CommKnight
CommKnight
Mafia Scum
CommKnight
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Post by CommKnight »

Which for anyone who likes probability.... 23 times at a 1/2 chance... is 1/8,388,608. (Assuming I predict heads/tails from the start and go right through before the initial flip). While I had a 1/2 chance every time the coin was flipped... the overall probability of being right every single time...
Modded
Open 691 (Mafia Win)
Open 700 (Town Win)
Mini 1976 - Filled (Currently setting up)
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Post by Umlaut »

We're not in agreement. 10:3 is just the same odds you'd have of being town:scum anyway. There are 10 town and 3 scum in your scenario.

At this point I don't know whether you're trolling, doubling down after being called out, or just not reading.

I don't like pulling out
ad auctoritatem
but I already tried making the actual argument and it didn't work, so maybe it's worth pointing out that I'm a mathematics ABD who designs slot machines for a living.

pedit
CommKnight wrote:Also would you think I'd draw attention to myself this game as scum if I did so last game as scum? I mean fool you once, I'm doing my job. Fool you twice, and LMAO.
Honestly, yes. You were easy enough to spot last time that I suspect you're just not very good at playing scum.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Post by Umlaut »

For someone who was scum in the last game, the ratio is (3/19)*(3/19) : (3/19)*(10/19), or 3:10.
For someone who was town, it's (10/19)*(3/19) : (10/19)*(10/19), or 3:10.

It's the same number.
It's the same odds.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Post by Umlaut »

In post 225, CommKnight wrote:While I had a 1/2 chance every time the coin was flipped...
Slip.

If you recognize this, you don't actually believe what you've been saying.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 160, shannon wrote:
In post 120, FireScreamer wrote:Shannon why are you offering to recind a vote if it makes someone uncomfortable?
It's not a literal offer, it's intended to show that the vote is not Serious.
In post 121, Umlaut wrote:
In post 119, shannon wrote:^^That's what makes me think faux claims. Also no one else is taking it seriously as they would if it was a real claim. I always policy vote fake claims, no matter how fake,
You didn't vote Titus last game for fakeclaiming "two letters."
When she first claimed I thought it was real. When she rescinded it I already had a town read on her, *and* a scum read on the person she had tried to fake out. In that instance, voting Titus might have shifted the whole game in a way I didn't want it to go.

In post 132, Green Crayons wrote:
@shannon:

In post 115, Brian Skies wrote:
In post 113, shannon wrote:Because they're both making faux claims and I thought it was time to change things up
If you suspect them both, why change it up when the first one was already gaining votes (and was a wagon you started)? What makes you think they're faux claims?
I'm interested in your answer to this question.
I've never been a mason so I don't know exactly how I'd claim, but I think 'Hey mason buddy' 'Don't out us yet, buddy' kind of stuff is not the way.
In post 159, Narna wrote:Umlaut and Titus are voting together. Given the events of last game, one or both should be scum.
I think the last game might introduce some biases here that aren't helpful, to say the least.
You still haven't actually answered the question of
why
you changed votes.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 183, Umlaut wrote:
In post 163, CommKnight wrote:Also, the likelyhood of mafia last game being mafia this game will actually probably be unlikely. So I'm pretty confident in the team being green this time around. But TB definitely rolled some of our bloc from last game as red this one. I'm willing to bet on it being FS of all people.
1. This is phrased as if you were town last game, which you weren't. It's odd that you identify with a townbloc that you weren't really in.

2. Why do you think someone in the townbloc is definitely scum this time? I can dismiss "scum last time won't be scum this time" as a common misconception, but I'm not sure how you're getting this one.
In post 185, Umlaut wrote:It feels artificial and a bit LAMIST, and combined with bad math that happens to point away from him in particular if it's accepted it makes me suspicious.

Re. your point about me and Titus, I think I understand what you're getting at but I'd rather have you spell it out to make sure I'm understanding correctly.
Umlaut I know you're a math nerd and all but I think you're wasting time trying to explain gambler's fallacy to Comm and anyone else who doesn't understand it. I doubt anyone who sees something scummy is going to put it aside, just because we're human and subject to our own confirmation bias. It's probably a more worthwhile discussion to engage comm on your LAMIST accusation, which notably went unresponded to by Comm.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Well I mean, I think I've caught him out on understanding it perfectly fine, which means I was productive despite my best efforts.

