Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (isolation #0) » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:56 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 10, xRECKONERx wrote:What's up with all the "everybody is on a team" games? I like games where there's actual competitiveness to it.

Playing against the board tends to lead to less hurt feelings than playing against other people. In Arkham Horror especially, it really feels like a triumph to beat the board, and I just like co-op in general. Or 1vEveryone like Betrayal at House on the Hill in Haunt mode or Mansions of Madness(which is good for a couple games, but gets a bit old after one or two games of each scenario).

Cutthroat games just lead to people complaining about how screwed over they get, and in games like Settlers of Catan, it's no fun to be the person getting nothing while everyone else gets everything. Things like Race to the Galaxy, where it's competitive but not cutthroat, are also among my favorites.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (isolation #1) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:22 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 21, xRECKONERx wrote:BSG (can I enjoy it w/out watching the show?)

If my group's any indication, you'll like it so much that you start watching the show(which reminds me that I really need to finish that last season of it)
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #63 (isolation #2) » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:19 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 62, FuDuzn wrote:Jeez, where is the love for Munchkin(I saw Reck just mentioned it, but come on!). Dominion is lots of fun(randomize the choice of cards before you play, becomes quite the bastard deck) and Catan(especially cities and knights) is a cheap thrill, but only Munchkin offers the drunken 'I fucking hate everyone I am playing with' thrills.

Also, anyone play Warrior Knights?

Munchkin is a terrible game. Everyone thinks it's a good idea to play, then wants to quit halfway through when they realize yet again that they're not having fun.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #124 (isolation #3) » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:44 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Diplomacy is strictly diplomacy/negotiation/backstabbing. Takes a really long time, and everyone will hate each other afterwards, but as long as you know it's all within the game, you should enjoy it. I probably prefer GoT to Diplomacy though, as it runs a bit smoother. Diplomacy requires you to have a max amount of negotiation time, or you're just going to take hours for a single turn.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #126 (isolation #4) » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:11 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 125, Sudo_Nym wrote:Plus you need 8 players for Diplomacy.

You don't
need
8 players, but more players definitely helps.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #137 (isolation #5) » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 136, xRECKONERx wrote:I don't know... is it even worth it to go with Diplomacy if we can only get like 5 people to play it?

I've also heard good things about Risk 2042 & the Starcraft board game for good war games.

5 is fine for Diplomacy. It's obviously better with a full group, but I've played plenty of games with just 5 people.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #142 (isolation #6) » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 140, mith wrote:
In post 137, hasdgfas wrote:5 is fine for Diplomacy. It's obviously better with a full group, but I've played plenty of games with just 5 people.

Did you play with the recommended setup (eliminate Italy and Germany)? I've never played it that way, but it has always seemed to me an unsatisfactory solution, with the big gulf between E/F and A/R/T.

Definitely the recommend setup at least once. It had some issues, but most people weren't complaining and felt it worked out fine. We thought we'd probably change it up the next time, but just for a change of pace.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #143 (isolation #7) » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Ludi: What do you think of randomness?
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #150 (isolation #8) » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

I really liked Catan the first few times I played it, but my problem with it now is that the inherent randomness of it means that sometimes you can be screwed through no real fault of your own. At least with Diplomacy or GoT, I at least feel like I was screwed because of what someone else did, instead of just my number not getting rolled.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #234 (isolation #9) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:42 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 233, xRECKONERx wrote:Arkham Horror is just "Things Happen to You: The Board Game" where there isn't really any strategy or tactics and it's basically like a roleplaying adventure where the game decides if you live or die.

Not true, actually. It's a combination of risk management, strategy, and luck. There are plenty of things you can do to try to win. I think I have something like a 60%-70% win rate with just the base game at this point.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #244 (isolation #10) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:39 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 242, xRECKONERx wrote:No no, I've played enough games of it. Probably ten or more between real life games and playing online.

You can plan long term to a certain extent, after that you're at the mercy of the game. I mean, about as much planning as you can do is, "You take care of that gate, I'll go over here or something and hope something good happens to me".

To be fair, there are other types of "Get Fucked by the Game" type board games that I really enjoy, like Betrayal at House on the Hill, and even Mansions of Madness. I think the difference there is that there's enough variance game to game to warrant multiple playthroughs. In both of those games, you get a different scenario that creates WILDLY different results/outcomes every single time, so the randomness takes a backseat to "What is our objective and how do we accomplish it?". Arkham Horror doesn't have different objectives or scenarios. It's literally the same wincon every game and the only gamewide variance comes from what Elder God you happen to be facing, and dealing with whatever minor effect that god has on the game.

