mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:12 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 1111, Icy wrote:I'll give you my case on her. She replaced RC. If you read nightfall you will see she is doing what RC said he would do today.
This is not a case. It's a statement of something transparently NAI (not alignment indicative). If anything, the rather extreme lack of anyone being bothered by RC getting lynched should make it ridiculously obvious that the ONLY reasonably possible person who could be scum with RC is Lemon, which means you should just lynch Lemon slot first, which also ought to have been fairly obvious from reading my legacy (not that anyone really cared to do this :( )
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 1132, mastina wrote:
In post 1048, Alisae wrote:You're just assuming I'm townreading people for helping me lynch Grey or agreeing with my reads. Stop.
It's not an assumption. It's an objective observation.
You are townreading the players that are agreeing with your reads, especially the ones who are interested in lynching Grey.
This is firm, 100%, fact.
You can argue whether this means anything, sure, yes, that you can do. I happen to think it no coincidence, but that would be debatable.

You can't argue the existence of this trend, because yes it exists. That you are is doing you no favors.
pot meet kettle (mastinas three hard scum reads we're all omgus on day one) - also this is in no way alignment indicative, town do this shit all the time
In post 1133, mastina wrote:
In post 1077, PenguinPower wrote:
Searching for a replacement for lemonater
I saw no indication of a prod so this looks like the
second
newbie in the slot to have requested a replace-out. :neutral:
Maybe lynch there instead of the alisae slot like my departing vote said to do? Since "but we won't learn much" is trash reasoning anyway?
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 1135, mastina wrote:
In post 1081, DogWatch wrote:Slightly more confident in the lemon slot being scum than alisae. There's also something to be said for the ulti/pieg/lemon slot being replaced AGAIN.
To be honest. This is actually my stance right now. The lemonator slot is actually a larger scumread than Alisae. I
think
Alisae is scum, but I'm not absolutely sure; I'm pretty damn sure that lemonator's slot is scum.
THEN FUCKING VOTE THERE AAAAAAAARGH WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY ARE YOU NOT VOTING YOUR TOP SCUM READ WHY ARE YOU NOT DEMONSTRATING BASIC COMPETENT PLAY TO THE NEWBIES :facepalm:
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Is there like an anti-scummy I can nominate this game for?
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:58 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 1137, mastina wrote:
In post 1113, ThinkBig wrote:Welcome Christ
Can I just comment on how appropriate this comment is with your Amish avatar?
It's Jewish, which makes it amusing in a different way.
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 1141, ChrisOrmie wrote:...
I agree with Smith's points, and in fact think he's one of the best on the site from a teaching standpoint. Seriously - go read his wiki, past games, etc... you'll learn a heck of a lot.

Really hate that Smith went out the game early, because I'd love to see a ton more of these in here. The Smith wagon is infuriating as he's throwing good content out there, yet every page or two there is another vote creeping on.

Get rid of confBias, re-read Mastina's ISO, look at her d1 interactions with Smith and show me where you read him as scummy and Mastina is town.
calls smith awesome, votes the slot that smith went down hard-town reading :lol:

Meanwhile town is deciding to lazy lynch alisae (a wagon with VERY little resistance, not that anyone has noticed that or apparently even had an eye out for that sort of thing) for "information", which is basically the mafia version of this plan

Show
pieg
pieg
Goon
pieg
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Post by pieg »

Spoiler:
In post 79, mhsmith0 wrote:
In post 1137, mastina wrote:
In post 1113, ThinkBig wrote:Welcome Christ
Can I just comment on how appropriate this comment is with your Amish avatar?
It's Jewish, which makes it amusing in a different way.
loooooool

you're pulling your hair out smith oh dear :P
Last edited by PenguinPower on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
pieg
pieg
Goon
pieg
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:46 pm

Post by pieg »

uh why didn't that spoiler
pieg
pieg
Goon
pieg
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:44 pm

Post by pieg »

Spoiler:
In post 1136, mastina wrote: looks like pieg knew oldwino was town.)
i was just in teacher mode actually. i do this as either alignment. teaching as if the slot is town (town is going to be reading the post regardless) is just good practice imo.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:16 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 1148, Alisae wrote:
In post 1147, DogWatch wrote:do we actually know icy was attacked? could there have been no night action at all?
townslip and even if this isn't a townslip I don't see why scum would push this narative.

