Overwatch

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

For what platform(s) are you getting/do you own the game?

Xbox One
8%
PS4
13%
PC
80%

Total votes: 79

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #925 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:30 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 909, Accountant wrote:How does someone get good at tracer and genji but cant play torb o.o
its not about getting good, i was just rating how much i liked playing them.
genji and tracer are extremely mobile.
torbjorn is a boring crawl.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #926 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:38 am

Post by Flameaxe »

Play torb more active and you'll have more fun dw
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #927 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:02 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

I like playing everything except genji, widowmaker, and hanzo. :)

And yeah, torb is very enjoyable if you're proactive. You're NOT a turret with a medic attached. You're a character with a shotgun at close range, a high damage arcing projectilet at long range, with the ability to burst heal allies for 75 points of armor....and a turret that can sometimes annoy your enemies.
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #928 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:31 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

torb is way more fun if you play him actively yep

i basically plan to move my turret every few yards on payload maps. i have pre-planned spots in my head where i set up a turret, it gets a kill or two then gets destroyed, move ahead to the next preselected place, etc

so many torbs i see get one good turret placement, then switch to another character or something once their one "good push" as torb is done

and yes utilize the turret to force people into chokes and then use your actual gun to mow them down
green shirt thursdays
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #929 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:33 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 925, Firebringer wrote:
In post 909, Accountant wrote:How does someone get good at tracer and genji but cant play torb o.o
its not about getting good, i was just rating how much i liked playing them.
genji and tracer are extremely mobile.
torbjorn is a boring crawl.
Cerb said its pure ability
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #930 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:34 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

My list was pure ability. I think FBs was just "these are the heroes I play because I have fun with them".
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #931 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:04 am

Post by Clumsy »

In post 923, xRECKONERx wrote:or rather, was

she's seeing more play because of the increase in bastions now
but there's also an increase in torbjorn which doesnt fit well in a mercy comp
Increase in barriers and Ana's incoming nerf will also push her back into the meta, but I think I would have rather had a slightly bigger buff to her and a slightly lesser nerf to Ana to accomplish the same.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #932 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 am

Post by Accountant »

43/9 as roadhog, 2 golds 2 silvers, my card was 65% kill participation and I get blamed for the loss because I'm silver and the others are gold

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #933 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:39 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

:(

How many of those kills came from hook picks at the start of fights and did your team coordinate at will to capitalize on the kills?

Also, as lucio, the latest hook change is amazing, I basically never get comboed anymore unless my boop is on cooldown AND I'm on speed when I get hooked. If either of those things are true, full health me gets away with like 15 up every time. :D
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #934 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:36 am

Post by PokerFace »

Was there another change to hog's hook after 3.0? I still get one shot as Lucio unless the hog has shit aim

Winston on PTR is so much more useful. His attack goes through barriers and his barrier cool down start change helps a lot

If you play junkrat on PTR you might as well tape down M1 since you no longer damage yourself. No need to aim or think about repercussions of close bounces
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #935 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:40 am

Post by Clumsy »

I thought his attack always went through barriers? But the shield thing is nice
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #936 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:44 am

Post by Clumsy »

Junkrat needed some help, but this was not it. He's fine at low skill ratings (which is mostly where this change helps), but he's not great in higher play. He has his moments, but is outshined most of the time. This change does not help that.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #937 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:07 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Yeah, this generally only benefits low SR players, but at low SR people already have difficulty dealing with his spam at times. At higher SRs people don't hit themselves with his explosions. It'll help with last ditch ult defenses, but that's not exactly a big deal.

I think Winston could always shoot through barriers.

Don't believe hogs hook changed, it's more likely people have simply adjusted to it. One shots are happening more often now, but if they're off target at all they can still miss it.
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #938 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:18 am

Post by Clumsy »

Yeah, landing the hooks are harder than before the hook changes, but it all but guarantees a kill if you land it now (and HUGE damage to tanks). It'll separate the good Roadhogs from the ones that just learned how to best abuse the hook system (like me T_T).
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #939 (ISO) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:18 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

I think we're talking about different things. I'm talking about hooks landed that don't convert into kills. Since the newest hook iteration places the target further away, if the hog just aims for center mass instead of your head, it's not an instant death.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #940 (ISO) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:32 am

Post by PokerFace »

Winston on PTR is so much more useful. His attack goes through barriers and his barrier cool down start change helps a lot
Yes, he has always had the ability to shoot through barriers. And because his barrier cool down start was "buffed" and Orisa is on PTR, there are more barriers in the game. And that makes him and his gun more useful than before.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #941 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:24 am

Post by PokerFace »

There are characters that are inadvertently buffed or made more useful because what they counter is buffed. Winston counters barriers and since they were buffed and Orisa was added, Winston got more useful

The recent changes to Lucio and rise of dive comps will inadvertently make McCree get picked more.

The recent changes to Ana will inadvertently make Mercy get picked more.

