Dance of the Title Fairy: Accepting Applications

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Dance of the Title Fairy: Accepting Applications

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Post by Psyche »

NOTICEI've decided that I should start winding down as Title Fairy. So now we're in a moment of transition. I'll handle this the same way Chevre did.
If you're interested in being the Title Fairy, send me a pm explaining why you think you'd fit the position and giving me an idea of how you'd handle it
. What am I looking for? Ideally, it's someone who's active, well-known, maybe even broadly liked across the community's various spheres. Someone skittles like Zor would trust. Someone who can manage 'hot' discussions and is not liable to start them. Someone who has a good grasp of and respect for this institution and its traditions but isn't quite a slave to them. Someone reasonably thoughtful and well-spoken. If you feel like you're qualified but that I might not treat your application fairly, I suggest giving it a try anyway; I try really hard all the time to be really open and objective.

I'll keep running this thread like normal until I pick someone and have it okayed by relevant higher-ups, and I'll be taking my time doing that. Please don't discuss your or anyone else's applications around this subforum (it'll be deleted and you'll get warned), and please limit that talk elsewhere, too (it certainly wouldn't help your chances). Let's keep each application mostly between you and me. Please PM me if you have any further questions about this process.

Below ever user's username in a post, there's a small string of text we call a "title". Most users have a default title determined by the number of posts they've made in Mafia Games:

0 posts – Watcher
1 post – Ninja
2 posts – Townie
100 posts – Goon
1000 posts – Mafia Scum
5000 posts – Jack of All Trades
10000 posts - Survivor

Lots of sites keep titles constrained like this, or let users choose their own titles based on their own whims. But here, a subset of titles are special. One's personally chosen avatar and username and signature all have meanings, but titles on MS are gifts given from the community to users that follow them wherever they go on the forum. They work as constant reminders of things about users that the community particularly appreciates. Since the community treasures this tradition so much, it's assigned a Title Fairy to preserve and administer the whole thing
smoothly
and
productively
. Right now, the Title Fairy is me.

What's this thread for?

Nominating, discussing, workshopping titles. All the rest is frills. See below for more info! If you instead have or want to discuss ideas, comments or suggestions about the titling process in general, head here.

How does a title happen?

Step 1: A user nominates another user for a title. Yes,
another
user.
Step 2: Still
other
users discuss the title, consider alternatives, and potentially 2nd, 3rd, ..., nth some version of it.
Step 3: Once a nomination gets support from at least
five
users, I comment on it and either approve or reject it or put it in some kind of limbo.
Step 4: The user accepts the approved title, and I make it appear below their name on this site everywhere.

The more Nths a title gets, the more compelled I might be to approve it against my best judgment - to a certain extent. Conversely, if a nominated title gets well-reasoned AND CIVILLY WORDED "anti-noms", special consideration might be given to those as well. But the general process is pretty clear-cut.

How does a
good
title happen?

If a potential title isn't good, it shouldn't make it to Step 1, let alone past Step 4. So what makes a proposed title good? To some this is inherently ambiguous, but imo it's actually rather straightforward: Practically every well-liked title 1) references an interesting incident, playstyle or characteristic of the user, and 2) makes the reference in an interesting way that's 3) accessible/appreciable to the broader community.

More (but perhaps not
much
more) often than not, users come to the thread with something to reference about a nominee already in mind, and have more trouble achieving the second and third criteria. Maybe it doesn't roll off the tongue very well, maybe it's not exceptionally clever, maybe it's too subtle for the rest of the community to get! Who knows? Often good titles make their reference using figurative language, wordplay, or other literary techniques that can be appreciated with just a few words of explanation, if that. I'll try later to collaboratively develop more detailed aids for users having trouble pulling off this kind of feat, but if you still have trouble coming up with something, consider asking for help in this thread.

Why would you reject a title that has support from five users?

Basically, even as many as five people can get a thing wrong. A title needs to have broad appeal and accessible meaning to people beyond the faction of those who expressly support it, or it won't achieve the special resonance within the community that this whole tradition is devoted to producing. Support from five people is a good sign that a title is worthwhile, but it's not a perfect sign. I'll try to be humble about it and very clear in my reasoning, but sometimes I'm going to go against the grain, and you're going to go somewhere you can deal with it.

What will change now that Psyche is the Title Fairy?

My overall strategy for preserving and building this 'institution' will be to emphasize title standards on the one hand, and to help users more frequently meet them on the other. Or, in shorter terms: better titles, and more titles. More specifically, compared to previous fairies, I'm going for: clearer, consistently articulated, community-sourced, and positively specified standards for titles; facilitated community involvement/discourse and a more broadly active subforum; and programmatically designed tools and other resources for brainstorming titles. If you want to discuss ideas, comments, and/or suggestions about the titling process and potential changes to it, head to this thread.

What are some rules?

1.Titles are gifts given from the community to users. So self-noms, insult-noms and their cousins are all mistakes.
2. Shitposts suck. This isn't GD. Your posts in this thread should usually be on-topic - contributing to the process of finding and securing good titles for users on this site. Occasional, especially tasteful off-topic posts are fine. But if a pattern of shitposting becomes evident and annoying, you'll be warned, and after repeated offenses or some egregious offense, you'll be banned from the subforum, etc.
3. Be civil. Even if you feel you have to say something contentious, you'll just have to be even *more* courteous about it.
4. Explain your nominations. Please? If you assume the reasoning is self-evident, you're gonna get disappointed.
5. Follow site rules. We're on the site, right?

Which titles have you approved so far?