I think if Arkham Horror were a much shorter game with a bit more actual brainwork, I'd appreciate it more (or even think it was a good game at all). But considering the bulk of the 'strategy' for the game comes from "which investigator is going to close the gate while everyone else gets RNG'd", and the game lasts hours, I can't really bring myself to appreciate as anything more than a beautifully flavored Lovecraftian RPG with dice rolls.

I'll just have to disagree with you and leave it at that. I've had the experiences with Arkham Horror that you seem to want to have, so it's either that it's just not the game for you or you're just doing something wrong.

In post 243, Chevre wrote:...that's why I asked you to compare them, silly.

Elder Sign is even more about risk management than Arkham is. You have to deal how many dice you have to get as well as what you have to get on the dice instead of skill levels. It's more streamlined than Arkham, in terms of time and mechanics, so if you want the Arkham-style experience in 1 hour instead of 4, go for it. I enjoy it, but I prefer Arkham because I feel like I have more choices.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #273 (isolation #11) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 262, Shmugen wrote:It takes a bit, and the expansions add so much that I refuse to go back to not using them, but it's a good one. If even Vi can like it, you know you have a winner.

I wasn't a huge fan of the one game of Leaders I played. It didn't really seem to add that much.
In post 271, Shmugen wrote:Space Alert is insanity in a box.

I tried it once, but it was way too loud to tell what was happening, and the person whose phone the mission app was on had an important phone call halfway through, so momentum was killed. It seemed like a fun game, just bad circumstances.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #278 (isolation #12) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 274, xRECKONERx wrote:Never heard of Space Alert.

I think my biggest problem with Ticket to Ride comes from downtime. You only do one thing, really, on your turn... so turns go by quick, but downtime takes a long ass time. Putting down the train pieces, flipping and shuffling new cards, waiting for people to select tickets... there's just not a lot of constant shit to be paying attention to. You know where you're going to put down your train, so I always feel like my turn comes and goes and then there's this massive amount of time in between where nothing interesting happens.

I haven't actually played it, but it does seem like that kind of game. You really need people to be moving along quickly for games with those sorts of turns

In post 276, Shmugen wrote:The main thing Leaders does is deepen the strategy. I begin to consider trick plays, the order in which I play my leaders, etc. It also makes an economy build viable.

As for Space Alert, Erin has it (big surprise) and it is loud and hectic and a rush. Not the kind of thing to play in a library.

I may have to play 7 Wonders again with Leaders, I just think it's really good vanilla and feel like adding stuff makes it annoying more than fun, the way I felt Cities & Knights did for Catan, back when I still enjoyed Catan.

Space Alert wasn't played in a library, but it was played at board game club and everyone else was being really loud and we couldn't hear anything. Playing on our own would work I think, but not when there are 20 people in the room.

Also, Eminent Domain is fun.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #285 (isolation #13) » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:05 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 279, Shmugen wrote:Played it, wasn't deep enough by a long shot. You could go colonial, you could go military, you could supplement with tech. Anything else seemed doomed to fail.

Really doesn't seem that much less deep than any other deckbuilder. Deckbuilders as a whole tend to have pretty clear paths to victory, I think. Also, the game I played of it was more of a "go tech and supplement with military" for the winner as opposed to "go military and supplement with tech"
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #310 (isolation #14) » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:51 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Cosmic Encounter?
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #313 (isolation #15) » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:02 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Scotland Yard is also an excellent game.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #343 (isolation #16) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:26 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 340, UltimaAvalon wrote:TTR and Dominion are good suggestions, thank you

To give a better idea of my family, they claim to like board games, but insist on playing games like Life, and Monopoly, and RISK, and I want to ease them into life outside of Parker Brothers

How many people?
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #345 (isolation #17) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 344, UltimaAvalon wrote:4, maybe 5 depending on varying circumstances

Do you think they'd enjoy co-op games, along the lines of Elder Sign or Pandemic? Or all against one such as Scotland Yard or what Betrayal at House on the Hill becomes after the haunt? 4-5 are great numbers for all those games(although I think Pandemic only goes up to 4?)
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #347 (isolation #18) » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 346, xRECKONERx wrote:Pandemic + Expansion goes up to 5 I think

I LOVE Scotland Yard for a smallish group.

What I love about Scotland Yard is that it has a neat theme and it's relatively easy to figure out the strategy necessary as the investigators. I'd call it a good gateway game, even.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #356 (isolation #19) » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:32 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 353, Sudo_Nym wrote:Betrayal is a neat game, but I wouldn't use it as a gateway game. If I was trying to get people who've never played a "non-PB" game, I'd start with something either rules light like TTR, or lighthearted, like Munchkin. Or you can go the other way and play something cooperative like Pandemic, where the more experienced can directly help the less experienced (but hopefully not just ordering them around).

