Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #4325 (ISO) » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 4318, xRECKONERx wrote:Yeah I'm rather over the teleporting complaints

Would y'all prefer 6 episodes of Dothraki riding aimlessly around instead of just getting to the actual interesting stuff?
I don't mind it not being shown but I wish we at least saw scenes in chronological order then. Logistically I don't think we are, which doesn't help the teleportation feel.
Taking a break from the site.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #4326 (ISO) » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:04 pm

Post by Porochaz »

I want my 10 episodes. If that means episodes of travelling, how the characters do the toilet when they are on the move, where non-important people live in Winterfell and Sansa and Littlefinger playing Snakes and Ladders, I want to see it goddammit.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4327 (ISO) » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:25 pm

Post by Firebringer »

I want an episode of them mining the dragon glass.
Then have a episode of them just shipping it
Then a episode of them doing inventory.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4328 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:52 am

Post by Rhinox »

I mean the show kinda created the problem on its own so I get it. In earlier season, logistics mattered and was relatively consistent. You would feel the passage of time and distance, it was built into the storytelling. Now, it only matters when its convenient to the plot and it doesn't matter when its inconvenient to the plot. And the "things aren't happening at the same time for everybody" excuse is lazy because eventually timelines converge and the mental gymnastics it takes to match up the timelines is sometimes suspension of belief breaking. And resource management is a part of it too and is also guilty of only mattering when its convenient. But I guess ignore sometimes poor storytelling because drogon battle sequences are cool and worth it. I really am enjoying this season, despite the flaws I've come to accept.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4329 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Post by Wraith »

In post 4325, chamber wrote:
In post 4318, xRECKONERx wrote:Yeah I'm rather over the teleporting complaints

Would y'all prefer 6 episodes of Dothraki riding aimlessly around instead of just getting to the actual interesting stuff?
I don't mind it not being shown but I wish we at least saw scenes in chronological order then. Logistically I don't think we are, which doesn't help the teleportation feel.
We don't need to literally see it. This can be covered as simply as some throw-away lines by side characters about refugees fleeing devastation, X army being on the move in Y area, or something similar. Simultaneously, these throwaway lines need to make some amount of sense and not violate things that have already been established, such as when the Vale army infamously took over and camped out at Moat Cailin - aka the extremely important chokepoint between the North and the South that is notoriously difficult to take from the South - for a vague but not inconsiderable amount of time with the Boltons *never* noticing. The same Moat Cailin that Roose Bolton had to be smuggled around and taken from the North by subterfuge because it is notoriously impossible to assault (
this is not even book context speaking, this was from the show too!
).

When you cut out the context, it makes this conflict seem more like a literal chess game than a war. In realistic war, armies don't stay idle or teleport or do nothing worth mentioning until they are needed in a staged battle or siege. They march, they pillage and affect the local area, they push civilians ahead of them through fear and devastation - they are difficult to keep concealed with absolutely no mention for even short periods of time, even if they are sitting idle somewhere.

But this season has literally made the conflict a chess game - Euron to Shipbreaker Bay, takes Yara and Dorne. Unsullied to Casterly Rock, takes Casterly Rock. Euron to Casterly Rock, takes Dany's Fleet. Jaime to Highgarden, takes Olenna. Dothraki and Dany to the Reach, takes Jaime. Chess is a metaphor for war and politics, but war is not a chess game.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #4330 (ISO) » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:18 am

Post by PJ. »

Who cares? Seriously? I'm p sure this is an 8 episode season. It's the last season. We need to take shortcuts, and honestly it took us 70 hours-ish to get to the dragon fight that we've been waiting for since those dragons got born. That wasn't long enough for you? Like we had departures from the book as early as S2 and we've been in warp speed since S5ish. Now, on the hangover from badass arya, fire-ice winkery, and FUCKING DRAGON DEATH is not the time to he shaking your head and sighing logistics and if you are or even vaguely considering this bad story telling, I think you're just not a very fun person. This is the payoff season, men. This winks and flexing and FUCKING DRAGONS. Did I mention the dragons? Idk man, sit down, shut up, and strap in. That's my advice.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #4331 (ISO) » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:39 am

Post by Korts »

One of my colleagues also works as a translator for HBO, and he told me some major spoilers for the season finale. It is going to be epic.
scumchat never die
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4332 (ISO) » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:47 am

Post by Venmar »

"We have to rally against the White Walkers! We need to fight them or all die!"

