Scummer D&D for newbies!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #700 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 9:36 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 689, Firebringer wrote:I get the opinion this group is becoming less RP and too mechanical for my tastes.
I hate us always making decisions on just what is the most optimal.
Yeah, I'd rather play a good game and really do what I/the character wants to do than feel forced into something to either Min/Max or detract from your experience.

Glad you raised your concern though so we can hopefully correct any issues and keep this up.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #701 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 9:40 am

Post by Dunnstral »

Don't go leopard.
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #702 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 9:48 am

Post by gigabyteTroubadour »

fire if it helps raia is horribly unoptimized
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

☭ I'm coming for that toothbrush ☭
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #703 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 11:10 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Bisons are amazing rp wise and solid mechanically if you want a really fluffy friend.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #704 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 11:11 am

Post by Dunnstral »

I recommend The Ape or Bison

Ape might be better :)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #705 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 1:47 pm

Post by Andrius »

So I'd like to take a moment and talk about last session - the fight where half the party abandoned the other half.

I originally wasn't going to say anything, but FG was like 'have you guys talked to ether and postie yet' and I only now realized that sorting this out might be a good idea for the health of the group.

Ether, we're always in danger. Rose sitting out only makes fights worse without the CC. Rose showed up to the fight and the tables turned.
Postie, Achan running off in the middle of the fight for an unknown reason put all of us in danger because we lost THE biggest melee damage dealer AND our best tank via AC since Sigma was absent.

I understand that you might be concerned about your character, but maybe consider what it would be like if YOU were the one bleeding out on the ground while half the party abandoned you. Because it could have been much worse than Erwin dying. When I left the game early to get on the road, Fiona was bleeding out on the ground, and Hellion and Growlithe were alone against a boss, alone and likely facing a TPK. Which no one wants to be part of.

I am fine having Erwin die in our party of three, trying to save his best friend and the woman he loves because I did everything I could.
I'm ok losing a character if I make a poor decision or take a risk that doesn't pay off. That's 100% on me.
I'm NOT ok with Erwin dying in a party of five where two people chose to be non-combatants and leave everyone else to die.

Now I'm still interested in playing the campaign and I'm trying to design a new character since we might be too early for resurrection and I personally dislike the concept, but I'd like to know if I should expect more of the same going forward. Because I can't be an effective front-liner without support, and I can't be an effective back-liner if the front-line runs away in a fight. Maybe we need to have a talk about if we still play if we're missing people, given this seems to be a recurring trend and the reason Ether didn't want to play given Sigma was MIA.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #706 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Post by Ether »

When I saw the nature of the fight, I knew it was something we could probably handle as a group without Sigma, but I felt like I'd made my bed and it'd be shitty to only ask to join after having the luxury of that risk assessment. I felt too guilty to ask and didn't realize it was an option until Postie said she was running and FakeGod asked, "To get Rose?" Even then, he didn't let me enter the fray until Achan tagged me in.

My vote was to hold out and wait for Dunnstral, even if that meant missing the session, not for you guys to risk your lives while I stayed safe--but I was outnumbered and everyone else wanted to play. On the information I had, which was expecting more ghouls, I'm still not sure I was in the wrong.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #707 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

Would it be annoying or helpful if I had rage/devotion "timers" (symbols with numbers) on Sigma's token?
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #708 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Post by Andrius »

I'd rather you have asked and/or bit the bullet and ran in than sitting there.
I mean whatever Rose would do she'd do but the whole situation was bad to worse without you and:
In post 706, Ether wrote:FakeGod asked, "To get Rose?"
I'd bet that this was FG trying to save us by allowing you to show up since you hadn't asked if you could.
This is just idle speculation though. It wouldn't be the first time he's nudged us into/away from death.
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #709 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 6:17 pm

Post by MariaR »

Well if we're laying out all out so be it, I agree with a lot of what Andy's said but to put it into my own words. I don't know why any of you signed up and that's your own issue/goal I joined to have fun RP as a character and do my best, Would I like to win and make to the end? Yeah of course I would! But I'd rather lose playing how I think my character would play it out then do the "this is super optimal this is the right thing to do" I don't have a problem with Rose or Achan leaving mostly because it seems like something they'd do. What I have an issue is atm it's a "the world circles around sigma" game at the moment.

