Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2449 (isolation #0) » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:01 am

Post by Rhinox »

Are there any ways to legally start watching GoT besides subscribing to HBO or buying the DVDs?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2461 (isolation #1) » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:03 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 646, Rhinox wrote:Just finished reading :(. Roughly 3 months and a week to read all 5 books. Now what am I going to do with my life?
Oh right, now I have 30 episodes to watch before the next season starts :)

Should be getting HBO within the next couple weeks. Gonna try to see if directv will hook me up with a trial or a reduced price when my contract is up.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2463 (isolation #2) » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:27 am

Post by Rhinox »

Nah... I need to refresh my DVR movie collection anyways from the last time I had the premium channels. Besides, full HD + surround sound on my 60" flatscreen is a much better viewing experience than whatever quality I can find on pirate bay or wherever and watching on my computer monitor :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2465 (isolation #3) » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:25 am

Post by Rhinox »

What about the audio? Was it at least 5.1?

Seems like I can get at least 6 months of HBO for the cost of buying all 3 seasons on DVD/bluray...

I appreciate the suggestions but I wasn't really looking for an alternative to HBO. I'm getting it, just leveraging my contract position with directv to try to get it for free/reduced price rather than full price. I will get more out of HBO than just watching GoT, and then I'll be able to watch the next season as it airs as well.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2466 (isolation #4) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:22 am

Post by Rhinox »

This Game of Thrones show turned out to be pretty decent. Each season has gotten progressively better IMO. Still got a few episodes left in season 3 before I'm caught up. My favorite episode (so far) was when Dany got her unsullied army.

My wife's been watching with me (she hasn't read the books), and she's been complaining about being a little lost and the show being a little slow at times. She's having a little troubling keeping track of who all the characters are. She also complains about how every time she finally figures out who a character is they get killed off, which makes me chuckle inside a little bit.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2467 (isolation #5) » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:03 am

Post by Rhinox »

finished the last 3 episodes last night...

ALL THE FEELS :(

I was fighting back tears the entire Rains of Castamere episode trying hard to not give anything away for my wife. I think its harder to watch knowing what is about to happen.

GEE how can we make the RW even more sadder and shocking than the book? OH IDK how about we make Robb's wife pregnant and kill her off too!

My wife was royally pissed off by it which I knew would happen. She got even more pissed and almost stopped watching entirely after Ygritte shot Jon because she thought he was gonna die too. Basically the same reaction I had when I got to that part in the books, where I almost stopped reading because it was all so depressing and pointless. I wanted to tell her it gets less depressing soon, but she'll have to read the books or wait.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2479 (isolation #6) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:16 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 2478, Venmar wrote:I read the whole third book, and I don't think
Jaime got a prosthetic hand? Or did I somehow miss that, I know he considered it in reference to the dead city watch captain's hand, but I don't think he actually got one.

Also Jon never swordfighted in the battle of Castle Black like the trailer portrayed, Jon was an archer due to his bad leg. Also Allister Thorne was not at Castle Black AT ALL at that point in the story, he came after the battle not before. (thought maybe he's replacing the one armed smith, idk)
First part:
I don't know which book it happened in or how spoiler free you try to be so I'll just say keep reading.

Second part: small details like that not really a big deal. They've already shown they can deviate from the cannon details at different points but still generally get the same idea as the book / come back to the same place story-wise.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2481 (isolation #7) » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:28 am

Post by Rhinox »

so I asked my family to get me Game of Thrones on bluray for christmas, and ultimately* I ended up with the first season special edition bluray set with a nice box and a dragon egg paperweight. The dragon egg is actually pretty sweet

*Originally my little bro could only find the DVD of season 1 not the blu ray so I returned it so I could exchange it for the blu ray and the normal edition was sold out so my only choice was the special edition.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2486 (isolation #8) » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:32 am

Post by Rhinox »

YESSSSS
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2488 (isolation #9) » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:02 am

Post by Rhinox »

I don't recall seeing Tyrion's dick. Only Theon's, and I'm quite sure we won't be seeing it again any time soon.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2490 (isolation #10) » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:40 am

Post by Rhinox »

Oh right, how could I have forgot!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2501 (isolation #11) » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:26 am

Post by Rhinox »

OMG ITS TONIGHT
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2635 (isolation #12) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:01 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 2602, Tierce wrote:Commentary by Alex Graves on a certain scene in tonight's episode:
"Well, it becomes consensual by the end, because anything for them ultimately results in a turn-on, especially a power struggle."

There are no words in English that can properly convey how pissed off I am about this. Do you want to destroy Jaime's redemption arc? Fine, but
call it what it is
. NCW knew
exactly
what his character was doing, he mentioned a while back that Jaime did something terrible in this season, so how come the director is so blind he doesn't notice that that scene is
not
how consensual sex works?

Goddammit. On my favorite TV show no less.
I'm pretty sure it was as much rape in the books as it was in the show:

Spoiler: Book Text
She kissed him. A light kiss, the merest brush of her lips on his, but he could feel her tremble as he slid his arms around her. “I am not whole without you.”

