mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:49 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 928, mastina wrote:
In post 888, PenguinPower wrote:
RadiantCowbells has requested replacement. Night 1 deadline on hold until a replacement is found.
So this is obviously a disinterest/detachment/boredom replace-out, though I'm not sure if there is an alignment attached to this. I don't know if RC would get disheartened enough to replace out as scum, and by my gut, I would think the answer would be no.

:facepalm:
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:19 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
I give up. Mastina is just completely destroying town. Should have policy lynched her day 1.
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:08 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler: salt warning
In post 0, mastina wrote:The way I view the game, my reads are in a neverending state of constant flux: I doubt everything, because I think of every possibility.

I shouldn't post this. I shouldn't do this.
BUT I SOLVED THE GODDAMN GAME AND I'M BEING GODDAMN IGNORED BY SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T EVEN CARE ENOUGH TO READ AND CONSIDER WHAT I WAS SAYING AS AN IC NO LESS AND I'M GOING TO EAT A GODDAMN LOSS OVER THIS CRAP WHY DOES TOWN THIS BAD CONSTANTLY HAPPEN WHEN I'M TOWN AND ALMOST NEVER HAPPEN WHEN I'M SCUM

In post 960, mastina wrote:If you are interested in the exact specifics, I was reading the thread while offline (something I don't often do, but sometimes will for various reasons equally beneficial to both alignments), and I was noticing mhsmith towntelling left and right. I wanted to make a post where I acknowledged him doing so, but keeping my vote on him for two main reasons--one, doubting an extension would be granted with him as literally the only viable lynch. And two, wanting to have him confirmed as town rather than simply probable town.

In that same post, I was going to request that mhsmith give essentially a summary of his most up-to-date thoughts, so I wouldn't have to read between the lines and sift through all of his posting to figure out his reads with perfect clarity and accuracy. (I instead settled for asking the mod to convey essentially that same message to him, including an apology for the unfortunate clash and lamenting the lack of him towntelling earlier because if he had done what he did in the middle of the day rather than at the end of the day I most certainly WOULD have unvoted.)
I give up. Literally I give up. Heaven forbid she give enough of damn about the game to actually do shit like this, WHEN SHE HERSELF ACKNOWLEDGED SHE SHOULD.
Show
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:10 am

Post by PenguinPower »

I'm watching Scrubs right now. Yay, Netflix.
<(") | (")>
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:13 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 28, PenguinPower wrote:I'm watching Scrubs right now
So am I. Oh wait, you meant the TV show? :lol:
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:19 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 968, DogWatch wrote:Also not understanding how all your assumptions hinge on Grey!town.
Because she's ridiculously conf!biased and too sure of herself (despite being ridiculously wrong already) to bother giving any kind of meaningful thought to rethinking the gamestate. I've seen badtown drive towns right off a cliff often enough, it should be obvious as hell this is what mastina is doing right here as well.
Show
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:21 am

Post by Postie »

Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:27 am

Post by Postie »

Despite having been in 3 games together so far I don't feel we've ever actually interacted with each other properly. That should happen sometime. Your thoughts on the game are insightful and your approach is refreshing.
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:29 am

Post by PenguinPower »

In post 29, mhsmith0 wrote:So am I. Oh wait, you meant the TV show?
<(") | (")>
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:38 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 32, Postie wrote:Despite having been in 3 games together so far I don't feel we've ever actually interacted with each other properly. That should happen sometime. Your thoughts on the game are insightful and your approach is refreshing.
FWIW, a lot of it is just finding things that really good players have said and tracking it, but I do think I'm decent at certain specific things that others struggle with, notably tone reading and VCA. I think I'm also generally better at town reads than most, even though in general I'm more trying to find scum than find town. idk why that is, but it seems to have been something that happened.

