Spectators

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Spectators

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:36 am

Post by pablito »

I think there's been a bit of discussion about the role of spectators - especially having posting access within confessionals. I've only really seen them here on this website and I know there are varying degrees of enthusiasm for them. I enjoy the role but I actually am not sure as a mod how I feel about the necessity for spectators to post in confessionals.

So without revealing any ongoing games, I guess it would be good to ask the following questions specific to the role of spectators posting within the confessional. I think there's little concern for spectator being allowed a separate forum for discussion.

A) how did spectating start here in the first place?
B) what specific roles do mods see for the spectators?
C) what roles have spectators believe they have filled in games before?
D) as a player, how likely would you post your thoughts without seeing posts from spectators?
Sup, later.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:56 am

Post by Xalxe »

D) Not at all
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:30 am

Post by Cephrir »

A) I don't know
B) I think they're seen as a good way to get players to post in their confessionals more. Some mods are motivated enough to keep asking confessional questions and also good at thinking of questions, but most have enough to do with the running of the game.
C) see above. Also, the spectators having a place to chat with each other keeps people interested in the community and in survivor while they're not playing imo.
D) I'd post no matter what. I like talking about myself, and writing my thoughts out helps me think.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:02 am

Post by MattP »

D) I would be way less likely to
SlappyKrust
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:18 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

I enjoy seeing spectators post or give feedback in my confessional, so I try to reciprocate that when I spectate.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:48 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

A) Spectators were somewhat bored, and wanted to ask questions. They didn't feel like they were getting the full story. We tried it out in a game with some restrictions, and it's stuck.
B) I think the role of specs is pretty well defined. I like that they can go about and ask questions and are occasionally important to a challenge or such.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:26 am

Post by hiplop »

A) how did spectating start here in the first place? idk
B) what specific roles do mods see for the spectators? I think they keep the game fun, exciting and give an audience aspect.
C) what roles have spectators believe they have filled in games before? idk
D) as a player, how likely would you post your thoughts without seeing posts from spectators? None. They are the reason I do it.

Spectators form an important function. As long as what they say is only said on the board and not in private, I think they are a benefit to the community in every way
third best scummer of all time
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:44 am

Post by MattP »

I actually think it would really actively harm the confessional process if they were removed for a lot of people, which would not only affect specs but also players who want to see other players thought processes post game

As a player specs have asked me questions that got out info I otherwise wouldnt have even considered sharing. Even if there was incentive to post in confessionals without spec prompting (like in LoL) I feel specs enhance confessional posting
SlappyKrust
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:45 am

Post by MattP »

If anything I would want specs to post more and have more incentive

Like I wish we had some way to express gratitude to people who have consistently enriched games as specs
SlappyKrust
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:42 am

Post by pablito »

In post 5, animorpherv1 wrote:A) Spectators were somewhat bored, and wanted to ask questions. They didn't feel like they were getting the full story. We tried it out in a game with some restrictions, and it's stuck.
B) I think the role of specs is pretty well defined. I like that they can go about and ask questions and are occasionally important to a challenge or such.
I won't disagree that specs enhance a game, but I think there's a line between what is needed for post game analysis and what is needed for spectator needs. That's why I'm not sure the role is defined.

I actually would like to hear more about the importance to a challenge, as that's a point not yet brought up.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:44 am

Post by pablito »

In post 6, hiplop wrote:
Spectators form an important function. As long as what they say is only said on the board and not in private, I think they are a benefit to the community in every way
Benefit yes, but is it a necessity?
Sup, later.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:06 am

Post by Shadoweh »

Why does it have to be a necessity? Is being a benefit not good enough? :P

We don't see it but I believe in actual confessionals on the show, the contestants get asked a lot of questions to answer. We only see the answer portions but it's not like they go off to randomly rant about Ozzy five hundred times just because he's always on their mind. People are more likely to talk when they're not talking to themselves, that's just psychology.
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:27 pm

Post by pablito »

If the cost of spectators outweighs the benefit that would be something to process. I think it's important to discuss the intent of having spectators inside confessionals to improve the process.

I think my question is why do spectators uniquely fill a role which mods or players can't fill.
Sup, later.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:35 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

You didn't outline a cost to having specs. The cost to not having specs is clearly less community engagement.
(something I think mafia games suffer from too, not being able to talk about a game for months is in general infuriating.)
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Mods are inherently different from specs because they have to run the game. Some mods ask lots of questions, some don't. Specs don't technically have a vested interest in the game being completed and don't have to spend a lot of their time worrying about other things, so while mods can fill this role, they don't always and if they have to or feel the need to, then it could end up interfering with other things in their lives.

