new fire emblem fuck yeah.

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:59 am

Post by Cabd »

Bunny Xander is best xander.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:22 am

Post by Andrius »

"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:23 am

Post by Spiffeh »

(Pretty sure that's an April Fool's joke)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:36 am

Post by Andrius »

I keep forgetting that's a thing, to be honest.
At least I'm ready when someone tells me something too good to be true later(?)
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:10 am

Post by Errantparabola »

trying out awakening (borrowing a copy from friend) this week
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:10 am

Post by PJ. »

I like fire emblem, but I hate fire emblem.

I like making my characters smooch, I hate the bushido involved in playing a permadeath game that's decently difficult for nubs like me.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:48 am

Post by Andrius »

Which one(s) are you playing? Because the newer ones (the smooching ones, so to speak) have options for non-permadeath if you so desire.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:10 am

Post by Vi »

To be fair they've been able to smooch for a while, just not with you.

(but yes Awakening and Fates have Casual Mode; they also have grinding so you can play Pokemon Emblem if you want)
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:43 am

Post by Andrius »

Yeah, they've had support conversations but I took 'smooching' to mean the Awakening/Fates deal of love/marriage/children/galeforce that's a whole package now instead of supports and endings.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 206, Andrius wrote:Which one(s) are you playing? Because the newer ones (the smooching ones, so to speak) have options for non-permadeath if you so desire.

Nah, can't do that. No bushido. Play game as intended.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:03 am

Post by Vi »

Talking of bushido. I just managed to get through my second Conquest Lunatic Random Reclass run. It's the ultimate in useless procrastination, but it's fun to assign myself crack pairings and make them work.

I didn't have someone who could body the final boss, so I had to do Endgame the honest way. If you've heard what Conquest's endgame is like... yeah, all of it is true. My dear son Percy died for a good cause, but I managed to keep everyone else alive by making my two staff users work overtime. (It was all the cheese staves - I only healed twice, and one of those heals clearly didn't save mah boi.)

Spoiler: The team looked like...
Kristen
- +Skl/-Spd Bow Knight by way of Outlaw Talent. Bow Knight is amazing... on other people. -Spd blew, although Bow Knight managed to pick it up a bit before endgame. She got stat-screwed and only capped Strength. Was probably below average compared to the rest of the team.
Jakob
- Great Knight. Married Azura, and got all the Skills for Falcon Knight and Paladin as well. Picked up A Lances pretty early on. Was basically a battering ram with Darting/Armored/Warding Blow and a +Def backpack for Percy. Also the only person with Shelter for Ch. 25.
Arthur
- Hero. Married Corrin, which was about as funny as you may expect. Chairman of smashing things with extreme righteousness and hoarder of Goddess Icons. Had Movement+1 and Lucky Seven off A+ Niles. Not as hilarious as when he's a Berserker, but a lot more reliable.
Niles
- Malig Knight (from undrafted backpack Camilla). I didn't miss Camilla, because what I got was even better. Got Gamble and Sol from Arthur, which mattered briefly before he picked up Bolt Axe. An absolute monster until endgame. Got Boots so he could have 11 Mov after pair-up, which made most of the game pretty silly.
Azura
- Kinshi Knight. Azura is supposed to cap Strength. She was five off. About the only good things about her were Amaterasu and how reliably she could plink. (To be fair, Amaterasu + Healing Descant kept Corrin alive while Ryoma was torturing her.) Ended with 9 Def (her average is an already-paltry 12).
Haitaka
- Put him through both classes, ending with Spear Master. The Basara skills are nice, but I'm not sure it's worth keeping him out of Spear Master for most of the game. Worth recruiting purely for having Rally Defense all game long.
Selena
- Falcon Knight. Not a great unit to start with and got screwed in her already bad stats of Str and Skl. Wound up being the staffbot for lategame, and got Arms Scrolls dumped on her so she could use Entrap in Endgame (off 14 Mag = ~50% Hit, how wonderful). Picked up like five levels in Invasion 3 because it's a lot easier to train people when you have +7 Atk +15 Hit or whatever.
Laslow
- Master Ninja. Solves a lot of problems, especially when they use magic. Inevitable End stops him from being an actual god of war, but on Hard, use this guy.
Leo
- Dark Knight. He's already slow, but this time around he ended with 19 Spd. That gets doubled by at least half of everything. Still, he's the only tome user I had, so having someone who could use forged Lightning at all was nice.
Zhara
- The boss of Soleil's paralogue. Went straight into Bow Knight after promotion because he comes with Sol and he was the only person I drew who could use Shirukenbreaker. I mean, he was okay at it, but I'd rather have had Silas.
Dwyer
- Azura's son, Kinshi Knight. Usually kind of useless, but he capped Res of all things and became a lot better once he hit C Bows for Killer/Shining Bow. Having two units who could use Amaterasu was incredibly helpful.
Shigure
- Jakob's son, Falcon Knight. Surprisingly good at everything, although he spent a lot of lategame flailing staves around. Plus I drew an absurd number of lance users, and was running out of good lances by the time he showed up.
Percy
- Corrin's son, Nohr Noble. You basically can't do Conquest Lunatic without one unit with massive Def, and that's where this guy came in. He was hitting 52 Def by Ch. 23 after extreme smurfing, which solved a lot of problems. Alas, he got magic-nuked in the last thing I needed him for.
Soleil
- Selena's daughter, Mechanist. I didn't actually think she turned out well this time around, but it's tough for a Mechanist to be all that bad, especially once Replicate comes in.