You're right that I didn't engage him so much on the first thing, but I'm not totally sure where to go with that.

"Why do you identify with last game's townbloc when you were scum then?"
"I'unno"
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Post by Umlaut »

@Comm
Who are you actually including under the heading of last game's townbloc?
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 212, Umlaut wrote:Gambler's Fallacy (MafiaScum Wiki)
Gambler's fallacy (Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

pedit
CommKnight wrote:@GC, if you're paranoid about being buddied. Look at Umlaut's question to you about a Narna and me duo. Like legit. He's trying to get on your good side. Also for being the math guy, he's not even looking at the numbers for this. Just sucking up to you to mislynch D1. I'm a betting man and I will bet in odds when they are favourable to catching scum even if they act townie. They can never hide from probability.
This feels exactly like Comm from last game.

VOTE: CommKnight
How exactly would you describe the similarities between Comm in the last game and this game?
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Aside from the general swagger and cocksureness (which is probably just how he is), I distinctly remember him taking others' scumreads/cases and tripping over himself to repeat them twice as loud. CommKnight's post there came right after GC said he sensed I might be buddying him.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 234, Umlaut wrote:Aside from the general swagger and cocksureness (which is probably just how he is), I distinctly remember him taking others' scumreads/cases and tripping over himself to repeat them twice as loud. CommKnight's post there came right after GC said he sensed I might be buddying him.
Can you point out where this happened in the last game? I know you can't quote a locked PT but you can give the post numbers to look at. I went through his ISO and didn't see anything like that.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:53 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

For clarification Iwant post numbers of the original cases and when he repeated them please.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Hard to quote posts from the old game when the thread is locked, but I had this in particular in mind:
In post 1710, Umlaut wrote:This may be the most fun I've ever had in a Mafia game.
In post 1711, DarkChocolate n PalmTree wrote:UNVOTE:
Actually I'd prefer to declare intent to hammer just to make absolutely sure he hangs today after seeing 1710. Would appreciate votes on Umlaut in the meantime.
In post 1712, CommKnight wrote:AND I'm locked in. That is the scummiest shit I've seen. Like it's almost too scummy to be scum! The only way he avoid the noose is if he's a mason and even that's iffy.
As far as I know no one else claimed to scumread me more for this in particular than they already had. This was actually a major influence on my later read of "town for the claim and for no other reason" on his slot.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:55 pm

Post by Umlaut »

(Admittedly that example was also directed at me, which is hard to separate out)
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Narna
Narna
Mafia Scum
Narna
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:02 pm

Post by Narna »

In post 1712, CommKnight wrote:AND I'm locked in.
That is the scummiest shit I've seen. Like it's almost too scummy to be scum!
The only way he avoid the noose is if he's a mason and even that's iffy.
Accountant has my back. Surely he'll free me.
shannon
shannon
Mafia Scum
shannon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Post by shannon »

In post 163, CommKnight wrote:On a serious note. VOTE: FireScreamer.

His play feels off from last game.

{FrankJaeger, Brian Skies, Narna}
{Alchemist, Green Crayons}
{davesaz, Titus, shannon, RoryMK, Necta}
{Umlaut, FireScreamer}

If FireScreamer is red, I'm willing to bet Shannon is too.
In post 152, FireScreamer wrote:
In post 151, Titus wrote:VOTE: shannon
Is anyone allowed to ask why or are you wanting to engage Shannon herself?
Also, the likelyhood of mafia last game being mafia this game will actually probably be unlikely. So I'm pretty confident in the team being green this time around. But TB definitely rolled some of our bloc from last game as red this one. I'm willing to bet on it being FS of all people.
Can we not tie me to the flip of random players please? And unless you think that you're a better town than any other town I ever played scum against, ScumMe wouldn't need Fire's coaching at the start of D1.

In post 164, Green Crayons wrote:
In post 160, shannon wrote:I've never been a mason so I don't know exactly how I'd claim, but I think 'Hey mason buddy' 'Don't out us yet, buddy' kind of stuff is not the way.
The question focused on why you switched from Suspect #1 to Suspect #2, when both suspects were doing the same suspicious thing. I don't think you answered that yet.
Just for shits and giggles, really. I didn't want to get stuck in a tunnel.