Accountant - "Self-Evident"
mhsmith0 - "Balancing Act"
Zoraster - "Consigliere"
Panzerjager - "Hell in a Cell"
Aristophanes - "Mr. Blue Sky"
Not_Mafia - "Smash Hit"
Alisae - "Bright Knight"

Wisdom - "Of the One"
Annadog40 - "All Work and Roleplay"
Errantparabola - "Composed"
fferyllt - "Titan of Trajectory"
singersigner - "I Got This"
RadiantCowbells - "Smooth Criminal"
vonflare - "doot"
xyzzy - "comical third option"
Anix - "UCalled"
Creature - "Transparent"
BBMolla - "Open Book"
Alisae - "lolbalance"
Mulch - "Gotta Go Fast"
Spiffeh - "Paragone"
Ellibereth - "Deus ex Machina"
Hascel Cendricson - "Mr Know It All"

Never forget these people
:
Sugar, PolarBoy, mathcam, Thok, Oman, TheButtonmen, SleepyKrew, and Chevre. They were the Title Fairies before me. All that work they did as Fairies, they did for this tradition and this community. Admirable stuff.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Post by Psyche »

Let's just get the thread rolling. All nominations from the old thread will have to be restated here by interested parties. I apologize for the trouble, but the thread is nearly 150 pages long and rather difficult to shift through. Active nominations may be monitored more carefully here.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (isolation #2) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:44 pm

Post by Psyche »

i am a cool fun friendly title fairy look at my dancing avatar
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (isolation #3) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Post by Psyche »

it's page 2 and i haven't ruined anything yet
isn't this amazing
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (isolation #4) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:31 pm

Post by Psyche »

I worry the accountant nom is in some bad faith, but it seems more like playful teasing and is otherwise a straightforwardly good title. It captures something distinctive about the user in a pithy, even clever way. It seems to be talking about Accountant and itself at the same time. I'll leave the call to them. Also imo, "Self-evident" is way better.

Not quite yet time to wade in on mhsmith0 nomination. Very glad you guys moved on from the very vanilla "Professional Critic". I don't know mhsmith0 very well, so maybe you guys can save me the trouble and quote some very mhsmith0 posts? I'm concerned a little about ad hoc personality attributions.

"Outback Steakhouse" doesn't sound like a very Psyche aesthetic, I've gotta say. Besides, I really wouldn't want to undermine its, er, underground appeal.

How long until I can stop putting punctuation marks in my posts?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (isolation #5) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Post by Psyche »

yah
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (isolation #6) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Post by Psyche »

FONT COLORS AND STYLES
THIS REALLY IS THE BIG LEAGUES
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #53 (isolation #7) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:16 am

Post by Psyche »

Someone explain Consigliere to me I just woke up.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (isolation #8) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:06 am

Post by Psyche »

so the title is no more or less than "he's #2"?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #61 (isolation #9) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:12 am

Post by Psyche »

Accountant's title "Self-Evident" has made it through all four steps of the process and is
implemented

How does it look? Should I change the punctuation? Maybe "Self-evident"? This is mostly Accountant's call.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #68 (isolation #10) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:51 am

Post by Psyche »

Oh, right! I forgot the 48 hours rule! So sorry guys; for now on, I'll wait 48 hours for further discussion before giving anyone a title.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (isolation #11) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:55 am

Post by Psyche »

Hey! So! New rule!
FA and Panzer can't talk to or about each other in this thread!
Take it somewhere else if you wanna.

Next time it happens and someone reports it, I'll probably just ban the offending user from the subforum for at least a while! Okay?

This isn't a long term solution to your woes, but I'll make sure it's one for mine, yessiree.

Note to self / new readers: FA and Panzer crossed paths again and had a small spat, which I've deleted most evidence of and responded to with this post.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #78 (isolation #12) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:02 am

Post by Psyche »

Man, I hate deleting posts. For now on, I'm gonna avoid it unless real necessary.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #84 (isolation #13) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:18 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 75, PJ. wrote:Question, do reports in here go to you,psyche, or do they go to blue people?
They go to me. Blue people handle just Discussion Forums, I think.

So that means there's a disconnect between how reports will be handled here and how they're handled in GD. If I think something is going on that requires integrating info or action across the site, I'll probably pm a Red. Other people with the same idea can, too, if they don't like my call (but should pm me about it first!).

Basic 'chain of command' stuff.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #90 (isolation #14) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:40 am

Post by Psyche »

On Balancing Act, I still want definite evidence for the title's reasoning (ie personality, avid game reviewer).
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #92 (isolation #15) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:57 am

Post by Psyche »

Ok, fine, I did the homework myself. It all does seem to check out.

48 hours on the title
Balancing Act
for mhsmith0 in case further discussion is warranted.

Does he know about this thread?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #95 (isolation #16) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:13 am

Post by Psyche »

but what if he ends up not getting the title it would be so tragic
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #115 (isolation #17) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:48 am

Post by Psyche »

i think the waiting period has merit anyway, even if it's usually just a formality
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #117 (isolation #18) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:56 am

Post by Psyche »

oh yeah
maybe we should finally get rid of "Khan Man"
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #126 (isolation #19) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 121, SleepyKrew wrote:
In post 58, Psyche wrote:so the title is no more or less than "he's #2"?
also he's a lawyer just like Tom Hagen

ugh psyche stop being so shit at this
I can't be expected to know all this all the time; that's why I asked for an explanation...
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #136 (isolation #20) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:02 am

Post by Psyche »

So...
- I'm approving
Consigliere
for Zoraster. Supposing he approves it in the next 48 hours, it's his.
- I'm rejecting
cult of personality
. I like my title the way it is, sry. I mean, I only got it pretty recently!
- I'll probably be changing the rules page soon now that I have a better idea about how all this works. Mostly minor stuff.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #144 (isolation #21) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:40 am

