I made a setup for a real-life Mafia game. Any tips?

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
MuttonChopMagic
MuttonChopMagic
Goon
MuttonChopMagic
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (isolation #0) » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:15 am

Post by MuttonChopMagic »

I've played in person more than most people so in somewhat qualified to five advice

this is just way too many roles. we don't play role madness much on ms, yea, but it's not even that because I used to play tos too and get the appeal. the problem is, in person there's no simultaneous night. you put every player to sleep, tap the party with the highest priority first, get an action, give a result if needed, send them back to sleep. this is time consuming if every single player has a role. also, it becomes very difficult to follow and extremely swingy. you want everyone shouting and deliberating over the scum, not over whether he's godfather or she's vigilante.

as a completely separate note; nobody will want to spend this much time learning the game. sad, but true. there's way too many elements and too many eccentricities to learn. you will probably make a hosting mistake frequently because you yourself even have too much to focus on. players will get confused and apathetic. lots of tos players come with the mindset "I need a role to have fun" but you really dont. and, regardless, this is too much to teach people for a game that's already hard to find players for.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”