Newbie 1781 - Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #363 (isolation #0) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:37 pm

Post by Pyra »

Sorry for not getting back to you guys as quickly as I probably should have. To answer both of your questions, I'm not town 1-shot bulletproof unless I read something wrong here (this is my first game here lol). Fykus what do you mean by "scumread slot" if I may ask?
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #366 (isolation #1) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Post by Pyra »

I'm not mafia, no. Why did people think the person I replaced was mafia? Not sure if the answer to that question is particularly relevant, but I would like to know for future reference anyways. (also I'm going to sleep soon so I won't be posting for a bit)
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #400 (isolation #2) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:43 am

Post by Pyra »

Um, is there anything that I should be doing right now as town? I'm still a bit unsure of what to do or what not to do. I'm just going to try to go over what happened before I got replaced in, so I'm sorry if I don't make the best contribution to town at this moment.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #406 (isolation #3) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:17 pm

Post by Pyra »

Fykus, are you saying that if rb is scum, then lemon would definitely be their partner (or vice versa)? I might have missed any explanations you would have given earlier I'll be waiting for you to explain your reasoning in your bigger post. Also, I would like to point out that you citing your previous game's behavior does nothing to characterize your behavior in this game as town because you are aware of it (I mean why even mention it lol). Since now we know that you're obviously aware of your actions and how they would look to others, there's nothing to say that you couldn't be intentionally altering your behavior to achieve a "night and day" difference and therefore seem town in contrast to your last game. The fact that you would mention a previous game for the purpose of proving that you are town is a bit weird, but maybe a lot of people do the same thing when they play and I'm getting suspicious for no reason.

I agree with Tarkus's last post although I don't think that it's enough for me to follow along with his vote for Sagittarius. Sagittarius doesn't seem to have done anything suspicious except for what Tarkus was referring to (I'm not totally sure what qualifies as suspicious enough to lynch anyways).
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #415 (isolation #4) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:16 pm

Post by Pyra »

In post 408, Fykus wrote:Yeah I'm saying that if lemon is scum then its highly likely that rb is their scum partner. As for your slot I'll go back and re-read my thoughts on it plus the posts HKD made to jog my memory of why I thought it was scum. As for you I think you're a bit too smart to be newbie.
Okay I understand what you were saying. I'll take that last bit as a compliment lol.

Creature, I think it would definitely help if you did explain things and participate in the discussion. As for Fykus's questions, beyond what I've already posted, I don't really have any more concrete thoughts about how the game is going. I'll post more after I either find something or people post more things. I've played two or three games with friends irl and a bit on another site's text chat (think something similar to an IRC chat) although I wouldn't say that I'm at all experienced with mafia in general. I'm more used to faster paced games that take about an hour at most anyways, so this site is pretty new to me. Any experience I might seem to have with mafia is just me attempting to use logic.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #422 (isolation #5) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Post by Pyra »

@Creature Eh, I feel like participating in discussions even if you've already made up your mind would still help other people. If you explain to others why you've made up your mind about something it could convince them to do the same thing if you're right about something. (and I agree with Fykus that sharing reads might be helpful)
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #424 (isolation #6) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Post by Pyra »

For now I just meant that you should share any information that helped you reach a decision on reads since that probably would help the rest of us.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #443 (isolation #7) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:19 pm

Post by Pyra »

I just realized that Destro voted for Creature and left me with the vote when they were replaced.

As for Tarkus's question, probably I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if mafia was pushing a mislynch the first day although that doesn't mean that I'm townreading rb in any way, either. I'm not really sure what about voting for rb makes the people who did more likely to be mafia. It's still only Day 1 though so I don't really have any definite reads or conclusions based on behavior although I will say that Fykus is ticking me off a bit with the way that he was pushing rb/lemons seemingly only for disagreeing with the bp claim meta stuff and townreading loopdan for no apparent reason other than that we have to read between the lines. He isn't really explaining his reads (or I might have missed where he does) and keeps saying what we have to do if rb and lemon are scum and what made him read them as scum, not why they're scum or what about those quotes that he picked gave him that impression. Also, he isn't really pursuing anyone himself and seems to be instead asking other people for reads and their reasons as it gets closer to deadline. I'm not going to vote them up and give town another person to decide between to lynch, though I will probably do so Day 2 if they're still around.

