Ultimate Videogame Topic 3: The Next Generation

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2675 (ISO) » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:41 am

Post by Papa Zito »

In post 2665, Nexus wrote:12 hours into Persona 5 and it is
superb
. I love how slick everything is - graphically, the music and the storyline blending. Slowly getting into the proper game which involves social links and stuff so here comes the anxiety about missing stuff and doing stuff wrong but it's just so much fun.
Is this the kinda sequel where you need to play the other ones to have any chance of understanding what's going on?
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2676 (ISO) » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:46 am

Post by Nexus »

Not in the slightest.
Trans rights are human rights.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2677 (ISO) » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:35 am

Post by chamber »

Persona is a pretty esoteric JRPG though, so it may be a good idea to see what you are getting into somehow before picking it up. Otherwise I fully agree with nexus.
Taking a break from the site.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #2678 (ISO) » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:43 am

Post by Nexus »

It's part dating sim part jrpg all awesome.
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2679 (ISO) » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Post by Hiraki »

If you want to get into the SMT games, it is very advisable that you start with a Persona game - mainly because long runs of SMT can be unbearable at first but I think the Persona charm makes it cool.

Persona 5 is making me really really excited for how the SMT 1 HD remake and SMT 5 will be on the Catherine engine.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2680 (ISO) » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

I heard yooka laylee was disappointing? Is it true? If so, damn thats a let down.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2681 (ISO) » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Post by Parama »

it's solid but not amazing, 7.5/10ish imo

everyone should play hollow knight instead, it's great
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2682 (ISO) » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2680, Errantparabola wrote:I heard yooka laylee was disappointing? Is it true? If so, damn thats a let down.
I think it's a distinctly average game with an amazing soundtrack. I'd rate it 5.5 or 6 out of 10 right now. And "right now" is getting every single collectible and only having the final boss left to go. It's literally Banjo-Kazooie but it looks nicer. For good and ill.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2683 (ISO) » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:24 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I played a lot of Yooka-Laylee the past week. Beat the game. I had planned to get every collectible but
wow
is the game beholden to some archaic stuff.

There are some things Banjo Kazooie actually did BETTER!

- In BK, Notes (100 per world) weren't a pain to collect because they were used to guide you along paths to new objectives/etc. In YL, there are 200 Quills in each world and they aren't designed to lead you along a path, they're just randomly placed
- One of your "Pagies" (YL's equivalent of puzzle pieces) in each world is to collect all 200 Quills, and those last couple of them are always hidden in really obscure dumb places
- There's no cohesive rhyme or reason to a lot of the Pagies tasks. I would say about 10/25 are related to the level theme, the rest are head scratchers
- Kartos minecart levels fucking suck. They suck so bad and I ragequit the game several times.
- Camera & controls are janky. Flying is one of the worst experiences.
- I thought I would appreciate the "characters speak in quick grunts and groans" nostalgia. I was very fucking wrong.
- Hub world is a messy maze of bad level design.
- Only 5 unique worlds to experience. You can "expand" each one once to open new areas, but it still feels like a shallow experience with there only being 5 distinct worlds.
- The "transformations" in each world feel lazy. You go through a task to unlock them and then generally only use them to collect 1/25 Pagies, and then they're useless.

I was just very disappointed. There are some good bits there... there's a whole section of one world that is isometric and it's brilliant. The music is amazing. Character design is delightful. There's a good game lurking beneath the surface.

Unfortunately, it winds up feeling like a half-complete, rushed experience. The collectibles can feel overwhelming, and with only 5 worlds to complete, there are a LOT of collectibles in each world, which makes it feel daunting. Half-sized worlds with 10 unique locales would've made for better, less arduous gameplay.

Oh yeah and combat fucking sucks and enemy design is bad and THEY FUCKING RESPAWN so when you sit there for 5 minutes waiting to kill one of the brute mobs and then go the wrong way and have to wander back thru, he's back and there goes more of your time.

Flying completely breaks the game btw. You get a flight ability before the fifth world and at that point you can just bypass 80% of the challenges/content in previous worlds to skip the puzzles/platforming and get Pagies.

Final boss fight is seriously lacking.
Actually, all the boss fights are rather dull.

