new fire emblem fuck yeah.

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:20 pm

Post by chamber »

It's not like I'm only using a couple units. Its the full deployment in most campaigns. Its like 10 characters or something not 4.
Taking a break from the site.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:26 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Play it iron man style. No restarts if someone dies
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 224, Fluminator wrote:In Fire Emblem 4, you could create broken characters.
Yeah, but I found that the Endgame chapter was difficult enough, even with a Holsety_Sety leading the charge.
In post 224, Fluminator wrote:Also yeah, I'm disappointed Mordecai never starts transformed. The chapter is usually almost complete by the time he's around.
Hence why Lethe is better. Because on most maps you'll be charging through their ranks while Mordecai just waits.
In post 225, chamber wrote:It's not like I'm only using a couple units. Its the full deployment in most campaigns. Its like 10 characters or something not 4.
Right.
Then I highly recommend Hard mode.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:32 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Also chamber, my sister told me radiant dawn is literally the path of radiance story directly continued. How did you play radiant dawn first?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 218, Andrius wrote:
I have PoR and two copies of RD sitting in my closet and should probably do something with them.
Given I don't even have a gamecube anymore.
Send them to me so I can play them =). I have a gamecube!
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 228, Fluminator wrote:Also chamber, my sister told me radiant dawn is literally the path of radiance story directly continued. How did you play radiant dawn first?
How? or why? I was playing with a friend on my machine who had played path of radiance so he helped with some of the details I didn't understand. But otherwise I just didn't understand plenty of story elements?

And I already do play iron man style, I've lost 2 units. RIP boyd.
Taking a break from the site.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 229, PJ. wrote:
In post 218, Andrius wrote:
I have PoR and two copies of RD sitting in my closet and should probably do something with them.
Given I don't even have a gamecube anymore.
Send them to me so I can play them =). I have a gamecube!
You know that Radiant Dawn is on the Wii, yeah?
They're on different systems.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Fri May 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Post by PJ. »

I have a wii too!
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 4:52 am

Post by Vi »

In post 217, PJ. wrote:Yeah both PoR and Radiant Dawn are like 90 dollars on ebay.
...and that's cheap.

They removed PoR's Maniac Mode for the US release because IS has to screw at least one major thing up per game. I think the most fun I had with it was when I didn't use bonus experience and only used the last five units recruited.

Another way to screw around with the game was to play a random casualty playthrough - every Chapter a random unit dies. :]

I mean, the enemy units are actually pretty decent, it's just that yours are way better once they get some training.
Ranulf is my favorite character
...and you haven't even gotten to his best scenes yet.

But yes, the worldbuilding and characters in Tellius are by far the best in the series. Come at me FE4.
Also yeah, I'm disappointed Mordecai never starts transformed. The chapter is usually almost complete by the time he's around.
Laguz Stones are basically made for this. Mordecai's physical durability when transformed is absurd, so etc.

--

Also, I'm playing another random reclass run, this time of Birthright.
I'm only now getting a true measure of just how awful this game is.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 5:37 am

Post by Spiffeh »

In post 222, chamber wrote:I've played HHM and I played RD on hard as my very first fire emblem, but I abused the fuck out of royals as much as I could >_>.

I'm at like chapter 18 in path of radiance, and all the guys I consider core (like basically not my theif?) are lvl 3-5 into second promotion outside of ike. I just walk through battles without using any strategy almost. I think I also go a ridiculous Oscar randomly.
Yeah PoR is ridiculously easy unless you're on hard mode and then it's "moderate"

If they included Maniac in the U.S. release like they did in Japan's release it would be more playable
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 5:38 am

Post by Spiffeh »

But I agree with Flum that story and world are really good and I think PoR-RD played in a row have the best story in the Fire Emblem series
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 5:44 am

Post by Spiffeh »

In post 233, Vi wrote:Also, I'm playing another random reclass run, this time of Birthright.
Yeah I've never finished any of the Fates trilogy because
1. Birthright bored me to tears and I stopped halfway through
2. For Conquest (admittedly the best one and the only playable one) I'm stuck on the mission with all the fucking ninjas and other shuriken-armed things
3. Revelations has an ridiculous difficulty spike out of nowhere that only your Avatar can stand up to???

I'm really hoping Echoes is good
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 5:45 am

Post by Spiffeh »

In post 236, Spiffeh wrote:2. For Conquest (admittedly the best one and the only playable one) I'm stuck on the mission with all the fucking ninjas and other shuriken-armed things
And this is because I reset when a unit dies because I'm OCD
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 6:28 am

Post by Vi »

In post 236, Spiffeh wrote:
In post 233, Vi wrote:Also, I'm playing another random reclass run, this time of Birthright.
Yeah I've never finished any of the Fates trilogy because
1. Birthright bored me to tears and I stopped halfway through
2. For Conquest (admittedly the best one and the only playable one) I'm stuck on the mission with all the fucking ninjas and other shuriken-armed things
3. Revelations has an ridiculous difficulty spike out of nowhere that only your Avatar can stand up to???