I think Betrayal works because of the theme and the fact that you build the board as you go. Those sorts of things make people go "board games can do cool things".
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #398 (isolation #20) » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 397, Chevre wrote:Not as serious, but any new party game ideas to play at a non-alcoholic New Year's Eve party? Cards Against Humanity will definitely be played, and we got some Walmart-style party board games to play as well. I want to finagle some 1000 Blank White Cards and Mafia in there, but it might be an uphill battle.

As much as we love mafia, if your group doesn't already play mafia, I'd suggest The Resistance, simply due to the lack of player elimination.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #414 (isolation #21) » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

So I received this game Catacombs, as well as Ascension during the Christmas week. Ascension is a fun deckbuilder. I heavily prefer it to Dominion. Catacombs seems absolutely silly and I hope to play it shortly.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #417 (isolation #22) » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:13 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 416, Axxle wrote:Ascension is terrible over two players since it's so random what comes out. So many games where all monsters come out or all buying cards come out or all high cost cards come out and you built your deck wrong only because of the randomness of the game. If you want an alternative to Dominion I suggest Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil.

I completely disagree. I much prefer it at 3 or 4 ahead of 2. Yeah, it can be random and a bit frustrating sometimes, but that's ok. I like the randomness of the game, it forces you to adapt.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #427 (isolation #23) » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:57 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 420, diginova wrote:Ascension still has the issue (even with expansions) of get 4 or more Mechana constructs = Win.

Not actually true. I got 5 of them in my last game and got murdered. Lost by at least 25.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #449 (isolation #24) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:05 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 448, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:Anyone here ever played Forbidden Island?

I really like Forbidden Island. I may even prefer it to Pandemic the majority of the situations where I play games.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #517 (isolation #25) » Thu May 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 509, Benmage wrote:
In post 507, Andrius wrote:So, Game of Thrones: the Board game.

Thoughts/comments/whatnot? Considering getting it for the house since we watch it as a house and it'd be something cool to do on GoT sundays.
In post 508, chamber wrote:Its very heavy and incredibly long.
:?: :?: subjective...

In fact there is an awesome game designed 20 minute tutorial on youtube to explain the rules. Albeit the first game takes quite the learning curve. It plays 3-6... 4 may be ideal, but then again I've never done 6...(only played a handful of times, got it for my brother for christmas)

Still the game once known is like 3-4 hours (has a 7 turn limit). First one is like 5-6 hours.. Not bad, I'm use to Axis and Allies 6 hour minimum.

Needless to say I highly recommend the game. Its so backstabbingly cool.
I've heard it's ideal with 6 just because then you have everyone in the game and no random empty spaces.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #620 (isolation #26) » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 619, mith wrote:
In post 615, inHimshallibe wrote:I need a new game, I haven't picked anything up since the holidays. Give me the lowdown on, say, Dominant Species and Cosmic Encounter.
Dominant Species is also excellent, but definitely on the heavy and long end of the gaming spectrum. My play of it (with four) took about 5 hours with teaching (and I was the only new player, so the teaching went more quickly than it would with mostly new players and/or an inexperienced explainer).
It's also one of my favorite games. However, it only went about 3-3.5 hours with teaching a new player last time that I played it. I find it has a great balance of long-term strategy with having to deal with things that come up. It's an area control/worker placement game. Pretty hard to describe without seeing it, I think.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #640 (isolation #27) » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:09 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Love Letter is great. I've played a ton of it and it still hasn't gotten old.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #649 (isolation #28) » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:58 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 648, Axxle wrote:I'm not actually too much of a fan of Catan, a bit too much randomness with the dice rolls, especially since the dice that came with the set does not like to roll certain numbers (I've kept track and it's definitely a statistically significant difference)
Dice rolls and randomness are not the problem with Catan. The problem with Catan is that its randomness can lead to people who literally cannot do anything, and that's no fun for anyone at that point. Some randomness in a game is actually something that will draw me to a game, as I like having to adjust to what's coming at me. But in Catan, there's none of that.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #667 (isolation #29) » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:54 am

Post by hasdgfas »

I played Keyflower last night. It's a very interesting auction/worker-placement game where your currency for the auction is your workers. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It has just enough depth to make it interesting without being too intimidating, I think.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #670 (isolation #30) » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 669, Scigatt wrote:
In post 667, hasdgfas wrote:I played Keyflower last night. It's a very interesting auction/worker-placement game where your currency for the auction is your workers. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It has just enough depth to make it interesting without being too intimidating, I think.
How did you win/lose?
Are you asking what my strategy was or how you win/lose the game?
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #672 (isolation #31) » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:38 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 671, Shmugen wrote:I liked the game when no green meeples ever came up.
I found the green to be an interesting additional strategy. I feel like it would have been a decent amount worse without that extra option.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #675 (isolation #32) » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:22 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 674, Scigatt wrote:
In post 670, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 669, Scigatt wrote:
In post 667, hasdgfas wrote:I played Keyflower last night. It's a very interesting auction/worker-placement game where your currency for the auction is your workers. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It has just enough depth to make it interesting without being too intimidating, I think.
How did you win/lose?
Are you asking what my strategy was or how you win/lose the game?
Let me rephrase. How did the winner win?