Occam's Razor deduces that Icy was attacked rather then Scum pulling a no-kill gambit.
Villagery response (thinking about it critically in terms of dogwatch's alignment, instead of just dumping out a lazy answer and being done with it)
In post 1149, ChrisOrmie wrote:
In post 1147, DogWatch wrote:do we actually know icy was attacked? could there have been no night action at all?
No kill is bad for scum, and mod said BP wouldn't know if they'd been targeted or even if their 1-shotBP was gone. Pretty sure scum went after Icy last night.
Nullscummy response (IIOA, does nothing other than an empty response to something that was just answered)

And yet people are wagoning Alisae for "information". :lol: :facepalm: :lol: :facepalm:
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 1185, ThinkBig wrote:Alisae, if you're actually town, then you really need to pull out of your tunnel and confirmation bias. Did you learn anything from Witch Trial's Mafia? The TVT bullshit from you and dreal cost town the game. I'm not having a repeat of that here.
We're TvT! Also I'm trying to lynch you!
:lol:
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 1188, ThinkBig wrote:Um you were death tunneling me at twilight 1 and from what I recall, you still TR'd Grey even after his god awful hammer.
ThinkBig CONTINUES to talk to Alisae as if he's reading him as badtown WHILE TRYING TO LYNCH HIM

this game is just PAINFUL
Show
pieg
pieg
Goon
pieg
Goon
Goon

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:44 pm

Post by pieg »

Spoiler:
yep tb is painfully obvious scum where grey wasn't

first he acts like he hasn't read and says he'll sort slots later, then he seems to know all about what ali has done

if mastina and others don't sr this slot now then just kms
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:48 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
the only helpful thing is Chris boxed himself into a "it's t/t read" there and I don't think he can easily bail. Then again a townie lolhammering alisae seems super plausible :cry:
Show
pieg
pieg
Goon
pieg
Goon
Goon

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Post by pieg »

Spoiler:
chris isn't good at faking emotion, and right now he is a little overwrought and it very well may backfire on him

if mastina wakes up in time to realize that tb is scum then this should be salvageable

actually either way town probably wins this unless they ml first mastina then ali or first ali then mastina somehow because everyone is sring either tb or chris slots and with a little wakey wakey they should come to
pieg
pieg
Goon
pieg
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Post by pieg »

smith have you ever hydraed?
pieg
pieg
Goon
pieg
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:27 am

Post by pieg »

Spoiler:
In post 1191, mastina wrote:Posting here to say, probably not posting tonight: there's some white stuff on my kitten's nose. Now, a quick google tells me I should
probably
not be concerned.

Most likely, kitty litter. (After all, she has some basically permanent black stuff stuck to her fur under her chin which I assume is food dried into her fur; this wouldn't be much different.) Maybe dry skin.

Still, all the same: I want to alert my family of this and keep an eye on her until I can personally deliver the message, so...not going to post tonight even though I planned to.

Sorry.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:45 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 90, pieg wrote:smith have you ever hydraed?
Yes a couple times. Both times I was town and got shot n1 lolololol
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:11 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 1191, mastina wrote:Posting here to say, probably not posting tonight: there's some white stuff on my kitten's nose. Now, a quick google tells me I should
probably
not be concerned.

Most likely, kitty litter. (After all, she has some basically permanent black stuff stuck to her fur under her chin which I assume is food dried into her fur; this wouldn't be much different.) Maybe dry skin.

