Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2875 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 2:57 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

remember that time you made me play machi koro like 3 times in one evening bc you and gamma were convinced it was fun, UT

do you remember
green shirt thursdays
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #2876 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 4:01 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

it's not my fault that you can't enjoy things that aren't necessarily great games
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #2877 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 4:53 am

Post by vonflare »

The AQW card game is weird, both in a good way and a bad way. Like, I can see what they're trying to do but the nature of the game makes it play completely differently from the intended way. There are a few cards that are so powerful you basically try to cycle the deck collecting these cards, while also playing around them, and then using a combination of the OP cards as a win condition.

It actually makes the game more interesting than it otherwise would be, as it would probably be a game of attrition, and instead its about collecting a win condition, like getting a Dracolich and then a bunch of counters to protect it, so you're basically invulnerable, or getting Doomknight and Rare Hunter to basically add the entire discard pile to your hand, or getting Paladin and the Tele-Whoops to give your opponent the Paladin, and then using Paladin Slayer to basically OTK them. Or Wizard + a bunch of spells, I guess.

But there's so many ways to screw with your opponent's win condition (like From Behind, Chaos, and Grasping Roots) that you're never really secure and you always have to be careful what you commit to the board. It allows complex and meaningful decisions in a game which seems simple at first glance.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2878 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2871, PJ. wrote:BRUH I FUCKING PLAYED CAPTAIN SONOR TODAY>>>>IT WAS FUCKING TENSEEEEEEEEE. I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A HARD JOB AND I WAS SWEATING MY NUTS OFF.

WE ALSO PLAYED LETTERS OVER WHITECHAPEL, AND IT WAS A TENSE AF BOARD GAME NIGHT.

I PLAYED IT FOR THE FIRST TIME MONDAY AND HOLY SHIIIIIIIT!!

WE ONLY PLAYED WITH 6 PEOPLE SO IT WAS SUPER INTENSE!

Being the engineer was hard work.
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2879 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 9:31 pm

Post by PJ. »

Yo, we played once with 6. And having to do 2 jobs was TENSE. but we called it because the enemy captain was cheating on accident. We then went to 8 and my job as first mate was far more boring, especially cause captain wasn't doing enough
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2880 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:01 am

Post by PJ. »

On machi koro, I like playing it with my family and when it's time for just a chill game. Tokaido is kinda in that same area but a better game.

Oh has anyone played Above and Below?
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2881 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:45 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2880, PJ. wrote:Oh has anyone played Above and Below?
Yes, although it's been a while. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Even just the little bit of storytelling that's there is really nice for immersion. Our first encounter was referenced throughout the rest of the game because it was such a fantastic way to start.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2882 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:52 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2880, PJ. wrote:On machi koro, I like playing it with my family and when it's time for just a chill game. Tokaido is kinda in that same area but a better game.

Oh has anyone played Above and Below?

Yea. I like it for every once in a while. I own it, and hardly ever bring it out. There's no conflict, and all the fun is in the exploring/storytelling component. It's a fun game. But I feel like once you really build up a good enough engine of explorers, the game is over.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2883 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:54 am

Post by Chickadee »

And about Machi Koro. I don't like the base game, but bright lights big cities is great. My gaming group really enjoys it. I'm starting to lose interest because of a particular person who always ends up jumping in. But in Bright Lights, the set up of cards and how you pick them is different, which makes for a bit more strategy I believe. And I've really seen the game take many turns in a single play though. I highly recommend playing it over the base game.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2884 (ISO) » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I don't know what I've gotten myself into, but I got roped into being on not one, not two, but three panels for a con in November. I'm flattered, but I hardly consider myself an expert gamer. Apparently others think highly of me though. Wow!

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2885 (ISO) » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Post by PJ. »

I'm not sure it deserves best game ever hyoe, but I have had a pretty good time with pandemic legacy. We just got to May. Haven't read the set up yet. We have 0 funding tho. =(
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2886 (ISO) » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Post by implosion »

THEY ANNOUNCED SEASON TWO TODAY.

i'm actually quite hyped.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2887 (ISO) » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:12 pm

Post by Faraday »

Same.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2888 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:49 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

In post 2886, implosion wrote:THEY ANNOUNCED SEASON TWO TODAY.

i'm actually quite hyped.
I will go from zero hype to OFF THE CHARTS as soon as it has an actual release date instead of 'this fall' because I'm expecting that to be a dirty lie and for it to really come out around December/early next year

Played a scenario of gloomhaven with my arkham horror lcg group when someone couldn't make it and I still think it's great and both of the people who basically killed themselves by running out of cards right at the end liked it while the player who had a slower-burning character was disappointed by it even though we managed to finish off the last couple enemies on our own.

It is a little odd having the 'game' of it really just being hand management for the most part rather than 'make sure to not die by running out of hp' but it's still my jam personally

Also I'm probably trying burgle bros for the first time tomorrow, I've got high hopes
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2889 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I'm a long time lover of Burgle Bros. I finally bought it for myself tonight instead of relying on other people to have a copy. I also bought Control. I had never heard of it, but a friend who's collection is in the thousands said it was really good, and I really enjoyed it. So, I'd highly recommend it. The entire game is basically a power struggle for you to win and to keep your opponent down. It's interesting.

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2890 (ISO) » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Post by PJ. »

Bought Unfair and Mission Red Planet.

Haven't played red planet yet but Unfair was pretty fun, but I could see it. being too mean for some people. I personally like take that so take that (ha) for what it's worth.

Monday gonna be the 3rd and POSSIBLY IF WE WIN 5 IN A ROW last seating of Pandemic Legacy. I'm excited. It's been exciting.