I won the only time I played with most of my points off a single tile(Mercer's Guild). As for green meeples, we had two tiles where we could get them. The only time I used them was to secure first turn in winter, though.
It was a combination of a few things. I did heavy resource creation in winter and then moved them all to my lumber yard for 3 points each, as well as having upgraded all my buildings.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #677 (isolation #33) » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:34 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 676, Scigatt wrote:How much transport was in your game? We only had the wainwright come up, and that was in fall. I kept my village small, though, so I could flip every tile worth flipping early on, especially the Workshop.
3 hexes total in a 5-player game. I got one of them.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #687 (isolation #34) » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:00 am

Post by hasdgfas »

I played Castles of Burgundy last night. I really enjoyed it, it has neat mechanics and a nice mix between short-term reaction and long-term planning.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #725 (isolation #35) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 724, AngryPidgeon wrote:My friends refuse to play power grid because it destroys friendships.
Math the Board Game should not destroy friendships. What do they play?
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #736 (isolation #36) » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 735, xRECKONERx wrote:MOTHER FUCK

I turned on some Magic: the Gathering addon for Chrome and now it keeps replacing Mr. Flay's name with a link to a card called Flay.
Autocard Anywhere? You can restrict it to certain websites or turn it off on certain websites, or turn it off for certain cards.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #743 (isolation #37) » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Played a game of Game of Thrones LCG on Thursday with 4 players. It's
very
different from 1v1, and I think I prefer it. There's just more interesting mechanics to the game with 4 players.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #757 (isolation #38) » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 746, Mr. Flay wrote:So, we
might
be writing an unofficial sequel to Love Letter... anyone played the original? It's a fast, fun little card game.
Love Letter is actually one of my current favorites. It's a great game that I tend to play with others while we're waiting for something, whether that's others at a restaurant, or if we're waiting to go into a theater, or waiting for others to finish a game they're playing. It's fantastic.

I played Hanabi this weekend. It's a co-operative deduction card game which is both surprisingly difficult and a ton of fun. Essentially, you can see every card except your own and either give someone a clue about their hand, discard a card to gain a clue, or play a card. I highly suggest giving it a try.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #801 (isolation #39) » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:28 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 800, Faraday wrote:has anyone played robinson crusoe: adventure on a cursed island? it looks fun (and it looks like there's a lot of variety + game in the box) but just wondering if anyone has played it/what their thoughts on it was?

and that's a fairly quick sale <_< damn
I've played it a couple times. It doesn't quite have the right...tension for a co-op game for me. I've never really felt like we could die at any point the way I do in Pandemic or Forbidden Island or Arkham Horror.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #857 (isolation #40) » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Got Battlestar Galactica for Xmas, as the group I used to play with at college is everywhere now. Still as fun as I remember it in college.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #883 (isolation #41) » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:37 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 882, Faraday wrote:Although Hanabi is an excellent, if at times frustrating co-op game. "HOW THE FUCK DID YOU FORGET THAT WAS A 5?"
YES YES YES. This is a game that does not suffer from "one player says everything that should be done" just due to the way the game is played. It might also be my favorite game right now.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #928 (isolation #42) » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:34 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 918, Shmugen wrote:It's pretty decent, but I'm not sure it's much to write home about.
The thing about Sentinels is that if you like superheroes and co-op games, it's absolutely perfect and has everything you want. It's so flavorful that it's really what saves the game for me. The mechanics certainly aren't special, but everything about the components screams "this is a comic book". And sometimes, that's enough to keep a game fun.

As far as co-ops, my current go-to is Lord of the Rings LCG. I play it at my LGS weekly with a friend, and it's wonderful. Scratches my deck-building itch(in a Magic sense, not a Dominion sense) and I really like fighting against an encounter deck, because you have to constantly adjust to what the deck throws at you and can't optimize.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #935 (isolation #43) » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 934, sthar8 wrote:Trains is a genre. I have a 'train games' shelf in the store.
And, according to my train game snob friend, Ticket to Ride is
not
a train game.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #938 (isolation #44) » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 937, GreyICE wrote:
In post 935, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 934, sthar8 wrote:Trains is a genre. I have a 'train games' shelf in the store.
And, according to my train game snob friend, Ticket to Ride is
not
a train game.
It's really not.

"Train Game" is more like "Worker Placement Game" than it is like "Pirate Game". That is to say that train games are literally a genre (like Wargames, etc.). Ticket to Ride is no more a train game than Race for the Galaxy is a Wargame.

