Micro 706: Restrictive Mafia (Over)

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (isolation #0) » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:15 am

Post by Umlaut »

I don't see any reason not to claim post limits. I am 8-5-3 restricted.

There are two things I'd like to add to the agenda.

Firstly:
I have some past experience with Not_Mafia and Lycanfire, though not much.
  • I played with Not_Mafia in Newbie 1661 and Open 679. I was scum in both; he was town in the former and scum in the latter.
  • I played with Lycanfire in Micro 634 and Micro 635. I was town in both; he was scum in the former and town in the latter.
As far as I can recall I have never been in a game with anyone else here.

I'd like everyone to say in their next post with whom they have experience playing,
so that we don't have to waste posts asking around for meta reads.

Secondly:
Absent a compelling reason to do otherwise,
I would like to default to lynching Not_Mafia today.

This isn't really about of his two posts today, but they do illustrate a point. Not_Mafia's meta is such that he can get away with blatantly anti-town behavior because people just say "lol, that's NM." See e.g. Open 679 linked above. His first post of the game was an immediate quickhammer on town. His second post of the game was
another
immediate quickhammer on town. He was briefly wagoned for this but in the end everyone just wrote it off as wacky hijinx. So he was never lynched, was not even seriously considered as a lynch candidate in lylo, and scum won a perfect victory.

I am not willing to allow the possibility of Not_Mafia trolling to a scum victory in this game. Until I have an actual strong scumread elsewhere and/or he towns up a
lot
, I am going to advocate his lynch.

VOTE: Not_Mafia (L-2)

Regarding the game so far:

TheRealGin-N-Tonic
made a solid introduction. I think his strategies are more or less correct:
  • I agree that we should skip RVS and go straight to reads, weak as they'll be.
  • I think it's at least reasonable to divide our labor and focus on sorting specific players. (Though we should immediately throw this plan out if we find ourselves telling people to mind their own business when they offer analysis of some other player.)
  • I agree that, since we are posting so little, there is no excuse not to include every player in every post.
Echoing Edo, I don't think having a nice intro post full of obviously correct advice is particularly alignment-indicative. I would like him to explain whether there is a reason he chose those three players in particular to sort.

Not_Mafia
is... well, you know.

Edosurist
's reads are very superficial. Granted that he's going off all of two posts, I don't see how a veteran player looks at a single tryhard intro post by TRGNT and and says "yep, that settles it, town." And while I don't expect Edosurist to be exactly townreading NM's posts, he should have enough experience with shitposting to more or less dismiss it. (Of course, conversely one could say "I don't see how a veteran player gets caught out so quickly as scum." I'm considering that too.) This is something to keep an eye on.

Antihuman
correctly calls out Edos' poorly-supported scumread on NM, but goes further and says he actively townreads NM. This should surprising, but I see it happen enough that don't want to read more into it than there really is. It's not a very good case but it could well be a towny one. I would also like him to explain any particular reasons he has for choosing those three players.

I'm going to attempt to sort LycanFire, Antihuman, and ZZZX. Lycanfire I chose for having what little meta I do with him; the other two are more or less arbitrary.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (isolation #1) » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Post by Umlaut »

I know it's awful to prod-dodge with a finite number of posts, but I'm way overdue for a prod and lacking the energy to wall. If I don't make a real post tomorrow you should all get on my case about it.

I'll at least give a few bullet-points rather than just saying "prodge" and running away:
  • Socrates' point about TRGNT making life harder for himself if he were scum is well-received. On consideration I'm willing to give him a few points for this.
  • On that note, I'm liking Socrates' entry. His perspective is different enough from mine to be useful to me while also being easy for me to understand.
  • Not so much liking Lycan's and ZZZX's entries. Of the two I find Lycan worse, and in particular I feel like he's looking for a safe position on the NM thing. He's simultaneously calling his presence "a mockery of this game," criticizing my vote on him (but not anyone else's), and giving kind of a non-answer to ZZZX's followup request for a read there (while not at all chiming on on the PL proposal).
  • Re. "should we really policy-lynch?" Well, I don't know, but I think it's at least worth considering as a fallback plan if we can't reach a consensus. I've never actually seen NM's later town play, so I have to take it from TRGNT that he can be useful later if he's town. I will come out and say I don't think he's more likely to be scum than anyone else, but I despair of ever getting an actual read there.
  • I note that Socrates and TRGNT are a bit at odds on their reads of Antihuman. My first impression was closer to TRGNT's, but I am taking Socrates' points seriously here as well.
At the moment TRGNT and Socrates are my top candidates for town, and if I had to choose a lynch now it would be either Lycan or Not_Mafia.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (isolation #2) » Tue May 02, 2017 8:32 am