I'm really hoping Echoes is good
Birthright is unredeemable garbage in every way and the only thing that makes it tolerable is that you can basically skip everything from Chapter 14 on with the MIGHT OF THE LOBSTER GOD. (my tour of the game's awfulness stems from how I'm not doing that)

Conquest is like that :] Ch. 17, right? That's the first of several levels where being able to hit a certain Def threshold makes the game so much easier (in this case, it's 25, 27, or 29 depending on difficulty).
Xander starts with 23 Def, gets 4 from Siegfried, can get another 2 from Defense Tonic, and can get another 4 by holding a Knight or Great Knight (e.g. Effie or Benny). Add Demoiselle from Felicia or Elise for an additional +2. Chivalry is a surplus +2 in case something screws up. I'm pretty sure that stack completely stops him from taking any combat damage from the knife-throwers even after getting debuffed.)

I don't really remember a difficulty spike in Revelation, except Ch. 17, Iago's level. That's pretty much the point where either you're grinding, or the number of viable units shrinks to people with crowns next to their name + Reina + Silas.
Last edited by Vi on Sat May 06, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 6:31 am

Post by Andrius »

Uh BIRTHRIGHT is the only path where you get SCARLET for more than a chapter.
That counts for something.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 6:37 am

Post by Spiffeh »

In post 238, Vi wrote:Conquest is like that Ch. 17, right? That's the first of several levels where being able to hit a certain Def threshold makes the game so much easier (in this case, it's 25, 27, or 29 depending on difficulty). What's your team like?
Don't remember off the top of my head (it's been like at least 3 months since I've played) but I'll boot it up later today and let you know :P
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 6:44 am

Post by Vi »

In post 240, Spiffeh wrote:
In post 238, Vi wrote:Conquest is like that Ch. 17, right? That's the first of several levels where being able to hit a certain Def threshold makes the game so much easier (in this case, it's 25, 27, or 29 depending on difficulty). What's your team like?
Don't remember off the top of my head (it's been like at least 3 months since I've played) but I'll boot it up later today and let you know :P
I edited my post with something that should help you no matter what your team is. Conquest becomes a lot more fair once you know how to stack stat buffs.
Andrius wrote:Uh BIRTHRIGHT is the only path where you get SCARLET for more than a chapter.
Yeah, and she still gets hosed on the supports~

They even threw in a character who is canonically hot, and it still can't save Hoshido Quest. Only the royal chin armor can carry this experience.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 7:00 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 241, Vi wrote:
Andrius wrote:Uh BIRTHRIGHT is the only path where you get SCARLET for more than a chapter.
Yeah, and she still gets hosed on the supports~

They even threw in a character who is canonically hot, and it still can't save Hoshido Quest. Only the royal chin armor can carry this experience.
I mean, since I marry her I don't care that she doesn't have other options but, yeah, they really missed an opportunity for the Scarlet/Lobster supports they obviously hinted at.

"Canonically hot"? Is that a Flora joke?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 7:31 am

Post by Vi »

In post 242, Andrius wrote:"Canonically hot"? Is that a Flora joke?
In my headcanon there are like five people who had the opportunity to join Corrin's party but really wanted to get out of Birthright's plot while they still could, and Flora in particular panicked when she realized that she didn't have any good excuses to blow the heroes off.

But no, I'm talking about Rinkah.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 7:42 am

Post by Andrius »

No you're absolutely right the writing in Fates was lazy and Flora's death was stupid.
I continue to be baffled by how little plot-related deaths matter in this game, where every other game they mattered.

I'd be fine with half or even a third of the characters if they actually mattered in the game.
Felicia not mourning the loss of her sister was a missed opportunity.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 8:14 am

Post by Vi »

In fairness,
*Felicia definitely mourns at the scene, and brings it up in the intro to the next Chapter.
*Fates' roster was basically as small as they could get while still giving each important character two retainers. The only real extras were Charlotte, Nyx, Benny, Shura, and the others who just show up.

The thing about Fates' writing is that it was actually not that bad
except
for the plot and the one-gimmick characters (which, to be fair, was most of it). :/
If they were going to write a shonen anime in video game format I wish they'd had some self-awareness around how difficult it would be to take things seriously.

That's why it's more fun to only refer to the plot by way of memes and shitposting. Actually talking about what happened in any serious way just makes everyone feel bad.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 8:28 am

Post by Fluminator »

But it has Camilla. And you can marry her.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 8:29 am

Post by Fluminator »

Actually, can you? Or was she your sister
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 8:33 am

Post by PJ. »

Idk, I liked fates but I only played til like ch 14 on both games.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 8:41 am

Post by Andrius »

When I said "small roster" I meant like 12 characters who really matter.

Return to “The Arcade”