Ugh this hurts me so much :(
green shirt thursdays
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2684 (ISO) » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:54 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2683, xRECKONERx wrote:I played a lot of Yooka-Laylee the past week. Beat the game. I had planned to get every collectible but
wow
is the game beholden to some archaic stuff.

There are some things Banjo Kazooie actually did BETTER!

- In BK, Notes (100 per world) weren't a pain to collect because they were used to guide you along paths to new objectives/etc. In YL, there are 200 Quills in each world and they aren't designed to lead you along a path, they're just randomly placed
- One of your "Pagies" (YL's equivalent of puzzle pieces) in each world is to collect all 200 Quills, and those last couple of them are always hidden in really obscure dumb places
- There's no cohesive rhyme or reason to a lot of the Pagies tasks. I would say about 10/25 are related to the level theme, the rest are head scratchers
- Kartos minecart levels fucking suck. They suck so bad and I ragequit the game several times.
- Camera & controls are janky. Flying is one of the worst experiences.
- I thought I would appreciate the "characters speak in quick grunts and groans" nostalgia. I was very fucking wrong.
- Hub world is a messy maze of bad level design.
- Only 5 unique worlds to experience. You can "expand" each one once to open new areas, but it still feels like a shallow experience with there only being 5 distinct worlds.
- The "transformations" in each world feel lazy. You go through a task to unlock them and then generally only use them to collect 1/25 Pagies, and then they're useless.

I was just very disappointed. There are some good bits there... there's a whole section of one world that is isometric and it's brilliant. The music is amazing. Character design is delightful. There's a good game lurking beneath the surface.

Unfortunately, it winds up feeling like a half-complete, rushed experience. The collectibles can feel overwhelming, and with only 5 worlds to complete, there are a LOT of collectibles in each world, which makes it feel daunting. Half-sized worlds with 10 unique locales would've made for better, less arduous gameplay.

Oh yeah and combat fucking sucks and enemy design is bad and THEY FUCKING RESPAWN so when you sit there for 5 minutes waiting to kill one of the brute mobs and then go the wrong way and have to wander back thru, he's back and there goes more of your time.

Flying completely breaks the game btw. You get a flight ability before the fifth world and at that point you can just bypass 80% of the challenges/content in previous worlds to skip the puzzles/platforming and get Pagies.

Final boss fight is seriously lacking.
Actually, all the boss fights are rather dull.

Ugh this hurts me so much :(
Good summary. I finished the final boss fight today and have 100%'d the game. It took under 20 hours, so I don't feel like I really wasted my time at all. It was a distinctly average platformer with great music and great character designs and some really cool pieces in here. It just doesn't all come together as well as I had hoped, and man, the controls for some things were completely terrible and/or floaty. 5.5/10

It's literally a less polished Banjo-Kazooie with better graphics and no time put into trying to use some of the innovations in the platformer genre since Banjo.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2685 (ISO) » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:17 am

Post by Parama »

I've never played any Banjo games so I had no expectations I guess :V
It's far from the worst attempt at a 3D platformer I've seen anyways
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2686 (ISO) » Thu May 04, 2017 6:54 am

Post by Gammagooey »

I binged through The Sexy Brutale (http://store.steampowered.com/app/55259 ... y_Brutale/) friday night two weeks ago, it's a cool time-travel murder mystery type thing - all the staff are murdering the guests in a mansion and you have to figure out how to stop them one by one without actually interacting with any of them directly. It was little short but part of that's because I was rushing through a part or two near the end because I had already been playing for 6-7 hours straight and wanted to get to the ending.

The concept is amazing, and the execution is like 95% good, there's some minor irritation if you manage to solve some of the puzzles through trial and error without actually knowing what you're doing and why (which mostly can happen in the first two 'real' murders, the first is pretty much a tutorial), but you can just go back to the same area and follow some staff/people to figure out what was going on afterwards if you want to anyway. There are a few cool spots where you realize what triggered some things happening in the mansion at given times throughout the day, but most of the murders are pretty self-contained in their own areas so even though you know pretty much everything that's going on by the end, you don't need to really need to have much planned out movement/knowledge of what's happening to beat it which was a little anti-climactic.

