Mol Mafia

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Sun May 28, 2017 1:15 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

I think this was the first setup I posted on this forum:
Mole Mafia

16 Vanilla Townies
2 Moles

Mechanics

Every night and pre-game, the moles answer a list of questions (some of them are kind of personal), such as "How tall are you?" The townies have to answer these questions, rephrased to "How tall is the mole?", the night after. The last question is always "Who is the mole?"

Every townie gets assigned a penalty, based on how far their guesses are from the answers of the moles. If both moles are alive, the penalty is calculated for both of them. The lowest one counts, so correctly answering one half of the questions for one mole and the other half for the other mole results in a higher penalty than giving a correct answer to 60% of the questions for one mole and 0% for another.

The townie with the highest final penalty dies. This death is indistinguishable from the mole's nightkill. Even the dead people don't know how they've been killed until after the game. But here's the kicker: unlike the nightkilled townie, the worst guesser immediately loses. The moles can double kill once. The townie with the highest penalty doesn't die that night, so the kill pattern is the same as every other night to the townies. This should make it harder for the townies to draw information from the nightkills.

If the moles win, all townies lose equally. If town wins, all townies win except for the ones that died as a result of having the highest penalty.
IIRC I was told this wasn't Mafia, but site meta has probably shifted on that.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Sun May 28, 2017 3:53 am

In post 0, Gamma Emerald wrote:their failure will be announced
this would confirm the player as town
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (isolation #2) » Sun May 28, 2017 4:00 am

In post 9, Gamma Emerald wrote:That's an interesting bug/feature: mafia can't eliminate players with good reads.
In practice, people will just break the game by having all players submit the same list with different offsets

so you have to make people who submit shitty lists lose and/or obfuscate the results
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (isolation #3) » Mon May 29, 2017 12:33 pm

Does not prevent circular shifting

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”