Post by Umlaut »

I'm here and following along, just overworried about getting my posts perfect before making them. I'd better just go ahead and post though because people are making my points before I can.

Spoiler: Socrates: Town
This is my top townread. He's being very transparent and all his posts are high quality and show effort being put in to solve the game. He isn't doing the kind of nitpicking I would associate with fake scumhunting. His assessment of Dr. Smiggles is similar to mine (see below). Some of his assessments (specifically re. Antihuman) are
not
similar to mine but are understandable enough to make me seriously consider them, so he's someone I would like to have around for a while.

His new post shows a few more things I'm townreading, in a sort of "if I were doing that it would probably mean I was town" way:
  • apologizing for not producing an essay while still producing a good several paragraphs
  • having the high post count but worrying about not posting enough
  • ...actually, I guess that's it

Spoiler: TheRealGin-N-Tonic: Town
I find his thought process easy to understand, and his reason for moving his vote to Lycanfire rings true. I am a little paranoid because I don't want to give out a townread based on agreeing with someone, but I'm certainly not going to refuse a townread based on agreeing with someone either. I do wonder why he didn't move to ZZZX instead, given that he was calling out ZZZX's behavior in the post where he made that vote?

Others made a good point that if he is scum he's making the game harder for himself by pushing people to work together and give frequent up-to-date reads. This isn't
conclusive
but it's good enough for right now.

Spoiler: Prof Hamm T Smiggles III: Town lean
The most eye-catching thing about Dr. Smiggles' first post is her overt refusal to follow the program.
In post 11, Prof Hamm T Smiggles III wrote:Strategy stuff first: I think claiming our post limits only benefits scum as they try and manipulate vote timing for a mis-lynch. I also don't plan on limiting myself to 2-3 players for sorting. I see no reason why I cannot comment on all players in each post.
While it's kind of pointless for her to be the only holdout here, I can appreciate the point and I am generally appreciative of people taking stands against unquestioned town consensus. At this point a good number of players had claimed post limits so Smiggles was sticking her neck out a bit by doing this.

As far as her actual reads, they are quite "safe" but also unaffected: in particular she flatly admits to sheeping my points in instead of trying to put on a show of reinventing them. I do have questions about a few of her updated reads in , see below.

Spoiler: Antihuman: Null
No really strong feelings here. I liked his callout of Edos and I'm waiting to see how he responds to Socrates' points. This is my laziest read.

Spoiler: Edosurist: Null
There are things to like and dislike here.

I still think his reads in were too easy. He's since followed up and said the Gin townread wasn't that strong, but latching onto Socrates' explanation is less satisfactory than generating it himself. And I feel like there's a difference between what I said (lynching N_M might be a good idea) and what Edos said (N_M is likely scum), and no real evidence to support the latter.

On the other hand, he is proactively offering reads and contributing and I don't think either of the above things is enough to hang someone on.

Spoiler: Not_Mafia: Null
There's really nothing to explain here. He has at least given a couple of reads now, sort of? I still think he's a good compromise lynch if we can't get a consensus scumread. In the meantime I'm trying to think of ways to get him playing the game.

Spoiler: Lycanfire: Scum lean
Nothing new to say here since last time.

Spoiler: ZZZX: Scum
That N_M vote pinged the hell out of me. I don't really understand the reasoning but it suggests he is genuinely looking for a lynch there already, based on basically nothing. Beyond that, his first post is pretty useless and his latest post is excusing himself for not contributing more. Putting someone at L-1 and then saying "We need to decide things faster" makes me think he wants us to rush into a decision without laying the groundwork necessary to do useful followup analysis tomorrow if we're wrong.

