UK Pol - #independenceday

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #465 (isolation #0) » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:34 am

Post by Vi »

So let me make sure I have this right.

1) The snap election was an act of gross mismanagement intended to cement a dysfunctional and incompetent government that blatantly ignores a huge swath of citizens.
2) Even factoring in that both of the two major parties are perceived as dysfunctional and incompetent, the election succeeded beyond everyone's wildest imaginings in cementing a dysfunctional and incompetent government that blatantly ignores a huge swath of citizens.

Is that basically it?
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #467 (isolation #1) » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:38 am

Post by Vi »

In post 466, zoraster wrote:what do you mean by "succeeded"?
I edited for clarity.
The election resulted in an even more dysfunctional and incompetent government by forcing a coalition of bad and awful, instead of just giving bad a "sole mandate".
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #470 (isolation #2) » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:14 am

Post by Vi »

In post 468, zoraster wrote:I guess if we're going for funny, sure. But in reality that's using mismanaged and dysfunctional in two different ways. The Tories wanted to put into place a lot of pretty extreme policies (or continue to do so) and were fine with a Hard Brexit, or at least pretended to be. The election was designed to allow them to more effectively do that. They would have been pretty functional at doing so had they received a large majority, whatever you believe about the merits or morality of doing that.
Somewhat guilty as charged, but I haven't exactly heard much about the Tories being functional at negotiating Brexit.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #475 (isolation #3) » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:35 am

Post by Vi »

In post 473, mykonian wrote:I really hope that they can manage to forge a coalition that has their brexit stance ironed out somehow.
>Brexit per the Tories was partly about having hard borders against inbound EU migration
>The EU wants to have a hard border against inbound British migration, lest the whole point of the EU be undermined
>whoever the neanderconservatives are want a soft border with Ireland (which really wants to stay in the EU) for inbound British migration

They're on a collision course for WaCkInEsS!
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #616 (isolation #4) » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:10 am

Post by Vi »

In post 614, gobbledygook wrote:Can someone give me a cliff notes of what is at stack I’m this election? I think I remember reading Labour leader has been linked to Russia. But that might have been a dream.
BoJo is the only person I've ever seen who I acknowledge looks like a toad
He's also like Trump but unsuccessful
He's campaigning to "Get Brexit Done", via the most self-immolating way available if necessary

Corbyn is a guy who thinks communism is cool, thinks Chavez and co. are all right, and can't seem to believably deny that he's an anti-semite or that his inner circle has like three of them
There's left-wing and then there's this guy
Pretty sure you weren't dreaming the Russia thing

each has a bastion of fans and a much larger contingent of people who hate them

People who aren't Boris are trying not to say they want to cancel Brexit but rather hold another referendum and hand-wavingly follow "what the people decide"

so all in all the only people who don't seem like an embarrassment are the SNP, who want to take Scotland out of this farce entirely
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #624 (isolation #5) » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:48 am

Post by Vi »

In post 620, gobbledygook wrote:
In post 616, Vi wrote:so all in all the only people who don't seem like an embarrassment are the SNP, who want to take Scotland out of this farce entirely
I find that these separatist movements are short sighted. Brexit, Quebec, South Carolina...
Looking into why is pretty they want to secede is useful though
The UK ("what did you expect from a country whose most trusted news sources are tabloids") and SC ("we <3 treason") come across unflatteringly, for instance

Honestly without knowing the details I'm mostly sympathetic to anyone wanting to GTFO of the union jack dumpster fire
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #629 (isolation #6) » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:14 am

Post by Vi »

In post 626, Nexus wrote:FUCK THE TORIES
but then they'll breed

Return to “General Discussion”