In post 176, Brian Skies wrote:
In post 119, shannon wrote:^^That's what makes me think faux claims. Also no one else is taking it seriously as they would if it was a real claim. I always policy vote fake claims, no matter how fake, I'm just sharing the votes around. I can go back to the other faker if it bothers you? ((This is essentially RVS))
Once again, why're you just immediately assuming their claims are fake? I also don't really care whether you vote Umlaut or not. I'm more interested in why you decided to change your vote.
Once again, I assumed fake because it's not a context in which I'd expect real mason claims to be made. As above, I changed vote because I figured, why not?

In post 182, Narna wrote:
In post 160, shannon wrote:
In post 159, Narna wrote:Umlaut and Titus are voting together. Given the events of last game, one or both should be scum.
I think the last game might introduce some biases here that aren't helpful, to say the least.
What do you mean? I'm sensing a pro-Titus bias that isn't helpful.
Biases like: X isn't playing the same, so they must be a different alignment, as though no one thought to change their play style between games.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 237, Umlaut wrote:Hard to quote posts from the old game when the thread is locked, but I had this in particular in mind:
In post 1710, Umlaut wrote:This may be the most fun I've ever had in a Mafia game.
In post 1711, DarkChocolate n PalmTree wrote:UNVOTE:
Actually I'd prefer to declare intent to hammer just to make absolutely sure he hangs today after seeing 1710. Would appreciate votes on Umlaut in the meantime.
In post 1712, CommKnight wrote:AND I'm locked in. That is the scummiest shit I've seen. Like it's almost too scummy to be scum! The only way he avoid the noose is if he's a mason and even that's iffy.
As far as I know no one else claimed to scumread me more for this in particular than they already had. This was actually a major influence on my later read of "town for the claim and for no other reason" on his slot.
That entire sequence happened in the span of 5 minutes. It's entirely possible he didn't even see the IC's post when he posted that.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Actually, all the examples I can find are directed at me. It's possible I'm just an egomaniac.

He also took Titus' case against me from 1220, 1224 and parroted it back in 1234 even though it was terrible. Others (well, Shannon) followed it but he repeated it as if he'd thought of it himself.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 240, shannon wrote:I didn't want to get stuck in a tunnel.
Why would you have gotten stuck in a tunnel on an RVS vote? This sounds like an excuse made up by nervous scum.

VOTE: Shannon
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Post by Umlaut »

In post 241, Alchemist21 wrote:That entire sequence happened in the span of 5 minutes. It's entirely possible he didn't even see the IC's post when he posted that.
I mean, it's possible, but when I scumread someone over a thing and then they turn out to be scum I'm going to keep it in mind.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
shannon
shannon
Mafia Scum
shannon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Post by shannon »

In post 243, Alchemist21 wrote:
Why would you have gotten stuck in a tunnel on an RVS vote? This sounds like an excuse made up by nervous scum.

:facepalm: Maybe it's hard to tell tone on the internet, maybe we have cultural differences, but I was taking the piss.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 242, Umlaut wrote:Actually, all the examples I can find are directed at me. It's possible I'm just an egomaniac.

He also took Titus' case against me from 1220, 1224 and parroted it back in 1234 even though it was terrible. Others (well, Shannon) followed it but he repeated it as if he'd thought of it himself.
See now that one makes a little more sense. I think it might just be your confbias from the last game talking here though. Someone said the exact thing about me when I voted you (something about "agreeing 200%") and I was Town. You just remember Comm doing it because he was scum in that game.

(nothing wrong with being an egomaniac like me though)
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 245, shannon wrote:
In post 243, Alchemist21 wrote:

:facepalm: Maybe it's hard to tell tone on the internet, maybe we have cultural differences, but I was taking the piss.
I don't see how that explains the tunnel comment in the least.
shannon
shannon
Mafia Scum
shannon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Post by shannon »

I can either explain it to you and it will be awkward, or we can just accept that you didn't realise I was being sarcastic and move on.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 246, Alchemist21 wrote:
In post 242, Umlaut wrote:Actually, all the examples I can find are directed at me. It's possible I'm just an egomaniac.

See now that one makes a little more sense. I think it might just be your confbias from the last game talking here though. Someone said the exact thing about me when I voted you (something about "agreeing 200%") and I was Town. You just remember Comm doing it because he was scum in that game.

(nothing wrong with being an egomaniac like me though)
oh shit it was Umlaut who made the 200% comment lol

Return to “Completed Open Games”