VOTE: ZZZX
I really didn't like that second-to-last post and his new one doesn't make it any better.

Questions
  • Gin:
    How do you feel Lycan's play compares to ZZZX's? Why did you move your vote to Lycan specifically?
  • Dr. Smiggles:
    Can you elaborate on your townread of Lycanfire? Because I didn't like his tone or his thinking. Also, what do you think looks towny about me, because I'm pretty sure I haven't done much yet to merit a read one way or the other?
  • Not_Mafia:
    You've given (what I assume are) some scumreads; who are your top townreads and why?
  • Edosurist:
    How do you distinguish between N_M "hiding behind his meta" and just having that meta? How would you expect him to play differently if he were town?
  • Socrates:
    I need you to say something objectionable so I can criticize it, please.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #44 (isolation #3) » Tue May 02, 2017 9:03 am

Post by Umlaut »

Socrates wrote:
Everyone who doesn't justify why they
aren't
voting XXXZ in their next post will hear sharp words from me.
I'm going to go ahead and call this off on your behalf now.

Since I'm a little behind on posting I think it's worth burning a post to make the standard "don't quickhammer or else" announcement. If you are town and you feel like hammering without a consensus, consider that you are most likely directly causing
two
mislynches (ZZZX's and your own) if you are wrong.

@Socrates

I'm a little unnerved at the speed too; honestly I had forgotten Antihuman was already voting ZZZX.

@Gin

Thanks for answering. Not really sure what answer I was looking for since I think Lycan is a reasonable vote too.

@Lycan
In post 13, Lycanfire wrote:
In post 11, Prof Hamm T Smiggles III wrote:Strategy stuff first: I think claiming our post limits only benefits scum as they try and manipulate vote timing for a mis-lynch. I also don't plan on limiting myself to 2-3 players for sorting. I see no reason why I cannot comment on all players in each post.
claim it in next post or my next 11 posts are votes on you
How serious were you about this? Is it a matter of policy or a matter of scumreading the refusal to claim? If the latter, what scum motive would you attribute to it?

pedit

Oh for fuck's sake.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #52 (isolation #4) » Thu May 04, 2017 10:42 am

Post by Umlaut »

VOTE: Not_Mafia

Do not put this above L-2.

If N_M is scum he will probably self-hammer, to leave us with even fewer posts tomorrow. I will view anyone giving an early L-1 with extreme suspicion.

Giant FoS: TheRealGin-N-Tonic

Assuming Not_Mafia flips red (and I do assume that), we need to take a fresh look at TheReal-Gin-N-Tonic in light of his associatives there. Take a look at his second post yesterday:
In post 18, TheRealGin-N-Tonic wrote: Not_Mafia, I've actually played two games with him, the first game was also my first game with Lycan, btw it was Spyro themed something. In that game we were actually neighbors and I didn't trust him at all but he was town. The other game I played with him was in Accounting Mafia and he was actually able to successfully lynch the last scum in MyLo.

For this very reason, I stress completely that N_M is not a useless player. Part of the reason I started out with N_M as my vote is because he is unfairly the easiest vote to put on and people can hide behind policy. The reason I'm policy testing is because last time I should have trusted my gut and caught scum after a post like this:
viewtopic.php?p=8659834#p8659834

In a micro where literally one lynch is Mylo causing, pushing policy is just scummy as shit, not sorry.

As we move along in the post, my attitude towards [Antihuman] changes as I did like his assessment of N_M. The reason I like it will be self-explanatory when I do my bit on N_M as I share the view of N_M being likely town.

Now, it's evident I don't like policy lynching in micro's so I'm interested in WHY you [Umlaut] would want to lynch N_M. What I dig is that it wasn't a shade post as to why you voted N_M. You brought up past games and examples of why you believed in what you did, so I can come to an understanding why you'd default to that.

