difficulty explaining it. If a wagon pops up on x, I'll join it."
That's fine. But remember this. Gut reads do not materialize from thin air. They are an expression of your subconscious mind trying to tell you something is off. Engage with X, find what it was trying to tell you, put it down in words and turn that nebulous gut read into a real, firm
case
. And THEN you can start/join the wagon and it will likely attract other players too.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #101 (isolation #8) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:13 am

Post by Accountant »

Most likely/realistically the wagon got a couple votes before melting away to join wagons with actual reasoning.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #106 (isolation #9) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:04 am

Post by Accountant »

First of all, Infinity, how do you think a gut read forms? I mean on a cognitive level, how does your brain send the gut signals to you?

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #126 (isolation #10) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:36 pm

Post by Accountant »

I thought mafia was a game about arguing

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #129 (isolation #11) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 127, RadiantCowbells wrote:What I end up hearing from most of the 'argument strength is best!' crowd is that you just have to lynch these people.
ppl who say that are really dumb

BUT

I think not explaining your reads/intentionally being obtuse is definitely scummy as fuck, unless rendered NAI due to established meta.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #130 (isolation #12) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:13 pm

Post by Accountant »

like town has no reason to be obtuse about shit barring gambits or whatever. even you, RC, always make it clear "I want X lynched, I think Y is town" even when you're being at your most cryptic

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #140 (isolation #13) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Post by Accountant »

RC I think we don't disagree about anything substantive here

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #142 (isolation #14) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Post by Accountant »

Yeah you and wgeurts sort yourselves out. Thanks for the civil discussion.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #155 (isolation #15) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:07 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 148, Infinity 324 wrote:
In post 106, Accountant wrote:First of all, Infinity, how do you think a gut read forms? I mean on a cognitive level, how does your brain send the gut signals to you?
Well obviously there's some way it happens. And sometimes you can find that way. But sometimes you can't, and that doesn't mean you throw the read in the trash.
If I can't find the way, why should I have any reason to trust the read? Isn't it akin to a suspicious stranger knocking on my door?

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #157 (isolation #16) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:13 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 156, Infinity 324 wrote:If your gut reads have been accurate in the past, then yeah you have a reason to trust the read. If they haven't, you don't.
Here's the way I see it.

Your mind is your property. There's theoretically nothing that you should be unable to uncover the root of inside your mind, because, y'know, it's your mind. In this manner, there should be no such thing as an unexplainable gut read. All gut reads should be able to be transformed into accurate, explained reads, which are better beacuse more people will follow you.

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #168 (isolation #17) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:25 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 161, Psyche wrote:Accountant's wrong, theoretically. Most of what happens in the brain, especially how things happen in the brain, aren't consciously inspectable. That's, uh, why introspectionism is no longer a thing in psych or neuro.
You're positing that gut reads happen in the part of the brain that isn't consciously inspectable?

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #170 (isolation #18) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:15 am

Post by Accountant »

Oh. I didnt know that

Return to “Mafia Discussion”