Post by Psyche »

i was just bantering
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #165 (isolation #22) » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:41 am

Post by Psyche »

No.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #169 (isolation #23) » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:46 am

Post by Psyche »

Sorry lemme be clear on my own reasoning:
good posting, and even good shitposting, is fortunately(!) not very notable or interesting on mafiascum
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #176 (isolation #24) » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:09 am

Post by Psyche »

kuroi bb if i responded to every "hi" someone sends my way i'd have no time to do anything else :)
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #177 (isolation #25) » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:09 am

Post by Psyche »

if "All Star" gets 10 nths ill CONSIDER approving it
and then i'll reject it
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #179 (isolation #26) » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:18 am

Post by Psyche »

the problem isn't that i don't love you
it's that i love everyone
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #183 (isolation #27) » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:33 am

Post by Psyche »

:]
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #187 (isolation #28) » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:17 am

Post by Psyche »

15 nths
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #200 (isolation #29) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:58 am

Post by Psyche »

So, a slight change to the rules.

In addition to Approval/Disapproval after a potential title's gotten support from 5 users, I'll also reserve the option to put the title in "Limbo", where I require titles I'm ambivalent or concerned about to jump a higher hurdle that's specified according to the situation (maybe extra nths, a waiting period, more evidence, etc).

Since I'll be leaning on this more than rejections from now on, this should practically give the community more agency over which titles finally get accepted, and which don't. At the same time, though, it'll increase the range of official reactions I can make to title nominations beyond a simple binary yes/no call. Less pressure on me, more power for you.

One clear use case for this might be event-based titles that are proposed very soon after the event in question. Sometimes something that happens on the site looks really big and interesting only because it just happened; when it comes to titles based on these events, a period in limbo might confirm that the title has lasting merit and will maintain broad appeal in the community for months and years to come.

Beyond that, I've officially begun working on a tool or two to help users come up with titles when they have a potential reference to make within the title in mind. No definite timetable on that, though.

Oh, and I'll probably get rid of the 48 hour thing, I guess.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #208 (isolation #30) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:46 am

Post by Psyche »

is it bc of the shikamaru avatar bc im not too attached to it i guess
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #210 (isolation #31) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:57 am

Post by Psyche »

UGHHH
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #218 (isolation #32) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Post by Psyche »

I'm putting videos in spoilers.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #222 (isolation #33) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 73, Psyche wrote:Hey!
when kuroi told me "hi" he was in fact
responding
to one of
my
greetings
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #246 (isolation #34) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:10 am

Post by Psyche »

i do like it
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #249 (isolation #35) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:17 am

Post by Psyche »

Spoiler:

?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #276 (isolation #36) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:34 am

Post by Psyche »

i feel so small
violated
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #289 (isolation #37) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Post by Psyche »

i didnt understand the joke but i guess y is a vowel by some accounts
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #290 (isolation #38) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Post by Psyche »

I'm
approving
Hell in a Cell.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #293 (isolation #39) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Post by Psyche »

oh yes extremely interesting
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #306 (isolation #40) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:13 am

Post by Psyche »

new rule: no dissing "snark attack"
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #309 (isolation #41) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:18 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 307, wgeurts wrote:What would the consequence of doing so be? I suggest having your title made Snark Attack if broken.
vowel removal
always vowel removal
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #336 (isolation #42) » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:52 am

Post by Psyche »

small official reminder that discussion of whether RC is a condescending jerk or not must be kept really carefully civil
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #355 (isolation #43) » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:20 am

Post by Psyche »

is lq not a wgeurts alt
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #357 (isolation #44) » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:58 am

Post by Psyche »

yes of course wgeurts is the main
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #380 (isolation #45) » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:50 am

Post by Psyche »

as title fairy i am obligated to read all of these posts
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #407 (isolation #46) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Post by Psyche »

one day we will all post in video and audio
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #430 (isolation #47) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:28 am

Post by Psyche »

They don't, like, cancel out an nth or anything like that. But they can theoretically impact whether I'll approve, reject, or limbo a nom.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #433 (isolation #48) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:09 am

Post by Psyche »

????
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #439 (isolation #49) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:16 am

Post by Psyche »

what does the reference to the killers song do?
wikipedia says that lyrically the song depicts the jealousy and paranoia of a man who suspects his significant other is cheating on him
despite the name "Mr. Brightside" it seems like the exact opposite of the kind of point you're trying to make
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #442 (isolation #50) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:55 am

Post by Psyche »

Not convinced.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #454 (isolation #51) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:43 am

Post by Psyche »

mastina's explanation seems overly convoluted to me
please consider nomming aristo for a different time you similarly love
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #472 (isolation #52) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Post by Psyche »

w
e
a
r
e
a
l
l
f
r
i
e
n
d
s
h
e
r
e
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #483 (isolation #53) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Post by Psyche »

If you instead have or want to discuss ideas, comments or suggestions about the titling process in general, head, uh, to that other thread.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #497 (isolation #54) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:09 am

Post by Psyche »

:/
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #505 (isolation #55) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Post by Psyche »

im sry you felt like spending ur time this way
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #509 (isolation #56) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:13 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 507, McMenno wrote:why does lil uzi vert suddenly have "poot" as his title
he does? how strange!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #512 (isolation #57) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:31 am

Post by Psyche »

his title looks fine to me
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #514 (isolation #58) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:03 am

Post by Psyche »

anyway i deny all insinuations of knowledge or responsibility
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #516 (isolation #59) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:25 am

Post by Psyche »

yeah but i thought the whole point of the nom was that i'm actually lowkey a piece of shit
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #519 (isolation #60) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:38 am

Post by Psyche »

i am thankful for ur kind words

(albeit in a weird, backwards-ass kind of way)
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #521 (isolation #61) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:45 am

Post by Psyche »

you mean
"poot"

of course i have no idea what the title was before if the title ever wasn't "jack of all trades" before and am just guessing
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #527 (isolation #62) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Post by Psyche »

banned forever!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #528 (isolation #63) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 524, Papa Zito wrote:I'm telling you Psyche.

