Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #2850 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 2:47 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 2741, PJ. wrote:I haven't played Dead of Winter, but I don't really like the concept of everyone having to act traitory to fulfill their side missions. And I believe that in Dead of Winter that there can also be multiple traitors? Also I don't understand there being a traitor in the first place from a thematic perspective. Why would anyone side with the zombies? That's weird. Again, haven't played it, but it just has a lot of question marks.

~~~
Why not just go with Legndary: Marvel instead of Sentinels of the multiverse? Instead of generic superhero-y stuff you get cards with the avengers on them. That has to be cooler, right?
A month late..

I have DoW, and whilst its a fun game I can understand CDB's hatred of it. (amongst others) I think ultimately Battlestar Galactica does the traitor mechanic a lot better. It can't (or shouldn't) have multiple traitors. In terms of reasoning, there is story behind it in the games, the one I remember offhand is that the traitor is tired of eating so little food and is greedy.

Also Legendary is a game that would be close to going on my "will never play" list. Which includes Diplomacy and Hanabi.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #2851 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 2:52 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 2759, PJ. wrote:Right, I was talking to Yaw about this yesterday, there are some cooperative games that simply be "alpha gamer"ed into 1 person controlling all the actions. When we were teaching my sister Pandemic, we played two games, after the second she said after the first game she didn't really like it because she felt like she was the pawn on the table and not a player. The second game, once she got the rules, she was able to contribute and liked the game a lot better, but there 's definitely some personalities where people would be apt to take over the entire game cause they know what's right and everyone else doesn't, ect. He brought up liking games like Hanabi(and the new Hanabi-ish Beyond Baker Street), that are designed to not let that sort of thing happen. I believe there are also Co-Op games with secret action selection that help prevent that sort of thing. So if you aren't into the traitor games, there are still co-ops out there that aren't going to be alpha-gamer'd.
I think this is the reason my group don't do co-op's. One guy feels that one player always dominates and they become no fun. Dead of Winter got through on the basis of the traitor mechanic - we've only played it once in 2 years though. I got BSG through with a mixture of my gaming group and our christmas group and more recently X-Com, where the time limit prevents too much alpha-player gameplay, but the same guy still had issues with it. (and pandemic, once, when said guy wasn't around)
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #2852 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 2:53 am

Post by vonflare »

I like the concept of diplomacy but its hard to get 7 people together who are willing to go through all the simultaneous-action-resolution every turn
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #2853 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 2:56 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 2803, Untrod Tripod wrote:Gloomhaven is real fuckin good
Gloomhaven a legacy game? We (our group) is currently playing Seafall, and whilst I don't see us not completing it, we are on game 5 and getting a bit disillusioned with it.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #2854 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 3:10 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 2852, vonflare wrote:I like the concept of diplomacy but its hard to get 7 people together who are willing to go through all the simultaneous-action-resolution every turn
The game we played (the infamous UK meet Diplomacy game from years back) lasted almost the whole day, and I don't think I could have ever won. I basically slowly lost ground every turn and it made me hate everyone. Lots of discussion over what people were going to do but mostly that meant fuck all. I was in the middle to be fair, which apparently is a sucky position to start (although I'd argue that if there is a "sucky position to start" then it's not the best game) with CES at one side of me, so was going to struggle anyway. I remember feeling trapped in this losing battle where every turn took an age and I just didn't find it remotely exciting or fun. The guy I was talking about earlier who hates co-op really wants to play it, but I've holding out.

Hanabi is on my hate list, because it's a memory game with colours and numbers and it's everything my dyslexia-brain can't handle. It's not a horrible game, it's just one I can't do.

Legendary I maybe should give another chance, but I do find it one of the most boring games I've played.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2855 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 3:17 am

Post by Vi »

Legendary is a game that seems dominated by better games on every metric.

