new fire emblem fuck yeah.

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:45 am

Post by Spiffeh »

Part 2 is such an underrated part of the game pls enjoy it
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Yeah this is awesome. I'm so immersed I haven't been updating my thoughts because that's taking away from my actual play time.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:14 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

That's great to hear

I was thinking about replaying Radiant Dawn on Hard Mode and chronicling my misadventures here
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:28 am

Post by Vi »

Currently playing through Echoes. I just finished Act I.

My succinct impression of this game is "lackluster interactive anime". I feel like I've been lied to by all the hype, because this is somehow more brainless than Birthright.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:29 am

Post by PJ. »

Oooooooo ooooohhhhhh imma get it then, I loved birthright
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:09 am

Post by Vi »

Update: Just finished Act 2. Not much has changed. Super tactics tech in this game appears to be "choke that point" and "don't throw low-Res units at mages".

Quickly checking around, it looks like this game is pretty polarizing in the fanbase. This must be what I get for liking Radiant Dawn so much.

Genny and Celica could probably take Act 2 on by themselves. Genny is not fair in all the best ways.
Last edited by Vi on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:11 am

Post by Cabd »

It's definitely nothing like the GBA or Console era; but that's okay and I enjoy it on its own merits.

Lategame is all about
Throwing a shitton of archers with silver bows and Dread fighters at an endless army of witches
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Lovebirds
Lovebirds
Goon
Lovebirds
Goon
Goon

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:14 am

Post by Lovebirds »

[FE4, FE7, FE9/10] are still my top three games.

I tried to convert Papa Zito to try FE7 in sitechat yesterday so maybe he'll be joining us here.

-Andy
"How long since we last danced?"
"Too long."
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:16 am

Post by Vi »

Not-an-edit: Mae is the best part of the full voice acting by far.
Cabd wrote:It's definitely nothing like the GBA or Console era; but that's okay and I enjoy it on its own merits.
(how?)
Andrius wrote:I tried to convert Papa Zito to try FE7 in sitechat yesterday so maybe he'll be joining us here.
Good choice. Despite being the first game released in the US, FE7 may still be the overall best experience.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:17 am

Post by Cabd »

How what? How is it different, you mean? Or how do I enjoy it?
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:18 am

Post by Vi »

In post 334, Cabd wrote:How what? How is it different, you mean? Or how do I enjoy it?
The latter.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:21 am

Post by Cabd »

The postgame new content (Actually directly connects the game into awakening and explains a lot of cool stuff. The DLC; and the fact that I pretend that
Spoiler: Act Five spoilers
Berkut actually had a satisfying demise instead of being redeemed at the last second, making him go from great fire emblem villain to cheesy mc-deadface

Also the fact that over-classing glitch is now a feature.
Show

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:27 am

Post by Vi »

Oh right. I appreciate how Faye is either a closet yandere, or
should
be one.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:30 am

Post by Cabd »

In post 337, Vi wrote:Oh right. I appreciate how Faye is either a closet yandere, or
should
be one.
It does piss me off that she's the hidden dancer of this game and there's zero indication of that until you read a guide.
Show

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:38 am

Post by Vi »

Spoilers.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:38 am

Post by Cabd »

Not spoilers. It's based upon what you make her in the beginning of the game. That's the point.
Show

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:58 am

Post by Vi »

I had to put Echoes down. I just couldn't bring myself to drag myself through it any more. I got as far as Jedah's map without touching Act 4 Alm.

(It looks like low-deployment is the way to play this game?)

---

So instead I finished another Birthright random reclass run, because I was not yet cured of wanting to play this game. Birthright is still bad but this team was too hilarious not to try.

In this run I learned that Hayato is basically the worst unit in Fates. I also got to test my theory that it doesn't really matter when you promote; it's basically true. I think I nailed the promotion schedule, actually; people only hit the level cap in Ch. 27.

Spoiler: The team
DLC swag for marrying second gen: 1x Boo Camp. Because Birthright sucks, you get better experience from this than progressing through the story.