Create a new security group.

Add the people who have titles to it.

Give that group posting permissions to this forum.

problem solved
what if i instead institute kuroi's idea and end all title discussion forever
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #555 (isolation #64) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:29 pm

Post by Psyche »

i will never recover from mcmenno's troll
the likes of panzerjager and accountant should study his posting and take notes
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #557 (isolation #65) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Post by Psyche »

to think that a man so young, so ignorant of life's absurdities, could so thoroughly grasp and exploit my deepest insecurities and weaknesses through text-based communication — it is awe-inspiring, even frightening

still today i poop through a straw
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #560 (isolation #66) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Post by Psyche »

anyway i'm really skeptical of catchphrase-based titles
i mean, they aren't really clever or subtle, almost by definition
and on the other hand this one especially doesn't capture much about mcmenno, unless you're trying to say his name on this site is basically synonymous with shitposting
that reasoning combined with my respect for chevre's legacy means it'll take a lot more than the usual to get me to approve the title

think i'll approve
Mr. Blue Sky
, though!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #576 (isolation #67) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Post by Psyche »

those aren't poots they're beans
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #588 (isolation #68) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:35 am

Post by Psyche »

would be easier to just ban anyone who brings it up again, huh? :]
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #590 (isolation #69) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:39 am

Post by Psyche »

why do i even bother
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #593 (isolation #70) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:01 am

Post by Psyche »

why do you put periods at the end of your sentences and capitalize letters
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #595 (isolation #71) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:13 am

Post by Psyche »

you live in bad faith
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #605 (isolation #72) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:01 am

Post by Psyche »

yeah exactly!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #617 (isolation #73) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Post by Psyche »

i thought it would be okay to let people have fun in this thread but it's just shitposting now and shitposting is banned
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #619 (isolation #74) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Post by Psyche »

it needs entertainment value! finesse! non-chalance!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #622 (isolation #75) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:43 pm

Post by Psyche »

friends i am lonely
please post in my thread again
i take it all back
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #630 (isolation #76) » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Post by Psyche »

kinda surprised xyzzy never got a title
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #678 (isolation #77) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:45 pm

Post by Psyche »

A lot of people in this thread seem ready to nth literally any nomination that comes up.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #690 (isolation #78) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:30 pm

Post by Psyche »

ok guys ima set up a paypal account right now no need to consult zor about this imo
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #691 (isolation #79) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:33 pm

Post by Psyche »

ok gimme five dollars here and ill give anyone you want the title you want for ten days
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #692 (isolation #80) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:38 pm

Post by Psyche »

tbh i am vacillating internally between the ideas of making it harder and easier to get/change titles
the status quo is certainly not very satisfying
but maybe i just need to hurry up with my projects or start banning shitposters
this is not the thread to discuss such things
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #699 (isolation #81) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:03 pm

Post by Psyche »

Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #700 (isolation #82) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:18 pm

Post by Psyche »

BIG CHANGES BIG CHANGES

I've had a change of heart. The way titles happen these days is pointless and inane, designed almost deliberately to be inefficient, even to the extent that it serves the values it was designed
for
. I thought I could fix it with new tricks and "higher standards", but what's wrong with the way titles have worked so far is more fundamental than that stuff, and I don't want to waste time anymore pretending otherwise.
So from now on, I'm letting anyone who wants a title have it just by posting in this thread the title that they want.
No "nths". No pontificating. Just say what you want, and it's yours (as long as it follows Site Rules). As soon as I have time, you'll get your update.

I know some of you won't like these changes; you're free to complain about them in the appropriate thread. But you have to understand that the institution as it is now only serves a small minority of the members of this community, some of whom don't even like the status quo nonetheless. The titles you know and cherish and love will stay there for as long as the people who have them want them; they won't lose their value because other people can choose their titles. You can preserve the parts of the title institution you love by choosing and encouraging others to choose titles that achieve the resonance with the broader community you treasure. But this is my call. And that's that.

If you want a title, post what you want here in bold text, and that'll be it.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #701 (isolation #83) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Post by Psyche »

hurry and get one before zor removes me
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #703 (isolation #84) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:50 pm

Post by Psyche »

system is centralized
likes of kison et al have said it would be very hard to implement
for now people can ask to change their titles as many times as they want; i have in the works a script that does most of the work for me but if the load gets heavy i might add a rule or single out abusers
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #710 (isolation #85) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Post by Psyche »

i made this change today specifically to avoid that insinuation
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #712 (isolation #86) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:05 pm

Post by Psyche »

You can nom people for titles and I will pm them for confirmation before giving it to them.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #716 (isolation #87) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:10 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 714, Cheery Dog wrote:
In post 710, Psyche wrote:i made this change today specifically to avoid that insinuation
not going to happen when I will refuse to acknowledge any terrible titles you give out in this manner.