Spoiler:
I also have a tendency to get really salty in dead thread when towns are really terrible after my death, ESPECIALLY when I'm being flat-out ignored and/or people just grab one or two specific things from what I said instead of critically engaging with it. Some of it is that I tend to have active faith that town will be terrible and blow games that should never be blown, as well as a longstanding record backing up this perception of how things go.

Game after game after game after game I eat losses as town that I don't particularly think I deserve (and in this one, my mislynch was ridiculous and a function of a lazy town including a failure of an IC who decided not to care enough about the game to show up despite now explicitly noting that she was actually watching, or to care enough to substantively engage with anything I was saying despite knowing that 1) I'm competent and 2) I'm town).

I don't know why I get so mad about this stuff, I really shouldn't, but it just infuriates me. It's probably a function of actually caring, and just getting disappointed by my teammates over and over and over again. Probably why my WIM continues to decline over time (which is probably ALSO why I increasingly rarely obvtown when I'm town)
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:47 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 975, mastina wrote:This is one of the reasons I was so peeved so few people answered my questions. Those questions give me a crash-course in psychologically profiling players (a technique I rely heavily on), and DogWatch answering as she did is able to give me this.
This one I'll unspoil my thoughts on. No one regardless of role, including an IC, has any kind of right to actually expect people to answer RQS (which is EXACTLY what it was even if mastina didn't like the terminology). If you want people to be open and honest with you, you need to reciprocate, and mastina went OUT OF HER WAY to avoid doing this, to the point where it was actively poisonous to the game state. So my sympathy level for her on this end is exactly zero.
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:50 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 978, Alisae wrote:Staaaawp.
Grey is going to get townread as either alignment majority of the time. One of the things about his scumgame is A. He hates playing scum and B. Either way his game is going to be clean.
Please for the love of all that is good somehow save this town from itself
In post 979, Darklyn wrote:Either way there just isn't enough in his ISO to lynch him on, sorry
Yeah I'm not optimistic on Alisae's chances lolololol
Show
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

Spoiler:
In post 980, mastina wrote:Grey is my locktown read.
:eek:
<(") | (")>
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Post by Postie »

In post 34, mhsmith0 wrote:
Spoiler:
I also have a tendency to get really salty in dead thread when towns are really terrible after my death, ESPECIALLY when I'm being flat-out ignored and/or people just grab one or two specific things from what I said instead of critically engaging with it. Some of it is that I tend to have active faith that town will be terrible and blow games that should never be blown, as well as a longstanding record backing up this perception of how things go.

Game after game after game after game I eat losses as town that I don't particularly think I deserve (and in this one, my mislynch was ridiculous and a function of a lazy town including a failure of an IC who decided not to care enough about the game to show up despite now explicitly noting that she was actually watching, or to care enough to substantively engage with anything I was saying despite knowing that 1) I'm competent and 2) I'm town).

I don't know why I get so mad about this stuff, I really shouldn't, but it just infuriates me. It's probably a function of actually caring, and just getting disappointed by my teammates over and over and over again. Probably why my WIM continues to decline over time (which is probably ALSO why I increasingly rarely obvtown when I'm town)
What does WIM stand for?
And yeah being ignored after your death when you had meaningful thoughts always sucks. But at least you can say you had meaningful thoughts! Hopefully people will learn to listen over time.
In post 35, mhsmith0 wrote:This one I'll unspoil my thoughts on. No one regardless of role, including an IC, has any kind of right to actually expect people to answer RQS (which is EXACTLY what it was even if mastina didn't like the terminology). If you want people to be open and honest with you, you need to reciprocate, and mastina went OUT OF HER WAY to avoid doing this, to the point where it was actively poisonous to the game state. So my sympathy level for her on this end is exactly zero.
I also kinda doubt the efficacy of RQS "psychological profiling". I do like RQS but I think it's best used as a way to fish scummy/towny reactions out of newbies who don't yet know how they should be acting and so end up just wordvomiting stuff instead.
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Post by Postie »

