new fire emblem fuck yeah.

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #41 (isolation #0) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:46 am

Post by Andrius »

I dont know bout Backpack Emblem but I live No HP Growth Emblem.

I like skills. I like Heart Seals, as Second Seals were too broken. Ninjas are fast but no ninja has a decent enough strength growth to actually be useful. I feel like there are fewer actually good classes, even if Snipers are back to their RD-era level of absolute amazingness.

I mean, I like every game in the series for what it is but I definitely have favorites (4, 9/10, 13). Id like the difficulty of Conquest but I have no story/flavor reason to take that route. There is no reason for me to play Conquest other than difficulty. Also they kill Scarlet in Conquest which is unacceptable.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #42 (isolation #1) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:49 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 38, Fluminator wrote:It's always exciting learning someone else has played through Thracia 776. (Andrius mentioned playing it)
I'm starting my first playthrough of Path of Radiance soon. The game boy games and SNES games are some of the defining games in my childhood. But for some reason I never played PoR or RD until now. I might try the 3DS ones.
I, uh, started but never finished Thracia 776. Also hi Flum! <3

Genealogy of the Holy War might be my favorite FE. Children without time travel or crappy outrealms bull from Fates. Characters die. The castles are cool. Story is great. They dont have supports but there are conversations and Lovers and even SIBLING crits.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #47 (isolation #2) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:21 am

Post by Andrius »

I never use Saizo. Mainly because his child is Gaius and I dislike the redone child characters. Kaze has no strength and my Kagero always turns out bad. Always. Luckily she makes a good wife for Ryoma becausr I have no idea what to do with him. shrug Enemy Ninjas are indeed the worst.

I actually dislike Odin. The only time I liked him was his S Support with Nah because shes like treat me like a woman not like a child. I have a hard time finding male characters I like in the recent games. :/

At least Laslow has Peri for best support of heartwarming.

FE 4 can be super slow. I liked it for the first generation; the second generation had the terrible desert map which was almost unbearable though Shanan was amazing. I got to the last chapter but never finished it.

Freaking Lex can't father a son who uses axes game whyyyyy I mean Shaskar is good son but not axeworthy. And, I mean, Lachke is best.

FE 8 was good but unmemorable.

Radiant Dawn had some great music (The Devoted, Ascension or whatever the tower battle theme was)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #48 (isolation #3) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:23 am

Post by Andrius »

Dont Speak Her Name is best song.
Divine Decree is great.

I love Justice RIP and Past Below. Past Below so great.
Conquest got better music over Birthright, but I still cant stomach that storyline and the fact that I have to use units I dont care about. And, again, killing Scarlet would break my poor heart.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #49 (isolation #4) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:26 am

Post by Andrius »

I know weve been over this before Vi years ago but if I dont like a character they wont be used. So Odin gets benched. Bastian is mediocre but he's always in my final team because BASTIAN. And blessing the long-range tomes in the tower makes dragons a cakewalk.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #50 (isolation #5) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:27 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 2, Spiffeh wrote:FE is still my favorite game series though so everyone should play it.
Spiffeh I think we might be able to be friends after all!
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #52 (isolation #6) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:29 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 16, Spiffeh wrote:Like I don't think I've played an FE where I don't care about the character this much since Shadow Dragon
Yeah the characters are huge for me and FE11 was terrible in this regards; also why I will bever play Conquest.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #55 (isolation #7) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:37 am

Post by Andrius »

I, uh, never cared for Gaius or Tharja to begin with. Cordelia is just meh for me. Was the default wife for Lonqu until I was converted to Lissa/Lonqu.

I just cant handle the lobster. Hes too good he doesnt need a wife hes just the broken prepromote of Birthright. And weapons dont break so that cant balance him out like Balming did for Shanan.

Yeah but MDefense is so rare amd half the level is dark or thunder mages. Not even Aless can make up for that headache.

Of all the things relates to FE you want to fite me over JUSTICE RIP? WHAT

My days of heavy drinking are behind me sorry Conquest I know you have Flora but I have Revalations so you are irrelevant.

Yeah, Ive heard she is strong as an enemy.

Oh also Yuri Lowenthal best voice for Corrin makes me happy hes in both this and XCX.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #56 (isolation #8) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:38 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 54, Vi wrote:
Pirates of the
Tibarn's theme.
On this, we agree.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #59 (isolation #9) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:57 am

Post by Andrius »

IIRC he's Voice 2.