WRT co-op games, when I run Sentinels I try to avoid talking to people about "but maybe you should do this" unless we're really, totally screwed unless the player knows to do ___. Maybe I shouldn't even do that, but losing because "oh! I didn't know I had that card" or "oh! I didn't read the card correctly" seems as bad or worse than me saying "check out ____" as they search their deck for the card of their choice. Either way, the small suboptimal moves usually don't matter in the end, and if they do, that's how people learn.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #2856 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 11:10 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 2854, Porochaz wrote:I was in the middle to be fair, which apparently is a sucky position to start (although I'd argue that if there is a "sucky position to start" then it's not the best game)
Wasn't the wording I used :P

The middle has the advantage that you can play multiple sides of the board, meaning you can deal with more people, have more fingers in pies. It's a sucky position for a newbie to find themselves in, because you kind of have to know what you want, deal with what's going on elsewhere on the board. Put a newbie in France, and he'll have a decently easy start and then can kind of grow into the game, sorta similar for England.

I think you were Austria, which is about as unkind to newbies as it'll get. Either the first 2 years you sort of manage to get the 3 wolves off you, and you are set for a pretty good game (as in, it's not too tricky then to become a contender for victory), or you are in the dumps straight away.

In retrospect we shouldn't have randomized, I think the game would've been less infamous :(
Last edited by mykonian on Tue May 30, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2857 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Post by hiplop »

yea the sucky position to start thing is just being nice for you not playing well >___>
third best scummer of all time
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2858 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 7:11 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 2853, Porochaz wrote:
In post 2803, Untrod Tripod wrote:Gloomhaven is real fuckin good
Gloomhaven a legacy game? We (our group) is currently playing Seafall, and whilst I don't see us not completing it, we are on game 5 and getting a bit disillusioned with it.

Yeah, Gloomhaven is legacy, campaign dungeon crawl. I think Seafall is just a bad game, I've only heard bad things and that's the first legacy game that guy made that wasn't made about an existing game.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #2859 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Post by Porochaz »

Seafall has it's problems, but I have enjoyed most of it. The guy who has the massive lead, has done so through some mechanics that gave him loads of points extremely quickly. (the second game we needed 12 points to win, he got 8 in one turn, making him the runaway winner, the 4th game, we all did the same things and through sheer luck he kept getting 4 points for his action, we got coins/goods, again making him the runaway winner).

I have been second in the standings up until now (except the first game which I won) this means I don't get any benefits for winning, but I do get almost all the drawbacks for being high up the leaderboard. I've started feeling it slightly but I'll feel it more in games to come.

The last game I screwed something up, and whilst I could still get 3rd, there was not a chance I could win. So I tanked the game, so that in the overall rankings I would be 3rd (maybe 4th, I didn't have time to do the maths) and get some of the benefits the other players get. I don't like the mechanic where deliberately coming last in some games actually benefits you.

However, if I wasn't enjoying it, I wouldn't have gone to game 6. The theme and flavour are excellent, and the mechanics beyond those mentioned above are usually pretty good. Im playing with my group and we enjoyed playing Risk Legacy immensely, the banter that comes with the group usually makes it fun. (unless you are a salty fucker like I was last game) I absolutely don't think it's a bad game, I think there is a lot to it, and that there are balance issues with it. But I knew there were problems going in. I went into it knowing I would be an explorer rather than a raider or trader. Get more of the story rather than screw other players (which suits my playstyle - although I did steal the victory in the first game) and not worry too much about winning. The twists and turns of the story and being able to personalise and name pretty much everything keeps it somewhat interesting. Rob Daviau said himself that he should have condensed it further than he did, and it does seem like his ambition and imagination got the best of him and he added too much, but I definitely wouldn't call it a bad game, but I've only opened half the boxes thus far.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2860 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 4:27 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 2840, PJ. wrote:Apparently my recs from Quantico have changed to a top 5 of cyclades, Marco polo, viticulture, blood rage and 5 tribes. I think I want all those games.