I'll just have to work out what titles people are meant to actually have
if u want i can build a shrine in their honor
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #731 (isolation #88) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:47 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 717, Firebringer wrote:
In post 712, Psyche wrote:You can nom people for titles and I will pm them for confirmation before giving it to them.
Nom Not Mafia for "Smash Hit"
Nom Mcmenno for "aren't we all"
Nom Alisae for "Only a flesh wound"
Nom RadiantCowbells for "Titus"
Nom Postie for "You got mail"
Nom MariaR for "Cute but deadly"
Nom hiplop for "Hiphop"
Nom Alchemist21 for "Beater"
Nom BipolarChemist for "President Bear"

The regrets to this new rule change will come soon.
I'm ignoring this post.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #732 (isolation #89) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Post by Psyche »

actually nvm
i am LAISSEZ FAIRY
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #761 (isolation #90) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:38 am

Post by Psyche »

titles seem to be up to date so far
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #764 (isolation #91) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:45 am

Post by Psyche »

a short poem:

you get a title
you get a title
you get a title
you get a title
everybody gets a title
exclamation point
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #767 (isolation #92) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:50 am

Post by Psyche »

congratulations cheetory6 you are the first user to shed a community-adjudicated title in favor of a shiny new self-selected title
never before have i felt so
vindicated
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #775 (isolation #93) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:00 am

Post by Psyche »

if i get to choose zulfy's title i will need to put some thought into it
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #782 (isolation #94) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:12 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 781, vonflare wrote:nom wgeurts for
rtyvbhnjmknjbyvturytcyvuinonubyvtucyyvubhinjoiouiyutcyvguhbijnjiouiycyvubhinjnbouvyicvgubhnjjbuovcyvguhbijnonboviycgvbhnjkdsbbbbbnrsbraetwnsfafgnryrnsgbfasgrnsgbsgrnrsfavsdafbgnhsdbfsgrtyvbhnjmknjbyvturytcyvuinonubyvtucyyvubhinjoiouiyutcyvguhbijnjiouiycyvubhinjnbouvyicvgubhnjjbuovcyvguhbijnonboviycgvbhnjkdbbnrsbraetwnsfafgnryrnsgbfasgrnsgbsgrnrsfavsdafbgnhsdbfsgbnrsbraetwnsfafgnryrnsgbfasgrnsgbsgrnrsfavsdafbgnhsdbfsgrtyvbhnjmknjbyvturytcyvuinonubyvtucyyvubhinjoiouiyutcyvguhbijnjiouiycyvubhinjnbouvyicvgubhnjjbuovcyvguhbijnonboviycgvbhnjkdbbnrsbraetwnsfafgnryrnsgbfasgrnsgbsgrnrsfavsdafbgnhsdbfs
sry that's too long
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #783 (isolation #95) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:13 am

Post by Psyche »

have pmed all relevant users about pending title nominations
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #792 (isolation #96) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:24 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 789, vonflare wrote:
In post 788, -Grey- wrote:Now that players can request their own titles, I think nomming is obsolete and only makes additional work for the fairy that is unnecessary.
yes thats the point. I want psyche to suffer for this cruel joke he's playing on the title community
Trolling is against site rules, and abusing or attempted to flood the process makes it work worse for everyone.
Your nominations in this thread will be ignored indefinitely, and you can consider this an official warning.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #795 (isolation #97) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:28 am

Post by Psyche »

oh ok i was joking too hahaha
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #796 (isolation #98) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:29 am

Post by Psyche »

i love ur sense of humor vonflare :]
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #798 (isolation #99) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:30 am

Post by Psyche »

this has been the funniest page of a thread i have ever participated in on mafia scum dot net
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #805 (isolation #100) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:37 am

Post by Psyche »

would it make you feel less hateful if i created some kind of "shrine" to titles generated through the old system
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #810 (isolation #101) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:40 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 807, Papa Zito wrote:...no?
oh!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #815 (isolation #102) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:43 am

Post by Psyche »

i believe that after all the novelty has worn off,
most
enough users, if left free, will choose good rather than shit titles
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #819 (isolation #103) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:46 am

Post by Psyche »

i can't imagine a better title for you vonflare
"doot" is in many ways my pride and joy
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #824 (isolation #104) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:52 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 818, Chevre wrote:I talked to psyche about this. It's totally legitimate. And I mean, there's nothing I can do about it, but I can't say I'm not disappointed.

Psyche and me had a spat at the end of SUPP last year about that process and it really left me shaken and sad, so it was a big surprise that I was considering him for Title Fairy when the applications rolled in. He had a lot of good ideas and they were laid out neatly and well-written. It just seemed like he was going to be able to do what I couldn't.

During his reign he has been doing a good job. I mean, I think I can see him running up against the same problems I did, but I figured it was a settling period before the real changes came. Now, to see pretty much everything thrown to the wayside, and the institution of the Title Fairy serving a simply mechanical process -- it's so disheartening. Yet again, another Chevre failure.

I'm so sorry to all those who, like me, supported the titling system as a system for rewards. Sure, I had really dropped the quality of the forum and the process and probably even the titles too, but it was all still there and I knew it just needed someone better to put it into practice. Now, it's all gone.

:'(
i don't mean to let you down chevre i really don't
but this really is what i think is best for the system in the long run
i promise in the coming days i will take pains to preserve what was good about the old system despite my stance on the new
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #849 (isolation #105) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:21 am

Post by Psyche »

i actually think this has been going pretty well
i was worried there'd be too much leg work
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #914 (isolation #106) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:34 pm

Post by Psyche »

hello i am back
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #915 (isolation #107) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:38 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 872, SleepyKrew wrote:give me
Bitter Old Fool

can you cycle between that and Snark Attack every day or so?
if you tell me to every day or so
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #916 (isolation #108) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:39 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 873, ConManMick wrote:Nominate TSQ for
Merry Christmas!
dont be rude
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #918 (isolation #109) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:40 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 885, Accountant wrote:The timing is too neat. I feel like legitimate psyche might have waited a few days to avoid this insinuation
there isn't really a legitimate psyche
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #919 (isolation #110) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:43 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 893, Nahdia wrote:
In post 891, Shaziro wrote:Eh, fuck it, I'll take a title that lasts a few days before the joke is admitted to. Give me
of the Nightfall
. It's my title in WoW, might as well be my title here too.
nom Shaziro
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrdd
too long
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #922 (isolation #111) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:25 pm