With N_M, I like the honesty and almost puzzling tone N_M gives off in post 12. It's reading to me that he's town and he is just doing what he does normally. okay fight me for buzzwords but he says "anti-town" and not scummy. I like it because he's thinking what is making him bad town and not a scummy scummer.
Note that Gin is talking down the N_M wagon on multiple fronts. In particular, the wagon exists more as a statement of willingness to eventually policy-lynch, but Gin is arguing not just against policy-lynching but that N_M is in fact town. And why exactly does he think this? On inspection I find his reasons hard to take seriously; it would be better if he just said "because gut." Gin's reasons for townreading N_M, condensed from the above, are:
  • He wrote a one-line post asking "What did I do wrong?"
  • He said anti-town and not scummy.
  • That... that's it, really.
He also likes Antihuman just for agreeing with him that N_M is town, even though Antihuman's basis for townreading him is markedly different and even though Gin knows perfectly well that the reasons for Antihuman's townread there are not actually alignment-indicative for N_M.

Next, he moves his vote off of N_M after (what I would still call) an extremely sketchy L-1 vote by ZZZX. This is totally reasonable. Of course you would want to vote ZZZX after something like that.
In post 25, TheRealGin-N-Tonic wrote:VOTE: Lycan
Oh, wait, he didn't. He voted Lycan. Well, that's reasonable too, I guess, since he claims Lycan was a greater scumread and we still had plenty of time in the day. And I suppose he could just be avoiding an early L-1 as a matter of principle.
In post 33, TheRealGin-N-Tonic wrote: VOTE: ZZZX
Wait, that was an L-1 after all (and an undeclared one at that) so I guess not.

There's another curious thing about Gin's vote: the timing. Gin already said in that he wanted Lycan to eat rope, and thought N_M was town, but didn't move his vote until . What changed? He indirectly cites Lycan's one post in the interim, but look at the timing:
  • Lycan at 2017-04-29 18:19
  • 15 hours pass, during which Gin is active on MS
  • ZZZX at 2017-04-29 09:35
  • 14 more hours pass, during which Gin is mostly
    not
    active on MS (one post at 10:24, all others are within minutes of the next thing)
  • Gin at 2017-04-30 23:50, based on a one-line argument that I don't think took him 29 hours to devise.
Something changed
in the time Gin was inactive
that caused him to move his vote when he did. Maybe what changed is that he saw a wagon sitting at L-1 for quite a while without anyone moving off, and decided it was too risky to leave it, so he moved his vote to Lycanfire because he felt his stated reads gave him an excuse to do so. He tellingly
did not
vote ZZZX even though this is clearly what got his attention, because he wasn't looking to update his reads, he was looking for a reason to get off the N_M wagon. He then moved to ZZZX when he realized that was the cleaner vote.

Gin also showed an inconsistent opinion of early L-1:
In post 25, TheRealGin-N-Tonic wrote:WTF even is this? Like literally explain your logic here because I'm not following you.

I'm curious because you put him on L-1 with 6 days left and not even a full page of content on the board.
In post 33, TheRealGin-N-Tonic wrote:The people I do suspect on the wagons would be Umlaut, ZZZX, Prof and Lycan. Now being honest and applying my own town reads of Umlaut and Prof, it leaves my scum reads of ZZZX and Lycan both sitting on the wagons to separate themselves from each other's lynches in case one goes down.
VOTE: ZZZX
Six days is two short, but five days is just right? Hunh.

Gin showed up one more time, minutes before lock, to and . The reads themselves are mostly in line with his previous ones (except for the part where Antihuman is in the second lowest tier now?). I'm not entirely sure about the motive for quoting me, but if I'm reading correctly Gin is doubling down on the N_M townread after the hammer. This would be the correct play for a scum!Gin with a lot of town cred to burn. Conversely, I'd expect town!Gin to have his faith shaken by that ridiculously anti-town hammer, at least to the point where he would want to
think
about it before reasserting that N_M is town.

Now, what
doesn't
fit this theory is the part where Gin pushed a Lycanfire wagon only for Lycan to turn up dead before it ever had a chance to play out. It would be one thing if people had weighed in and proven unwilling to vote Lycan, but actually they were just occupied with ZZZX at that moment. I would expect scum!Gin to try and push it again the next day instead of just shooting him.