I mean, I won't fight the dull/tedious/etc stuff because that's basically FE: Fates in a nutshell for me since the plot is weak and it feels like its here for the characters and/or dating sim/parenting sim etc.
Don't get me wrong, I love Morgan and Brady. But I feel like the series has shifted visibly and I'm definitely part of the old guard who just scratches their heads.
Heck I didn't even want to buy Fates because of the changes etc but I caved in for a 14hour airplane flight.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #60 (isolation #10) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:58 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 58, Vi wrote:*FE4: the themes to Ch.s 2, 3, and 10
No Doors of Destiny? (5 in case you can't recall)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #69 (isolation #11) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:08 am

Post by Andrius »

Vi wrote:Fates OST > Awakening OST stance.
I think we've agreed on something once in this thread. haha
Still doesn't deter me from wanting to run a Geneaology of the Holy War game with the Holy Blood mechanics you gave me as Alvis that one game.
Also using the original Engrish names because Alvis > Arvis.
Also hearing the original Id ~ Purpose reminds me of just how awful the Smash arrange was.
Agreed.

excoos me there is a strong lack of Lucina in this sentence
I mean, I always played as Male Avatar so Brady/Morgan are best children. Yes, I marry Maribelle.
Lucina is a decent enough character, though it seems her entire character is limited by the LAST OF MY LINE SAVE THE WORLD so we never see her do something outside of that. Which, I guess, maybe fuels some of her relationship options but w/e.
tbeh I didn't get most of the children in Awakening - partly because grinding and partly because I felt like it cheapened the first generation - and it's my understanding that I didn't miss much.
Yeah, I really only love a small amount of the families.

I liked the Awakening kids better than Fates.
The only children I get regularly are Kana and Kiragi. Sophie is super hit-and-miss because her father is and all the mothers I pick for her turn out to be terrible.
Its pretty hard to mess up Shiro b/c dad is LOBSTER.

In post 64, Ankamius wrote:As someone who has never played a Fire Emblem game, what is the best way to get started in 'getting into' it?
Don't start with Awakening. Its a good game but you should start older. Focus on the gameplay, not the dating sim elements that may or may not turn you off.
FE 7 (Blazing Sword) and FE 9 (Path of Radiance) are where I'd tell someone new to start.
Fates may turn you off with the dating/marriage/parenting sim crap.
Awakening is better than Fates b/c it has a better story and doesn't rely on dating/marriage/sim.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #70 (isolation #12) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:16 am

Post by Andrius »

I pretend 9 and 10 are the same game and they're collectively probably #2 on my list because 10's lack of supports is terrible and wrong but together they tell a full story which is amazing.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #72 (isolation #13) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:29 pm

Post by Andrius »

I mean I think having a waifu wars is terrible but Im happy to discuss. The former is also dependent on strong opinions and/or feelings.

I can do alot worse because theres no one better!
I dont care about growths or crap; I like Maribelle and Morgan and Brady are the best kids.

Uhhh thats not what I meant. Avatar/Scarlet and Takumi/Oboro. Always male avatar. Something about the Kana/Kiragi is adorable.

Yeah I use Silas but he generally turns out terrible. Idk how. Every time bar one; maybe Hinoka as his wife carried him to victory? Idk

I could care less about Camilla and the Malig Knight class is p. bad. I gave in for a plane flight.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #74 (isolation #14) » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:48 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 73, Vi wrote:Malig Knight is awesome >:-[ Awesome name, cool set of weapons, cool Skills, and... uh... two people can use it well, max.

Silas gets a lot better when someone explains his personal skill. +3/+3 in the early game on a horsie for the low price of dunking Corrin to half HP is way too good as long as you remember to forget to heal them.

Also I wasn't referring to growths when I said you could do worse than Maribelle; I was thinking of people like Vaike, Tharja, and Noire.
I think the problem is utility - I'm not sure who the two people are who can use the class (Avatar excluded) and I read somewhere Camilla isn't one of them so. (I imagine Ophelia might be decent depending on her mother but that is sheer conjecture.)

Silas' problem was lategame for me - his lack of speed didn't matter early when he could do tons of damage - lategame he couldn't double. Even marrying him to Nyx didn't solve that problem for Sophie as Speed is the only benefit Sophie gets from Nyx as Magic doesn't really help her.

Early game isn't really a problem for me - I would have to play the game again but the only problem I really encountered on Birthright Hard mode was magic users as my Weakness is Magic and both Scarlet and Avatar have poor MDef. Marrying Felicia mitigated that problem in my first playthrough.

Ok fair enough - idk she was the first wife and best wife and Brady is best son and best sibling.

If you want a waifu war you're going to have to egg me on more. haha
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #76 (isolation #15) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:45 am

Post by Andrius »

I used neither of them in Rev. By the time they arrived I had Sakura and Felicia for staffbot duty and that was sufficient. Im sure I would if I played Conquest, out of necessity, but thats the reason I don't.

Ophelia was just a thought. I basically got her to see her level and was like welcome to the bench.

Silas and Kagerou were almost always terrible later on. Even their Sophie was bad. Meanwhile Ive never had a bad Kiragi. Optimism for the win?

Yeah Andrius in Awakening had the lowest MDef since FE4 where you could literally have zero MDef. Luckily Maribelle saved our children. I found Fates/Andrius to be better at MDef.

What do you think of the Spear Master/Basara classes? Because I love them and I reclass almost everyone into them at some point. Rend Heaven is amazing and I had a fling with Quixotic until I realized Hoshidan Prince was as good as it without the enemy buff.