Post by Psyche »

i think RC's "Supreme Commander" title could come off as impersonating a mod
is this silly?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #925 (isolation #112) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:29 pm

Post by Psyche »

i think everything is up to date now
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #928 (isolation #113) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:36 pm

Post by Psyche »

23 titles in less than a day isnt this great guys
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #930 (isolation #114) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:38 pm

Post by Psyche »

must alert mods for further investigation into lq's "playstyle"
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #942 (isolation #115) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:53 pm

Post by Psyche »

sry no profanity
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #945 (isolation #116) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:55 pm

Post by Psyche »

cmon kuroi aren't u proud of me
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #948 (isolation #117) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:57 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 943, Killthestory wrote:sapnu puas
no
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #951 (isolation #118) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:59 pm

Post by Psyche »

you want ur title to be "something good then this title is boring : )_ ) )"?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #953 (isolation #119) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:00 pm

Post by Psyche »

no sry that's too long
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #962 (isolation #120) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:25 pm

Post by Psyche »

egh too many people are doing pranks(???) it makes the site messy
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #964 (isolation #121) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:41 pm

Post by Psyche »

Yeah, guys, because I'm a smidge pissed at some people who take little strings of text a bit too seriously and don't feel like doing the extra work for another day, I've decided to come clean early.

This has all been an April Fool's Day prank; I started it a day early so that wouldn't be obvious. I hope you all had fun picking your titles for a day. Since I started this at around 4am yesterday, you'll still have your titles for a few more hours. But at the 24 hour mark, we'll go back to the old policy and that'll be that. If any in the community especially likes any of the two dozen plus titles we generated today, you may be pleased to know that a poll will be soon set up to allow users to vote for one of those title to be maintained on the site quasi-permanently. I just thought this would all be good fun!

But whatever. Cheers!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #985 (isolation #122) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Post by Psyche »

another example is accountant
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #987 (isolation #123) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:17 pm

Post by Psyche »

along with the standards that a given title nom has to reach and how demonstrably untrue it is that having five friends are necessary to get a title, having five friends on the site willing go through the trouble of getting a good title instituted for you is kind of a lot, too
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1002 (isolation #124) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:57 pm

Post by Psyche »

your point isn't true, though
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1013 (isolation #125) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:28 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 1009, Nexus wrote:ffs psyche get your head out of your ass.
um, fuck you?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1015 (isolation #126) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:34 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 1005, PJ. wrote:
In post 1002, Psyche wrote:your point isn't true, though
Who doesn't have a title that wants one? I'm pretty sure no one that has tried to get a title has been refused one.
You're demonstrably wrong, unless your concept of "tried" means they worked to become valued members who wanted titles. Over twenty people without titles have over the last 24 hours demonstrated a desire to get one. Odds are that around a quarter of them has a title by 2018, if that. And that's just one point of evidence that your claim is bullshit.
Are there bad titles? Yes, plenty.

Are there titles that are inaccurate? Yes, plenty.
So? That doesn't mean the vetting process doesn't work; it just means it doesn't work perfectly. Most titles are good and accurate.
All
the titles that
I've
signed off on have been good and accurate. How does letting people pick their own titles serve this purpose anyway?
Has the process of voting been basically just a cess pool of drama and shitposting? Yes, for at least 10 years.
No it hasn't. Drama's been pretty rare. In this thread, you've been the locus of literally all two instances of it.
Therefore, the vetting process is both not working as intended, and only serves as an inefficient and pointless barrier between wanting a title and getting one.
Even if your points were true, this conclusion wouldn't follow. It's bad reasoning through and through.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1023 (isolation #127) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:02 pm

Post by Psyche »

I can come up with lots of strong reasons to let people pick their own titles. But they aren't "lots of titles are bad and/or inaccurate" or "anyone who wants a title can get one" aren't them. Because those points are either red herrings or flat-out wrong.

For example, a better argument would focus on how niche the title system is relative to the broader community, especially compared to a new one that could plausibly be enjoyed by basically everyone. There will be fewer users as happy with their titles as, say, I am with mine, but the
overall
benefit generated by the new system could plausibly be higher than that of the old one. Instead of a few users who are extremely happy with their titles, you have many users who are moderately happy with their titles. In fact, you could go further and point out that users with titles from the old system will still have them after implementation of the new one, further maximizing community benefit. And so on. An argument of this form acknowledges the merits of the old system, but manages to delineate in a clear, comparative manner how the a new system could outweigh those.

Your argument overstates the weaknesses and ignores the nuances of the old system and doesn't even begin to argue the merits of the new one. Furthermore, it makes broad, obviously controversial propositional claims like "everyone who wants a title gets one" and take for granted that everyone else will accept them because you're "pretty sure". It reads more as a rant than an actual attempt to convince other people that what they believe about titles is wrong.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1027 (isolation #128) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:18 pm

Post by Psyche »

we should move this back to the idea thread
or maybe the idea thread was a bad idea
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1041 (isolation #129) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:16 pm

Post by Psyche »

pumba and what else?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1043 (isolation #130) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:25 pm

Post by Psyche »

oh he didn't bold it
rookie mistake
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1082 (isolation #131) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:22 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 964, Psyche wrote:Yeah, guys, because I'm a smidge pissed at some people who take little strings of text a bit too seriously and don't feel like doing the extra work for another day, I've decided to come clean early.

