Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #2950 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:47 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In post 2949, Cabd wrote:I guess we know what game you'll bring to Chicago meet two whenever it happens. Or AX.
I brought Cutthroat last time I came lmao. >.>

And Tragedy Looper.... and Chaosmos... and Eldrich Horror....
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #2951 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:47 am

and Code of Nine...

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2952 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:47 am

Post by zoraster »

thanks! lots of suggestions to look through. I'll be sure to post which I go with (or if i have more questions).
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2953 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:04 am

Post by hiplop »

lld bring that game that allowed me to bully pablito next time and ill be a very happy boy
third best scummer of all time
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #2954 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:10 am

Which game was that?

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
inspiratieloos
inspiratieloos
Goon
inspiratieloos
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2955 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:42 am

Post by inspiratieloos »

In post 2948, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:Highly recommend that if you buy Escape you at MINIMUM buy Curses and Treasures, but the big box actually is the best value for sure.
Pretty sure Curses and Treasures are included in the base game. But yeah, Escape is great.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2956 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 2928, zoraster wrote:Looking for a suggestion for my family's yearly week long vacation. Need to add a
5 player game
(6 players is also great, but 5 is our most normal number of players). We play a lot of board games while on vacation, but it's been sort of particular on what games have found major success.

Here have been games that we've ended up playing a lot of:
1. 7 Wonders. By far our most played game, it involves strategy, the concurrently playing mechanic works nicely, it never feels too much like any individual player is "out of it,"
2. Ticket to Ride. We don't play this one any more because we overplayed it, but it was a good match.
3. Castles of Mad King Ludwig. In particular my wife likes this game.
4. Dominion. We've had fun with this, but even with 4 players it really moves too slowly.
5. Five Tribes. Inexplicably doesn't have five players.

We've played a lot of games that have been enjoyable but haven't really caught on like Smallworld.

Types of games that won't work:
1. Cooperative games. If the game ever risks having a quarterback, it won't work, with or without a traitor.
2. Thematic games (games that rely on their theme, story telling, etc. to make the game fun.)
3. "Silly" games like party games. It has to have some element of strategy.
4. Games that last longer than 2 hours, and it'd preferably be 60 or fewer minutes though it's not required.
5. Non-repeatable games. Likely goes along with thematic
6. Preferably no games with shifting alliances. I don't want to hear my father and his brother try and convince us to gang up on the other the entire game (e.g. no cosmic encounter).

I've thought about adding a worker placement game, but not sure that's the best road to go down.
Define shifting alliances? Does this basically mean any game in which player interact with one another or does it specifically mean "we are partners" type gameplay?(i've never play cosmic encounter)

If interaction is allowed Mission: Red Planet is a pretty great game. Area control/hand management and the simultaneous action selection keeps the pace BRISK.

Alhambra is a pretty cool family weight game as well as Bohnanza. They might be on the simpler end though.

