new fire emblem fuck yeah.

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Sat May 06, 2017 9:14 am

Post by Vi »

In post 247, Fluminator wrote:Actually, can you
[marry Camilla]
? Or was she your sister
Yes. Kinda. Basically? She could pass as your mother, too...
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 3:31 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Naesallo or however you spell it. (The Raven king) Might be my favorite villain so far.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Mon May 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 251, Fluminator wrote:Naesallo or however you spell it. (The Raven king) Might be my favorite villain so far.
Naesala (not bad).

We're talking about Tellius again, which means it's time for me to melt into a puddle over how fabulous everyone is.

(also, you're far enough along in the game that I can show you this)
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Mon May 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Haha! Yeah, just beat the 4 parter. Oliver was such a wierdo.
All my units are promoted now!
Tibarn scares me. Birds should not be that muscular.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Mon May 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Post by Andrius »

You haven't even gotten some of the best units yet!
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 1:10 am

Post by Vi »

In post 253, Fluminator wrote:Haha! Yeah, just beat the 4 parter. Oliver was such a wierdo.
All my units are promoted now!
Tibarn scares me. Birds should not be that muscular.
I know exactly what to link in response to this, but it's late into Radiant Dawn, so have this instead.
Tibarn is the best though (like so many other characters). He has such a dry and understated sense of humor.

While I'm digging through my collection (which I haven't visited in five years and that makes me sad), I feel compelled to show you this.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 10:52 am

Post by Fluminator »

Haha. That thriller picture greatly amuses me even though I have no idea why it exists.
Just beat Ena where Rolf basically destroyed crit her right away with a laguz bow.
My units are insanely strong at this point.
I've given Mia the gamble skill, and a forged slim sword with insane crit and hit, and when gambling she still sometimes gets up to an 80% hit right (with an 80% crit rate).
Nephenee has wrath, ambush, and provoke, and I imagine if she ever takes enough damage to go below half, she'll just crit-wreck everything that attacks her before they can touch her.
I've given Jill stun, Oscar Sol, and Ike Aether. Marcia has the boots and can travel everywhere. Rolf has corrosion and insane stats.
My units are just destroying everything right now.
It's very satisfying.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 10:54 am

Post by Fluminator »

Trying to decide if I should pair Ike with Soren or Lethe. He's got B supports with both right now.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 12:26 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 257, Fluminator wrote:Trying to decide if I should pair Ike with Soren or Lethe. He's got B supports with both right now.
10 out of 10 fangirls say Soren. Lethe has at least one other option to A-rank, anyway.

Also, this exists.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Post by Andrius »

1 out of 1 bakers say Lethe. FE10 was full of missed opportunities that furthering their support conversations was one of them.

Mia is absolutely amazing.
ARE YOU NOT USING CRIMEAN ROYAL KNIGHT FIFTH PLATOON CAPTAIN KIERAN?

Also you still haven't gotten some of the best characters yet.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Post by Fluminator »

I kind of am leaning going Ike with Lethe. Soren is great and all but Lethe is just way too cool.
Granted I'm putting Lethe with Jill as well and Soren is all alone without Ike. I'll see who gets there first.
I am using Kieran. He's already supported to A with Oscar. He's been given no skills or statboosters and he's still keeping up just fine.
I am unfortunately not using that sexy beast Makalov to even out the riders. His sister is fighting well enough for the both of them though. (Lol at them not even having a support)
Also, Shinon and gatrie have no right being in that rainbow! I can forgive Shinon but Gatrie knows better.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Post by Andrius »

I see you like your archers. (Rolf, Shinon)
You're going to LOVE FE10.

Don't bother with Makalov. The game has enough great Paladin as is without him and Astrid. Marcia is also amazing. Tanith is a typical pre-promote and the Third Peg Knight is also great if you invest time in them.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 260, Fluminator wrote:I am unfortunately not using that sexy beast Makalov to even out the riders. His sister is fighting well enough for the both of them though. (Lol at them not even having a support)
To be fair, that recruitment conversation pretty much made up for the two of them not having a support.
Also, Shinon and gatrie have no right being in that rainbow! I can forgive Shinon but Gatrie knows better.
Gatrie's, like, one of the very few blondes in the game (yes yes I know, Andrius). Being in the Greilbow was his
destiny
Andrius wrote:<stuff>
This is just my sensibility, but IMO let them get one playthrough in before showering advice on who's good and who's not and
just wait until the next chapter~~
. It's more fun for everyone that way.