I can think of two ways to reconcile this:
  1. I could just chalk it up to deliberate misdirection.
  2. I could observe that Lycan was the only player (other than N_M) who hadn't declared some degree of townread on Gin.
But honestly I don't think it has to be explained away. Players make decisions I don't understand all the time, and Lycan would have been a strange choice for anyone, not just Gin.

I would really appreciate feedback on this case beyond "hey, good case" or "hey, shitty case."
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #55 (isolation #5) » Sat May 06, 2017 4:09 am

Post by Umlaut »

Well, this game is even deader than usual.

Spoiler: Response to TheRealGin-N-Tonic
First of all, I note that I've touched a nerve. You're not content to rebut my case, you are trying to discredit me in general by saying I'm "fabricating some story" etc. If you think my case is fabricated you should come out and say I'm scum.
lol I quoted you talking directly about N_M meta and how he quick hammers and he bloody quickhammered. That was there so if i died, I brought up that "hey he's doing the scum meta that Umlaut said."
I guess this makes sense. Obviously we weren't
both
going to die and obviously I wasn't going to forget that N_M was pattern-matching his scum meta, but you were hurried so you could easily not have thought of that at the moment.
As for the XXXZ vote, I was switching over because of this magical thing called XXXZ being my second scum read, I didn't care that you posted literally a hot minute before me, I still was going to place my vote.
First question: why vote your second scumread instead of your first, with five days left on the clock and many posts to spare?

Second question:
especially
why vote said second scumread to L-1 when you have just called someone out for an early L-1 (the very person you vote, in fact)?

(Let me cut off one response in particular: this doesn't contradict my statement that your voting Lycanfire when you did, as opposed to voting him at another time, or voting ZZZX at that time, rings artificial.)
Also timing, I forgot to place down a vote and I was going to go waste a post because I forgot to place down a vote. I would save it for later.

Honestly I find it bullshit for you to scum read me for timing. IN A GAME WHERE WE CAN'T FUCKING SPORADICALLY POST.
The fact that posts are limited does not grant all-purpose immunity from having your timing questioned. Entirely aside from the fact that you had more posts available to you than most of us, no one can read and seriously believe you were
waiting to have enough to say.
It's among the shortest and shallowest non-N_M posts in the game, and the only thing in it that you couldn't have said earlier was your two lines of "wtf are you doing" to ZZZX. This is not suspect in itself, but it makes "I don't want to waste posts" seem disingenuous as a defense.

Funny thing is, there is at least one
really good
reason for town!Gin to move his vote right then: to avoid his townread being lynched. In your last post you still could have said "I posted because I realized he was at L-1 and I was still voting him" and that would have helped you, but you didn't say that.
Also, voting for me is just something I rarely do.

viewtopic.php?p=8898628&user_select%5B%5D=26156#p8898628

Take a look at the shiny mod ISO, you'll see a pretty little Gin sitting in the Not Voting for like 27 vote counts.
First of all: I checked the mod's ISO as well as yours. Out of the 17 normal vote counts involving you:
  • you were voting in 6, for 4 different people;
  • you were not voting in 9 during day 1, because you had explicitly unvoted;
  • you were not voting in 2 during day 2, but you never posted except to replace out during day 2.
Firstly, there is a difference between not voting, and voting a townread. Secondly, there is a difference between actively deciding not to use your vote, and passively failing to use your vote.
Also, both Lycan and XXXZ are both flipped town. That means yesterday I could have still pushed Lycan without a problem. Also you're saying it's telling that I didn't vote XXXZ and I don't know why you're fabricating some story when I literally answer...
Regarding "I could have still pushed Lycan without a problem" I addressed that point already. I think the fact that Lycan died at night is a point in your favor, I just don't think it's ten points in your favor.