UNVOTE:
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #447 (isolation #8) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Post by Pyra »

It does makes sense that mafia would want to use the bp claim idea to get mislynches out of people who didn't want to follow along with it. Maybe try looking for people who were pushing the idea the hardest (especially the claim or die part)? I don't have any particularly strong feelings about either Sagittarius or Lemon who it seems like the rest of you want to lynch. If it comes down to either one or the other, Lemon seems somewhat more like town to me personally because it doesn't seem to me that they've done anything suspicious or anti town other than refusing to go along with the claim thing and V/LAing (which is understandable) although Sagittarius hasn't done anything particularly bad either. So I guess if I was forced to lynch one or the other I'd rather go for Sagittarius, but idk really. Like I said before the only person that I scum read at all right now is Fykus for reasons that I previously stated, so I'll vote for them for the sake of moving things along (plus, Fykus was a pretty strong advocate for the whole bp claim or you're scum thing).

VOTE: Fykus
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #449 (isolation #9) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Post by Pyra »

I wouldn't say that I'm pussy footing around, Fykus, it's just that I would rather not push a lynch on potential town unless I'm sure that they're not town. Also it bothers me that you're trying to get Sagittarius to vote for rb without explaining why they should other than that they should put their money where their preferred target is. It seems like you're voting for rb instead of lemon because the rest of us look more likely to follow along with rb and it would be more convenient. I don't know, it just doesn't sit well with me that you aren't committing to one read and switched around to a seemingly more likely lynch and all the while not explaining your switch or why one is better than the other (besides the fact that more people seem to be on board with one over the other). I'll go back and read the posts that you're talking about.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #450 (isolation #10) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Post by Pyra »

I'm sticking to Fykus for the moment, but it's hard for me to be as sure as I would like to be Day 1 because we don't have any information to reference based on either what happened during the night or previous days.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #466 (isolation #11) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:06 pm

Post by Pyra »

I don't like how Fykus isn't directly responding to what I posted regarding me scumreading him and instead keeps saying that I'm too good for someone new and that it's something for everyone else to be suspicious about. The whole "Tarkus I know you're town" thing seems like an emotional appeal to me and while I have no problems with his idea of pushing rb to claim (although on the off-chance that they're a town PR it wouldn't be great if they were outed Day 1) it's just that the way Fykus is posting and expectantly trying to get everyone else to follow along rubs me the wrong way. About Lemon, I'm not sure about what's so scummy about them besides the fact that they haven't been here very much (if people can give me the rundown of their cases against Lemon if there's anything that I'm missing that would be helpful to me). To be completely honest, I think rb is more town than Lemon if anything (I agree with Tarkus that a lot of the rb case is sort of trivial), but I'd rather get Fykus than the other two at the moment. So my preferred lynch would be Fykus, but I guess I would be willing to compromise if a lot of people seem to think that I'm wrong or people convince me that there's a better alternative.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #468 (isolation #12) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 pm

Post by Pyra »

Also, in response to Fykus's last post, that's exactly why we shouldn't force town PRs to claim with that mindset. Even if they do claim PR and we all unvote them, they're going to be killed that night anyways. The whole "claim or die" thing is harmful Day 1 when town PRs haven't had a chance to do anything. If we're going to use that strategy to pressure people at all, it would be better to do so later on in the game, when we have more insight as to who we need to pressure and PRs have played their roles.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #476 (isolation #13) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Post by Pyra »

(Just saying Sag it wasn't at L-1 Creature changed their vote to loopdan lol. Fykus is at 2 votes if I'm counting correctly now that Tarkus unvoted.)
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #481 (isolation #14) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Post by Pyra »

I'm seconding both of Sagittarius's questions. I'm still preferring to lynch Fykus but if there's something important that you guys have on Loopdan I would like to know. Also how important is game/player meta on this site?
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #485 (isolation #15) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Post by Pyra »