(plus I disagree with everything you said but that's not important)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Post by Andrius »

Fluminator knows me and is part of this thread so I don't feel bad sharing my opinions since they're mostly wrong from a stats/min-max point of view.

(And as you said, you disagree with everything I said so its not like I'm actually spoiling anything.)

Spoiler:
Knives on Sages is still a dumb idea and I'm so glad they fixed Bastian in FE10.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 12:35 am

Post by Vi »

In post 263, Andrius wrote:
Spoiler:
Knives on Sages is still a dumb idea and I'm so glad they fixed Bastian in FE10.
Spoiler:
Knives on Sages only works because you can have Emo Soren.

(But to be fair it also balances Calill, who would otherwise be Pent all over again.)

(Bastian is underpowered in so many ways and it makes no sense.)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 7:47 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 264, Vi wrote:
Spoiler:
Knives on Sages only works because you can have Emo Soren.

(But to be fair it also balances Calill, who would otherwise be Pent all over again.)

(Bastian is underpowered in so many ways and it makes no sense.)
Spoiler:
I don't think I ever used Soren in FE9. His character design didn't appeal to me and mages are pretty hit-or-miss for me across the board.

I never thought Calill was that strong. PENT, however, was amazing.

Bastian is definitely underpowered but I care not. He's a great character and arrives precisely when you need him in FE10 and with how I play the FINAL part it really doesn't matter who your mages ae so longa as you have enough to surround Reyson and really cheese up the dragon fight.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 2:20 pm

Post by chamber »

Mounted units >mages>everything else
Taking a break from the site.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Spoiler: Beat chapter 25
I got Bastion, and he seems vaguely familiar to someone's avatar I remember. Geoffrey looks like Ephraim from another game. Lucia seemed a little too eager to leave her brother to die.
Rocks were pretty annoying.
I like the story, but I find it pretty hilarious that Mist had an amulet that contained a dark god and that anyone else who touched it would turn into a deranged psycho killer, and Greil and Titania never thought it was a good idea to tell the kids that. "Oops, Ike accidentally grabbed Mist's amulet for her. RIP"
I have no idea who the black knight is yet. I'm going to guess it's no one on my party, but surely it's someone surprising. Maybe Kurthnaga? Somehow related to Sephiran though.
Lol at Nasir being everyone's spy.

Nephenee with wrath, ambush, provoke =Mia with gamble and a forged slim sword with max critical and hit > mounted units > mages
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Post by Vi »

And... I finally completed my random reclass run of Birthright. Hopefully this cures my desire to dump time into Fates for a while.

Things I learned on this run:
*You can basically promote whenever you want. Skills > stats. Plus, even taking my sweet time getting through the game (without challenge battles), the only units that hit the level cap were Corrin and Yukimura.
*As long as you have one or two units who can kill units on enemy phase - not even every unit they fight, just one or two - and not get killed in return, you can beat the Lunatic difficulty spike.

Spoiler: The team
DLC swag for drafting Yukimura: 1x Boo Camp, 1x Fell Brand
DLC swag for marrying second gen: 1x Exalt's Brand