Regarding your quoted , the whole reason I asked that question was because I was confused as to why ZZZX's post would suddenly inspire you to vote Lycanfire, which was how felt to me when I read it -- in fact I kept having to remind myself that you had voted him and not ZZZX. Your answer didn't help me out with that and is, in fact, irrelevant to the thing you're trying to call me out for.
I will say you are correct in how I was shaken by the town hammer. My reaction was a blur of "oh quick hammer..thats anti-town...quick hammer Umlaut talked about N_M, and a rush to find the quote explaining how scum!N_M quick hammered and didn't do shit."

You know the saying "life flashing before your eyes"? That's how I felt about N_M after yesterday.
You were so shaken you moved N_M down to the
second
tier of your readlist?

What is your actual read on N_M right now? What is your actual read on anyone right now?

Spoiler: Response to Socrates
In post 54, Socrates wrote:My heart sank when I saw Umlaut alive today,
:cry:
because Not_Mafia has 5 posts today to convince anyone that he's town, and anyone even half-paying attention would know that Umlaut wasn't going to vote for anyone but.
Fair.

But what do you make of that? Do you think it makes N_M more likely town? Do you think it makes me more likely scum?
Assume scum deliberately shoot off the wagon. Who do they kill?
I'd expect Smiggles, but I might just be projecting my own townread onto everyone else.

This is where I stand on the game:
  1. Socrates and Smiggles are town.
  2. N_M is scum.
  3. N_M and Gin have the same alignment (regardless of 2).
After today it becomes very hard to interact, so if you want to argue with me about where I stand, now is the time. I already know Gin doesn't like it, can someone else comment?
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #60 (isolation #6) » Mon May 08, 2017 7:42 am

Post by Umlaut »

I'm overdue to post again and there are still players who haven't posted at all today. This sort of inactivity is fantastic for scum because it relieves them of the need to say anything that could incriminate them. So if you're town and you like winning, do something.

@Socrates
In post 56, Socrates wrote:@Umlaut: It makes me paranoid that NM is going to flip town and we're being played. You read Gin as NM's buddy, but my mind actually went in the opposite direction: Gin deliberately put someone at L-1 to bait a quickhammer from a town NM.
I suppose I could believe that. Some of my case has nothing to do with N_M
per se.
But I actually find this concerning because it seems to support a read of "If N_M is scum that reflects badly on Gin, and if N_M is town that reflects badly on Gin." That can't be right, or if it is you should just be assuming he looks bad and probably voting him.

@Edosurist
In post 57, Edosurist wrote:Feel free to criticize me for how weak this post is. I apologize. It's very scatterbrained.
Don't mind if I do!

(Actually it's better than a lot of of what's been posted today.)
In post 57, Edosurist wrote:Umlaut's case on Gin is meh. I don't like that he's still on the policy-lynch of NM but simultaneously creating a case on Gin. Like, if you think he's scum and not mislynch bait, explain why. (I know I'm guilty of this, but in my defense, I would've elaborated some had I posted more.) I know he explicitly asked that we not just say that in response to his case, but like, I can't right now. I'll explain why I think that tomorrow or the next time I post.
Well, I'm looking forward to the explanation. In the meantime I think I've made my position on N_M pretty clear. I don't expect N_M to be verbose and helpful, but I do assume he plays to his win condition. That assumption alone makes him scum based on that hammer. Anyone could tell it was premature and unwarranted.
Even if N_M knew ZZZX was scum
it would have been premature, given the mechanics of the game and the silencing effect of progressing to the next day.

If you have a better idea, propose a different lynch and argue it and maybe I'll follow. Don't just tell me you don't like my vote.

I'm interested in your Hamm read in particular because I have her as hard town. Could you give some detail here in your next post?

-----------------------------

One more thing re. N_M: If we don't lynch scum today, tomorrow is lylo. If you want to lynch someone else over N_M, you should consider whether having him around at lylo will be good or bad for the town. Also consider whether you're willing to lose to a scum!N_M who plays like this. And, once you've considered those, take a realistic look at your own track record for catching scum, and ask yourself just how confident you can justifiably be that the person you want to lynch is scum and N_M is town.