I also second Roll for the Galaxy(the first game is gonna be a shit show because of all the symbols) and Evolution(although evolution can definitely have people gang up on the other - but simultaneous action variant can keep this brisk)
~~~~~

@ LLD: How is Code of Nine? It's on super sale at my lgs with Eminent Domain.

Also was wondering if I should buy modern art despite hating Ra
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2957 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Post by chamber »

I think race for the galaxy is just a better version of roll for the galaxy. I don't think I'd ever recommend roll instead of race.
Taking a break from the site.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2958 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:18 pm

Post by PJ. »

I think you're the only person in the world that feels that way. I've explicitly only heard the opposite
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2959 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Post by PJ. »

Oh also completely independent of both that.

I played Castles of Burgundy, it was real fun(only plays 4 tho =() but I was definitely thinking about picking up the Card Game version cause i've heard it's largely the same game but faster.

Also saw the new Eric Lang Giodfather game and was definitely looking at that cause Thug Placement.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2960 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Post by chamber »

Is it your opinion first hand? I think I could provide plenty of counter examples. Its certainly true of my game group, for instance, but I also think original race is one of the most played games on boardgame arena? I also think its substantially higher ranked on BGG.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2961 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:25 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 2959, PJ. wrote:I played Castles of Burgundy, it was real fun
What? Ok we have incompatible tastes. This is the worst game in the top 100 on BGG.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2962 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 2960, chamber wrote:Is it your opinion first hand? I think I could provide plenty of counter examples. Its certainly true of my game group, for instance, but I also think original race is one of the most played games on boardgame arena? I also think its substantially higher ranked on BGG.

I've never played Race. Dice Tower are big Roll guys. Most of the people around here seem to only bring Roll to the table and never Race.

Also they are rated about the same on BGG. mid 40s.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2963 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 2961, chamber wrote:
In post 2959, PJ. wrote:I played Castles of Burgundy, it was real fun
What? Ok we have incompatible tastes. This is the worst game in the top 100 on BGG.
Captain sonor in the top 100
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2964 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:43 pm

Post by chamber »

I admit I haven't played everygame in the top 100. I -hate- some games in the top 100. (dead of winter to name 1). Its worse than all of the ones I've played or seen played. That includes captain sonor.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2965 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Post by implosion »

I think the only opinion that I haven't heard anyone (other than myself) have about roll vs race is a lack thereof. IMO they both have their strengths. Roll is a bit easier to pick up because it has fewer symbols, it makes more sense or is streamlined in certain ways (having produce come before ship, having military not be a completely separate mechanic), it has more variety in the early game because you get two starting things instead of one (and most of the double-size starting tiles have much more interesting abilities than the starting worlds from race), and there's just the raw satisfaction of rolling a bunch of dice when you go mass settling.

Race has by far the better 2 player setup, which is probably the biggest thing it has going for it imo. It also gives you a fair bit more choice since you get to cycle through a lot more cards than you get to cycle tiles in roll. Roll moves most of the strategy from which cards do you keep/go for into which way do i arrange these dice. As a result roll has a little bit more player interaction in the sense that you have to think a bit more about which phases are likely to be played by others - in race, the most this usually boils down to is something like "should I develop this expensive thing that I really want out soon that means that I won't be able to settle if someone else picks it, or should I explore this turn so that I get more cards so that I'll have enough to both develop and settle if they're both played?" And there's really no way to predict if someone else is going to settle most of the time. It's a crapshoot because it's based on what they've drawn, which you have no information over. Maybe they've been settling a lot because they have replicant robots, but they just got the perfect 6-cost development. Roll gives you that information in the form of what things people have queued up (to see if they might develop/settle), how many dice they have in their citizenry and whether they're low on things to develop/settle (to see if they might explore), and what planets they've settled/what goods are on those (to see if they might produce/ship).

I have more to say about this than I thought I would tbh

I still play race for the galaxy a fair bit with one friend online since it's on BGA, but I only own roll. A friend had race in college but somehow that copy was lost to the ages some time senior year.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #2966 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 2928, zoraster wrote:Looking for a suggestion for my family's yearly week long vacation. Need to add a
5 player game
(6 players is also great, but 5 is our most normal number of players). We play a lot of board games while on vacation, but it's been sort of particular on what games have found major success.
As long as you have a table for it, Galaxy Trucker is perfect. You need the first expansion to play 5p, but you may as well get the whole big box, it's all great.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2967 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i prefer roll to race fwiw
green shirt thursdays
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #2968 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:04 pm

Post by KittyMo »

In post 2953, hiplop wrote:lld bring that game that allowed me to bully pablito next time and ill be a very happy boy
Shadow Hunters?
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2969 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 2964, chamber wrote:I admit I haven't played everygame in the top 100. I -hate- some games in the top 100. (dead of winter to name 1). Its worse than all of the ones I've played or seen played. That includes captain sonor.
I've only played 16 of them and have only seen like 10 more (with varying levels of me actually paying attention) and I can say for certain that I don't think castles of burgundy is even remotely close to the worst game in the top 100.

I like it better than Arkham Horror card game, captain sonor, base pandemic, dead of winter maybe (had one awful experience and 1 p good one with this game but it has potential for me to hate), and I'm fairly certain I'd like it better than Dominion, legendary:alien, and Clank (not a deck builder guy and despite liking legendary marvel, I didn't like it as much as castles); trajan didn't look appetizing cause the rondel is bizarre; ti3, eclipse, and Terra mystica don't seen like my kind of games(long and complicated).

It's probably not a top 10 game that i've played (I've probably only played like 50) but it's probably comfortably in the top half.

Edit: massive underestimate of the games I've played, whoops.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2970 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:30 pm

Post by PJ. »

Deep dove to figure out how many games I've played. I got to exactly 100, but I'm probably forgetting some also some are stretch, like monopoly.

I am fairly certain that castles is in my top 50 if not my top 25.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #2971 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:47 pm

In post 2955, inspiratieloos wrote:
In post 2948, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:Highly recommend that if you buy Escape you at MINIMUM buy Curses and Treasures, but the big box actually is the best value for sure.
Pretty sure Curses and Treasures are included in the base game. But yeah, Escape is great.
Is it? I just bought the big box and never looked back, lmao

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2972 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Post by Chickadee »

All my friends that went to Gen Con are back. Should be lots of new games to play this week. I'm super excited. One of my friends, whoo has exclusive copies of seemingly everything has The Expanse, and he's looking to play it tomorrow. I'll at least watch, if not jump in on that. There's only something like 60 copies in the world.
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2973 (ISO) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:43 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 2966, hitogoroshi wrote:
5 player game
As long as you have a table for it, Galaxy Trucker is perfect. You need the first expansion to play 5p, but you may as well get the whole big box, it's all great.

Seems big enough probably? Only played Galaxy Trucker once and many years ago, but I'm not sure if the older people would love the real time nature (as I recall it)
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #2974 (ISO) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:44 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

Cosmic Encounter is great

Return to “The Arcade”