*Kiyomi - Lucky/Slow Bow Knight (via Outlaw talent); ended at 20/19; married Asugi. Picked a random Japanese name. Managed to get Lck-screwed but still managed to cap eventually. Slow is a nasty bane but at least Bow Knight made up for it. Movement+1 and Boots are great to have in one place; she could easily reach Garon at melee range in Endgame. I would have posted this sooner but she whiffed the enormous hulking dragon at 93% and got killed on Enemy Phase the first time I tried.
*Azura - Mechanist; ended at 21/18; married undrafted Saizo. Azura is pretty much always held back by crappy weapon ranks, which is a shame because she's a crit machine. Replicate is awesome.
*Silas - Kinshi Knight; ended at 19/19; married Mozu. Silas might be the best unit in both routes, and I'm getting tired of seeing him. He's kind of wasted as a Kinshi Knight (as is a lot of people) but keeping B Lances is pretty awesome.
*Hinoka - Kinshi Knight; ended 15/18; married Kaden. Hinoka is the only person who may challenge Silas for best unit in Birthright, but she's also kind of wasted as a Kinshi Knight. Got absurdly blessed in this run, but still wound up 6 Str behind Silas. *tear, tear*
*Setsuna - Master of Arms, ended 10/12, married undrafted Ryoma. I wasn't going to deal with this crap again. I used her as little as I could, made her queen of Hoshido, and then used her as a backpack for the rest of the game.
*Hayato - Mechanist, ended 10/18, married undrafted Orochi. It turns out that physical Hayato is never good. Magic Hayato was starting to approach good (with Orochi as a backpack, so keep that in mind) but I didn't get a chance to find out. I pounded experience into him so he could pass Replicate, and then he basically hung out for the rest of the game. Replicate was awesome anyway.
*Mozu - Kinshi Knight, ended 16/20, married Silas. She got to A Bows, so she got to play with Spy's Yumi for the last few Chapters. Fairly standard Mozu, except for how she adamantly refused to gain Str (she wound up 6 points under her average).
*Kaden - Basara, ended 14/20, married Hinoka. I promoted him near-instantly and only left him as a fox long enough to get Even Better. He's pretty much always going to suck at magic, and wound up being super-mediocre throughout.
*Sophie - Paladin, ended 20/18, Mozu's daughter, married Shiro IIRC, inherited Aptitude and Luna. She's actually kind of good, especially on offense. I'm not sure why I never seem to use her. She was the only primary sword-user other than Corrin, so she got to play with the Wakizashi and a forged Venge Katana.
*Selkie - Basara, ended 20/19, Hinoka's daughter, inherited Even Better and Camaraderie, married Shigure. It turns out that you can make magic foxes mighty if you dump two Spirit Dusts on them (up to 17+2 Mag at endgame) and give them the best mother ever. Horse Spirit and the two healing skills she inherited made her virtually indestructible. She hit B Tomes but honestly nothing was better than Horse except maybe Gate.
*Asugi - Mechanist, ended 20/19, Azura's son, inherited Voice of Peace, married Corrin. Bad Def and HP, good everything else. Replicate is awesome. Of the Mechanists, he was the only one to start with either weapon rank, so he wound up getting the good shurikens and ultimately wound up chipping with Spy's Shuriken. That thing (with its huge debuffs and Poison Strike) is insane. On a similar note, Replicate is awesome.
*Shigure - Mechanist, ended 20/19, Saizo's son, inherited Voice of Peace, married Selkie. Super-buff and does everything well. Managed to get to B Bows, so his smug face got to show up in a lot of combat. Replicate is awesome.
*Shiro - Spear Master, ended 20/18, Setsuna's son, inherited Quick Draw and Vantage, married Sophie IIRC. Shiro is honestly kind of mediocre and Setsuna is a crappy mother (he even got Spd-screwed!), but he held up well and his utility went way up in the last few Chapters when he picked up the Waterwheel. That weapon is sickeningly good.
*Rhajat - Blacksmith, ended 20/19, Orochi's daughter, inherited Replicate, tried to marry Kana (I clearly hate Kana). I went to so much trouble to get her, and she still got screwed at everything. Still, a Chapter of axe-whacking and an Arms Scroll later, she did exactly what I hoped - hold the Bolt Axe and crush all who opposed her. D Swords also let her hold the Sunrise Katana if she ever had a need to survive Enemy Phases. Did I mention Replicate is awesome? Because I can think of one thing that's better than a vindictive witch who uses her thor-hammer to one-round Generals...
*Kana - Mechanist, ended 20/18, Asugi's son; inherited Voice of Peace and Movement+1. Took his sweet time getting born, but having an 8-Mov Mechanist is legitimately awesome. He did more Mechanist things and wasn't bad at them. Replicate is awesome.