-----------------------------

I note that three people (TheRealGin-N-Tonic, Socrates, Edosurist) have posted but haven't voted. Edosurist's scum pool is pretty big, and he should really say who in that pool he actually wants to lynch. Socrates should back up his Gin read with a vote if he's serious about it. And Gin... has posted nothing but self-defense, and needs to actually say who he thinks is scum now.

Also:
In post 32, Umlaut wrote:Questions
  • Dr. Smiggles:
    Can you elaborate on your townread of Lycanfire? Because I didn't like his tone or his thinking. Also, what do you think looks towny about me, because I'm pretty sure I haven't done much yet to merit a read one way or the other?
  • Not_Mafia:
    You've given (what I assume are) some scumreads; who are your top townreads and why?
  • Edosurist:
    How do you distinguish between N_M "hiding behind his meta" and just having that meta? How would you expect him to play differently if he were town?
These questions still stand.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #66 (isolation #7) » Wed May 10, 2017 6:12 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Posting only so I'm not replaced. I really haven't got much new to say.

@BlackVoid
It concerns me that all your reads are based on the N_M scumread. I think N_M is scum too but you really need to have some independent reads for the case where we're wrong.

@Socrates
Okay, thanks for making your position clearer re. N_M. That helps me.

It sounds like we're all agreed that N_M has to go, one way or the other. I don't object to anyone putting him at L-1 at this point.

I have one more post. I'm saving it in case I have to change my vote for some reason.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #81 (isolation #8) » Mon May 15, 2017 4:54 am

Post by Umlaut »

That kill is somewhat surprising; Socrates had floated a case that an N_M town flip would look bad for Gin, so I would have expected him to be kept around as a suspect for today. I was actually a bit suspicious of Socrates based on that case, thinking he might be lining up a day 3 mislynch knowing N_M would flip town, but Gin's death pretty much dispels that suspicion.

(There is room to imagine that a scum!Socrates might decide the Gin case hadn't caught on it was simpler to just push on an easier target, but I don't have any pre-existing scumread on Socrates so I have no reason to think this.)

Now here's an interesting observation: both lynch wagons have had exactly the same set of living players thereon (Antihuman/Gamma, Socrates, and myself). Thus the living players are neatly bisected into two groups: {Gamma Emerald, Socrates, Umlaut} and {BlackVoid, Edosurist}.

The unfortunate thing is that it's hard to know what to do with these groups. ZZZX earned her lynch and so did N_M; in principle I'd have no problem believing these were both all-town mislynches -- though as you'll read below, I don't actually think that's the case.

What I find extremely suspicious is that Gamma Emerald replaced into Antihuman's slot, said N_M was town, and
never moved his vote
or made any serious effort to convince on that point despite having posts available to do so. Wtf? Note that Antihuman himself unambiguously stated d2 that he was actually scumreading N_M when he made that vote; however, Antihuman said d1 that N_M was town. Then in his followup he moved him to null (while simultaneously saying he had nothing new to say about this), and on d2 was the first to vote him.

His position on N_M is all over the map; it's different in every one of his posts. Why? Well, N_M was already looking like the most likely lynch by the time Antihuman made his first post. I can imagine scum feeling they have more to gain by opposing that lynch than by supporting it, given that it was going to hit town. And I can also imagine scum noticing they've gotten criticism for the townread, modulating it a bit, then voting him after that quickhammer when they feel no one can possibly blame them for it.

On additional inspection, Antihuman never really did any meaningful scumhunting in his time here. Take a look at his reads in .
  • Gin is somewhat town
  • Edosurist is null
  • N_M is null
  • I'm slightly town
  • Smiggles is town
  • Socrates is town
  • ZZZX is null
  • Lycan is null
There is not a single scumread in this list. It's like a weak, wishy-washy version of the consensus read of the game at the time the list was made. Antihuman townreads the people everyone townreads, and nullreads the people that not everyone townreads. His actual vote is for ZZZX, and he can't give a better explanation than "I feel like this is the best place for my vote for now." Not even the best person
to lynch,
but the best place
for his vote.

Likewise Gamma came in, said "N_M is town" without making any serious effort to dissuade his lynch and while in fact
continuing to vote for him,
and never gave any reads on anyone else.