Oh idk if I told y'all but I played Arkham Horror LCG and Anachrony recently. Anachrony was worker placement on steroids. I loved it. I think that's gonna be my type of game. Big long complicated worker placement.

Arkham was...eh. its fine. I'm not particularly interested in the theme and there's just so much of it that you just can't get away from it. Played the whole base game campaign and walked away feeling completely meh about it. I like it best with 2.

Oh, I played Blokus on 4th of July and it was fucking great.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2891 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:22 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Burgle Bros. was good but we were a little greedy despite the first two floors being a little easy and the first turn someone went in the top floor they triggered two alarm tiles on their last two moves and got stomped on

I do think that the dunwich campaign for arkham lcg is better than just the core set campaign but it's also a fuckton more expensive to get all the packs with it and a big time commitment aaand some of the packs are a pain in the ass to find anyway. It and Pandemic Legacy are the only things I've ever played that bring you to a point of "you're 80-95% completely fucked, do you want to try to pull a win out of your ass, or run the hell away and do your best to leave your future games/scenarios in a better position?" and my god I love that mechanic for actually letting you get invested in your characters/game/etc like that
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2892 (ISO) » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:04 am

Post by PJ. »

We are in December. It is exciting
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2893 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:01 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2891, Gammagooey wrote:I do think that the dunwich campaign for arkham lcg is better than just the core set campaign but it's also a fuckton more expensive to get all the packs with it and a big time commitment aaand some of the packs are a pain in the ass to find anyway. It and Pandemic Legacy are the only things I've ever played that bring you to a point of "you're 80-95% completely fucked, do you want to try to pull a win out of your ass, or run the hell away and do your best to leave your future games/scenarios in a better position?" and my god I love that mechanic for actually letting you get invested in your characters/game/etc like that
I love Arkham LCG so much. One of my group is in Europe for most of this month, so the rest of us are doing "Operation: Umurderhoth", trying to finish the Core campaign by murdering the final boss instead of one of the other resolutions. The Dunwich campaign is great, though it seems like the difficulty isn't perfectly tuned. It has some fantastic flavor and mechanics though. What a great game.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2894 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Post by PJ. »

Guys, I finished pandemic legacy
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #2895 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Post by Cabd »

In post 2894, PJ. wrote:Guys, I finished pandemic legacy
Just in time for season two! It comes out soon.

I think they're previewing it at gencon.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2896 (ISO) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Post by PJ. »

Yeah, I need to replace half the group. It's shitty cause I liked 3/4th of our group a lot but the of the good 4ths is movie to Maryland next month. And the bad 4th is not invited,
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2897 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:27 am

Post by Gammagooey »

In post 2893, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 2891, Gammagooey wrote:I do think that the dunwich campaign for arkham lcg is better than just the core set campaign but it's also a fuckton more expensive to get all the packs with it and a big time commitment aaand some of the packs are a pain in the ass to find anyway. It and Pandemic Legacy are the only things I've ever played that bring you to a point of "you're 80-95% completely fucked, do you want to try to pull a win out of your ass, or run the hell away and do your best to leave your future games/scenarios in a better position?" and my god I love that mechanic for actually letting you get invested in your characters/game/etc like that
I love Arkham LCG so much. One of my group is in Europe for most of this month, so the rest of us are doing "Operation: Umurderhoth", trying to finish the Core campaign by murdering the final boss instead of one of the other resolutions. The Dunwich campaign is great, though it seems like the difficulty isn't perfectly tuned. It has some fantastic flavor and mechanics though. What a great game.
I actually tried to solo the core set through this week with Agnes - did really well up to the final scenario (got the 4th cultist in masks with my final action) but then wound up having to discard one grotesque statue, having three straight actions of rite of seeking fail, and losing the chance to use blood pact+arcane initiate before the first agenda turned over because an Ancient Evils mythos card came up :(

Have still never got the 'ritual stopped' resolution from the core set, my sister and I made some really lucky chaos bag pulls with roland and a machete on our first playthrough and managed to win with a dynamite blast followed by passing something like 5-6 straight attacks on him where anything worse than a -1 would have screwed us, still haven't quite topped that I don't think. My sister and I started a dunwich playthrough and have done really well on the first two scenarios, and UT and finished the 3rd (museum) last time I was in Greensboro where we're doing...not terribly but definitely not great either.

I'm really looking forward to Blood on the Altar, but I hear Undimensioned and Unseen is a lot of people's least favorite scenario of dunwich so I might hold off on playing that until I can get all the rest of the dunwich packs so I can blitz through the last 3 scenarios in a weekend or something like that.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2898 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2897, Gammagooey wrote:I'm really looking forward to Blood on the Altar, but I hear Undimensioned and Unseen is a lot of people's least favorite scenario of dunwich so I might hold off on playing that until I can get all the rest of the dunwich packs so I can blitz through the last 3 scenarios in a weekend or something like that.
I quite liked Undimensioned and Unseen. It's just a bit...straightforward? It's not flashy and exciting, but I had fun with it. One really easy to screw up rule that affects that scenario is that enemies do briefly exhaust to attack before all enemies ready at the end of the enemy phase. So keep that in mind.

But Blood on the Altar is excellent, and Where Doom Awaits is very unique and I enjoyed it a lot. I can't wait to be able to finish off the campaign when our 4th gets back from Europe.
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2899 (ISO) » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:04 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I had an amazing opportunity tonight and got to play Coup with an entire group of people unfamiliar to playing social deduction games with me. It was great. We played twice, and I won both times. The first time I had 2 cards left. The second time I had two until the only other person coup'd me, then I assassinated him. I had two assassins. I literally spent the entirety of both games talking everyone else at the table into killing each other and leaving me alone. It was wonderful. And this is why my usual board game friends kill me quickly in games.

It was great while it lasted though.

Return to “The Arcade”