String Railroad and Trains also fall into this weird twilight zone where they look like Train Games, but really aren't. Although Trains is pretty close.
I just like trolling her by calling Ticket to Ride a train game.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1013 (isolation #45) » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:36 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1011, xRECKONERx wrote:I think we're getting a new board game today... probably Suburbia.

Does the expansion add a lot to the game? As in, is it worth buying at the outset?

We're getting Suburbia and so I'm looking for another purchase with it, preferably cheap-ish, but I don't know what to get. Was looking at Hive or Love Letter, something quick/light/cheap/easy to start the night
Love Letter is my go-to for that. It actually plays very well for anywhere between 2 and 5, and I can actually play it for a good hour if I'm waiting for something or someone.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1027 (isolation #46) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:22 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1021, xRECKONERx wrote:I enjoyed Love Letter
immensely
, hooooooly shit. It was so good. I'm in love. It's not as "quck" as you'd think with having to play till 4-7 cubes, but it's FANTASTIC for what it is. Very interesting game, we quite enjoyed it, I think we played 5 times last night.
I enjoy love letter much more when not even paying attention to the cubes and just playing round after round.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1119 (isolation #47) » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:01 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1116, Xalxe wrote:Was she in Eureka or am I crazy?
She was in Eureka at one point, yes.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1222 (isolation #48) » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1193, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 1191, Sudo_Nym wrote:I wouldn't say that Munchkin is that terrible, but it's not a game with much replayability. My group played it a lot when we first got it, and then put it away and never really was tempted to pick it up again.

I heard u liek RNG

See, I think randomness in board games is a fascinating subject. There are plenty of ways to do it badly, but if done correctly, I think randomness really adds a lot to a game(See: Ascension [as I consider it far superior to Dominion])
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1226 (isolation #49) » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:06 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1224, Grand Rapids MI wrote:I disagree that munchkin has limited replayability, especially if you consider the existence of expansions etc.

It's just the same game over and over again, which is why I have a problem with Munchkin now. Every game plays out the same, or at least feels like it.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1284 (isolation #50) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:13 am

Post by hasdgfas »

My main problem with Race for the Galaxy is that you only really get a turn with your engine, then the game is over. It's just a boring game to me.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1301 (isolation #51) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:41 am

Post by hasdgfas »

I really did not enjoy Coup when I played it. It felt like it wanted to be a quick little bluffing game, but it just isn't. It's rather clunky and incredibly punishing to any sort of skill imbalance, which I think is really bad for the type of game it's trying to be.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1304 (isolation #52) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:56 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1302, Faraday wrote:
In post 1301, hasdgfas wrote:incredibly punishing to any sort of skill imbalance

I haven't found that at all, actually? I don't think it's particularly hard to win when new to the game. I also thought it was super easy to explain, even my mom picked it up quickly.

Edit: Citadels can drag a little bit with a bigger number, though I thought. Especially with the thingymajig role...er warlord is it?

Then I am garbage at it, because when I played with one person who had played before, one other person who hadn't, and me, who also hadn't, the person who had played before won literally every single game.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1405 (isolation #53) » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

I love Arkham Horror, but I love good flavor over good mechanics. I do think that Arkham is a bit weak mechanically, but it is just FUN to play. I haven't tried Eldritch Horror, but I hear it's similar, but a little less clunky and a little more streamlined.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1555 (isolation #54) » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:55 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

I played
Fürstenfeld
on Wednesday. It was an ok city-building/stock market-esque game. It had a few issues, such as way too much randomness in the mechanics around the city-building portion. It was enjoyable enough, but I wouldn't recommend playing it more than once. I think each half of the mechanics have been done better elsewhere.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1788 (isolation #55) » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:41 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Had you played Lost Legacy: The Starship already, or was this your first Lost Legacy experience? Also, what'd you think? I'm a fan, although it's a little clunkier than Love Letter.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1793 (isolation #56) » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:07 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1789, Thesp wrote:
In post 1788, hasdgfas wrote:Had you played Lost Legacy: The Starship already, or was this your first Lost Legacy experience? Also, what'd you think? I'm a fan, although it's a little clunkier than Love Letter.

It was my first experience with Lost Legacy. I enjoy Love Letter for what it is, and Lost Legacy: Flying Garden was equally enjoyable and a nice variation on the game, which kept it fresh. It was good silly fun. How is Lost Legacy: Starship different?

Yeah. Love Letter is my go-to for things like waiting for a show to open its doors, but Lost Legacy is nice if you want a little bit more to your silly game. However, my friends and I house ruled the "when you decide whether or not to switch cards, you can do it secretly" rule, because that rule makes the game more about luck, in my opinion.