In case you weren't counting, that's 15 units that expands to 21 units. Normally I have to do Ch. 27 by dealing with one or two groups of enemies at a time, but in this run I just killed the entire bottom half of the map by the end of Turn 2.
Ragnell
Ragnell
Townie
Ragnell
Townie
Townie

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:14 pm

Post by Ragnell »

As much as I love radiant dawn. The one thing that gets me is how long some of the chapters are which is both really cool and really bad. On one hand you have a epic enduring defense chapter like 2-E, where Haar, Brom and the others do their best to hold the line, but I have the bad habit of getting unlucky now and then and have someone die near the chapters end usually calling for a restart. I remember on one of my more recent playthroughs I had Lethe die in that chapter after Geoffrey and gang showed up and just said "screw it, she isn't an important unit this time around anyways."
Otherwise, the game is among my favorites with PoR FE7, and Conquest just beating it.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:24 am

Post by Andrius »

Bumping this thread because I have a need to talk about Fire Emblem.

First off I might finally buckle and get ECHOES. I need more FE in my life and the fact that Vi's opinion is holding me back both scares me and doesn't.
In post 328, Vi wrote:Currently playing through Echoes. I just finished Act I.

My succinct impression of this game is "lackluster interactive anime". I feel like I've been lied to by all the hype, because this is somehow more brainless than Birthright.
In post 337, Vi wrote:Oh right. I appreciate how Faye is either a closet yandere, or
should
be one.
pls no
I wanted to like this game. At one point I was promised more tactics and spells-cost-HP and having to make tactical decisions but there's only so much anime crap I can handle.

Second off:
In post 314, Andrius wrote:I'm hoping Fire Emblem Warriors is going to be great and not 40% made up of Fates characters.
Its mostly royals and while I'm no scholar on the game, I *really* don't think Warriors is worth it without like, double the starting characters. No DLC, just more characters. Because half the fun of a DW game is 50 or so characters with their special moves and unique weapons and Warriors' two dozen or so and DLC ones doesn't cut it for me.
In post 325, Spiffeh wrote:Part 2 is such an underrated part of the game pls enjoy it
The defense missions in FE10 are among my favorite defense missions ever.
2-F, 3-5; even 4-1 is good.

Spoiler: Fire Emblem Player Archetype Chart I found on Reddit and love

I'd be hard in the Tellius Oligarchy camp if I hadn't seen "Genealogy is a balanced game" because while its definitely not balanced its highly enjoyable.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:56 am

Post by Spiffeh »

New Fire Emblem for Switch was announced today during the Nintendo Direct!
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:57 am

Post by Spiffeh »

The recent FE games for 3DS have been a mixed bag for me so I'm excited that we're finally getting another home console release!
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:50 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

The battle scenes look incredible cool, now each unit is a group of fighters, sorta like how Advance Wars was.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Post by KittyMo »

I'm still in act one of echoes but I love it so far.

Faye=Cav, most invested in the lord's well-being
Kliff=Mage, moody outcast
Tobin=Merc, literally fights for $$
Gray=Archer, has absurdly high Skill stat, and also somehow went from my fave kid to least fave adult rip
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:57 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 347, KittyMo wrote:
Gray
[...]
also somehow went from my fave kid to least fave adult rip
You are not alone in having this opinion.
Andrius 343 wrote:Spoiler: Fire Emblem Player Archetype Chart I found on Reddit and love
This wasn't perfect but better than I expected.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:51 am

Post by popsofctown »

I put 200+ hours into advance wars dual strike but haven't finished a Fire Emblem game yet. Maybe I am playing the wrong ones. I can't remember the name of the last one I played but like you get Lucina from smash late in the game and every other level enemies ambush from the edges of the map unannounced and that's kind of annoying because permadeath??
I usually find the dialogue cute enough but the gameplay doesn't feel compelling/fun.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Return to “The Arcade”