4 episodes in, no sign of white walkers. Mkay.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #4333 (ISO) » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:51 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

Cut them some slack, it must be hard trying to get from point A to point B when the showrunners aren't willing to teleport you around.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4334 (ISO) » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:00 am

Post by Venmar »

I don't really think an expedited speed works very well for show of this kind of depth and scope. Most of Season 7 has been really fun and exciting and EPIC, but the way everything is being introduced and wrapped up with such speed is uncharacteristic for a show that in the past spent an entire season (season 2) to set up the downfall of a house (Starks at the red wedding in season 3), yet the Tyrells and Martells both seem to get incorporated and then crushed as allies over a two-episode arc. Factors such as the Tyrells logically should having more men and soldiers than the Lannisters anyways due to the former suffering less than the latter in the previous wars aside, I just can't help but roll my eyes as the show definitely feels like it's becoming more and more like regular, average, predictable tv show making with each season. Benioff and Weiss really aren't as smart as they think they are.

I still love the show, but it has to be realised that despite the epicness and awesomeness of dragons and potential white walkers this season, the show, from a narrative point of view, has gotten significantly more dumbed down ever since Weiss and Benioff ran out of books and had to rely on themselves.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #4335 (ISO) » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:02 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

I would wonder how much of it is corporate influence.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #4336 (ISO) » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:04 am

Post by Annadog40 »

Wasn't the show expanded to more seasons than this one? That could cause problems.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #4337 (ISO) » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:15 am

Post by PJ. »

Oh my b 1 more season. Only like 9 more episodes though.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #4338 (ISO) » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:31 am

Post by Annadog40 »

Expanding shows puts loads of stress on creators. Like with Scrubs when it got a new season unexpectedly.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #4339 (ISO) » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:11 am

Post by PJ. »

I think it was 1 season split in half.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #4340 (ISO) » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Post by Annadog40 »

Littlefinger was fun.
This is my life now

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4341 (ISO) » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Wasn't thrilled with that episode overall but certainly some interesting info in there.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #4342 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:27 am

Post by Korts »

That thing about the annulment was a pretty well executed reveal. I thought the awkward tension between the Jon-Dany-Jorah triangle was a bit unnecessary, but I'm sure a lot of people were squealing with joy over it. Littlefinger's trick was clever, I wonder what his goal is. Now that Gendry is here, he's definitely dying next episode, because what else would his point be on this quest. And goddammit, Dickon. So is Sam now the head of his house, or did he lose that privilege when he took the black?
scumchat never die
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #4343 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:32 am

Post by Annadog40 »

Lost it pretty sure. That is part of taking the black.
This is my life now

Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #4344 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:43 am

Post by Korts »

So the Tarlys are extinct.
scumchat never die
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #4345 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:55 am

Post by chamber »

Presumably littlefinger noticed the tension between arya and sansa and is trying to play them against each other to keep sansa as isolated as possible?
Taking a break from the site.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #4346 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:54 am

Post by AniX »

I can't wait for Qyburn to see a wight.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4347 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Post by Iecerint »

In post 4344, Korts wrote:So the Tarlys are extinct.
On the other hand, Jon Snow is King in the North.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4348 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:49 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4343, Annadog40 wrote:Lost it pretty sure. That is part of taking the black.
In post 4344, Korts wrote:So the Tarlys are extinct.
Well I think its possible the Night's Watch could cease to exist by the end of the show which would release sam from his vows. There's also precedent for a King releasing a night's watchman from his vows - stannis was going to legitimize Jon as a Stark and name him Warden of the North - and Sam happens to be good friends with a certain king in the north
and rightful king of the seven kingdoms

I think the reason I wasn't as happy with this episode is because it felt like a first episode again. We had all this momentum building in the war between Dany and Cersei and this episode just slammed the breaks on all that and felt like it went back to all set up in a different direction. Shouldn't have to wait long for payoff though, what with 2 episodes left and all.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #4349 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:13 am

Post by PJ. »

Pagebottom

Return to “General Discussion”