Oh and the attack animations are top. Sometimes over the top, yes, but so satisfying to watch.

Butlers are also great too. Dancing butler attacks are great.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #78 (isolation #16) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:38 am

Post by Andrius »

Magic is a personal hit or miss for me.
I didn't like the Hoshidan version of magic so I didn't have a single magic user. Which made certain levels very difficult but at least the FLAME DAGGER CANNOT BREAK.
Leo died super early in my Rev playthrough so magic never happened for me.

Oboro definitely has her bad days but she's been great more often than not. Especially when Silas/Kagerou/Kaze are underwhelming most of the time. Hinoka is another hard one to screw up but I always reclass her to Spear Master to get a bit of a boost to her strength growth because Peg Knight doesn't cut it.

Quixotic/Hoshidan Unity is what I ran for awhile but Quixotic was getting me killed by random Berserkers - focusing on Speed is mitigated by Quixotic buffing enemies so I said farewell to Quixotic.

I run a Skill Boon on Corrin and Robin. Armsthrift is so good in the first game Skill helps Sol and Luna. It helps tremendously since you can push Skill over 40 easily with certain classes and SkillBoon + Hoshidan Unity + Quixotic made for an interesting LETHALITY build which was fun. As a butler. Which is doubly fun.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #79 (isolation #17) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:43 am

Post by Andrius »

For the record I would probably watch a Thracia 776 lets play if you made it Flum.
And/or heckle you while you play it if that's an option.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #92 (isolation #18) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:38 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 81, Errantparabola wrote:If i do get a game, which one should i get?
Just speaking hypothetically. No plans as of right now
I have a gamecube and a ds of the non 3d variety!
I played Awakening and Fates on the non-3DS (2DS?)

I'd consider mailing you my copy of the Gamecube game.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #94 (isolation #19) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 90, Vi wrote:The solution to everyone's problems is for people to come visit me. To spend 30 hours playing video games.

I guess me doing the visiting works about as well.

(Radiant Dawn was going for $120 fwiw, like come on now why did you go to such effort to make these games and then not sell them)
I can totally see this meet going down:

EP: Which Fire Emblem do I start with?
Vi: Awakening. Or PoR.
Andy: 7 or 9.
Flum: Thracia 776
Vi: Actually I'd love to see 776 because of the capture mechanic.
EP: Uhhh shit guys Oscar just died what do I do?
Vi: Restart. No wait, is Titania still alive?
EP: Yes.
Vi: Use her.
Andy: Wait for Crimean Royal Knight Fifth Platoon Captain Kieran to save your bacon.
Marcia: bacon and muffins and waffles
Flum: Play Thracia 776. We have capture mechanics and Staves can miss!
Ankamius: So about Fates...
RC: Awakening is better.
Vi: Actually--
Andy: FE 4 was the best generations game. New kids are terrible. Except Morgan and Brady.
Vi: Your waifu is trash.
RC: Music in Fates was good at least.
Vi: Agreed.
EP: So Soren just died.
Andy: Its ok you'll get Bastian later.
Vi: SOREN IS SUPERIOR TO BASTIAN.
Ankamius: *enters Chapter 10 of Awakening*
Vi/Andy/RC: MOMENT OF SILENCE FOR THE BEST MUSIC.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #96 (isolation #20) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:53 pm

Post by Andrius »

The only game I'd want to play is FE4.
I am more than willing to help/heckle someone playing another game though.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #98 (isolation #21) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:09 pm

Post by Andrius »

I think the first thing I remember liking about the game was the fact that we actually started the game with something other than SWORD USERS.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #103 (isolation #22) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:50 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 102, Vi wrote:Come at me, baker.
The original literally said "come at me" so I modified it slightly.
Will get to this soon.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #104 (isolation #23) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Post by Andrius »

I've played through Revalations once so bear with me and I have no idea what most of the Conquest-ers are like since by the time they arrived they were terrible/underlevelled/etc.
And my original stance on Conquest stands.

God-tier REINA?
What?
I mean she was better-than-decent in Birthright but GOD-TIER?

I benched Camilla so I have no commentary.
Jakob is one of my healbots.

[Azura, Ryoma, Corrin] makes complete sense.

Fuga I never used because he shows up late and I never bothered to upgrade the Hot Springs until the end since it serves no utility. Xander has a terrible time with SPEED but yeah he's great. Takumi is awesome. Shura is as well.
I guess they're viable?
Leo
Silas
Hinoka
Felicia
Elise
Leo died, like, the level I got him in. So nothing for you here.
Silas always has issues with SPEED and is thus generally underwhelming for me.
Hinoka always good so long as I change her into Spear Fighter for some strength.
Felicia is a healbot when she's not my wife.
Elise I never use because I have enough Hoshidan healbots.