The Starship and Flying Garden are just different cardsets. The 1/2/3/4/etc are all different effects, and as more sets come out, you can mix and match to your hearts' content.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1839 (isolation #57) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:12 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Boss Monster is a fun one. Pretty simple, and has some issues, but I've had a lot of fun with it as a nice quick game.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1851 (isolation #58) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:37 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 1849, BBmolla wrote:Got Coup, Sheriff of Nottingham, and Betrayal at the House on the Hill.

I love Coup, it's the perfect balance of simple and tactical.

Haven't tried Sheriff yet.

Betrayal on first playthrough was kind of rough, as I'd only played it once and the people I was playing with hadn't played at all. But I think it's a game that gets better after you've played it a couple times. I was the traitor, and my banshee got wrecked in two rounds due to luck unfortunately.

I hated Coup when I played it. It felt like it was more complicated than it was trying to be.

Betrayal is fun, but nowhere near balanced. You have to go into it for the experience, not for tight mechanics.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1863 (isolation #59) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Ascension on iOS, CDB? Yaw and I both have it as well. (I have it on Steam, but there's cross-platform play). We should get you added to that circle.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1875 (isolation #60) » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

I've played a few new/ish things over the past few days:
Galaxy Defenders:
This was a neat co-op game where you essentially play as an XCOM unit trying to complete a mission of some sort before everyone dies to aliens. There were a lot of fiddly bits with it (which isn't necessarily a problem) and it felt a little clunky overall, but I still had a lot of fun. Would play again and would recommend(although I don't think I could play more than a mission in a row), would not buy.

Splendor:
This is ok. It feels like too many components for too short a gametime. Mechanics were good, it just felt like it wanted a bit more to it. Would play again, undecided on recommendation, would not buy.

Sheriff of Nottingham:
I really enjoyed this. It took me too long to feel like I had a decent strategy at all, but by the last couple rounds, I felt like I understood the whole picture a bit more, and knew I was going to get last by a significant amount thanks to a couple really bad bluffs that really hurt. Would definitely play again, would definitely recommend, would consider buying.

Finally, I played more
Coup:
After playing it with a bit better of an explanation and in a bit less "light" of a situation, I enjoyed this a bit more. I still have some big problems with the game. Similar to Splendor, I think that it wants to be a bit bigger, because it feels like it ends too early. However, I would play it again. I still would not recommend it, as I think there are better filler games and better games which want to be a bit longer than filler. Definitely not buying it.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1892 (isolation #61) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:06 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

I just played Tokaido today for the first time. It's very elegant and very clean. I really enjoyed it, although I missed a few things the first time through.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2012 (isolation #62) » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Sheriff of Nottingham is great. I really enjoyed it when I played it, even though I'm not great at it. I think it's even more fun than the TableTop episode showed, as they didn't go deep into some of the stuff I really liked, such as bribing the Sheriff to open other people's bags.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2017 (isolation #63) » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:48 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Cosmic Encounter is sweet. It's not too heavy, and there are functionally infinite different games of it you can play.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2057 (isolation #64) » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:28 am

Post by hasdgfas »

After watching Dead of Winter on Tabletop, it feels like a subpar version of BSG, although still super thematic and super fun. It seems to be a bit fiddly with a lot going on(now, mind you, there's a
ton
going on in BSG all the time as well, so that's not necessarily a problem).

The concern I have is with having separate win conditions besides just surviving. With everything that you have to worry about, surviving seems hard enough anyway, let alone fulfilling an arbitrary objective. It feels like an inelegant way to incite conflict within the group.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2100 (isolation #65) » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:43 am

Post by hasdgfas »

I have only played Cities and Knights once, but it completely turned me off from playing that expansion ever again. We actually stopped before finishing the game, because everyone could tell I was so clearly hating the experience so much. I don't even completely remember why, I think it was because something handicapped me on my first turn and it felt like I couldn't actually do anything after that.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2152 (isolation #66) » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2149, Faraday wrote:Red7 ordered! (And splendor, since despite hearing mixed things I think my family would like it)

Red 7 is super fun(Red 7 OP nerfpls)
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2277 (isolation #67) » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:44 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2276, Sudo_Nym wrote:I have weird feelings about Arkham Horror. I feel like it's not that great a game unless you include an expansion, but if you do include an expansion, you get just a ton of moving parts to deal with. I wish there was like a streamlined version or an app to help with this sort of thing.

I've been told that the streamlined version is Eldritch Horror.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2358 (isolation #68) » Sat May 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Today I played "Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space". I really enjoyed it. It's a hidden information game where the humans are trying to escape the space station and the aliens are trying to eat them, and nobody knows where anyone else is for sure.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2370 (isolation #69) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:13 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2364, BBmolla wrote:Hey guys can you recommend some strategy/war games? The only ones I have that could be considered that are Smallworld and Game of Thrones.
I've heard good things about Memoir '44, but can't speak to it personally.