I do recommend it though, I haven't played anything else that made me stay up til 4am to finish it in a long-ass time. If you like the idea/concept of it buy it and you won't be disappointed, if you are a little hesitant wait til it drops to $15 or $10 and play the shit out of it then.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2687 (ISO) » Thu May 04, 2017 12:31 pm

Post by Parama »

yeah i'm interested in it but if it's that short i'll wait for a sale
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2688 (ISO) » Thu May 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

I was probably up to 8-9 hours by the end (not counting a few more getting the last collectible things for an alternate ending) but it does feel like if they had just one more murder to solve it would have tied the game together really really well, especially if it was a little more demanding in making you visit multiple parts of the house for it. (the part I rushed through in particular I think was only used as a series of puzzles/things to find to get to another section of the house)
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2689 (ISO) » Thu May 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Post by hiplop »

In post 2675, Papa Zito wrote:
superb
. I love how slick everything is - graphically, the music and the storyline blending. Slowly getting into the proper game which involves social links and stuff so here comes the anxiety about missing stuff and doing stuff wrong but it's just so much fun.
Is this the kinda sequel where you need to play the other ones to have any chance of understanding what's going on?
Jess and I bought it! And she is 50 hours in !!!!

I'm only 25 hours in.
third best scummer of all time
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2690 (ISO) » Thu May 04, 2017 4:37 pm

Post by PJ. »

I'm like "7 hours" in but i'm really like..2 hours in.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #2691 (ISO) » Thu May 04, 2017 6:07 pm

Post by Nexus »

In post 2689, hiplop wrote:
In post 2675, Papa Zito wrote:
superb
Jess and I bought it! And she is 50 hours in !!!!

I'm only 25 hours in.
I'm up to 55 hours - always too tired after work to play it in a weekday so I plan on caning it tomorrow and Sunday. Still loving it.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2692 (ISO) » Thu May 04, 2017 7:16 pm

Post by PJ. »

Persona is kinda dark as fuck, huh?
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #2693 (ISO) » Thu May 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Post by Nexus »

Yup.
Spoiler: spoiler for the first half of the game don't click if you care
I personally have a massive problem with the (First Two Dungeons)
sexualisation of school children, particularly Ann, including her dungeon outfit (to the extent that I don't use her at all)
. It's probably just me, but the combination of outfits and storyline made me quite uncomfortable. As we get past that, it does get quite a lot better, although the (Red Light/School Trip)
fact that the only two openly gay characters are shown as predatorial for the sake of a 'joke'
also annoys me.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2694 (ISO) » Thu May 04, 2017 8:21 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 2693, Nexus wrote:Yup.
Spoiler: spoiler for the first half of the game don't click if you care
I personally have a massive problem with the (First Two Dungeons)
sexualisation of school children, particularly Ann, including her dungeon outfit (to the extent that I don't use her at all)
. It's probably just me, but the combination of outfits and storyline made me quite uncomfortable. As we get past that, it does get quite a lot better, although the (Red Light/School Trip)
fact that the only two openly gay characters are shown as predatorial for the sake of a 'joke'
also annoys me.
I don't mind the dungeon so much as its made out to be a bad thing. Anna's outfit is way too much though, agree there.
Taking a break from the site.
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2695 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 5:19 am

Post by Hiraki »

The themes in Persona 5 are a step back to the themes found in 1, 2, and 3 (somewhat on the last one). I agree that the execution was sort of wrong in some spots but I enjoyed the change in tone.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2696 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 5:31 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

is it odd that I can't get excited for Persona 5 because there's no gay options? :\

I dunno, it's become increasingly harder for me to give a fuck about relationship games
green shirt thursdays
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2697 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 5:32 am

Post by hiplop »

Yea its super dark. I like it a lot though. People can dress as they want I don't see the issue with Ann's outfit or anything.

I mean you can go your entire game non romantic fairly easy lol its not a dating sim
third best scummer of all time
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2698 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 5:38 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 2696, xRECKONERx wrote:is it odd that I can't get excited for Persona 5 because there's no gay options? :\

I dunno, it's become increasingly harder for me to give a fuck about relationship games
This is the thing I like most about most bioware games, you can kinda be with whoever you want.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #2699 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 5:40 am

Post by Nexus »

In post 2697, hiplop wrote:Yea its super dark. I like it a lot though. People can dress as they want I don't see the issue with Ann's outfit or anything.

I mean you can go your entire game non romantic fairly easy lol its not a dating sim
The issue isn't the outfit as much as it is the fact it's a schoolgirl dressed as it, but w/e

Return to “The Arcade”