Never used Hayato b/c magic.
Rinkah I want to use but turns out badly.
Gunter WHAT. Never use because spoilers zzz.
Subaki, I find, desperately needs strength. Made a good Lodelord or whatever class that's called though.

BIRTHRIGHT later since I actually know it p. well.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #106 (isolation #24) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:50 pm

Post by Andrius »

Spoiler: Birthright
Ryoma is actually too good.
Like, Xander is strong. Ryoma is too good.
Corrin is amazing, though I've only ever used +Skill -Res Corrin. So skill activations are amazing.
Azura reclassed? Yeah, she's probably that good. Well, maybe a tier lower because she is hurt by the No HP Growth Emblem thing like no other.
Upper High Tier:
Hinoka
Jakob (with Heart Seal)
Silas
Saizo
Scarlet
Well yeah, if we sit here with Heart Seals a ton of people become better.
Hinoka is great. Spear Master Hinoka is amazing.
Jakob is a staffbot since I'm always Male Corrin. But yeah, I can see reclassing him (which I don't do) suiting his strengths.
Silas is like a lesser Xander for me. Terrible speed.
Saizo is tricky. He's strong. But I keep using Kaze because there are
consequences
if you don't in Birthright. I keep going back to Kaze even though he sucks.
Oh,
Scarlet
. She's great. Ever since I discovered the joys of Spear Masters I reclass both her and Andrius until Spear Masters because they're amazing, have high skill caps (read: Corrin has +Skill) so they are amazing. If you use the DLC stuff, the 'Awakening' skill from Lodestar adds Crit to her, which she already loves because of
in Extremis
. Oh Scarlet. <3
Lower High Tier:
Takumi
Rinkah
Kaze
Reina
Azama (with Heart Seal)
Kagero
Asugi
Kiragi
Mitama
Rhajat
Am I just not patient enough with these people? I use Azama to get Mitama and then bench him. I know he's got a great personal skill but don't enjoy his supports.
Rinkah is another one where I've got her high-levelled in her base class but then been like 'what am I waiting for here'.

Takumi/Kiragi are amazing.
Mitama is good and that's not even counting healbot.

Overall I feel like Hoshido is NO HP/STR GROWTH EMBLEM and Conquest is NO SPD GROWTH EMBLEM. (Except Nyx but she has abysmal skill.)
Again, Reina shows up higher than I expected her to. Kinshi Knight so strong.

All my archers go through Kinshi Knight to get Air Superiority and the other thing. Azura as well. Supports go through here for Amaterasu.
Its a solid class and makes the Peg Knight one look bad.
Upper Mid Tier:
Shiro
Oboro
Caeldori
Shigure
Yukimura
Hisame
Hana
Sophie
Kana
I almost want to fite u over Oboro.
Oboro is great. And has strength.
How the crap does KAZE and RINKAH who are terrible get a tier on OBORO?
She can even make Takumi look terrible at times. (Note: Oboro as Kiragi's mother makes that trademark face in their C Supports together when he's trying to skip studying. I highly recommend it. That's some great stuff. No other mother compares because of her unique face in that one scene.)

Setsuna is more hit/miss than I think you give her credit for. Yeah, she's worse than Takumi. But she has some great growths. Insert trap pun here.

Sakura is a healbot until Mitama shows up or unless you really like Sakura.

Spoiler: Andrius' People That Matter Birthright Tier
WOW
Ryoma

OTP (aka wow)
Corrin
Scarlet

GREAT
Azura
Takumi
Oboro
Kiragi
Hinoka

GOOD
Felicia
Subaki
Kana
Silas
Shiro

pedit: Hello my name is Andrius and my word of the day is 'amazing'.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #107 (isolation #25) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:52 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 105, Vi wrote:Like Hinoka isn't ever good; she just flies and can be mediocre chip damage.
I've found that her problem is flying.
I give her a spear and she goes crazy.
And apparently marrying Silas makes him do better?
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #108 (isolation #26) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:53 pm

Post by Andrius »

Totally agree that the children are pointless since none are tied to the plot (Lucina) and are out of the way entirely with some children (SHIRO) being near-impossible to recruit if you wait a long time because of level design.

Basically if the character does not show up in my tier list I don't use them much if/at all.
Exceptions are:
KANA (child ofc I recruit her)
Kaze (if I feel guilty
letting him die
that particular day)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #111 (isolation #27) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:46 am

Post by Andrius »

THE GOOGLE DOC wrote: In Extremis is interesting on paper but she needs Vantage to really make use of it, which she doesn't have access to without marrying Corrin.
hehehe
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #114 (isolation #28) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:21 pm

Post by Andrius »

Ch 8 of PoR is one of my favorites. The defense missions (RD's 2-F and 3-5) are other favorites of mine

Uhhhhh, LUNATIC?
I've only beaten HARD.

