Geriatric Players Club

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:17 am

Post by Mulch »

In post 49, chamber wrote:In 203 he was scum, so if they let him get away with it~.
U ruined it :(
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:22 am

Post by chamber »

I don't see making the game miserable to play as a viable strategy as scum, even though I know many disagree, so that doesn't actually roll back how I'd potentially feel about playing with you in the future.
Taking a break from the site.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:33 am

Post by Mulch »

Let's continue this discussion in like 14 hours when I have more time lol
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:53 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Hey, I'm old, sign me up coach.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

My post restricted 13p mini is now in signups!

More info in the normal queue.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Also there was some actual bashing of people who hyperposted in the 22 page thread. Korts has done none of that.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Mjollnir
Mjollnir
Goon
Mjollnir
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:46 am

Post by Mjollnir »

While I certainly don't agree with the whole "blacklisting" thing, I have zero problem playing with people who multipost a lot, I certainly related to the opening post and in particular the linked thread in it to a discussion about posting frequency and how multiposts have become the norm as opposed to walls.

I have rejoined the site under this account, having previously played on here up until about 2012. It was a pretty big culture shock when other players responded to my wallposts by telling me not to do that, with some even finding me scummy for it! They believed I was obfuscating my intentions through posts that were too wordy. There are several little differences between the way things were done before compared to how they are now, this however is probably by far the biggest, at least that I've noticed so far. I guess it's a bit like walking into the old, traditional pub in the town you grew up in, except it's now a trendy gastropub and the nice warm fireplace in the corner has now been replaced by a whacking great tele with Sky Sports on it.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing though, for one I quite like gastropubs, and in the same way I don't think the change is necessarily a bad thing. I haven't noticed much functional difference in the manner of the posts, just that they are now split up as opposed to in one big block. I was advised to adapt the way I posted to reflect this change, I have and people actually seem to be more receptive to what I'm trying to say now. I would definitely argue it was my responsibility to adapt to the way things are done now as opposed to asking everyone else to change to suit how I feel things should be done. The game is still just as fun as it was back then even though things have changed somewhat.

Just my two cents really :)
Agent Sparkles
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:25 am

Post by Agent Sparkles »

Walling an extreme amount can kill some people's motivation to read, but imo it's better than just posting every other thought as it comes to you. What I usually do is split up my input into around 2-3 posts(?) and try to keep new points fresh and easily accessible, but keep it concise enough not to spam up the thread.

But yeah, blacklisting hyper-posters is a pretty extreme way of dealing with this. You're realistically not going to avoid them all anyway.
"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." -Oscar Levant
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:10 am

Post by chamber »

Depends on how you define hyper poster? The issue with walls isn't well written ones. The same is the case with more frequent posters.
Taking a break from the site.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 38, Mulch wrote:
In post 36, wgeurts wrote:
In post 34, Mulch wrote:This is a shit thread for multiple reasons, even more than the fact it's encouraging mass numbers to avoid certain people
So you're saying it's bad for people that don't want a certain kind of play to avoid said kind of play?

If anything that's good as that should lower the ammount of people getting fed up or overwhelmed by a game.

That's a separate point. My point: There should not be a group of players that globally blacklist people. It alienates them and is a form of bullying. It's not complicated. It's bad for site reputation as well.

In response to the bolded: YES. I think it's also shit for people to try and only play with a certain type of player. It hurts diversity and barrs the obtention of new knowledge.

Knowledge such as different ways people play, new tactics, etc.

It restricts the ability for you to grow as a player.
As a player the things that would make me dread clicking open a game are when people get personal and take things way too far, and opening the thread after a good sleep and finding that there are 20 or more new pages in the game. (Bonus round: 20 new pages in the time it takes me to read anywhere from 1-5 pages.)

Like I know a lot of active players in mafia tend to be in their teenage years where they have a lot of free time, and their brain might be in a mode where it's like MAFIA MAFIA MAFIA... but after you get to a certain point in your life... you just don't have that kind of devotion to power through that kind of crap like you used to.

It's a really easy 'blacklist' to get off of too... JUST STOP POSTING SO GODDAMN MUCH. (If you're posting 3 times or more in a row before someone else frequently in a game, you are posting too much.)
Sunlit Diamond
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:46 am

Post by Sunlit Diamond »

I am not a geriatric player *lol* but....
after you get to a certain point in your life... you just don't have that kind of devotion to power through that kind of crap like you used to.
This. Although for me it's less about devotion (I get SUPER obsessive about my hobbies) and more about lack of time. I am a single parent with a full time job and halftime school. I really like playing mafia, but I literally cannot keep up with a power spamming gamestyle.

I do not see how it is 'bullying' for me to recognize and respect my personal limitation so I can better enjoy my hobby in the time I have?
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:06 am

Post by SpyreX »

Sounds like bad at mafia needs a sister quiet at mafia.

The larger issue I've seen is that the rapid fire mutiposting style turns into pages of nothing. Hell, back in my day 'white-noise' was a legitimate scum tactic. Because it snowballs and then people stop reading for nuance in favor of speed.

