UK Pol - #independenceday

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
imaginality
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
Restricted Townie
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #322 (isolation #0) » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:31 am

Post by imaginality »

Oh please let this be true...
"holy shit this entire time i thought imaginalitys profile was a purple seahorse" - camelCasedSnivy
imaginality
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
Restricted Townie

Post Post #435 (isolation #1) » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:39 pm

Post by imaginality »

Kinda pipe dreaming here, probably, but what if Corbyn offers to head a national unity government, with ministers from all parties, and with the specific aim of negotiating a soft Brexit (I.e. negotiate the best deal that maintains single market access), with a guarantee that there'll be a new general election in 2019 after the deal is agreed?

He has an openness to his approach that makes me think he could make that work, unlike May. And if an arrangement like that was agreed on, it would give UK a good platform for negotiations with the EU.

I wonder if any/enough pro-Remain Tory MPs would consider that option. Cos the alternative of the Tories trying to push for a harder Brexit with DUP support seems clearly less stable.
"holy shit this entire time i thought imaginalitys profile was a purple seahorse" - camelCasedSnivy
imaginality
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
Restricted Townie

Post Post #491 (isolation #2) » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Post by imaginality »

In post 490, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 487, mykonian wrote:It's not even been a year since the referendum, and the conservatives, in charge of that brexit, lost 13 seats, a whole 2 percent of the house of commons.
my position is they lose more seats if Labour ran on a platform of no Brexit, or at the very least another referendum
If this was true the Lib Dems would have done better.
If Labour had run on a platform of a second referendum, they would have lost more of their northern England seats (lots of Leave voters up there).

If people change their opinions enough over the next year a second referendum might become a viable option then (albeit then it becomes trickier to get EU agreement if people vote to stay in).

One nice thing about Labour not offering to reverse Brexit completely is this election shows quite clearly that people didn't want to give Tories a mandate for hard Brexit and further austerity Compared with it being unclear whether people voted Labour because they're against austerity or against Brexit or both.
imaginality
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
imaginality
he/they
Restricted Townie
Restricted Townie

Post Post #501 (isolation #3) » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:50 am

Post by imaginality »

Return to “General Discussion”