In post 37, PenguinPower wrote:
Spoiler:
In post 980, mastina wrote:Grey is my locktown read.
:eek:
It's like watching myself in In Memory. :']
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 38, Postie wrote:What does WIM stand for?
And yeah being ignored after your death when you had meaningful thoughts always sucks. But at least you can say you had meaningful thoughts! Hopefully people will learn to listen over time.
WIM = Wants It More

I'm legitimately proud of my >.500 town win record on MS given that in almost every single format towns have a losing record, AND I've eaten a shit-ton of unlucky losses, while having very very few lucky wins. Unfortunately it's BARELY over .500 and eating a loss here just totally sucks :(
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 38, Postie wrote:I also kinda doubt the efficacy of RQS "psychological profiling". I do like RQS but I think it's best used as a way to fish scummy/towny reactions out of newbies who don't yet know how they should be acting and so end up just wordvomiting stuff instead.
Basically, yes. "I had all of these awesome questions, why didn't people care about playing the way I wanted them to play" is basically a useless attitude, and calling back to it is completely unproductive and distracting. You can't play in a manner that makes life more difficult for others, while at the same time demanding that others make life easier for you. You just can't do that, regardless of your role. And an IC effectively trying to set an example of that as appropriate behavior is not appropriate (IMO).
Show
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:01 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

In post 40, mhsmith0 wrote:I'm legitimately proud of my >.500 town win record
I'm at 68% last count. Should refactor at the end of the month...just sayin'

:wink:

(I do count newbies though.)
<(") | (")>
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Post by Postie »

I've been too lazy to track my winrate. Winrate isn't particularly meaningful to me personally.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Town Record on MS

Micro 600 (1-0) - I was super mediocre here, day was a hard carry by the anti/plot hydra, though I did have an early scum read on one of the two scum (just not the one lynched that day). I was also a mason, and successfully avoided getting shot at :)

Newbie 1691 (1-1) - I was pretty decent here, I basically solved the game in LYLO on day 3, but A50 subbed in and was basically insane, and I ended up incorrectly hammering him day 4 (an early exposure to someone playing horrifically, while being town)

Open 635 (1-2) - One of my many just unlucky losses :( subbed in at 5v3 MYLO, correctly called the RC slot scum, but Titus/Postie voted townie Cakez and RC/Ranger/FA (a quality scum team overall, FWIW) had a collective midnight hammer that's still pretty funny to read.

Mini Normal 1782 (2-2) - I was a bit struggly early, but Roshar (even night roleblocker, overall town MVP) blocked Huntress N2 and then hard-led the lynch D3. In twilight I correctly called Titus as being bussing scum, ate a N3 bullet, and eventually town got her and the other scum for the win before LYLO.

Mini Normal 1775 (2-3) - With 6p left (5v1) I correctly called the last scum, was basically ignored, then compromised on a secondary scum lynch, then in MYLO I was AGAIN ignored, then we no lynched, then i was shot, then scum won in LYLO. I was "very impressive" in that gmae according to the mod, lost anyway.

Open 644 (2-4) - I played poorly in this one, including a game-long tunnel on Ploben. Scum swept despite not really doing all that much.

Open 642 (2-5) - I feel like I played fine this game, I subbed in on day 2, my hard scum-reads were ranger (a townie playing atrociously) and BTD6 (actual scum). Game was desperately hampered by an incredible rate of sub-outs, and, as one outside observer said to me, "shitty player levels of care". An early example of my consistent ability to read Titus correctly, fwiw (also a good example of essentially earning a town MVP award in a losing effort, an unfortunately common aspect of my meta)

Mini 1815 (3-5) - Scum team screwed up the night one shot on what was structurally a pretty scum-sided setup. I played meh, not terribly, not amazingly.

Micro 634 (4-5) - Showed up on day 3 (one scum dead, the cop also dead), picked out the other scum almost immediately for a quick and easy win.

