Song Contest 107 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Empire
Empire
Mafia Scum
Empire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Thu May 25, 2017 1:23 pm

Post by Empire »

I love "Leaves Turn Inside You" and you picked probably my favorite song off of it.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Thu May 25, 2017 1:42 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 170, TheWayItEnds wrote:
In post 153, PJ. wrote:wasn't gonna vote but man Manchester orchestra is great
I love Manchester Orchestra. I was real surprised to see that they had been entered before tbh.

Thats one of those bands that literally no one I know has ever heard of.
I don't think that's true. Cope and Simple Math sold a lot of copies.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Dragnalus
Dragnalus
Goon
Dragnalus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Thu May 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Post by Dragnalus »

In post 175, Empire wrote:I love "Leaves Turn Inside You" and you picked probably my favorite song off of it.
Same. I own an unwound shirt I got couple of months back and I think Leaves Turn Inside You is probably my favorite record of all time, and the only one I can definitively rate a 5/5 outside of Hex, Person Pitch, Dots and Loops and Donuts.
I'm driving the car, but I'm not the owner
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Thu May 25, 2017 3:30 pm

Post by Parama »

Albania – I dunno. This is really nice and pleasant. Textured enough to not just be boring. I don’t have much else to say about it but I like it. (DECENT)

Iceland – Honestly this is probably the album I’ve listened to the most in the past year or so. It’s just. So refreshing & interesting. Just friggin’ excellent synergy between guitar, bass, and drums, and they basically just write cool jams in nonstandard keys. The production is great too, that bass sounds legitimately sexy. I don’t think any one particular song on this album is a real standout but this is my favorite by a slim margin.

Libya – I don’t like the constant background noise in this but man that’s some fun guitar work. Both the guitar and the bass. Drums sound programmed as heck though and are pretty bland. But ehh. I do like this, for sure. Mostly for the guitar work and literally nothing else but that *is* the focus of the song, so. (DECENT)

Central African Republic – Never heard of this loser. Ever. I’m gonna have to say that I was never a big fan of his rougher vocal style though and it certainly isn’t winning me over here. This sounds okay enough but honestly doesn’t have anything that really grabs me and feels like it drags on way too long as well. It’s not bad, but. Ehh. (AVERAGE)

Democratic Republic of the Congo – That band image looks so incredibly punchable. I hate it. Musically though this is pretty… there. The singer sounds kind of bad. The music is pretty generic but not bad. Just bland. This is really bland lol. Like that’s all that there is too it it’s just really, really bland. (AVERAGE)

Nepal – Mmm…. this is better than I expected…. but at the same time it has very little appeal for me. It’s just like, mostly percussion and some sing-rap kind of vocal delivery. With occasionally some other instruments thrown in for good measure. Mostly just sounds like a total mess to be honest. (MEDIOCRE)

Ecuador – Wow, con-friggin-gratulations on picking the lowest quality possible video for the song. There are 240p ones, which would’ve still been bad but, 144p? Literally unlistenable. I’m no audiophile but I also do not like having my ears violated lol. I’m going to the HD version to listen just to be fair. And this is… a song, alright. It’s very stereotypical of its genre and I’m not huge on the vocals but I don’t mind it either, so, “ehh”?? (AVERAGE)

Australia – While this would probably be in the “good” tier by itself, I also know that Dream Theater has so, so, SO many better songs and I’m miffed you didn’t pick a better one. I don’t feel like saying anything else because I’ve known this song for like a decade lol (DECENT)

Equatorial Guinea – Very slow start. Too slow start, I got bored. When this picks up though it’s pretty nice at least. Again not like, anything really standing out but it’s alright. She’s a decent singer, instrumentation is okay. But it’s a touch dull. (AVERAGE)
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 9:27 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 178, Parama wrote:Democratic Republic of the Congo – That band image looks so incredibly punchable. I hate it. Musically though this is pretty… there. The singer sounds kind of bad. The music is pretty generic but not bad. Just bland. This is really bland lol. Like that’s all that there is too it it’s just really, really bland.
YOU ARE BLAND!
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Sesq
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 9:30 am

Post by Sesq »

In post 177, Dragnalus wrote:
In post 175, Empire wrote:I love "Leaves Turn Inside You" and you picked probably my favorite song off of it.
Same. I own an unwound shirt I got couple of months back and I think Leaves Turn Inside You is probably my favorite record of all time, and the only one I can definitively rate a 5/5 outside of Hex, Person Pitch, Dots and Loops and Donuts.
where do i buy

im tryna save up for those reissue box sets on vinyl
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 9:38 am

Post by Parama »

In post 179, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 178, Parama wrote:Democratic Republic of the Congo – That band image looks so incredibly punchable. I hate it. Musically though this is pretty… there. The singer sounds kind of bad. The music is pretty generic but not bad. Just bland. This is really bland lol. Like that’s all that there is too it it’s just really, really bland.
YOU ARE BLAND!
Yeah I'm pretty boring but not as boring as that song
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 9:58 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

I'll take boring over puketacious any day
balance among all things
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 11:34 am

Post by PJ. »

oh shit..I would of put Ecuador way higher if you entered the HD version Parama linked, I just assumed it was just lo-fi af and recorded in some Canadian basement in like 1996 or some shit.

