Spectators

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Spectators

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:36 am

Post by pablito »

I think there's been a bit of discussion about the role of spectators - especially having posting access within confessionals. I've only really seen them here on this website and I know there are varying degrees of enthusiasm for them. I enjoy the role but I actually am not sure as a mod how I feel about the necessity for spectators to post in confessionals.

So without revealing any ongoing games, I guess it would be good to ask the following questions specific to the role of spectators posting within the confessional. I think there's little concern for spectator being allowed a separate forum for discussion.

A) how did spectating start here in the first place?
B) what specific roles do mods see for the spectators?
C) what roles have spectators believe they have filled in games before?
D) as a player, how likely would you post your thoughts without seeing posts from spectators?
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #9 (isolation #1) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:42 am

Post by pablito »

In post 5, animorpherv1 wrote:A) Spectators were somewhat bored, and wanted to ask questions. They didn't feel like they were getting the full story. We tried it out in a game with some restrictions, and it's stuck.
B) I think the role of specs is pretty well defined. I like that they can go about and ask questions and are occasionally important to a challenge or such.
I won't disagree that specs enhance a game, but I think there's a line between what is needed for post game analysis and what is needed for spectator needs. That's why I'm not sure the role is defined.

I actually would like to hear more about the importance to a challenge, as that's a point not yet brought up.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #10 (isolation #2) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:44 am

Post by pablito »

In post 6, hiplop wrote:
Spectators form an important function. As long as what they say is only said on the board and not in private, I think they are a benefit to the community in every way
Benefit yes, but is it a necessity?
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #12 (isolation #3) » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:27 pm

Post by pablito »

If the cost of spectators outweighs the benefit that would be something to process. I think it's important to discuss the intent of having spectators inside confessionals to improve the process.

I think my question is why do spectators uniquely fill a role which mods or players can't fill.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #24 (isolation #4) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:31 am

Post by pablito »

I guess something I didn't think about much when I made the original post is that players are playing not just for themselves and the thrill of the game, but also because this is a public game. Survivor is on tv, and some players shill to the audience just as much as to themselves. Mafia games sometimes are spectated, but often not until afterwards - and dead threads are now more commonplace. Makes me wonder if any player who enters a large social game is not playing to the audience at all?
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #35 (isolation #5) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:02 am

Post by pablito »

An additional potential drawback is when players begin to compare the quality of confessional replies from specs or noticing a different interest level from non regular specs which can tip off an interesting play or tribal.
Sup, later.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #41 (isolation #6) » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:37 pm

Post by pablito »

Thoughts on specs spreading the love so that no confessional is ignored? Ie: staking ground on who you as a spec will always check each time you log in (and other specs doing the same but for others)
Sup, later.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”