Still, all the same: I want to alert my family of this and keep an eye on her until I can personally deliver the message, so...not going to post tonight even though I planned to.

Sorry.
Calling back to my
In post 622, mhsmith0 wrote:Incidentally, I'll flesh out my $0.02 in mastina a bit (noting that I've been avoiding reading some of her stuff lately):

1) Her overall playstyle of being super opaque, while anti-town, is not necessarily scum. Here's why: what is the gain? What she's been doing has been super frustrating for me to deal with, but it's also had the fairly predictable result of making her a big center of attention, and not the positive kind.

Excerpting from my standard IC post again:
SECONDARY SPOILER TAG: Bad Posting vs Scum Posting

In a lot of games you can see people posting badly, whether it means lurking, saying really stupid things, being intellectually lazy about their engagement, or all sorts of other pretty transparently anti-town behaviors.
And, unfortunately, a lot of the time (though NOT always) really bad posting is done by townies instead of mafia. Sorting between “bad” and “scum” is one of the hardest things to do in the game, but it’s a tremendously important part of your development if you want to get good at scum-hunting.

Consider a few examples:
Example #1
http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/thr ... post722301
Sociopath wrote:I'm back on but won't be very active until up to 3 hours before EoD because I'm going to an early fireworks event for Bonfire Night.
http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/thr ... post722309
lulz wrote:
Sociopath wrote:I'm showcasing my lynchbait status the way a peacock showcases their feathers. I make awful posts day after day, daring you to lynch me.
I fixed your typos.
http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/thr ... post722312
lulz wrote:Scum is not as demonstratably awful as sociopath.
In that game, both lulz and sociopath were town. Sociopath got mislynched essentially for making a parade of terrible posts (the cited post was just one of many), which is a fairly predictable outcome of that behavior. But it’s notable that she wasn’t actually mafia.

END SECONDARY SPOILER TAG

Here, it's mastina taking the sociopath role, making posts that are practically designed to get her wagoned and lynched, and the point of it all is... what? To run a scam where she makes herself look fake lynchbaity, just to hope she eventually gets off and people townread her for it? I won't deny that it's theoretically possible, but it seems too clever by half to acutally be a likely plan, and that ignores the fact that she's an IC, which means that if she's scum intentionally playing badly just to create a town read from bad play... I just really struggle to see someone who's IC'ing try THAT kind of stunt intentionally.

More credible, I think, is that either she thinks that she's been much more helpful than she's actually been, or that she believes as an IC, that it's correct to put more energy into teaching (including the "figure it out yourselves guys" attitude) than playing, and that kind of attitude is much more natural as a town IC (if I get lynched, there are still two mislynches to go, and maybe my lynch becomes useful) than a scum IC (if I'm mislynched, we're kind of screwed).

So to my mind, the underlying mindset *fits* better as a town IC mindset who either thinks better of her communication and participation than she should, or who simply doesn't care how she's perceived (this was explicit in , but I think that there's attitude along those lines underlying her overall approach, as opposed to it just being there in that post), compared to a scum IC who'd presumably WANT to not get lynched.

2) Who would reasonably fit as her buddy? I don't think I ever really got the sense that the board was nervous about her being a potential wagon (need to verify this but that's my thought on the gamestate), which means that I'd consider it unlikely that she'd have a newbie partner (unless this was all a really weird and really specific strategy), I've already talked about why i don't think it's grey, and that would leave an RC-mastina pairing, which while I guess conceptually possible (RC going after mastina and then backing off would be like an inverse of open 635 when Ranger went after RC and then backed off), is the sort of super-specific thing that I wouldn't want to go nuts worrying about at this point of the game.

So I'm not going to hard town clear her or the like, but I'm having a hard time making any of it really fit under a "she's scum" model, so she's probably just town instead.
That mastina would actually post essentially the same "hey everyone look at me I'm lynchbait" thing as sociopath posted AND I REFERENCED, soon before her likely lynch within the next 24 hours, is just completely hilarious to me.
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:16 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

On a different note...
In post 1142, Drixx wrote:
You guys have a penchant for knowing when I've gone to sleep and doing something crazy right then. Game is officially over.

