Spectators

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
racefan12
racefan12
Townie
racefan12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (isolation #0) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:30 am

Post by racefan12 »

I haven't really seen much discussion about the costs/drawbacks of spectators despite the question being asked a couple of times, so I'll try to address that...

In my mind, the potential for spectators to (unintentionally) influence the game by posting in confessionals is too great to ignore. Using grumpy's post above as an example... should grumpy have had the ability to have people outside the game comment on his game and play style while the game was ongoing? You don't get that on the actual show, and you can make the argument that you shouldn't get that here either.

I know in Medevac I used the spectators interaction to keep me going at points where I wanted to just give up and not fight my elimination or simply quit outright when I was particularly busy IRL... sure, you can say that my receiving motivation from specs benefited the game, but is it true to Survivor? I don't think so.

This is why I very rarely posted in player confessionals in LoL despite being a very active spec... I didn't want to accidentally influence someone's game based on what I thought was an innocent post.

There's a reason why outsiders aren't allowed to post in Mafia games or privately communicate with living players (or even post in dead threads).
PrivateI:
I wish I could bang on the home keys on my keyboard to create an appeal to emotion. It sounds so...soothing.

CuddlyCaucasian:
Mafiascum: a land where pansexuality is widely accepted and understood while two people who share the same first name cause mass confusion

You have questions about me? I try to give you answers!

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”