I looked at my Fire Emblem games again and the only one I'd really want to play right now is Radiant Dawn.
Fates just isn't that good next to its kin.
I mean if FE4 were suddenly released in English on a console I owned (even VC) I'd play the crap out of it but at this point I have no interest in replaying any of the games.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #116 (isolation #29) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:48 pm

Post by Andrius »

Its not a matter of intimidating, its a matter of I don't care to play the game again. :/
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #124 (isolation #30) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:33 am

Post by Andrius »

I mean, I like skills. Astra has always been amazing and Sol is my favorite. (Aether in later games.)
I think I liked them better when there were less of them. Scarcity creates value.

FE4 had some that were limited to certain characters and their children.
FE9 and 10 had skills but in limited supply - FE 9 had a limited number of Occult-based great skills.

The Galeforce/Vengeance combo got me through Apotheosis in Awakening, but it was largely unfun playing all those hours in the EXP grinder just to win that one level.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #132 (isolation #31) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:41 am

Post by Andrius »

How about that Fire Emblem Warriors?

It was a matter of time. I liked DW 7 so Ill withhold judgment until theres more info.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #135 (isolation #32) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:57 am

Post by Andrius »

Id like a console FE too but it wouldn't be for the WiiU so thats sad.

FE Warriors would honestly depend on which characters make it in. If its balanced across the series, then great. If its Fates and Awakening-heavy Ill pass.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #137 (isolation #33) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:05 am

Post by Andrius »

I played the original Paper Mario and liked it.
Played the second (?) and didn't like it.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #139 (isolation #34) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:25 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 138, Vi wrote:
In post 135, Andrius wrote:If its Fates and Awakening-heavy Ill pass.
From what I've heard it will be.

Would you mind letting me know what a Warriors game is like?
I mean, it makes sense since older games don't have voice actors. Still disappointing though.

DW is a different genre. Its not really tactical. The best part of DW7 was the different characters and weapons and routesl-related story, but individual battles dont exactly have a ton of tactical depth besides kill these people take that point kill that boss rinse repeat.

I think Hyrule Warriors may be a better comparison since Nintendo but I know little about it.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #140 (isolation #35) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:27 am

Post by Andrius »

Oh and flashy special abilities. That was huge.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #142 (isolation #36) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Post by Andrius »

Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #143 (isolation #37) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Post by Andrius »

First off, I'm a big fan of Yuri Lowenthal.

Now to it.
Remaking FE 2 is great. If I get another game, that'd probably be it. I don't care enough about the Fates cast which is making its way into everything. Awakening was good but I don't really want to see Awakening/Fates-heavy games while GEMS like FE 4 sit by the sidelines.

Also, just make new games? I get the whole appeal of bringing back old characters but don't really want new games with them. Unless its IKE and a console game and a grand epic story. Which has been lacking since FE 9/10.

FE Warriors is basically Dynasty Warriors and, I mean, isn't enough to convince me to purchase a Switch on its own. I mean, MAAAAAYBE if I'm still playing games in '18 I could see me getting a Switch for FE Warriors AND Xenoblade 2 but they're both looking underwhelming to me.

Heroes looks decent. Don't really care for guns but it was a matter of time. New characters look good. Don't care about the Awakening/Fates part.

I wouldn't play games on my mobile so that's that for me.

If the FE 2 remake is for Nintendo 3DS and not something new I could see myself playing that.
That's about it atm. Didn't watch the whole video though so take my comments as they are.

Spoiler:
I'm afraid my time with the series might be drawing to a close.
ECHOES
might get my money, but that looks like it at the moment. If they remade or even just translated FE 4 to the VC I'd buy that so quick.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #145 (isolation #38) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 144, Vi wrote:Why have new games and attempts at epic stories when you can marry the anime girl of your choice? <__<
Why not both though?

If I had to pick one it'd be the former.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #148 (isolation #39) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:18 pm

Post by Andrius »

FE Gaiden.

Never played Splatoon.
I literally have a Wii U only for Xenoblade Chronicles X.

To be fair I have a Wii U only because I inherited it. But the only game I have is XCX.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #151 (isolation #40) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Post by Andrius »

I played through Awakening again. I kind of assumed that marrying Tiki would hurt in the long-run in terms of abilities/stats but I don't think there's a way to really screw up Tiki or Tiki!Morgan. They were both awesome. The story was still good the second time, even if I wish the VALM arc were longer and YENFAY IS A MUTE weren't a stupid addition. The boss for Fort Stieger was probably the best boss in the area in terms of character if you fight her with Chrom.
Idk.
I tried to play Fates as well and lost interest halfway through.
Story simply isn't as good.

Going to maybe play through FE8 again next week.