Let me say that one more time. Gamma Emerald contributed to a lynch of
the only player he explicitly townread.

So, let's suppose Gamma is scum. Who would his partner be? Well, I know it's not me; and his critique in of "the people making excuses to vote [Not_Mafia] based on policy or whatever," along with Antihuman's own statement in that Lycanfire's death "could mean there's scum between widely townread players, in which case my gut says Socrates," should tell you that it's not Socrates either. This leaves BlackVoid or Edosurist, which is in keeping with the intuition that most mislynch wagons will contain some but not all of the scum.

Dr. Smiggles had Antihuman among her scumreads, along with Edosurist (whom she voted).
In post 28, Prof Hamm T Smiggles III wrote:I think the TR on NM was a reach and Anti's answer to why NM's behavior is towny isn't convincing. NM's play here is anti-town. That doesn't mean he's scum. But to TR him for it like scum!NM couldn't or wouldn't play like this is a huge stretch. That's why I asked if Anti had played with NM and to explain this further and I'm not enthused by the response.

So Edo says there is a 25% chance of NM being scum, but Edo thinks he is hiding behind his meta (ie scum). Which is it? Is he 25% scum or you think he's scum? I don't see how those two statements work together. Also Edo thinks NM is scum because if he was town more scum would be pushing his mislynch. I doubt scum would be hard-pushing a mislynch on town!NM this early, and I'd like to know why you think this would be the case.

Edo's next scumread is ZZZX. But again, his reason is superficial. Edo's game does not show much thought about the motivations behind people's play and looks like scum unable to fabricate convincing scum-reads.
BlackVoid's own reads were all based on the assumption N_M was scum, which I'm a bit paranoid of as it would be a good excuse to throw them all away the next day. At any rate it's hard to take much from this as far as associatives are concerned.

Edosurist never really committed to a read on Antihuman:
In post 16, Edosurist wrote:His post reads genuine to me. I just wish he'd at least acknowledge that NM's posts were anti-town. There's not a whole lot to say here other than I'm looking forward to more from him in his next post.
...and never said anything about Gamma, except to promise to respond to his post and then not do it.

Now, is there any independent reason to think Edosurist is scum? Well, Smiggles thought so. So did Lycanfire, who was shot night 1. He got a lot of heat early on for having shallow, superficial reads, but everyone sort of moved on to other things (and rightly so; ZZZX kind of deserved that rope even if he didn't deserve it quite that quickly).

Add to this that I was already townreading both Socrates and Smiggles, and the solution is clear to me.

I believe the scumteam consists of Gamma Emerald and Edosurist.

...which doesn't necessarily mean we should lynch one of them just yet, because it's possible I'm wrong about one of them and we should decide which one I'm more likely to be wrong about. I think I'm more likely wrong about Edosurist, but we have some room for discussion. This is why, once again, I'm asking people to
please critique this case.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #82 (isolation #9) » Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Oh fuck this.

VOTE: Gamma Emerald

Not apologizing if I'm wrong, you all had time to say something.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #94 (isolation #10) » Thu May 18, 2017 12:45 am

Post by Umlaut »

This was scumsided
and
this town deserved to lose even if it weren't.

I'd be interested in playing a game like the one BlackVoid described, but I'd rather it not be 2:7 mountainous. More players helps not just because of the theoretical EV, but because it's more likely someone will have said
something
. Watching days go by without anyone posting was really demoralizing.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #95 (isolation #11) » Thu May 18, 2017 3:28 am

Post by Umlaut »

Actually I feel like the restrictive mechanic would be especially nice in a large game, and in fact is probably the only way you could lure me into another large on MS. Micros are easy enough to keep up with anyway, whereas larges are completely out of control and I pretty much just give up on trying to read after the first 72 hours or so.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #101 (isolation #12) » Wed May 24, 2017 4:59 am

Post by Umlaut »

Think I'm actually going to run a variant of this as a mini (2:11), anyone who wants to be a backup or co-mod let me know.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #102 (isolation #13) » Wed May 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Post by Umlaut »

...well, that was fast. Variant is already in signups in the mini queue, if anyone's interested.
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”