Open 646 (5-5) - I was a part of the day 1 scum lynch, and I eventually made it down to Transcend being the other scum, and destroyed him in 3p LYLO. I deserved the win, but wasn't spectacular or anything (mistakes were def. made along the way)

Mini Normal 1829 (5-6) - subbed in as a bodyguard, used ability on a town clear, then watched town derp its way to a loss. Also it was a poorly constructed AND scumsided normal setup.

Micro 645 (6-6) - Shadow_Step and I hydra'd, we were doctor, and were shot N1. Went to LYLO but town won.

Newbie 1747 (7-6) - Absolutely fucking crushed this game, leading a day 1 roleblocker lynch (AFTER the jk claimed), keeping Thor from getting mislynched day 2 (PP was instead), then helping lead the day 3 scum lynch. Me and Hermie were co town MVPs I think.

Real Folk Blues (cancelled) - Absolutely fucking crushed my reads this game, even calling out the Ircher/BTD6 hydra lynch as being a lynchbait lyncha and that the two counters were both scum, and led a d2 wagon on scum!Nosferatu, which probably goes through if Panzer didn't out his entire damn scum team for REASONS. Probably my best reads-wise game ever, and it got cancelled. OF COURSE THIS HAPPENED.

Mini Normal 1844 (8-6) - I had mediocre day game, but crushed it at night (odd night weak doctor), me and Jae saved the game for town with our night actions.

Newbie 1753 (9-6) - Was fine overall. Two days, two scum lynches. Wasn't really an MVP effort by me, but I was decent at finding town (also scumread the cop but oh well that shit happens sometimes :lol: )

Open 656 (10-6) - Essentially my only ridiculously lucky town win. Subbed in at 3p LYLO with the town role cop getting a guilty the night before. IIRC scum self-hammered even before I posted :lol:

Open 658 (10-7) - My FIRST ever mislynch on MS, as Trans got OMGUSy and all three masons derp-wagoned me, then town basically collapsed.

Newbie 1756 (10-8) - Cop/Doc/RB setup, I subbed on at day 3 LYLO with both town roles dead, STILL hard-pushed scum!Accountant, and probably win if Loopdan doesn't dump a lazy-ass vote on a townie that day phase.

New Years Eve Ball (0-1) - Town played pretty awfully overall. I was meh, far from the worst of the lot. I was also dayvigged by Pieguyn (my lover), and then she was like "BUT I KNEW YOU WEREN'T SCUM" in dead thread :facepalm:

Mini 1856 (1-1) - Probably a mechanically townsided game (just about the only one ever I've had around here), I got derp-vigged by Aero, and then town mislynched its way into the final 3 before just barely pulling it out

In Memory (2-1) - I was fine here, nothing special, nothing terrible. Reads were reasonable, I was in a hood with scum and avoided getting pocketed, and I debatably made a game-saving night action by following Alisae (and then was told that my night action was totally idiotic and a town PR would never have done that :lol: )
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

I also have a 2-3 town record on games outside MS (ignoring turbos which I do decently at as town). I'm also sub .500 overall as scum (1-0 on MS tho) but I don't really give a shit about my scum record (I also nearly got a win in 6-faction multiball as scum but one of my teammates screwed up a late game scenario vote and then we were screwed, alas).
Show
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

I actually do better as scum here than town (replace ins not counted). Not sure why...apparently, I get universally scum read as town and universally townread as scum. That has started to change recently though.

I come from a site that was solely blitz. I owned there (as a SK, convinced a group of 3 poker players to lynch amongst themselves for the win), but mostly modded.

I should probably look at keeping as accurate a record as you.
<(") | (")>
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

I just update my personal wiki every so often, makes it easier to dump out lists like that one.
Show
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

Guess I should learn how to update my wiki.
<(") | (")>
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

FWIW I recommend going to someone else's wiki that you like, hitting edit, and then just copying their whole thing and then editing for yourself.
Show

Return to “Completed Game Topics”