Do you think we wanted to just throw our characters into it knowing they could die? No of course not everyone spent time and effort making them we're attached to these characters, (some more than others) I can't speak for anyone who kept going but I know for me I was 100% going into that expecting Fiona to die I kept going because I wanted to play have fun and I knew that's what she'd do we shouldn't hold ourself back just because it could be wrong to do something
I bet Maria is scum this game
~Firebringer
Na Maria isn't towny enough to be scum this game~
Charloux

MariaR goes for the uwu owo tsundere-dere look but you never know if she has a knife behind her back.~
Bitmap
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #710 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

It sounds like people have a problem with sigma being too strong?

What are you saying Maria

Would you like if Sigma were left behind is raintree and a wizard or scout joined the party
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #711 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 6:34 pm

Post by MariaR »

No Dunn it's not that at all I don't mind the fact that Sigma is strong it's great really! I don't like that if you're not here we're basically having a huge huge fallback and I want to try and get us stronger to get on your level.
~Firebringer
Charloux

MariaR goes for the uwu owo tsundere-dere look but you never know if she has a knife behind her back.~
Bitmap
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #712 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Post by MariaR »

I think the final boss fight really really put it into view for me without Sigma we were fucked I'm just trying to figure out how to balance everyone out.
~Firebringer
Charloux

Bitmap
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #713 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Post by MariaR »

We have a lot more members so what we lose in EXP we need to use in teamwork I'm trying to figure out how we do this though.
~Firebringer
Charloux

Bitmap
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #714 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 705, Andrius wrote:Ether, we're always in danger. Rose sitting out only makes fights worse without the CC. Rose showed up to the fight and the tables turned.
Postie, Achan running off in the middle of the fight for an unknown reason put all of us in danger because we lost THE biggest melee damage dealer AND our best tank via AC since Sigma was absent.

I understand that you might be concerned about your character, but maybe consider what it would be like if YOU were the one bleeding out on the ground while half the party abandoned you. Because it could have been much worse than Erwin dying. When I left the game early to get on the road, Fiona was bleeding out on the ground, and Hellion and Growlithe were alone against a boss, alone and likely facing a TPK. Which no one wants to be part of.

I am fine having Erwin die in our party of three, trying to save his best friend and the woman he loves because I did everything I could.
I'm ok losing a character if I make a poor decision or take a risk that doesn't pay off. That's 100% on me.
I'm NOT ok with Erwin dying in a party of five where two people chose to be non-combatants and leave everyone else to die.
To go on this, I think it was fine for Postie to do what she was doing, though honestly the more i think about it I REALLY THINK she should have given us a heads up on this that she was planning to develop her character this way so we don't just go "WTF is going on", because it literally happened out of nowhere. I get she was doing her character development but it kind of developed out of thin air, one minute Achan charges into battle recklessly and the next she starts running when things go sour. Never fully explored her character so didn't understand the change, i think making choices in character is generally good but try to be respectful of your party members to not intentionally screw them over without a heads up is also good.

Ether...I was really upset about you abandoning and then joining. Like you wanted us to not do the session so that we wouldn't TPK but you leaving the group meant that a TPK was more likely, I know you thought we were facing ghouls so you wouldn't be useful but i think thats just not true even if we were facing ghouls.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #715 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 8:16 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 712, MariaR wrote:I think the final boss fight really really put it into view for me without Sigma we were fucked I'm just trying to figure out how to balance everyone out.
Keep in mind that sigma is actually the fourth character I've come up with here while most others were/are on their first
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #716 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 11:32 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

SO hey guys, my backup character is coming along NICELY, though I've got a feat slot open from human paragon (I'll show you guys what it means to be a HUMAN *dies in 1 session*)