This has all been an April Fool's Day prank; I started it a day early so that wouldn't be obvious. I hope you all had fun picking your titles for a day. Since I started this at around 4am yesterday, you'll still have your titles for a few more hours. But at the 24 hour mark, we'll go back to the old policy and that'll be that. If any in the community especially likes any of the two dozen plus titles we generated today, you may be pleased to know that a poll will be soon set up to allow users to vote for one of those title to be maintained on the site quasi-permanently. I just thought this would all be good fun!

But whatever. Cheers!
lol jk

Surprise! The prank was that the policy was a prank! Everyone will soon have their title back again, and the free reign policy has been re-instituted. I was never joking until this post. Happy April Fool's Day!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1095 (isolation #132) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:09 am

Post by Psyche »

Yah.

I'm am giving you guys back your titles and accepting new titles until the end of the 3rd though. Have fun!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1102 (isolation #133) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:24 am

Post by Psyche »

this twist was part of the reason i decided to start the prank on the 31st
i'd hoped that some people would notice the timing of the reversal and suspect that me undoing the policy was a prank, leaving the final payoff much more satisfying than the initial reveal
but alas

i'm sorry if this was messy;
it was my first time doing something so big, and i have a habit of attempting things bigger than i can handle
and it became more of a troll than i expected; i believed this was the good kind of prank - one where everyone gets to revel in something silly - but because the lie was so convincing, people who care about how titles are handed out didn't have as much fun as they might have if i'd been transparent
if i'm still around for future pranks, they'll be a lot more if not completely transparent (doubletake tier rather than extended ploy), deriving their merit less from the deception and more from the humor of the idea itself or whatever
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1107 (isolation #134) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:39 am

Post by Psyche »

no it really is what kison said in the kuroi thread when he proposed the policy
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1124 (isolation #135) » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:25 pm

Post by Psyche »

after the third there will be no such thing as titles on this site
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1139 (isolation #136) » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:56 am

Post by Psyche »

write the title for me
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1141 (isolation #137) » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Post by Psyche »

im a little lazy but these new noms will happen
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1143 (isolation #138) » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Post by Psyche »

seems the countdown doesn't work in titles
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1179 (isolation #139) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Post by Psyche »

the april fool's system at this point is a mirage
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1182 (isolation #140) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:36 pm

Post by Psyche »

when i get the time and a computer i'll fix things up
we are officially in the old system
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1189 (isolation #141) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Post by Psyche »

there's still some fun to be had
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1194 (isolation #142) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:08 pm

Post by Psyche »

ANNOUNCEMENT

So here's what's going to happen. This thread's going to turn into a poll on every title gained from April Fools (except for titles overwriting old titles, like Skrew's "Bitter Old Fool"). Users will be able to vote on up to a few that they particularly like and think should stay. And then (supposing that at least one title gets 5 votes), the most favored title selected from the poll will be instituted forever, if the user wants it. And perhaps more titles depending on how things turn out (for example, a tie or a small subset of titles with 5+ votes, etc).

This poll will go on for a week, and hopefully people will be allowed to change their choices as time goes. I already filtered titles based on their accordance with the rules, so whatever title wins, wins.

This is important, though:
If you picked more than one title over the course of the April Fools gimmick, you need to pm me within the next few hours if the title you want in poll is different from the final title you ended up with. Right now, I only think vonflare is interested in this thing, but I want to be clear to everyone about what's going on.

The poll starts at midnight. Titles will be reverted, though, within the hour.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1204 (isolation #143) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Post by Psyche »

doing some test runs with poll this is all a drill
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1206 (isolation #144) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:02 pm

Post by Psyche »

thread polls can't have 31 options, guys
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1212 (isolation #145) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Post by Psyche »

Vote now! Which titles from the April Fool's Day prank should stay? You decide! Poll will go on until 4/12.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1214 (isolation #146) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:16 pm

Post by Psyche »

Will post an update on the polls' status every 24 hours or so.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1223 (isolation #147) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:18 am

Post by Psyche »

Spoiler:

state of the poll
29 voters atm, though i haven't done validation yet
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1233 (isolation #148) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:18 am

Post by Psyche »

actually in the hour after i posted that image your vote total moved from 11 to 3
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1235 (isolation #149) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:22 am

Post by Psyche »

woops now it's 2 what a world
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1237 (isolation #150) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:24 am

Post by Psyche »

the leading title in the polls is now "bussed so hard!!!" for drmyshottyizsik never have i experienced so unprecedented a twist in my life
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1239 (isolation #151) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:30 am

Post by Psyche »

Ahem. Yes. Here's the current state of polling:

There are now 35 voters.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1251 (isolation #152) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:34 am

Post by Psyche »

im not sure if i like them enough to institute both
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1253 (isolation #153) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:45 am

Post by Psyche »

fair enough
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1256 (isolation #154) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:52 am

Post by Psyche »

I don't think N_M is saying I don't have the final say; he's just saying that I should lean toward populism in this case.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1259 (isolation #155) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:55 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 1257, The Bulge wrote:I'm saying a dozen or whatever clicks does not equate to five nths plus discussion.
Oh, yeah. But this is a special occasion.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1266 (isolation #156) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:06 am

Post by Psyche »

i think a title like "doot" would in many ways be a fitting capstone to the april fool's schtick
it really embodies everything the free-for-all policy stood for

this isn't an endorsement but, like, i'd be fine with that outcome
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1268 (isolation #157) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:09 am

Post by Psyche »

i want you to feel ambivalent
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1280 (isolation #158) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:28 am

Post by Psyche »

it's just a silly poll to decide the string of text under a single user's name how could this possibly also turn into something bad and transgressive
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1285 (isolation #159) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:36 am

