Compromised password w/ no email, need to regain identity

Obsolete, fixed, and incorrect bug requests and problems. Browse here before posting a new topic, to avoid duplicates.
hackdmemaybe
hackdmemaybe
Watcher
hackdmemaybe
Watcher
Watcher

Compromised password w/ no email, need to regain identity

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Post by hackdmemaybe »

Hey guys. The person who made this account is popsofctown, but I am no longer able to log in as such. I think I'm a somewhat familiar figure on mafiascum.

I am active about half the time, and this evening I felt like logging in for kicks, and found I could not.

I had a habit of using a relatively insecure password across many sites for a good while. Any site where someone else getting into my account wouldn't cost me 20$ of value, I used the same insecure password. This is one such site.

My username is identical on reddit, and some ~7 months hence, my reddit account was compromised by an IP address originating from China. Since I'm pretty sure I haven't logged into this site since that discovery, my best explanation for why I can't log into my account anymore is that the same person/automation that compromised by reddit account automatically attempted the same login on this site, and then made an automated navigation to the "change password" function to consolidate gains. I really doubt I changed my password then forgot, it doesn't seem like something I'd do.

The expected story might be that my recovery email uses the same insecure password as mafiascum itself, but actually I just forgot the password to that email sometime around 2009. I made an email address in middle school, made a bunch of accounts using it, then went without checking email so long I forgot the pass. My facebook account actually still has it registered as the backup email, which is kinda scary, but like, I've never forgotten my Facebook password, so that's been cool so far.

I really like popsofctown written exactly that way, so I would love it if I could possibly verify my identity with other methods and work with mafiascum IT/administration to return my account to my control with a new password. I can propose the following as methods of verifying my identity before giving me the account:

1. I still have access to my League of Legends account, (worth more than 20$ to me). It is not named popsofctown, because I didn't want a lowercase name floating over my head in that game, but I played League with several scummers through scumchat as popsofctown, including Khelavaster, Nuwen, Flaminghito (ran into him on twitch the other day, guess I should change that password too..), Untrod Tripod, and pickemgenius. I could log into chat there and confirm I made this thread and/or receive new log-in details there.
2. My dominionstrategy account didn't seem to be compromised, although it used the same pass. I've PMed mith on that site before, so that account can corroborate my identity. Also, that popsofctown is on record spending an awful lot of effort getting the mafia portion of that web site going so even if mith is too busy to corroborate that it seems pretty clear that's not someone who just happens to like the username
3. There's other sites where I've used the characters popsofctown written exactly that way. I checked my Kongregate account, and it's not compromised, I haven't check my mtgsalvation, smashboards, or AIM account to see whether they are compromised. Generally these accounts have the downside of not really making it clear they are truly part of the same online persona rather than having some kind of coincidental penchant for the character string popsofctown.
4. If you want to set up a time to Skype me and ask me random arbitrary questions about my play history on mafiascum, I'm down for that.

Thanks for any help I can get.
hackdmemaybe
hackdmemaybe
Watcher
hackdmemaybe
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:09 pm

Post by hackdmemaybe »

I also think I'm still on the scummers list on Facebook that I reluctantly joined, it just doesn't naturally jump to mind as a method I wanna do since my facebook account is so insecure and is just kinda gonna stay that way until someone actually hacks it (one day someone will bruteforce the insecure-yet-forgotten-middle-schooler-password on the yahoo email backing it up and then it will be theirs, and it could be any moment.)
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:32 am

Post by Kison »

I see you changed your password on November 16th, using a similar IP from which you're posting right now. My guess is you did so because of and forgot.

If you still have access to your AIM account, message me on there. We used to talk there a fair bit.
hackdmemaybe
hackdmemaybe
Watcher
hackdmemaybe
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:29 am

Post by hackdmemaybe »

Well if I was truly the one who changed it, there are a few passes I could try.

I bet my aim works just fine, I'll hit you up when I'm not at work.
ConnorJC
ConnorJC
Goon
ConnorJC
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:34 am

Post by ConnorJC »

You should really try out a password manager, and change your passwords to something more secure (and unique).
And you, random viewer that is not popsofctown, should also try out a password manager if you aren't already using one.
Want to help with site development? PM Kison
Want to test new features? https://forum.staging.mafiascum.net (Probably still want to PM Kison)
hackdmemaybe
hackdmemaybe
Watcher
hackdmemaybe
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Post by hackdmemaybe »

I used to be a skeptic on those but after Cloudbleed it's harder to say they're not worth the trouble
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:45 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Thanks kk]ison
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
zakk
zakk
Jack of All Trades
zakk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:55 pm

Post by zakk »

Welcome back pops you damn impostor !!! :) jk
permanently retired