Considering getting Shadows of Valencia. I realize that CONQUEST basically has everything I want in terms of map objectives since I'm tired of ROUT/CAPTURE but I know I'd hate Conquest since I would actually want to use less than half of the characters in Conquest and you're supposed to be stronger. Idk. Why they couldn't spread the great level design to HOSHIDO as well is beyond me.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #153 (isolation #41) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Post by Andrius »

Turn-based tactical RPG.
With great stories (Fates excluded), tons of classes (moreso as time goes on) and tons of lovable characters with permadeath.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #154 (isolation #42) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Post by Andrius »

Alternatively, if you prefer TONS OF WORDS:
In post 101, Vi wrote:
AGar wrote:
Andrius wrote:
Fire Emblem
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF AGar. You need to play. :(
Halp? I have no knowledge whatsoever, but am a gamer at heart. I give almost anything at least 1 go, even "Hello Kitty: Island Adventure"! :P
Fire Emblem is a turn-based strategy game. You move your units, the computer moves theirs, repeat. It's pretty much strictly single-player; Link Arena tends to be lame in general and IS hasn't found a good way to work a co-op mode.

The core difference between FE and other turn-based strategy games is its focus on personal development. Your units are people, characters minor and major in the plot. You use them in each Chapter; they have distinct classes, statistical builds and growths, and abilities; they have distinct personalities. You can have them initiate support conversations with other characters to strengthen your army as a whole when they're around each other if you like, although it takes longer to unlock supports with less-than-compatible characters. Most famously, (almost) everyone who hits zero HP dies, and death is
permanent
. Even if for story purposes going to zero HP "severely wounds" them, you can't use them any more. It should go without saying that if the main characters die, the game is over. Whether you reset the game and start the Chapter over in hopes of doing better next time or simply take what you have and move on is up to you; you get enough characters that it's pretty difficult to wind up in an unwinnable situation if you play your cards right.

Fire Emblem's plots are the trashy romance novels of the RPG world - you can loosely have an idea of what to expect, but the specifics vary from game to game. There's going to be at least one dragon, at least one insane monarch, a cleric getting broken out of jail, etc., etc. almost all the time. Yet despite the archetypes the plots and characters are distinct enough that none of them are obvious carbon copies of another.
Also akin to trashy romance novels, there's plenty of scandal to go around - the decidedly
not
conservative-friendly family values some characters display toward each other were probably the major reason the game was originally not for export.

Because of the huge variety of units and strategies, the games have a considerable amount of replay value in spite of being single-player.

Also, start with FE7 (proper name: "FE: The Blazing Sword"; in America, just "Fire Emblem") or FE9 (Path of Radiance).
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #156 (isolation #43) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Post by Andrius »

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

FE 9/10 is a great duo and should definitely be played as if they were one game.
If you overlook the fact that FE10 butchered supports (in the traditional sense), they might just be the best games in the series.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #164 (isolation #44) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Post by Andrius »

Nino IS really good if you care to level her in FE7.
Far superior to Pent and boring-as-crap Erk.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #166 (isolation #45) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Post by Andrius »

I don't play HEROES but Nino is great.
Also really love Serra from FE7 and wish her and Hector had an ending but whatever. A Support was great.

FE Echoes (15?) looks good and I might get that.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #172 (isolation #46) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 168, Cabd wrote:I feel like the routes mechanic in dates was under-utilized.
Agreed.

Fates had the major decision in the Branch of Fate but I feel like there weren't really any other big choices all game. You make one decision at the Branch of Fate but everything else after that is basically railroaded. You make a choice and then do what you're told all game. Especially Nohr where you're supposed to be changing everything, you just do as you're told all game until basically a chapter before Endgame. Birthright is different because you basically just kill Nohrians every chapter with little deviation. A number of characters die in both routes but you can do little/nothing to affect it, and when you can
Spoiler: Birthright Ch 15
you would have no idea what needs to be done to prevent Kaze from dying unless you knew about it beforehand
. I thought his death was largely unimportant since he had such little screentime and we don't really care about him anyway.

Awakening was little better in that the Ch 9 choice doesn't matter and the choice after defeating the final boss has little weight to it since you avoid the big consequence of choosing the "better" option.

But I did like the soundtrack, which is always good.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #174 (isolation #47) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Post by Andrius »

Right, I forgot about that.
Nohr is the only route I haven't played.

If there is a similar choice in either other route, it clearly wasn't memorable enough to merit remembrance.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #190 (isolation #48) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Post by Andrius »

All I know is 5-STAR ELTSHAN WHAT.
HARD CARRY BY THE POWER OF HEZUL BLOOD

FE4 remake please.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #192 (isolation #49) » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:12 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 191, Fluminator wrote:FRICKEN RIP.
LUCINA FANBOYS TOO MUCH
Did you expect anything else?
I liked her in the game but she's certainly not memorable enough standing against the other lords, IMO.

I'd be curious to see how many voters have actually played games other than [FE13, FE14].
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #196 (isolation #50) » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:35 am

Post by Andrius »

I know its not really Fire Emblem, but has anyone played the Tokyo Mirage Sessions game?
I was reminded that its a thing recently.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #198 (isolation #51) » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Post by Andrius »

I think I'll be getting Echoes (FE 15?).
Very happy that we're finally getting a game with actual game mechanics AND a story.
None of this either/or with Birthright/Conquest.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #201 (isolation #52) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:22 am

Post by Andrius »

Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #203 (isolation #53) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:36 am

Post by Andrius »

I keep forgetting that's a thing, to be honest.
At least I'm ready when someone tells me something too good to be true later(?)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #206 (isolation #54) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:48 am

Post by Andrius »

Which one(s) are you playing? Because the newer ones (the smooching ones, so to speak) have options for non-permadeath if you so desire.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #208 (isolation #55) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:43 am

Post by Andrius »

Yeah, they've had support conversations but I took 'smooching' to mean the Awakening/Fates deal of love/marriage/children/galeforce that's a whole package now instead of supports and endings.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #214 (isolation #56) » Fri May 05, 2017 6:55 pm

Post by Andrius »

IIRC the game won't let you play on hard until you beat it once.
I can't recall if it defaults to Easy or Normal for your first playthrough.

Also if you have Radiant Dawn you should definitely play it after PoR since the two games are connected.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #218 (isolation #57) » Fri May 05, 2017 7:27 pm

Post by Andrius »

Radiant Dawn is solid intro game in terms of gameplay/story, but the lack of supports is still a turn-off to this day.
The increased customization is nice since you can customize bonuses and cheese the buddy system with the Earth Bonuses but the lack of actual support conversations is sad.

I have PoR and two copies of RD sitting in my closet and should probably do something with them.
Given I don't even have a gamecube anymore.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #220 (isolation #58) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Post by Andrius »

RD Hard
without
the Laguz Royals.
They make everything easier.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #223 (isolation #59) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:12 pm

Post by Andrius »

Lethe is amazing in PoR. The laguz in general are great, and the laguz who START missions transformed are amazing.
Spoiler: Laguz Mechanic in RD
Its a shame they nerfed the non-royal laguz in RD to the extent they did. Its not Lethe's fault she's OP.

Titania can't share what she doesn't
know

pedit: Yeah, in most FE games the less units you use the stronger they are and the easier the game becomes by virtue of a couple people just cutting a swath through enemy units. In my experience the Final Part of RD and FE4 did the best jobs at making sure no one was THAT broken.

Definitely play RD again and don't use the Laguz Royals in the Final Part. Makes the game a lot harder, even with using the 3-10 tome combo in F-3.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #227 (isolation #60) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 224, Fluminator wrote:In Fire Emblem 4, you could create broken characters.
Yeah, but I found that the Endgame chapter was difficult enough, even with a Holsety_Sety leading the charge.
In post 224, Fluminator wrote:Also yeah, I'm disappointed Mordecai never starts transformed. The chapter is usually almost complete by the time he's around.
Hence why Lethe is better. Because on most maps you'll be charging through their ranks while Mordecai just waits.
In post 225, chamber wrote:It's not like I'm only using a couple units. Its the full deployment in most campaigns. Its like 10 characters or something not 4.
Right.
Then I highly recommend Hard mode.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #231 (isolation #61) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 229, PJ. wrote:
In post 218, Andrius wrote:
I have PoR and two copies of RD sitting in my closet and should probably do something with them.
Given I don't even have a gamecube anymore.
Send them to me so I can play them =). I have a gamecube!
You know that Radiant Dawn is on the Wii, yeah?
They're on different systems.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #239 (isolation #62) » Sat May 06, 2017 6:31 am

Post by Andrius »

Uh BIRTHRIGHT is the only path where you get SCARLET for more than a chapter.
That counts for something.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #242 (isolation #63) » Sat May 06, 2017 7:00 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 241, Vi wrote:
Andrius wrote:Uh BIRTHRIGHT is the only path where you get SCARLET for more than a chapter.
That counts for something.
Yeah, and she still gets hosed on the supports~

They even threw in a character who is canonically hot, and it still can't save Hoshido Quest. Only the royal chin armor can carry this experience.
I mean, since I marry her I don't care that she doesn't have other options but, yeah, they really missed an opportunity for the Scarlet/Lobster supports they obviously hinted at.

"Canonically hot"? Is that a Flora joke?
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #244 (isolation #64) » Sat May 06, 2017 7:42 am

Post by Andrius »

No you're absolutely right the writing in Fates was lazy and Flora's death was stupid.
I continue to be baffled by how little plot-related deaths matter in this game, where every other game they mattered.

I'd be fine with half or even a third of the characters if they actually mattered in the game.
Felicia not mourning the loss of her sister was a missed opportunity.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #249 (isolation #65) » Sat May 06, 2017 8:41 am

Post by Andrius »

When I said "small roster" I meant like 12 characters who really matter.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #254 (isolation #66) » Mon May 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Post by Andrius »

You haven't even gotten some of the best units yet!
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #259 (isolation #67) » Thu May 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Post by Andrius »

1 out of 1 bakers say Lethe. FE10 was full of missed opportunities that furthering their support conversations was one of them.

Mia is absolutely amazing.
ARE YOU NOT USING CRIMEAN ROYAL KNIGHT FIFTH PLATOON CAPTAIN KIERAN?