Kemet > Cyclades. They're basically the same game though.

Five Tribe is continuing to creep higher and higher on my list of faves every time I play it.
green shirt thursdays
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2861 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 4:35 am

Post by Vi »

In post 2860, xRECKONERx wrote:Five Tribe is continuing to creep higher and higher on my list of faves every time I play it.
This is a good opinion. I like how it combines so many strategic elements with having the absolute wackiest game mechanic.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2862 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 4:51 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

For real. There's something so damn satisfying about picking up the pieces and dropping them, Mancala-style. And the way you can both pull off a killer move AND fuck over your opponents by dropping pieces in their way is just joyous.

I haven't checked out the expansions yet but I can only imagine improving upon a great formula.
green shirt thursdays
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2863 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 7:03 am

Post by hasdgfas »

I played Burgle Bros yesterday. I had a ton of fun. Would play again.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2864 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 1:33 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2863, hasdgfas wrote:I played Burgle Bros yesterday. I had a ton of fun. Would play again.

Looooove Burgle Bros.

Fun fact, theres a help line in the instruction manual, it's Tim Fowler's personal phone number.
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2865 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 1:45 pm

Post by Chevre »

I played my copy of Mysterium for the first time this weekend! Lots of fun.

Also played Machi Koro. Really goes from slow to fast as quintessentially as possible. Don't know if I like it though.

Real new standout for me was Valley of the Kings. Neat little deckbuilder with the pyramid setup and the tomb mechanic. I bombed the first game but I feel like I learned a lot and was able to do really well in the second.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2866 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 2865, Chevre wrote:Also played Machi Koro. Really goes from slow to fast as quintessentially as possible. Don't know if I like it though.
as an inverse to Five Tribes.....the more times I play Machi Koro, the more I fucking LOATHE this game
green shirt thursdays
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2867 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Post by implosion »

Machi Koro just seems bad. I played it once and it was so unexciting and just blah on every level. No deep strategy, no real interesting decisions, the boring kind of luck that you have no control over, and just nothing exciting about it.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2868 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

no it's just terrible luck and dumb bullshit and apprehension and ugh
green shirt thursdays
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2869 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by PJ. »

I like Machi koro =[
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2870 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 8:50 pm

Post by chamber »

I've played five tribes once and it seems like it would be the worst candidate ever for analysis paralysis. How do you fight against that?
Taking a break from the site.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2871 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Post by PJ. »

BRUH I FUCKING PLAYED CAPTAIN SONOR TODAY>>>>IT WAS FUCKING TENSEEEEEEEEE. I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A HARD JOB AND I WAS SWEATING MY NUTS OFF.

WE ALSO PLAYED LETTERS OVER WHITECHAPEL, AND IT WAS A TENSE AF BOARD GAME NIGHT.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2872 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 2:30 am

Post by Vi »

In post 2870, chamber wrote:I've played five tribes once and it seems like it would be the worst candidate ever for analysis paralysis. How do you fight against that?
Are you going first?
If so, do the awesome thing.
Otherwise, look for a good move but don't expect it to be there when your turn comes around. So get good at finding more awesome things.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2873 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 2:42 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

i wanna play cpt sonar so bad T_T

re: Five Tribes
there really isn't analysis paralysis... you want to take the move that's awesome and good for you before someone else does. if you can't do that, then make sure nobody else can do anything cool and exciting.

it looks overwhelming due to the amount of pieces but when you are actually in the moment there are only a handful of moves to consider at a time
green shirt thursdays
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #2874 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 2:47 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 2867, implosion wrote:Machi Koro just seems bad. I played it once and it was so unexciting and just blah on every level. No deep strategy, no real interesting decisions, the boring kind of luck that you have no control over, and just nothing exciting about it.
accurate, it's okay if you want to familiarize someone with drafting and/or economy building but there are better options that are just as simple

Return to “The Arcade”