And Fate was many things, but never that. There is a marked difference between the multiposts and active posting - usually it was actualy fairly easy to tell alignment when a fate-tirade started.

But the post speed, extra meta push and overall increase in acidity are definitely some of why i stopped.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Transcend
Transcend
Survivor
Transcend
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:12 am

Post by Transcend »

AYYY IM AT THE TOP OF YOUR LIST

AYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:49 am

Post by WhyMafia »

But the thing is, apart from if you're making a well-developed case, I despise reading walls that are created solely to just reply to things they missed. I would much rather have them break it up into several posts. Or sometimes I want to add something to my 1-2 liner and post another comment. I don't see how posting less frequently with bigger posts is more relaxing than posting quickly. They require equal amount of analysis and take equal amounts of time to make a reply. Unless I'm misinterpreting all of this :lol:
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:14 am

Post by SpyreX »

I think wall is being exaggerated some.

I've seen games lately where your above post would be considered a 'wall' and be the longest post for dozens of pages (which would be only an hour or two realtime).

Compare that against a lot of the verbose players back in the day and your post wouldnt even be considered a post - just filler because no way could something that small be a case.
Show

Proud member of BaM
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:06 am

Post by Korts »

In post 63, WhyMafia wrote:But the thing is, apart from if you're making a well-developed case, I despise reading walls that are created solely to just reply to things they missed. I would much rather have them break it up into several posts. Or sometimes I want to add something to my 1-2 liner and post another comment. I don't see how posting less frequently with bigger posts is more relaxing than posting quickly. They require equal amount of analysis and take equal amounts of time to make a reply. Unless I'm misinterpreting all of this :lol:
I think much of the readability of wallposts depends on formatting, which is why I like to use collapsible spoilers, lists, dividers, and headers. Also short paragraphs are better than long paragraphs, but variation in length is also important. The visual of a good wallpost has a transparent structure and is easily parsed.

I put thought into every post, especially when I have to react to five pages of sudden buildup all at once. I like taking care to communicate my position clearly.
scumchat never die
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:13 pm

Post by kuribo »

I'd have way more posts per day if I didn't go away for weeks / months / years at a time
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Post by SpyreX »

I think theres also an obvious difference between 'someone once every few days posts a handful of back to back catchup posts' and 'this shitposting machine havent brakes and antimidases everything it touches 24/7'.

Theres a fine medium in there somewhere to be had but even identified the more games i read the more confident i am people wouldnt want it.
Show

Proud member of BaM
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Post by Alisae »

_|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|__
|___|___|Did someone say wallpost?|___|__
GTKAS
| here.
Wall
Wall
Goon
Wall
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Post by Wall »

___|___|No! Nobody said that!!!!!!!|___|__
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:02 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 15, Human Sequencer wrote:Drealmerz7, Alisae, Gamma Emerald, gerryoat, Boonskiies

More 'Kids These Days' with hyperactive posting. I'd put myself on the same list, but I'm really trying to fix it lately. I did my best to only mention those who I feel it happens almost every single game for, and I don't necessarily dislike anybody on the list.
I'm lurking to check out what game y'all decide on hijacking, to join it as well.
Ginngie.

I love Ginngie! But like, yeah. She's one of the "kids these days" for sure!

I am a low poster. Sure, that can be low content too sometimes, but it's the way I'm used to.

Sure, I spam discussion threads sometimes, but not games!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

You may want to add me to that list as well. Recently been going for a concise and active playstyle, so you may not want to play with me at this time. I may try to do one that is less active in the future, not sure how I can do that. Reason being, my attempt to control the previous game was what lost the game for us (post wise), and transcend and team played off of that. That is why I intend to try to slow down, but that is a very hard thing to do. :oops:
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:53 am

Post by Bulbazak »

In post 70, Aristophanes wrote:Ginngie.

I love Ginngie! But like, yeah. She's one of the "kids these days" for sure!
The difference is that Ginngie provides content. And she's not a spamposter. She just seems to have a lot of disposable time, and as such she is more active and able to respond quicker. Let's not equate active posting to be the same as spamposting (see Aronis, Saki, or the like).

As for spamposters, I'm not above policy lynching them during the early days. Making the thread more readable on future days is definitely a pro-town move. In Night & Day, for instance, you will notice that while I was strong townreading Aronis during the early days, I never tried to stand in the way of a possible lynch. I would explain why I was townreading him, or I would dismantle faulty logic, but anything else I wouldn't touch, as I felt a compromise lynch there could actually be beneficial. To be fair, joining the wagon there probably would have been an improvement to the game.
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:08 am

Post by Mulch »

Whenever people try to policy lynch me i vote myself and suddenly they get angry and unvote me quickly
Amrock#3784
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:35 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

I might laugh, but it's unlikely to change my mind. Also, if it's a policy lynch, it's near the end of the day, so I don't care that much.
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”