Players are extremely different from specs because players have an agenda. When you talk to a spec, that spec may or may not be rooting for you, but cannot actively cause your downfall or help you succeed. Talking to players is work, effort. Talking to specs in a confessional is rest, it's more for synthesizing thoughts, organizing your head, cooling off from the work that it takes to play these games.

mods can fill the role but that's another burden on them and don't always, players can't because they're just different.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:51 pm

Post by hiplop »

Yeah I don't see what cost there is to specs
third best scummer of all time
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Post by Drench »

conclave had no spec posting and it was fucking shit
join your union
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:15 pm

specs could communicate through the mods, but yeah it wasn't ideal
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

-idk
-theyre people to talk to other than your comods. it's fun to see people get excited about the game & talk about it because nobody's gonna go back after the game and reread everything to be excited about it then. it's the only sense of a "omg live" feel

-i usually dont spectate because it's hard for me to keep up with players without knowing who they are.

D) as a player, how likely would you post your thoughts without seeing posts from spectators?
-almost literally zero chance. maybe for certain mods
green shirt thursdays
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Post by MattP »

One of my fave parts of the game is seeing everyones confessionals after
SlappyKrust
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Post by KingdomAces »

Mass Effect was the first game I spectated, and a quick look over that shows that was possibly one of the main games that popularized spectators posting in confessionals, as there were a massive amount of active ones there. The only reason it's allowed though is because Xalxe mentioned that being a feature of Mushroom Kingdom, which is basically the beginning of anonymous Survivors on MS. Before my time, so I don't know for sure, but anything recent, such as the ELOs or the rankdown, treats it as the first one. So basically the same IDK that everyone else is giving, with the bonus mention that it has
always
been something that was done.

I'm not a mod, but in terms of official roles sometimes spectators are used as judges in challenges that need them.

Usually as a spectator, I'm honestly mostly amusing myself. Sometimes I ask specific questions if there is a particular thing that is unclear, but usually it's just joking around and being sarcastic. I do want to say though, is that I don't remember the ability of spectators to post in confessionals ever causing a problem, despite that being a thing for a long time. I'm pretty sure the recent problem with spectators is solely about their actions in the spectator forums.

The first time I played a game of Mafia on this site, I kept a QT where I posted whatever my thoughts were at the time. I would talk in my confessional even if no one could actually see it, as I find it to be a good way to organize my thoughts and keep records of things. (And I kind of enjoy posting in my confessional FAR more than actually sending PMs, but I'm probably in the minority there. Sometimes I think I just like to hear myself type. Kind of like what I'm doing now.)
Never be sorry for your little time.

It's not when you get there, it's always the climb.
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:15 pm

Post by Vijarada »

In post 16, Drench wrote:conclave had no spec posting and it was fucking shit
yeah it was bad. spec posting makes me enjoy my confessional a lot more.
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:55 pm

Post by Vijarada »

In post 20, KingdomAces wrote: I do want to say though, is that I don't remember the ability of spectators to post in confessionals ever causing a problem, despite that being a thing for a long time. I'm pretty sure the recent problem with spectators is solely about their actions in the spectator forums.
yeah the recent stuff was just us being dicks in the spec forum. I do remember some drama in PSV with some specs crossing anonymity rules/expressing in strongly worded terms their opinion on the situation. Let's not mention that ever again.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 0, pablito wrote:A) how did spectating start here in the first place?
A) Personally i started spectating when I was cut from a player list. It's just a thing that happens here. I'm yet to play any offsite, but I believe all the ones I've located have something similar, whether they have posting access in confessionals or not (as I haven't looked at them harder than that). For in general, probably just someone asking if they could watch after a game filled, that or it was based on the same type of information that dead threads in mafia do, and how those sometimes attract additional spectators.

B) Keep the players engaged with finding out what is happening in the game, modding without information such as that just means we don't get as good games as the mods aren't able to deliver to the same quality of service.
They're also helpful in being able to occasionally help run challenges, and can also playtest things beforehand, and have an unbiased opinion without generally knowing who is behind each of the players. (although this lately isn't true)

C) I think I just answered this with my answer for B, probably because until I run a game with an additional use for them, the above answers are what i see as a spectator that generally hasn't actually done most of that stuff.

D) Based on how much I have posted in my confessionals between each of my games, I think how much I post in my confessional has actually become due to what I've seen in other people's confessionals after games have ended. I don't believe having the spectators there has directly help me post more than I otherwise would have, but it is hard to tell.
Like my first survivor (Mario Bros), I would probably have just avoided a confessional if I was actually given one. (PTs didn't exist yet on site, so it would have been a quicktopic), This is probably because I basically never actually messaged many people privately, and instead was just using tribe chats. After learning about that information about the need to message for my second game (Doctor Who), I think I utilized my confessional with the help of the spectators. Even just a couple of posts right at the start of the confessional (even if it's in the Welcome thread) probably help everyone get to using them.
I consider any confessional I have my personal blog, and will use them even if we took spectators away from access to posting in it.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:31 am

Post by pablito »

I guess something I didn't think about much when I made the original post is that players are playing not just for themselves and the thrill of the game, but also because this is a public game. Survivor is on tv, and some players shill to the audience just as much as to themselves. Mafia games sometimes are spectated, but often not until afterwards - and dead threads are now more commonplace. Makes me wonder if any player who enters a large social game is not playing to the audience at all?
Sup, later.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”