Newbie Guide to Survivor! (Questions + Tips Encouraged)

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #85 (isolation #0) » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:01 pm

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

I think the best advice I can give to any newbie is:
Be Aggressive

It's so easy to become someone who falls by the wayside, or is a compromise vote, if you play passively.

It's better to overplay your hand than to under play it, because at least in overplaying it, you have the opportunity to salvage, and you're in people's heads and building relationships.

In essence, while shooting a gun is loud, and will draw a lot of attention to you, at least you're firing shots and some of them might even land. And you can use that attention to your advantage if you play it well.

But just be aggressive. don't be afraid of being voted out.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #96 (isolation #1) » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:44 am

In post 95, BROseidon wrote:
In post 93, DeathNote wrote:I do notice that when I Try to do something different, I end up reverting back to my old play style.
I don't think it's possible to actually pivot too far from your playstyle. How you play Survivor is just super tied to who you are as a person, and a lot of it is trying to make your personality work within the game.
I've never really had an issue with this, but maybe that's just due to my particular brand of identity issues.

I think it's true to say that how you perceive things won't generally change when you're playing survivor, but how you choose to react to them, especially in the anonymous format which requires PMing, it gives you a lot of time to think.

To shape yourself.

To decide who you're going to be.

I... have a weird mental block of the 2 survivor games I played back in 2010/2011, I can't seem to remember doing them at all.... which isn't all that surprising if I think about the timeline.

However, the 1 offsite game and 2 MS games I've played I think it can be argued I've played a very very different game in each of.

In Survivor: Hogwarts (offsite) I won by being completely ruthless. I encouraged people to throw challenges, I lied directly to people's faces and didn't give a damn, and I convinced 2 players who had found idols on their own to
Give them to me.
I had 2 HIIs and found 0. At FTC I played up how I had fit all categories of the game. I'd won the most individual challenges, I'd manipulated people and I'd used both my idols at key times to ensure the game went in my favour after starting out on the bottom on my original tribe's alliance. I also had to answer to like 4 people who were all really pissed that I'd lied right to their faces and put the knife in them, and I managed to get 2 of the 4 of them to vote for me I think? I won 5-4-0 so, it was close but being ruthless paid off.

In BotB, I played as a newbie. For all intents and purposes I was one, at least to MS survivor games (as far as I knew at the time anyway). I game botted through the game, played in huge bursts and made myself an undesirable target once we hit merge. I made a mistake at final 5 by not being as ruthless as I was before. I wanted to stick to my alliance, even though I was still willing to cut people prior. I should have known to read the situation and change my plans but I didn't and I paid for it. But this was a way more low key game than the one I played in Hogwarts. I was also an extremely emotional player, and let my emotions show on my sleeves.

And then in Magical Kingdom, I played in some ways similar to BotB but I made a very clear stance at the beginning of that game. When I made a vow, it was kept. And people had to play around that, and it worked really well because people knew from experience that I was treating promises and binding contracts. I made a public spectacle of my deal with Haschel regarding the HoH round, and it kind of worked from there. In the end some bad luck and my desire to stick to promises killed me, because I should have tried to vote out Bella instead of Shadoweh, but I had promised her a while back that if we ever ended up in that situation, I'd focus on her and not Bella.

It's right to say that in each I have an undercurrent of being an emotional player, but it's wrong to say that my style was limited in any way by that. I played 3 very different games with 3 very different sets of principles regarding loyalty and how I approached votes. I think that it's possible for anyone to vary this because it depends on the decisions you make, as opposed to the way you are and feel. Which is why I say the best advice is "be aggressive" because you can always switch up and tone it down. But it's so hard to tone it back up and make it seem real. Make a plan and stick to it.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #121 (isolation #2) » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:21 pm

In post 120, BROseidon wrote:Guys would it be cool if I pretended to be a girl IRL?
Is your favourite colour Indigo?

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #124 (isolation #3) » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:53 pm

In post 122, BROseidon wrote:Uh, no?

My favorite color is actually purple.
The Joke.

-------------------------

Your head.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #127 (isolation #4) » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:49 pm

same

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #288 (isolation #5) » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:20 am

In post 282, Shadoweh wrote:Pfft yes I'm sure, Harbinger and Liara traded the necklace to reset the game timer and give more time for a lurker to come back and vote.
The Immunity Necklace being something you can transfer led to one of the most infamous moments on the show too.
The same kind of concept was done in Magical Kingdom, when Jason gave his to Cody to a) extend the timer to try and get more vote onto his side and b) give Cody a chance to progress in the game over him

Blood vs. Water non-anon had its cool moments.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”