Post by Psyche »

oh i see
the complaining is part of the fun
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1304 (isolation #160) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:45 am

Post by Psyche »

um ah well oh hmm
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1320 (isolation #161) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:12 pm

Post by Psyche »

Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1324 (isolation #162) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Post by Psyche »

i mean, it's not at all one of the worst titles on the list
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1355 (isolation #163) » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:45 am

Post by Psyche »

let everyone choose their own title!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1371 (isolation #164) » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:31 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 1368, ConManMick wrote:You know, it occurs to me that, technically, psyche's poll on who should get to keep their April Fool's titles is the equivalent of people actually voting for those titles. You could argue that everyone who gets at least five votes, then, should have their title reviewed as per usual and approved or rejected as appropriate. Whadya think?
if we take the analogy too far, i should reject the titles i think are mediocre, which i think are nearly all of them
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1373 (isolation #165) » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Post by Psyche »

i gotta be nice
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1377 (isolation #166) » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:02 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 1375, Vijarada wrote:i'm pretty sure there's a user with the exact same joke as their title.
yah and it probably applies better
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1406 (isolation #167) » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:38 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 1403, Save The Dragons wrote:Are you going to put the titles you approved on the OP sometime? I know that's more bookkeeping work but I liked that feature of the title fairy thread
UGHHHH
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1409 (isolation #168) » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:04 am

Post by Psyche »

oh hey it's the 12th
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1410 (isolation #169) » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:14 am

Post by Psyche »

it seems "Smash Hit" was the decisive winner and will be a lasting and imo fitting homage to That Time People Could Choose Their Own Titles; nearly a third of users involved in the poll chose it - congrats!
we're now returning to normal nomination procedures
there will be a
waiting period of 10 days for nominations of users for other titles that were included in the poll

this is to help ride out the popularity contest vibe of the last week or so
if you still feel passionate about a self-chosen title on April the 22nd, be sure to propose it here then!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1416 (isolation #170) » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:44 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 1413, vonflare wrote:And there's not even a prize for second place feelsbad
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5aAWlwKyavU
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1420 (isolation #171) » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:12 am

Post by Psyche »

if you want i can give vonflare doot instead of giving you smash hit
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1425 (isolation #172) » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:51 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 1422, vonflare wrote:And in an instant my hopes and dreams were shattered
:]
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1429 (isolation #173) » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:22 pm

Post by Psyche »

r u on drugs
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1436 (isolation #174) » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:14 pm

Post by Psyche »

yes
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1441 (isolation #175) » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Post by Psyche »

just give me time
i have a life, responsibilities
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1442 (isolation #176) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:29 am

Post by Psyche »

Accountant - "Self-Evident"
mhsmith0 - "Balancing Act"
Zoraster - "Consigliere"
Panzerjager - "Hell in a Cell"
Aristophanes - "Mr. Blue Sky"
Not_Mafia - "Smash Hit"

am i missing anything?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1444 (isolation #177) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:31 am

Post by Psyche »

there was a title that got five nths recently that i basically ignored
can someone remind me what it was
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1447 (isolation #178) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:49 am

Post by Psyche »

uh
no from me
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1451 (isolation #179) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:33 am

Post by Psyche »

i have no idea why that would be a good title for LQ
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1454 (isolation #180) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:38 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 1452, Aristophanes wrote:I liked "Rules Are Guidelines"
why
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1457 (isolation #181) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:03 am

Post by Psyche »

rn im reading your post as some kind of joke is that accurate
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1460 (isolation #182) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:07 am

Post by Psyche »

why is it supposed to be blank
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1462 (isolation #183) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:17 am

Post by Psyche »

um, ok
ill fiddle around
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1465 (isolation #184) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:22 am

Post by Psyche »

yeah this is beyond me
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1467 (isolation #185) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:36 am

Post by Psyche »

some noms that use more than just regular text would be great
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1471 (isolation #186) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:57 am

Post by Psyche »

this is not how things work anymore
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1509 (isolation #187) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:13 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 184, animorpherv1 wrote:
Nom. Haschel Cedricson for Mr. Know It All

Because I swear to god this man knows everything. It's fairly common knowledge at this point that he goes to pub trivia every Wednesday and wins basically every time. The kicker? It's the line of a Kelly Clarkson song, and Haschel is apparently really bad at pop culture related trivia.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1515 (isolation #188) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Post by Psyche »

hm that's strange
what was it before?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1517 (isolation #189) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 pm

Post by Psyche »

ok
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1524 (isolation #190) » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:46 am

Post by Psyche »

to do:
haschel
mastina
mario
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1527 (isolation #191) » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 am

Post by Psyche »

what if we had an additional title fairy whose sole job is to "fix the op"
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1536 (isolation #192) » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Post by Psyche »

and ill call anyone else with over 50 posts in this thread a title gnat
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1559 (isolation #193) » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:21 pm

Post by Psyche »

oh good the titles do have broad resonance
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1570 (isolation #194) » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:29 am

Post by Psyche »

Ok. I'm approving
Mr. Know It All
for Haschel and it'll appear under his username if he accepts as much. Other stuff should be handled now, too.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1572 (isolation #195) » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:08 am

Post by Psyche »

you will suffer continually until ur death
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1575 (isolation #196) » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:02 am

Post by Psyche »

am concerned that it may not have accessible meaning to people beyond the faction of those who expressly support it
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1605 (isolation #197) » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:24 pm

Post by Psyche »

Like, I couldn't understand it until someone explained it to me. The other titles already approved, I feel like people can understand them with comparatively little guidance. If you think I'm wrong, you'll have to make a stronger case.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1610 (isolation #198) » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:33 pm

Post by Psyche »

salmon so far is being interpreted as a joke nom