Orisa being added is going to increase Bastions use too
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #942 (ISO) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Post by Accountant »

Orisa feels more like a tanky bastion w/ utility but lower dmg than a reinhardt replacement

PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #943 (ISO) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:46 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Will Orisa replace Reinhardt? Maybe in a few comps, but most will still require Reinhardt. No character should ever truly replace another or Blizzard has failed at game design

Rein is the most obvious anchor tank in the game because he has biggest, strongest, and most mobile shield in game. If played correctly, Dva and Winston can be used as Anchor Tanks in Dive Comp setups. I see Orisa becoming a Heavy Defense Anchor tank due to her synergy with Bastion, Torb, Symetra, and various other long range characters

I enjoy playing as tank and this is my character select flowchart
IF running Dive Comp, pick Winston, ELSE pick Rein
IF my team is struggling to deal DPS THEN pick RoadHog
IF I struggle due to enemy Pharah or Bastion THEN pick Dva
IF team spread out and having trouble protecting itself, pick Zarya
IF I struggle due to enemy Mei or McCree THEN pick Orisa (New Route in the chart now)
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #944 (ISO) » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Post by Accountant »

what's an anchor tank

well sharkbait roadhog has an anchor and he's a tank

PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #945 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:04 am

Post by PokerFace »

Watch the recent videos where they introduce Orisa on the Play Overwatch Channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWqhXWRaMmU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znEHH68unzA

Being an Anchor tank means that your teammates can get behind you and build around you because you can hold or occupy a large amount of space. You hold the line as Blizzard put it. Think of it as Anchor that holds a ship to an area, you hold the team to an area, like an Anchor in Tug of War. Any Barrier wielding tank can be an Anchor tank when played correctly.

Rein is the most obvious Anchor tank because he has the largest, strongest, a most mobile area. His barrier blocks and directly holds the choke on a lot of maps. It fills the main door on Hanamura for example. Because Orisa's barriers can be used similarly and she can also be a Meat shield with fortify, she is the next most obvious Anchor Tank

Winston and Dva can be Anchor tanks but is more about killing or taking over an area before you hold it. Dive into the area. Kill whats there. Hold it until your team gets there.

Zarya's barriers are not bound to an area, they are bound to players. Playing her is about protecting crucial teammates. Helping them stay alive, so the team is alive, and holding the objective together. Pending your definition of Anchor Tank and how you play Zarya, she may not be one

Road Hog is not a barrier wielding Tank. He's about staying alive, eliminating important Enemies so that you continue to hold an area. Enemy can't take that area from you if they are Dead. He is a tank in his size and HP. He takes an area by force. He "steals" the image of tank and debatably is not a tank if you play him for his DPS.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #946 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:22 am

Post by Accountant »

Roadhog is an offtank - his main function is to force 5v6s by getting "random" picks. That said he can still soak up some damage with his fat ass - 76 ults, or wading into a death blossom to blow the Reaper's brains out.

Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #947 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:08 am

Post by Bins »

i am so bad at AIMING holy balls

my bf is gm and i feel like i cant even play around him because its emabrassing how bad i am at this game
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #948 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Post by PokerFace »

You an I play Road Hog differently, Accountant. I try to play him as a tank while utilizing his DPS as a punish instead of a fight starter. I kill what tries to take what's mine, when I am Roadhog. You play him to fill the "Pick" position in 6s.

To anyone not in the know, 6s whether in tf2 or overwatch has 6 basic positions. Med, Pocket, Roamer, DPS, Pick, and Utility. Pick is the player who starts the team fight by getting that first kill making the fight 5v6 asap so your team is more likely to win the fight. Roadhog can fill that role as well as the roles of DPS and Roamer. I tend to use him in the Roamer spectrum since I don't play comp much and Roamer is more important when your team is unorganized and all about. Roamer roams helping out where they are needed. This player usually has high sustain or versatility since you often have to rely on yourself. I tend to see the DPS and Pick roles filled by flankers more often than they are filled by Roadhogs.

The Pocket's job is to protect the Med or Protect the team in overwatch. Rein has a monopoly on this role for the most part

Med is usually held by the teams primary healer and utility is held by a secondary healer or a character that provides other great utility. Ana and Lucio usually fill these roles with heals and boosts.

DPS is filled by player with high DPS. Lots of characters can fill this role
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #949 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Post by Clumsy »

I tend to play Roadhog a bit differently than either of those. I play him as a positional threat, as in "I will guard this area, and anything coming within hook range of me will die." Secondarily I use him as anti flanking, getting that Genji off of our healers or dealing with the person taking the long outside route to an objective. For me, the two most important things about Roadhog are your position and the enemy position. You need to be in range to hook someone if they step one foot out of position, taking them out of the equation. My favorite spot on Hanamura is second story on the right side of the gate, catching Phara/Genji/Hanzo/Reaper all day long. As you can tell, I love Roadhog on defense.

I feel like Roadhog is one of the characters that has the most variation on the type of playstyle used with him.

Return to “The Arcade”