Spectators

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:33 am

Post by McMenno »

often there's a hybrid dead/spectator thread
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:40 am

Post by MattP »

In post 24, pablito wrote:I guess something I didn't think about much when I made the original post is that players are playing not just for themselves and the thrill of the game, but also because this is a public game. Survivor is on tv, and some players shill to the audience just as much as to themselves. Mafia games sometimes are spectated, but often not until afterwards - and dead threads are now more commonplace. Makes me wonder if any player who enters a large social game is not playing to the audience at all?
I mean I don't make any of the moves I make for specs but I like including them
SlappyKrust
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:52 am

Post by Shadoweh »

pandering on mafiascum dot net? Surely not!
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:55 am

Post by BipolarChemist »

In post 2, Cephrir wrote:D) I'd post no matter what. I like talking about myself, and writing my thoughts out helps me think.
grumpy
grumpy
Watcher
grumpy
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:03 am

Post by grumpy »

I'll only say that from a newbie perspective, having the specs post in my confessionals in Medevac was crucial and was the main reason why I had so much fun. Not only did they help me learn new things about my game and play styles, but they were also there as a resource to answer any questions I had (since us newbies have a lot of stupid questions). Not allowing specs to comment would be a big mistake
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Post by CuddlyCaucasian »

In Conclave, I had a terrible confessional because I had no idea what to talk about. Even reading it post-game I have no idea what I was thinking through most of the game because I barely talked about anything, and I won that game lmao. I don't think I'm a good example to go off of though, because in my past couple games I've gone in with the mindset of trying to entertain the mods and spectators (and myself) over trying to win at all costs. I wasn't doing things I thought would make me lose just for fun, but if I didn't know which was the better strategic play, I did what I thought would be funnier...I think that was 80% of why I wanted to vote out Android 18. What I'm saying is that without spectators following along I get really bored and usually quit, but that's just me.
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

"CC is an objectively attractive person." - Crazy

"You look like a happy version of Trent Reznor." - LicketyQuickety

"Do you practice sounding like you're high all the time?" - xofelf
racefan12
racefan12
Townie
racefan12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:30 am

Post by racefan12 »

I haven't really seen much discussion about the costs/drawbacks of spectators despite the question being asked a couple of times, so I'll try to address that...

In my mind, the potential for spectators to (unintentionally) influence the game by posting in confessionals is too great to ignore. Using grumpy's post above as an example... should grumpy have had the ability to have people outside the game comment on his game and play style while the game was ongoing? You don't get that on the actual show, and you can make the argument that you shouldn't get that here either.

I know in Medevac I used the spectators interaction to keep me going at points where I wanted to just give up and not fight my elimination or simply quit outright when I was particularly busy IRL... sure, you can say that my receiving motivation from specs benefited the game, but is it true to Survivor? I don't think so.

This is why I very rarely posted in player confessionals in LoL despite being a very active spec... I didn't want to accidentally influence someone's game based on what I thought was an innocent post.

There's a reason why outsiders aren't allowed to post in Mafia games or privately communicate with living players (or even post in dead threads).
PrivateI:
I wish I could bang on the home keys on my keyboard to create an appeal to emotion. It sounds so...soothing.

CuddlyCaucasian:
Mafiascum: a land where pansexuality is widely accepted and understood while two people who share the same first name cause mass confusion

You have questions about me? I try to give you answers!
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:43 am

Post by hiplop »

you know confessionals on the show are the producers asking the survivors questions/giving them pep talks right
third best scummer of all time
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:46 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 31, racefan12 wrote:(or even post in dead threads).
also this happens too
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:49 am

Also to be fair, the people talking to players while they're talking in confessional on the real show are trying to create the most entertaining show possible, and ask far more leading questions than any spectators do
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:02 am

Post by pablito »

An additional potential drawback is when players begin to compare the quality of confessional replies from specs or noticing a different interest level from non regular specs which can tip off an interesting play or tribal.
Sup, later.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:03 am

Post by hiplop »

I feel like if youre capable of that level of social awareness from spectators you deserve whatever benefit you get from it. In my experience any time I've seen someone say something like that they have completely misjudged the situation and are going to do something to shoot themselves in the foot
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:37 am

Post by Vijarada »

yeah i remember everyone looking at aria's vote in the merge episode of school and she was like "omg i'm going home they're all looking at my vote" when she was just alphabetically the first and first to vote lol.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:51 am