So I've been kind of wondering what I'd take in that slot and I've kind of narrowed it down to 3 choices. Do I want to take the Run feat so I can run as fast as Postie ran away from her companions; the Arterial Strike feat so I can backstab enemies like Ether backstabbed the group by leaving them to fend for themselves; or the Stealthy feat so I can disappear like Giga did?
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #717 (ISO) » Tue May 16, 2017 11:32 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

Spoiler:
that was a joke
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #718 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 5:27 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 709, MariaR wrote:I don't have a problem with Rose or Achan leaving mostly because it seems like something they'd do
I don't recall the decision being made because of what Rose would do - Ether was concerned about undead and I thought it was Ether didn't want to play without Dunn, not because
Rose
thought ABC.
In post 711, MariaR wrote:No Dunn it's not that at all I don't mind the fact that Sigma is strong it's great really! I don't like that if you're not here we're basically having a huge huge fallback and I want to try and get us stronger to get on your level.
Basically this.
I'm more irritated with the fact that YOU [Dunn] not being here is the #1 reason why we consider not playing. That's bull - we should have a decent enough party to run without any two people most days. We've never had a problem with it before since we KNOW we're at a disadvantage and can plan accordingly. Fortunately its never been a problem before last session because you've [Dunn] always been here.

And me making a Support Cleric is not the answer to a stronger party if you [Dunn] can't make a session.
The answer is something only a blade can provide.

So, yes, we need a cleric.
But we also need someone who can do some/most/all of the combat roles Sigma provides in the event that you miss another session.
In post 714, Firebringer wrote:honestly the more i think about it I REALLY THINK she should have given us a heads up on this that she was planning to develop her character this way so we don't just go "WTF is going on", because it literally happened out of nowhere. I get she was doing her character development but it kind of developed out of thin air, one minute Achan charges into battle recklessly and the next she starts running when things go sour.
You worded this perfectly. If we KNEW we couldn't trust Achan then I'd literally play as if we were one party member down at all times, and there was no way I'd support a 3-man party in what is supposed to be a 7-person campaign. The false pretense of having an extra character hurt us since we didn't know charge-headlong-into-four-berserkers-Achan would go 100% coward.
Last edited by Andrius on Wed May 17, 2017 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #719 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 5:29 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I'll be working on my character soon, so inform me if there's any roles you need filled
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #720 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 5:39 am

Post by FakeGod »

In post 719, Gamma Emerald wrote:I'll be working on my character soon, so inform me if there's any roles you need filled
We are currently too full and cannot accommodate more players!

My apologies.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #721 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 5:40 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I'll still create a character so alert me if any role is needed.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #722 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 5:22 pm

Post by Andrius »

So we briefly talked about doing a RP session on Sunday instead of our normal session since FG will be gone.

When would you all be available to do this, because I'm sure my fellow west-coasters would enjoy not waking up at six if it can be helped.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #723 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

Any time people show up on sunday

Preferably at least 3 hours after the session usually starts
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #724 (ISO) » Wed May 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Post by Postie »

In post 718, Andrius wrote:
In post 714, Firebringer wrote:honestly the more i think about it I REALLY THINK she should have given us a heads up on this that she was planning to develop her character this way so we don't just go "WTF is going on", because it literally happened out of nowhere. I get she was doing her character development but it kind of developed out of thin air, one minute Achan charges into battle recklessly and the next she starts running when things go sour.
You worded this perfectly. If we KNEW we couldn't trust Achan then I'd literally play as if we were one party member down at all times, and there was no way I'd support a 3-man party in what is supposed to be a 7-person campaign. The false pretense of having an extra character hurt us since we didn't know charge-headlong-into-four-berserkers-Achan would go 100% coward.
I did mention to you guys just after the troll fight ended that Achan had grown distant from the rest of the party and valued saving Allea above all else. Achan also specifically said that he wanted to leave at the first sign of trouble. This was a perfectly natural consequence of both of those things. And sure maybe I could have been clearer about the whole thing but I didn't know exactly how things would play out until Achan got into that situation. No one said they had a problem with it when I brought up that that's what Achan would do, so that's what he did. I would have been happy to have him stay and fight if anyone had said they preferred it that way.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.

Return to “The Arcade”