Sorry, bro.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Post by Song Contest »

You can always re-vote before deadline! If you want to see your original ballot PM me.

And Ecuador, PM me if you want me to put that HD link up for your song.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Post by PJ. »

Nah, refuse. Enter hi-fi version of your song dummie.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Post by Parama »

Yeah seriously now
Always listen to what you're submitting
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Fri May 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Post by Parama »

Chad – Didn’t really know what I expected but it was definitely something with a bit more personality to it? Like this is fine and all, keeps it dynamic and sounds pretty fine enough though really doesn’t have much unique going on either. I enjoy it but I doubt I’ll remember it. (DECENT)

Italy – Yeah that picture made me expect some kind of rock/metal from this. I have literally the exact same comments on this as the previous song, except it’s not quite as good. But it’s fine enough? Solid but not really memorable. (DECENT)

Russia – Take a guess. I don’t like the production of this either, it’s really annoying and the drums are the only thing with any groove. The sung parts sound okay enough but not really enough to save this for me in the slightest. (BAD)

Benin – The violin gives this a bit of flavor but that’s like. All it has really. Musically it’s otherwise pretty bland and the vocals are okay but eehh. Ehh. (AVERAGE)

Burkina Faso – I thought this had some promise until the vocals came in. She sounds awful. Like truly terrible. Like a stereotypical valley girl accent trying to speak-rap. Maybe it’s supposed to sound bad, but ironically sounding bad is still sounding bad. And musically it’s pretty repetitive really. Just hammers in that one bassline, stuff changes vaguely but. Yeah the vocals totally destroy this, really. (BAD)

Spain – This is really all over the place and kind of interesting by default as a result but I don’ t really know how to feel about it as a whole? Some parts I like, some parts don’t do much for me. (DECENT)

Finland – Well. It sounds nice enough?... I dunno. Feels kind of repetitive though and it feels like it never hits any sort of climax either, just… sits there for a while and then ends. I don’t mind it but it left basically no impression whatsoever. (AVERAGE)

Sudan – I just remember the last song from this artist that was entered in a song contest being one of the absolute worst entries I can remember. I don’t remember what it sounds like though. Well, we’re a minute into this and currently it sounds dire. Okay this is just. A void. A black hole. A nothing song. It does not change in any notable ways for three minutes, and then it ends. The sound it sticks to is not pleasant. It’s not like, as unlistenably bad as the other song I recall from them but it is still, completely lacking in value. (BAD)

while there weren't a ton of awful songs this contest there's nothing notably good at all. geez. tbh unwound will probably end up getting my 12 just for being both decent and interesting
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 9:40 am

Post by DeathNote »

Upper West is a good band. I'm sad they didn't last.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Post by Save The Dragons »

I didn't realize it was a poor quality because I have the album and don't listen to it on YouTube
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Sat May 27, 2017 8:24 pm

Post by Parama »

In post 186, Parama wrote:Yeah seriously now
Always listen to what you're submitting
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Sun May 28, 2017 6:09 am

I mean I will from now on :p

I don't expect to win with the song I chose but it is one of my favorites and I wanted to share a song I really enjoyed with others. I do this to judge the song itself, not whether the person who uploaded it is a dummy. But do as you please.
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Sun May 28, 2017 6:16 am

And thank you parama for sharing the better version
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Sun May 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Post by Parama »

pretty weak contest all things considered. voted, didn't even btoher relistening to any of the average songs so just picked 10 of the 11 decents. rip
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 5:11 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 187, Parama wrote:Sudan – I just remember the last song from this artist that was entered in a song contest being one of the absolute worst entries I can remember. I don’t remember what it sounds like though. Well, we’re a minute into this and currently it sounds dire.
YOU ARE DIRE!
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

Final Ten:

USA - Forget Tomorrow - The Real Thing
Cote d'Ivoire - MYTH & ROID - TRAGEDY:ETERNITY
Benin - Joci Pápai - Origo
Australia - Dream Theater - The Dance of Eternity
Fiji - Michael Calfan ft. Goku - Stereo Sayan 3D
Equatorial Guinea - Phildel - The Wolf
Hungary - Max & Alyson Stoner - Sweater Weather (The Neighbourhood cover)
Finland - Winner - Fool
Democratic Republic of the Congo - Dope - With or Without You
Italy - Ra - Undertaken

I'll do order soon. Maybe today. Maybe tomorrow.
Last edited by KuroiXHF on Mon May 29, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Post by Parama »

who's gonna tell him that's 11
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 3:29 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

Oh wait. I forgot to get rid of that guy. Just a sec.
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
Sesq
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Sesq
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Post by Sesq »

your picks are very interesting
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum