UK Pol - #independenceday

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #332 (isolation #0) » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:50 am

Post by Wraith »

So if exit polls are true with whom would Tories coalition?
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #335 (isolation #1) » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:57 am

Post by Wraith »

In post 333, Not_Mafia wrote:They probably won't
Would that actually prevent them from carrying out their ridiculous austerity measures?
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #410 (isolation #2) » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Post by Wraith »

hahahahaha fuck Theresa May lol
Show

Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #413 (isolation #3) » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Post by Wraith »

In post 411, Drench wrote:amber rudd BARELY survives, unfortunately
A pity, now she can help sell more weapons to Wahabbists while censoring politicians who call them out for it.
Show

Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #443 (isolation #4) » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:30 am

Post by Wraith »

I've been reading a lot of material from actual UK citizens reacting to this election. For every "Wow I was so wrong about Corbyn" there's a butthurt Blairite saying "Corbyn is still crap and unelectable he just benefited from Tory incompetence."

I don't buy it.

Now I'm just an American looking in, but the Conservatives made the biggest dividends from SNP slumping and UKIP imploding, yet Labour still increased their total share of the vote by
10 freaking %
. They only trailed by
2.4%
of the vote and yet the Tories still have 50+ more seats. The Conservatives are clearly being propped up by the electoral system - the British left mostly united around Labour.

Blairites will say "this was his chance to be electable and they still didn't get a majority" but that's crap. This is clearly indicative of a leftward shift taking hold. Such a notion is clearly ignoring that the Conservatives get dozens and dozens of free seats from the rural regions.

The biggest anomaly for me as a foreign is how the Conservatives made such gains in Scotland. Several Scottish districts that voted Labour or LibDem as recently as 2010 and fell to the SNP surge between 2010-2015 suddenly went Tory. Personally I can only explain it as from the uncertainty over Brexit - can a native help clear things up for me here? If that's the case then I would expect Labour to make even more gains in 2020, especially in Scotland.
Show

Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #446 (isolation #5) » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:53 am

Post by Wraith »

In post 444, Mac wrote:Sturgeon seeks to drive Scottish people further with another independence referendum. And foolish people would rather vote Tory (whose entire manifesto revolved around the referendum I feel) than SNP (who aside from independence do have other pledges). I don't think I agree with independence but I sure as hell would rather be independent than run by the Tories/DUP.

People seem to forget you can vote no in the referendum, and I actually think another referendum would see another no vote. Especially after last night.
That's actually shocking to me. After the Brexit vote succeeded I expected huge backlash in Scotland and
more
demands for another independence referendum. I was under the impression the No vote only won the original referendum largely because of the economic uncertainty of leaving the UK and the EU and having to re-apply for membership.
Show

Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #471 (isolation #6) » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:44 am

Post by Wraith »

In post 465, Vi wrote:So let me make sure I have this right.

1) The snap election was an act of gross mismanagement intended to cement a dysfunctional and incompetent government that blatantly ignores a huge swath of citizens.
2) Even factoring in that both of the two major parties are perceived as dysfunctional and incompetent, the election succeeded beyond everyone's wildest imaginings in cementing a dysfunctional and incompetent government that blatantly ignores a huge swath of citizens.

Is that basically it?
They won't have the political capital or breathing room to institute their extreme austerity measures, AND they're now going to get hung with the albatross of the economic backlash from Brexit. Call me an optimist, but I think this was actually the worst possible outcome for them, save for if they had lost three more seats and been unable to salvage their majority even with a coalition.

I think the Tories are going to lose a lot more seats come 2020.
Show

Return to “General Discussion”