I'm not quite sure from that description the sorts of things you're looking for though.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2642 (isolation #70) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:23 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2632, PJ. wrote:
In post 2631, xRECKONERx wrote:Whitechapel is meh. I like it. But it's not fantastic?
What hidden movement game would you put above it?
Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space has been a very enjoyable experience when I've played it.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2712 (isolation #71) » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2711, Vaxkiller wrote:A friend of mine just got Settlers of Catan and hes bring it over in a few weeks for a few of us to play. Any tips or tricks? Is it a complicated game? DO I need to read the rules ahead of time?
classic gateway game, very simple to teach and to play. Roll dice, people get resources off that. Trade those resources to others, then build stuff. Try to get to 10 points first.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2731 (isolation #72) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2730, Vi wrote:
In post 2726, PJ. wrote:
Vi wrote:Go get a real co-op game.
Yes?
More experienced people than me have chimed in, but Sentinels of the Multiverse has never not sufficed for my game sessions. Several people I've played with have told me that they enjoyed it despite fully expecting to hate it. Outstanding flavor, huge variety (the expansions add a lot), interesting decisions to make. It is vulnerable to becoming a one-player game, but there's so much variety in all the hero/villain/environment combinations that one person isn't going to know all of the "best" moves all the time. If you try to play the complex stuff it can get a bit fiddly though.

I like co-op games for one of the same reasons I don't like Mafia - if I'm around a group of people I like enough to willingly spend hours with, I'd rather do things that capitalize on us liking each other.
My biggest problem with Sentinels is that it has so many little fiddly bits, but it's still a fun game.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2863 (isolation #73) » Tue May 30, 2017 7:03 am

Post by hasdgfas »

I played Burgle Bros yesterday. I had a ton of fun. Would play again.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2881 (isolation #74) » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:45 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2880, PJ. wrote:Oh has anyone played Above and Below?
Yes, although it's been a while. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Even just the little bit of storytelling that's there is really nice for immersion. Our first encounter was referenced throughout the rest of the game because it was such a fantastic way to start.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2893 (isolation #75) » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:01 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2891, Gammagooey wrote:I do think that the dunwich campaign for arkham lcg is better than just the core set campaign but it's also a fuckton more expensive to get all the packs with it and a big time commitment aaand some of the packs are a pain in the ass to find anyway. It and Pandemic Legacy are the only things I've ever played that bring you to a point of "you're 80-95% completely fucked, do you want to try to pull a win out of your ass, or run the hell away and do your best to leave your future games/scenarios in a better position?" and my god I love that mechanic for actually letting you get invested in your characters/game/etc like that
I love Arkham LCG so much. One of my group is in Europe for most of this month, so the rest of us are doing "Operation: Umurderhoth", trying to finish the Core campaign by murdering the final boss instead of one of the other resolutions. The Dunwich campaign is great, though it seems like the difficulty isn't perfectly tuned. It has some fantastic flavor and mechanics though. What a great game.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2898 (isolation #76) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2897, Gammagooey wrote:I'm really looking forward to Blood on the Altar, but I hear Undimensioned and Unseen is a lot of people's least favorite scenario of dunwich so I might hold off on playing that until I can get all the rest of the dunwich packs so I can blitz through the last 3 scenarios in a weekend or something like that.
I quite liked Undimensioned and Unseen. It's just a bit...straightforward? It's not flashy and exciting, but I had fun with it. One really easy to screw up rule that affects that scenario is that enemies do briefly exhaust to attack before all enemies ready at the end of the enemy phase. So keep that in mind.

But Blood on the Altar is excellent, and Where Doom Awaits is very unique and I enjoyed it a lot. I can't wait to be able to finish off the campaign when our 4th gets back from Europe.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3040 (isolation #77) » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:59 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3039, Gammagooey wrote:Flying out to this for the weekend!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... ghts-2017/

I'm very very hyped for the new arkham horror LCG Labyrinth of Lunacy scenario (heard it's saw-esque with the big version being 3 different 'normal' 1-4 player playgroups playing side-by-side and helping/hurting each other to progress)
Have fun! Labyrinths of Lunacy is an incredible experience with the full 3 playgroups going side by side. (I had friends who picked up the scenario at GenCon, so they were able to host it at my LGS for a big group)
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3167 (isolation #78) » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:20 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

If anyone is looking for a sweet campaign-style game with a lot of replayability, the Arkham Horror LCG is exquisite. It's my favorite FFG Arkham game, and they have several. It's flavorful, it scratches my deckbuilding itch, as well as my co-op itch, and there are a bunch of different branches to all the campaigns(3 released campaigns so far, with a 4th coming soon).
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3345 (isolation #79) » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:16 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Has anyone else played the This War of Mine board game? It's a fascinating attempt to directly map the video game of the same name to a board game. Not all of it works, but I really enjoy the game.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3395 (isolation #80) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:04 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