FWIW, I'd probably hold that one up as a good example of a town IC powertowning up a game mainly through sheer WIM (Want It More). Reads were very unusually poor that game (tunnelled on scum!DS day 1 [though for crap reasons], but let up on him day 2 and spent most of day 2 flailing around, and then after the scum!Grey lynch really struggled to find his buddy), but I recognized the game state being bad a few times and powered through on mechanical plays and gambits leading to an eventual town win.
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:04 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 1200, PenguinPower wrote:
Vote Count 2.07

mastina
(3): ChrisOrmie, Icy, Dogwatch
Alisae
(3): mastina, Darklyn, ThinkBig
ThinkBig
(2): Alisae, oldwino

Not Voting
:
With 8 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

Deadline
: (expired on 2017-03-31 13:00:00)

In post 1201, Alisae wrote:VOTE: mastina
If I can't get the Grey slot, I'll go get mastina.
"More than half the day phase remaining, time to give up on my top scum read" :lol:
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:31 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 1202, ThinkBig wrote:Mastina is at L-1
Empty observation, tonally dead fish

There was a time when mastina was like "if ThinkBig doesn't do stuff I'm gonna totally lynch him"

Decent odds she'll just eat a mislynch (thoroughly deserved btw) before she comes back to do anything, although I rather substantially suspect that even if she did come back she'd basically forget about that thing.
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:50 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 1203, DogWatch wrote:let's see a mastina claim before anyone hammers

Since DW has been trying I'll add in substance to the snark gif. Basically mastina can't be a town PR since both claimed, therefore she's scum or a VT. Therefore waiting on a claim is basically useless, since she always would have claimed if she was a town PR (this presumes a basic level of mechanical competence, of course, but despite mastina's awful showing this game I don't think she'd be THAT bad as to completely flub an obvious CC scenario)
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 1211, DogWatch wrote:make one mistake and you're treated like a retard
in a newbie game of all things

a newbie game FILLED WITH EXPERIENCED PLAYERS
:(

sorry that things went in that direction fwiw

:(
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:08 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Spoiler:
In post 1220, oldwino wrote:
In post 1201, Alisae wrote:VOTE: mastina
If I can't get the Grey slot, I'll go get mastina.
You didn't note 'L1." TB had to do it for you. Makes you look more suspicious and him less suspicious, unless Mastina is his scum buddy and he wanted to make sure no one hammered without realizing it. Now I am alone voting TB/Grey. With Mastina and Alisae as my next two scum suspicions. Around and around we go!
so...

this is actually incorrect, fwiw. Not noting L-1 is pretty NAI (not alignment indicative) because it's mainly just sloppy, unless there's a context of scum motivation of somehow fooling someone into accidentlaly hammering (which I don't think scum ever really do)

The scummy side of it is TB's, because he noted that it was L-1 without doing anything about it. Does he care that mastina is L-1? Does he care that Alisae, who he'd been voting for, put her there? Pretty much no on both ends. So he basically made a largely useless observation (just about anyone could/would have noticed it anyway), with no substantive interest in the situation or using it to develop or push any reads. The reason for this is that he's scum, and does not WANT to develop or push any reads; instead, he wants to hang out, be lazy, and let mastina go down today and alisae tomorrow (with the reverse of it about as convenient as well).

One of the big things with scumhunting is to think through motivations and actions. Why is someone doing something? Why is someone NOT doing something? Alisae didn't say L-1 because he's being sloppy. ThinkBig said L-1 without doing anything about it because he didn't actually care about the lynch state (which ought to be VERY concerning for anyone who was considering TB/mastina as a team concept).
Show

Return to “Completed Game Topics”