*Hapimasuku - Strong/Sickly Merchant (via Apothecary talent); ended at 20/20; married Caeldori. So named because he was a merchant who had squinty eyes, although his hair was cropped red. HP Bane eventually stops being a problem, but the early game is really painful. Str Boon takes a long time to kick in since Yato transforms so late in Birthright, but combined with proc skills it becomes disturbingly overpowered later on. Spendthrift was overkill for pretty much everything except the final bosses; after hexing the last boss Corrin was able to orca the chump. Spent a few levels in Falco and Great Knight for Darting Blow, Elbow Room, and Luna.
*Sakura - Falcon Knight; ended at 20/16; married Subaki. It never fails to piss me off that using Sakura pretty much means she gets the early Heart Seal. She turned out pretty decent, except for how she wound up
seven points behind
on her Spd, because I really needed a horsebird who gets doubled in a game that already has Subaki. She got Arms Scrolls dumped on her so she could use the Hexing Rod in endgame (50% Hit, ewww).
*Subaki - Great Master; ended at 13/18; married Sakura; friended Saizo. After eight levels, Subaki had gained zero Str, zero Res, and one Spd, so I promoted his sorry ass on the ghost ship and used him as a Jeigan. It helped me cram levels into him so he could get his good Skills early, which is probably the best thing you can do with Subaki under normal circumstances anyway. Picking up the Renewal+Camaraderie combo fairly early made him pretty clutch as bait in the midgame. Later on I burned my Fell Brand on him and stuffed levels into him so he could get Rally Spectrum, then switched him back so he could use good weapons. Being a rallybot for +6 Spd +10 Lck(!) +2 everything else was a pretty nice retirement.
*Silas - Master Ninja; ended at 20/19; married undrafted Kagero. Silas is way too good for this game.
*Saizo - Blacksmith; ended at 15/18; married undrafted Rinkah; friended Subaki. Leaving the Ninja tree meant that his bad Spd and Res became noticeable and he couldn't use shirukens, but I can ignore a lot of flaws from someone who gets 4x crits with the Great Club over 84% of the time. He was under all his averages while unpromoted, which only made Saizo reasonably powerful early on.
*Mozu - Merchant; ended 14/19. Since Sakura got the early Heart Seal, I had to train her as a Villager. It wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still pretty bad. It took her most of the game to become usable, and even Spendthrift didn't make her particularly great in the endgame because Merchant caps her Spd at 27.
*Setsuna -
Falcon Knight
Great Lord; ended 20/15; friended undrafted Hinoka. Rounds out the team of S people. It's not that Setsuna is total garbage so much as that she never, ever wants to take her hands off a bow. I didn't really know who else to give the Exalt's Brand to, so it went here. It didn't make her any better.
*Caeldori - Falcon Knight; ended 20/17; Sakura's daughter; inherited Miracle and Renewal; married Corrin. She flew, had reasonable defensive stats, and recovered 40% of her HP at the start of each Player Phase, and that was good enough for her to get a niche slightly beyond a generic combat unit.
*Asugi - Master of Arms; ended 20/18; Rinkah's son; inherited Death Blow and Seal Resistance; nearly married Sophie. I thought Rinkah was supposed to ruin kids, but Asugi got good stats in most places and became a go-to combatant thanks to Death Blow. Life or Death was kind of nice in the endgame because Rinkah did kind of screw her kid's Strength stat but bless his Def instead.
*Sophie - Great Knight; ended 20/17; Kagero's daughter; inherited Poison Strike and Defender; nearly married Asugi. To contrast with Asugi, Sophie got a stupidly good Strength score and had rather awful Defense. A lot of Sophie's problem, if it could be called such, is that she was more useful as Silas's pair-up than as an independent combatant, so she didn't see all that much combat.
*Kana - Mechanist; ended 20/18; Caeldori's daughter; inherited Elbow Room and Renewal. I'm still not sure if I should have married Mozu instead, but getting another Renewal unit is certainly a point in favor of the way things turned out. I had no idea what to do with Kana this time around, but I remembered she had Mechanist access, so I decided to test if it's really true that everyone who can be a Mechanist wants to be a Mechanist. It sure looks like it; she was super-clutch in the lategame despite never getting more than D-ranks.
*Yukimura - Mechanist; ended ??/20. I swear by this guy. Good Def right when you need it, Potent Potion/Quick Salve for excellent independent tanking, easy Replicate access, weapon ranks to use Silvers immediately, and I tried out the Spy's Shiruken this time around because neither of the final bosses can do much about it (lol birthright). Nary a complaint.

---
I like the story, but I find it pretty hilarious that Mist had an amulet that contained a dark god and that anyone else who touched it would turn into a deranged psycho killer, and Greil and Titania never thought it was a good idea to tell the kids that. "Oops, Ike accidentally grabbed Mist's amulet for her. RIP"
In anime, children are responsible people who do what they're told.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Mon May 15, 2017 5:54 pm

Post by Fluminator »

THE GAME IS BEATEN!
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Mon May 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Post by Fluminator »