Every time I play Gloomhaven I just want to play more Gloomhaven. It's incredible how many moving parts it has and how much tension every single mission still has
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3408 (isolation #81) » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:22 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3406, PJ. wrote:she might like patchwork? idk, i'm dumb.
Patchwork is an excellent suggestion. I really enjoy it as a two player game. I'd also suggest another word game, such as Paperback, if you want to shift away from Scrabble.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3450 (isolation #82) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:12 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3448, PJ. wrote:I heard bad things about clank but I heard clank in space fixed it.
Clank is neat. There are some weird things to it, but it's generally over quickly enough that I don't mind its issues.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3454 (isolation #83) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3451, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 3450, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 3448, PJ. wrote:I heard bad things about clank but I heard clank in space fixed it.
Clank is neat. There are some weird things to it, but it's generally over quickly enough that I don't mind its issues.
they somehow made a Clank a legacy game
I have know idea who was asking for that
I'm a sucker for Legacy games in general, so I'm excited for it.
In post 3453, popsofctown wrote:I don't understand legacy games in general
It's the feeling of progression, the excitement factor of "LOOK AT THESE NEW THINGS", seeing things change as you play more, and, in many cases, an actual plot of some sort where you want to see what happens.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3471 (isolation #84) » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:49 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3470, xRECKONERx wrote:ive never played any of stonemaier's games so id love to understand the hype

viticulture looks like a p standard worker placement game
scythe looks like...agricola, with steampunk stuff?
then ive seen people eating their fucking hats trying to get copies of wingspan & tapestry

so can someone pitch me on em
They're all very pretty and people like pretty games, even if they're pretty standard versions of a genre.

I found Wingspan to be a pretty standard engine builder with very pretty art and components.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3486 (isolation #85) » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:29 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3483, Something_Smart wrote:Island is better than desert imo, though it can have a problem with one person telling everyone what to do (I am certainly guilty of that).
Island is great, Desert is fine, I like Sky a lot too.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3521 (isolation #86) » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:19 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3515, Equinox wrote:
In post 3507, PJ. wrote:If it's longer than 90 minutes, it's too long
any game shorter than 120 minutes does not feel like a game was played.
Past 120 minutes a game has to be very special to hold my attention.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3540 (isolation #87) » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:15 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3526, Vi wrote:With that said I don't really understand the appeal of games that are so short that you count your wins in sets, like Love Letter or Coup.
I love these for killing time and joking around with friends, but not for more "serious" play. Love Letter is a classic "waiting for food while out at dinner" game for my group. There's not actually tracking of how many rounds each person won, we just play until the thing we're waiting for happens.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3559 (isolation #88) » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:22 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3557, AcRv wrote:I picked up Hail Hydra out of curiousity a while ago and have only had enough friends around that wanted to play it twice. It's somewhere between Avalon/The Resistance and Secret Hitler in terms of gameplay, but feels incredibly skewed in favour of the Hydra agents from what we've played. Has anybody else played it enough to give more insight into how a meta has evolved that gives the heroes a higher win rate? Not sure I can recommend based on the games I have played but I'm keen to explore it more so I can be wrong in my assessment.
I played it once. Was a Hydra agent and won. It was a cute social deduction game but I didn't feel the need to play again.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3604 (isolation #89) » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:40 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3601, vonflare wrote:if you want a deck builder, dominion is a better intro game imo. Teaches all the core concepts of deckbuilding without any added fluff.

klank! is probably a close second though since the only 'fluff' it adds is a board and movement/combat mechanics
I don't think a no-frills deckbuilder is what he wants. It sounds like the outer trappings of a board game like Clank! are exactly what works for his group.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3612 (isolation #90) » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 3611, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 3607, PJ. wrote:I've never played Clank, but I've heard that the In Space iteration fixes a lot of problems with the regular iteration.
From what I understand, the problem with vanilla Clank! is that just running in, grabbing the first artifact and running out is a very viable strategy because the game is forced to end 4 turns after the first person get out of the dungeon. This prevents people that want to go deep into the dungeon and push their luck from doing so. I haven't played Clank In Space, but I think they change the game ending mechanic by instead having escape pods that are limited vs the number of people. That way if you're first out, you are definitely safe, but you will limit your scoring and you can't force the rest of the players to be trapped in the dungeon. I've never played Clank! with anyone that just grabbed the first thing and ran, but I could see it being pretty annoying. I could also see it getting fixed pretty easily with some relatively simple house rules.
Grab the first thing and get out was my strategy the one time I played Clank! but the game played out in a way that it was my best strategy to try to win, not because I was just trying to cheese it.

Return to “The Arcade”