Annur Philosophy Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #68 (isolation #0) » Tue May 16, 2017 8:02 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 20, MarioManiac4 wrote:
In post 16, Accountant wrote:
In post 15, MarioManiac4 wrote:There is no universally agreed upon definition of "good."
So "good" depends on what humans agree on, rather than an external objective truth(let us set aside the question of what that truth is for now)?

In a world where it was universally agreed on that sexism is good, is sexism suddenly good?
In society, the word "good" does indeed turn towards meaning what the majority thinks is true. Therefore, this would be the accepted meaning of "good", yes.

Personally, I believe that good things have no, or very sparce, physical and mental pain and prevent physical and mental pain. My votes in society reflect this. Everyone else's vote reflects their opinion. Generally democracy is the best current way to limit "physical" and "mental" pain
as long as it is a true democracy where no group is unable to vote and anyone gets a say.
Is this really the best idea? In the US, convicted felons are disallowed from voting. While sometimes this cn cause problems, I generally agree with this sentiment. Do you want a tax evader voting on tax issues? I don't.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (isolation #1) » Tue May 16, 2017 8:06 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 29, MarioManiac4 wrote:
In post 28, Accountant wrote:What if I told you that a benevolent dictatorship would lead to less harm because it doesn't have the same flaws democracy does?
What if I told you that a benevolent dictatorship system is even more flawed and is also unsustainable?
This is correct. IMO there is no "benevolent dictatorship". SOMEONE will abuse power.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #72 (isolation #2) » Tue May 16, 2017 8:10 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

People are greedy. You yourself say that people are generally evil: so being in a position of power would draw out that evil wouldn't you think?
<Embrace The Void>

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #77 (isolation #3) » Tue May 16, 2017 8:22 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

How would that work Accountant?
<Embrace The Void>

Return to “General Discussion”