In post 465, Fykus wrote:If you dont want prs to claim theyre a pr (not suggesting he is one) then how do you expect them to not be lynched?
Fykus still hasn't responded to any of what I've said about him. And what I've just quoted doesn't seem very towny either.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #489 (isolation #16) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Post by Pyra »

Tarkus, what I meant was that doing the whole "claim or die" thing is a good way to get mislynches especially on Day 1 when any PRs are going to be very reluctant to claim and we have the least knowledge. Maybe Fykus actually isn't scum, I don't know, but for them to suggest "claim or die" specifically on the first day seems anti-town at the least to me (I would be sort of fine with saying "claim or die" if a player had generally been acting scummy and the game had been going for a few days). And I interpreted that quote as Fykus saying that the lynch or threat of a lynch should be used to force claims out of people.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #490 (isolation #17) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:09 pm

Post by Pyra »

Fykus read my ISO and you'll see what I meant when I said that you weren't responding. My last post would be a good place to start, though.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #497 (isolation #18) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Post by Pyra »

With the whole claiming thing didn't you think that someone else would ask you to claim as well? Why claim PR now I mean seriously you had no real pressure on you to claim as I was the only one on you (well besides Sag who isn't here) and I wasn't even trying to pressure you to claim, only to explain yourself. I already said that PRs shouldn't claim Day 1.

UNVOTE:
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #501 (isolation #19) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Post by Pyra »

I'm going to take that quote to mean that we should lynch rb because it would provide useful info. I'm not sure if that would be the greatest idea since an actual lynch based on who we think is scum would probably still be more productive. If we have nothing better, then lynching rb for that purpose would be fine. Also why would I be rb's buddy? We've gone over why lemon is or isn't mafia multiple times already so I won't ask anymore questions about that. I don't want to continue with the Fykus lynch since we don't have anything to say that he isn't a PR other than it was an awkward time to claim in my opinion, but that's really not that important. If it gets later on into the game and there hasn't been anything to confirm Fykus as whatever PR they are I might renew my case. Not sure who else I scumread, though.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #502 (isolation #20) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Post by Pyra »

@Fykus what other reasons besides the bp no claim? I haven't been able to look through all of the posts, so it would be helpful if you elaborated.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #512 (isolation #21) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Post by Pyra »

Are we just waiting for a claim from rb now? Judging from rb's posts it seems that we'll have to wait a while. Also @HarshMillenium you might want to avoid hammering rb before we get a claim or something lol.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #515 (isolation #22) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Post by Pyra »

Creature, didn't you townread rb earlier? Whatever, though, it doesn't matter really.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #540 (isolation #23) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:33 am

Post by Pyra »

Wait, how do we know that there's a cop/doctor? Someone could have lied about them not being bp (not sure why they would but still) and having both a bp and a jailkeeper would make it more likely for no one to have died.
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #591 (isolation #24) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Post by Pyra »

RIP me. I was hoping that Fykus was doc and not cop lol. There was nothing I could do about them investigating me so I just hoped that they would investigate someone else instead. That was kind of an unfortunate first game for me with me having to play as mafia without any prior experience. It didn't help that people were already looking at me after I subbed in for Destro who was already being scumread by everyone lol. Any tips at all about how I play would be very welcome. GG everyone!
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #599 (isolation #25) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:01 pm

Post by Pyra »

I think rb was objecting to the claim strategy on purely philosophical grounds. As he said before he just thought that the strategy was a bad way to teach new people how to play. Also thanks @Loopdan + rb but I think if I played better we wouldn't have lost this quickly. I'd just like to know if I slipped up or something and if that was why people were suspicious of me (only reason that I can think of that would explain Fykus reading me would be that I pushed him aggressively but other than that I don't know).
Pyra
Pyra
Goon
Pyra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #602 (isolation #26) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:23 pm

Post by Pyra »

Was being smart a bad thing in that situation? I am pretty new to the game but I don't see how that got me scumread though lol. HKD being scumread was just unlucky for me.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”