Also you still haven't gotten some of the best characters yet.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #261 (isolation #68) » Thu May 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Post by Andrius »

I see you like your archers. (Rolf, Shinon)
You're going to LOVE FE10.

Don't bother with Makalov. The game has enough great Paladin as is without him and Astrid. Marcia is also amazing. Tanith is a typical pre-promote and the Third Peg Knight is also great if you invest time in them.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #263 (isolation #69) » Thu May 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Post by Andrius »

Fluminator knows me and is part of this thread so I don't feel bad sharing my opinions since they're mostly wrong from a stats/min-max point of view.

(And as you said, you disagree with everything I said so its not like I'm actually spoiling anything.)

Spoiler:
Knives on Sages is still a dumb idea and I'm so glad they fixed Bastian in FE10.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #265 (isolation #70) » Fri May 12, 2017 7:47 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 264, Vi wrote:
Spoiler:
Knives on Sages only works because you can have Emo Soren.

(But to be fair it also balances Calill, who would otherwise be Pent all over again.)

(Bastian is underpowered in so many ways and it makes no sense.)
Spoiler:
I don't think I ever used Soren in FE9. His character design didn't appeal to me and mages are pretty hit-or-miss for me across the board.

I never thought Calill was that strong. PENT, however, was amazing.

Bastian is definitely underpowered but I care not. He's a great character and arrives precisely when you need him in FE10 and with how I play the FINAL part it really doesn't matter who your mages ae so longa as you have enough to surround Reyson and really cheese up the dragon fight.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #285 (isolation #71) » Fri May 19, 2017 6:11 pm

Post by Andrius »

"Finally a real FE game is here. Not a fanservice waifu game, not a date sim game but a true FE game."
Guys I think I might like this new game.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #287 (isolation #72) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:44 am

Post by Andrius »

Vi, I can replay Awakening. Awakening was good but not in my Top 3. Awakening also has best daughter.
I can't replay Fates. Fates I wouldn't recommend to anyone for [story, gameplay] since they basically have to choose ONE OR THE OTHER.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #289 (isolation #73) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:49 am

Post by Andrius »

I wasn't forcing you but we DO have a thread (two) for this.

Haven't played ECHOES and I'm not sure I will.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #292 (isolation #74) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:07 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 291, Vi wrote:
In post 287, Andrius wrote:Vi, I can replay Awakening. Awakening was good but not in my Top 3. Awakening also has best daughter.
this had better be lucina
Spoiler: Nope. Best daughter and her mother.

Its a FIRE EMBLEM game. I shouldn't have to SKIP the STORY to play FIRE EMBLEM.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #294 (isolation #75) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Post by Andrius »

FE 11 was just bad and is fighting Fates for the position at the bottom of my FE tier.
Never played FE6.

(Morgan is best daughter. The recruitment conversation had my heart instantly.)
In post 290, Cabd wrote::-(

WHY WOULD YOU NOT?!?
I'm just not excited for it. Its like "oh I should play it" but I'm not excited.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #296 (isolation #76) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:29 pm

Post by Andrius »

FE6 was never released outside Japan and I didn't ROM/MOD it.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #314 (isolation #77) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Post by Andrius »

I'm hoping Fire Emblem Warriors is going to be great and not 40% made up of Fates characters.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #343 (isolation #78) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:24 am

Post by Andrius »

Bumping this thread because I have a need to talk about Fire Emblem.

First off I might finally buckle and get ECHOES. I need more FE in my life and the fact that Vi's opinion is holding me back both scares me and doesn't.
In post 328, Vi wrote:Currently playing through Echoes. I just finished Act I.

My succinct impression of this game is "lackluster interactive anime". I feel like I've been lied to by all the hype, because this is somehow more brainless than Birthright.
In post 337, Vi wrote:Oh right. I appreciate how Faye is either a closet yandere, or
should
be one.
pls no
I wanted to like this game. At one point I was promised more tactics and spells-cost-HP and having to make tactical decisions but there's only so much anime crap I can handle.

Second off:
In post 314, Andrius wrote:I'm hoping Fire Emblem Warriors is going to be great and not 40% made up of Fates characters.
Its mostly royals and while I'm no scholar on the game, I *really* don't think Warriors is worth it without like, double the starting characters. No DLC, just more characters. Because half the fun of a DW game is 50 or so characters with their special moves and unique weapons and Warriors' two dozen or so and DLC ones doesn't cut it for me.
In post 325, Spiffeh wrote:Part 2 is such an underrated part of the game pls enjoy it
The defense missions in FE10 are among my favorite defense missions ever.
2-F, 3-5; even 4-1 is good.

Spoiler: Fire Emblem Player Archetype Chart I found on Reddit and love

I'd be hard in the Tellius Oligarchy camp if I hadn't seen "Genealogy is a balanced game" because while its definitely not balanced its highly enjoyable.

Return to “The Arcade”