Post by hiplop »

Hermoine did something to that effect a few times as well (misplayed idol, maybe?)
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:55 am

If you read into what the spectators are doing as a player, history shows you're probably wrong so don't bother

Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:57 am

Post by Vijarada »

yeah as a spec i just read whoever has posted the most recently no exceptions pretty much. just be proud you're a more updating confessionalist, i suppose.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:37 pm

Post by pablito »

Thoughts on specs spreading the love so that no confessional is ignored? Ie: staking ground on who you as a spec will always check each time you log in (and other specs doing the same but for others)
Sup, later.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 41, pablito wrote:Thoughts on specs spreading the love so that no confessional is ignored? Ie: staking ground on who you as a spec will always check each time you log in (and other specs doing the same but for others)
Bad. Just because you check in on them does not mean that they will be posting content that you want to respond to (some people just confessionalize differently). Also, flaking happens.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:12 am

Post by Shadoweh »

As a spec I check on everyone, there usually isn't so much in confessionals that it's hard to do that.
I think I'm a bit unusual in that regard though. >.> Most people get excited at the start and taper off while I'm the other way around.
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:16 am

Post by xofelf »

A) how did spectating start here in the first place?
That's a really good question. I have played a few games that didn't have that kind of thing, but it was such a very long time ago. I've seen far more benefits to specs than downsides.

B) what specific roles do mods see for the spectators?
They help keep players engaged and motivated for the game. Also, having extra eyes is super helpful. I rely on spectators because often things can be missed if I'm the only person reading things. They've helped to point out mistakes in results or challenge posts. They are good to point out when there are situations going on which may need a closer eye. These games are huge and as much as you try to read everything, it's not completely possible to do that. And having active spectators makes that be less of a problem. They're also a resource for the mods because the mods have someone they can talk to about what is going on with whom and what they're excited about and can't wait to see what players do. And they can get feedback on their moderation from a less biased perspective. It motivates the mods to keep going as long as specs are being particularly good that game anyways. There is the downside of sometimes specs can be particularly toxic and make it so that mods have a harder time wanting to keep modding their games when there's no appreciation or positive feedback given.

C) what roles have spectators believe they have filled in games before?
I know I've judged challenges as a spectator, and a few times I've stepped up to help run challenges that needed a mod to start. But I've played the part of being extra eyes for mods. And I've done the motivation cheerleader role for both players and mods. Just having a voice telling you that they are excited to see what you're doing and cheering for you can make everything better. Can make the particularly bad game days that much better. Because these games are often very taxing and just having kind voices makes giving up less likely.

D) as a player, how likely would you post your thoughts without seeing posts from spectators?
This is my biggest problem. If I don't have active spectator/mod interaction, I can't be assed to confessionalize. There's just way too much to get out there without some sort of direction of what to put down. And spectator questions and posts have always helped. My confessionals end up being a lot less updated or well put together without specs. Having banter with specs is also very motivating and enjoyable. Sometimes you may not get to questions, but having them is a huge help. Helps to organize, which for me anyways, is a huge problem. I'm extremely scatterbrained and when there's just so much it's not something I can just pick one thing and go with, I need the starting point. Questions that aren't vague but ask about specific things help so much too. Having an incentive to post, ala Hogwarts/LoL also is helpful for posting, but without specs, it feels hollow and like talking to a wall. Feedback is so vital.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:54 am

Post by mykonian »

cool thread!
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:56 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Xof's post is super on point. A spec 'on your side' (read, just the kind of pep talk thing hippy mentioned) is also really valuable. I do think there is some issues on leading questions, but mods are just as likely to do that as specs.

Anything that increases your participation as a player has to be a good thing, especially when you are new. Having TAS around in botb was my favourite thing and did change the game for me a lot, even just having her around in the chatzy and such...sensible, but non guidey questions in my confessional.

In my dream world, I'd love to run like... a newbie survivor with a dedicated spec/experienced person, kinda like a hydra but not really, they'd be there to support and ask questions and explain basic things (ties, rocks, how to use imugr?). It'd make me super happy and perhaps give newbies a reason to keep engaged and stop the occasional pattern of newbie pre merge boots.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:51 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 46, Bellaphant wrote:stop the occasional pattern of newbie pre merge boots.
well...

that's not how the game works!
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”