Stuff like this makes me think that as long as
>you have someone who can hit the Def benchmarks in Ch.s 21 and 23
>you have one unit with Shirukenbreaker (that isn't Corrin) by Ch. 25
>you have one competent staff user and pick up Silence from Ch. 25
you can clear Conquest Lunatic with an arbitrary team.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Quite enjoying Path of Radiance so far. I could see it becoming my favorite one in the series.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Post by chamber »

I'm playing though it atm as well, finding it way too easy? Maybe there was a difficulty setting option that I missed.
Taking a break from the site.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 6:50 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Yeah, I'm playing it on hard, and it's quite a challenge. Maybe you picked easy? I've heard normal isn't too hard either though.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 6:55 pm

Post by Andrius »

IIRC the game won't let you play on hard until you beat it once.
I can't recall if it defaults to Easy or Normal for your first playthrough.

Also if you have Radiant Dawn you should definitely play it after PoR since the two games are connected.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Post by chamber »

I actually played radiant Dawn first years ago as my very first fire emblem.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Post by Fluminator »

I pirated the game tbh because i couldn't find a hard copy anywhere. It let me play hard, although I played the first few chapters in the past on an easier difficulty before I took a break to graduate before playing it again.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Post by PJ. »

Yeah both PoR and Radiant Dawn are like 90 dollars on ebay.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 7:27 pm

Post by Andrius »

Radiant Dawn is solid intro game in terms of gameplay/story, but the lack of supports is still a turn-off to this day.
The increased customization is nice since you can customize bonuses and cheese the buddy system with the Earth Bonuses but the lack of actual support conversations is sad.

I have PoR and two copies of RD sitting in my closet and should probably do something with them.
Given I don't even have a gamecube anymore.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 212, chamber wrote:I'm playing though it atm as well, finding it way too easy? Maybe there was a difficulty setting option that I missed.
Path of Radiance is generally very easy unfortunately. I've played JPN Maniac and that's still easy.

Try HHM FE7 or RD Hard if you're looking for more of a challenge.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Post by Andrius »

RD Hard
without
the Laguz Royals.
They make everything easier.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Post by Fluminator »

I just beat chapter 13 in path of radiance
Spoiler: thoughts
I like the story so far. I especially like the laguz, and every laguz character I've met so far. Ranulf is my favorite character and Lethe just tears everything apart.
I think this game has the most interesting setting or world it takes place in? I'm finding Begnion especially intriguing so far. Fire Emblem 4 may have gone more in depth on the politics of all the countries, but I feel like this one covers the actual cultures and identities better, making me actually imagine life in the countries more.
I'm enjoying Ike as a main character. I'm a little confused why Titania doesn't ever tell Ike anything about his past, but whatever.
I like a lot of the other characters as well (there's a lot being introduced now to keep track of) and the info talks between chapters add a lot.

Gameplaywise, it feels pretty much the same as other fire emblem games. This isn't a bad thing. The laguz units spiced things up though.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Post by chamber »

I've played HHM and I played RD on hard as my very first fire emblem, but I abused the fuck out of royals as much as I could >_>.

I'm at like chapter 18 in path of radiance, and all the guys I consider core (like basically not my theif?) are lvl 3-5 into second promotion outside of ike. I just walk through battles without using any strategy almost. I think I also go a ridiculous Oscar randomly.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:12 pm

Post by Andrius »

Lethe is amazing in PoR. The laguz in general are great, and the laguz who START missions transformed are amazing.
Spoiler: Laguz Mechanic in RD
Its a shame they nerfed the non-royal laguz in RD to the extent they did. Its not Lethe's fault she's OP.

Titania can't share what she doesn't
know

pedit: Yeah, in most FE games the less units you use the stronger they are and the easier the game becomes by virtue of a couple people just cutting a swath through enemy units. In my experience the Final Part of RD and FE4 did the best jobs at making sure no one was THAT broken.

Definitely play RD again and don't use the Laguz Royals in the Final Part. Makes the game a lot harder, even with using the 3-10 tome combo in F-3.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Fluminator »

In Fire Emblem 4, you could create broken characters.

Also yeah, I'm disappointed Mordecai never starts transformed. The chapter is usually almost complete by the time he's around.

Return to “The Arcade”