I don't really have any critiques of the game. I was mainly just sitting back and enjoying it all without thinking about it too much. I'll probably examine, actively appreciate, and find flaws on my second playthrough. Although honestly, I don't really see any argument right now that it isn't the best one so far. It's basically just like any other fire emblem game, just the most polished one so far.
It definitely didn't feel like it was over though. You can tell they were planning for the sequel right away and I definitely need to get started on Radiant Dawn.
Spoiler: POR spoilers
Giffca was a fricken beast. Glad I picked him first. Tibarn is still way too big to be a bird. My top 5 units were in decreasing order Nephenee > Mia > Ike > Oscar > Boyd. (which honestly surprised me that Kieran wasn't on there, and that Nephenee or Mia weren't number one.)
I couldn't kill the black knight in time. I didn't have anything on mist, and Ike was only doing 3 damage. He could also only take 2 hits before dying. I DIDN'T RUN THOUGH! Nasir ended up coming in anyway.
I didn't really see the twist coming that Ashnard was riding Ena's lover in a feral form. Definitely made Ashnard even more terrifying in hindsight. Can't say Ashnard was the most interesting villain to me though, and I guess the only critique I can think of right now is the last chapter didn't seem quite as epic as other fire emblem games. But if I consider it's not really the end, and just the end of part 1 I'm okay with it.

Also, I'm confused about one thing in the story. At the end Ike, Mist, and Sephiran were all freaking out about not getting the song to someone who could use it to release the dark god from the medallion.
Why do they want the ability to summon a dark god to be available????
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 3:58 am

Post by Vi »

Spoiler:
In re: dark god - It's better to be able to release the dark god than to get it strong enough to break out on its own.

The fight against the Burger King was the worst-designed part of the game IMO. Even if you cram all the resources into Ike and Mist, you still have to get lucky to actually win (preferably before the reinforcements show up) and if you screw up you have to play a long level again. At least it doesn't really matter.

The FE fandom thinks that Ashnard is the best villain in the series, actually. Rather than the usual omnicidal dragon thing, Ashnard was a psycho warlord who not only presented a radically meritocratic worldview in a plot that discusses the responsibilities of royalty and has a deep skepticism about nobility, but also wanted to release a dark god purely to further his belief that this worldview was the right thing (and, while he may not have survived the encounter with said god, he likely wouldn't have cared because that would have fit in his philosophy). The odd thing is that the game doesn't spell it out clearly unless Ashnard fights... Reyson.

But yes in terms of plot and setting it's probably the best game in the series.

Did you have a favorite BGM? (Don't forget to try a Trial Map before answering.)
Favorite character?
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 4:31 am

Post by Cabd »

In post 270, Fluminator wrote:Nephenee
Legit the only unit from the GC/Wii series that I'm willing to whale for in FE:H.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Post by Fluminator »

In post 271, Vi wrote:
Spoiler:
In re: dark god - It's better to be able to release the dark god than to get it strong enough to break out on its own.

The fight against the Burger King was the worst-designed part of the game IMO. Even if you cram all the resources into Ike and Mist, you still have to get lucky to actually win (preferably before the reinforcements show up) and if you screw up you have to play a long level again. At least it doesn't really matter.

The FE fandom thinks that Ashnard is the best villain in the series, actually. Rather than the usual omnicidal dragon thing, Ashnard was a psycho warlord who not only presented a radically meritocratic worldview in a plot that discusses the responsibilities of royalty and has a deep skepticism about nobility, but also wanted to release a dark god purely to further his belief that this worldview was the right thing (and, while he may not have survived the encounter with said god, he likely wouldn't have cared because that would have fit in his philosophy). The odd thing is that the game doesn't spell it out clearly unless Ashnard fights... Reyson.

But yes in terms of plot and setting it's probably the best game in the series.

Did you have a favorite BGM? (Don't forget to try a Trial Map before answering.)
Favorite character?
Spoiler:
Favorite BGM has to be Giffca. He's a freaking tank, and I get so giddy seeing a lion taking out everything. The most interesting character to me was either Ranulf, Shinon, or Naesala. Although in terms of just sitting back watching them destroy everything, it would have to be Nephenee. She was an absolute tank.

I read through some of the dialogue on Serene's Forest and support conversations I missed. I read all the battle dialogue with Ashnard. I can see how he got his ideas from his distaste of the Begnion royalty. I'll have to read his dialogue more closely next time. He was certainly a crazy guy.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 1:37 am

Post by Vi »

(BGM is background music.)

These are all good choices for best character in every respect. Although there aren't many bad choices, to be fair.

Return to “The Arcade”