There was no tenderness in the kiss he returned to her, only hunger. Her mouth opened for his tongue.
“No,” she said weakly when his lips moved down her neck, “not here. The septons…”

“The Others can take the septons.” He kissed her again, kissed her silent, kissed her until she moaned. Then he knocked the candles aside and lifted her up onto the Mother’s altar, pushing up her skirts and the silken shift beneath.
She pounded on his chest with feeble fists, murmuring about the risk, the danger, about their father, about the septons, about the wrath of gods. He never heard her.
He undid his breeches and climbed up and pushed her bare white legs apart. One hand slid up her thigh and underneath her smallclothes. When he tore them away, he saw that her moon’s blood was on her, but it made no difference.

Just because she gives in in the next paragraph doesn't make it any less rapey in the book. show!Cersei also started willingly making out with show!Jamie so I definitely got the idea that some part of her wanted to have sex with Jamie, even if it absolutely was rape.

I don't see how this was much different than Dany's rape in the first season/book by drogo. In the book, she even says yes after she eventually gives in, while in the show she just sobs and cries the whole time. Book or show was clearly rape (just as this scene was), but the show was even more explicit/shocking (just as this scene was).

I guess I don't understand why this particular scene is so triggering but not the Dany rape scene in the very first episode of the series. If it is more the Director commentary, well I read your link and understand why you would react how you did to that particular comment, but I also found a hollywood reporter article with some of Alex Graves' comments:

linky
excerpt wrote:
She's a wreck. Tywin is really going on about this historical stuff, and you slowly start to go, "He's kidnapping her only boy," because she's not going to have him anymore. And then he succeeds, and
then Jaime comes in and he rapes her. That was like -- you read the scene and go, "Wait, who's directing this?" I'm never that excited about going to film forced sex.
But the whole thing for me was about dead Joffrey lying there, watching the whole thing. (Showrunners) David (Benioff) and Dan (Weiss) loved that, and I was like, I wanted to make sure I had Jack in there as much as I could.
Of course Lena and Nickola laughed every time I would say, "You grab her by the hair, and Jack is right there," or "You come around this way and Jack is right there."
So, I don't really get a sense of
In post 2606, Tierce wrote:an undertone of "the director thought that it wasn't rape even though he's aware that the whole scene made everyone involved uncomfortable".
at all from these comments. Probably best to reserve judgment until we've heard comments directly from Graves himself, and not make snap judgments based on 3rd hand info from 1 or 2 internet website articles.

And I also found another article with some of NCW's commentary:

linky again
excerpt wrote:
So is it rape?

“Yes, and no,” says Coster-Waldau. “There are moments where she gives in, and moments where she pushes him away. But it’s not pretty.

He adds, “It’s going to be interesting what people think about it.”

before you react, here's the whole context:
full excerpt wrote:
“It was tough to shoot, as well,” says Coster-Waldau. “There is significance in that scene, and it comes straight from the books—it’s George R.R. Martin’s mind at play.
It took me awhile to wrap my head around it, because I think that, for some people, it’s just going to look like rape. The intention is that it’s not just that; it’s about two people who’ve had this connection for so many years, and much of it is physical, and much of it has had to be kept secret, and this is almost the last thing left now. It’s him trying to force her back and make him whole again because of his stupid hand.”

<snip>

So is it rape?

“Yes, and no,” says Coster-Waldau. “There are moments where she gives in, and moments where she pushes him away. But it’s not pretty.

He adds, “It’s going to be interesting what people think about it.”
So, I don't really see anyone not calling it rape, even if Cersei "gives in" at any point. If some website would have just quoted the part I did in the partial excerpt, it probably would have got the same reaction. I don't really understand the anger at this scene, or surprise at shock value. I mean, by season 4 people should generally expect this kind of stuff from GoT right?

If anything, I think the failure of the scene was in either the acting or directing to better communicate just how much cersei was actually "giving in" while being raped, but the scene was always rape. I always interpretted the book scene as rape as well. Actually, the book was even more "It's not rape because she wanted it" than the filmed show scene was. Same with the Dany book scene. IMO, the show should get credit for making rape look like rape and be uncomfortable where the book is more ambiguous about it.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2636 (isolation #13) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:02 am

Post by Rhinox »

I guess basically I just said a lot of what anix just said in more words
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2709 (isolation #14) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 2702, ChannelDelibird wrote:Jaime/Cersei original shoot script leaked

http://imgur.com/gallery/9iCHB/
lolz
In post 2698, xRECKONERx wrote:I'm more talking about the fact that we get tits and vag and female nudity every goddamn episode and the amount of male nudity is, I think, 2-3 times the entire show for a brief moment?
In post 2699, Venmar wrote:Well, generally, even for HBO, female nudity is viewed as more okay (acceptable, maybe?) than male nudity, for some reason I think. Though I wouldn't complain if I got to see some Jaime cock.
Well to be fair there is probably equal if not more male chest than female chest shown, and as for the P vs V argument, I'd argue that more P than V has been shown, as HBO full frontal female doesn't usually actually show much if any of the female organ at all. At best it would be like just a part of the slit usually obscurred. With full frontal male, you pretty much get to see all there is to see, so if you got to see 1 cock, you're technically winning :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2714 (isolation #15) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:26 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 2710, Tierce wrote:Your argument is disingenuous, Rhinox. As long as they make warnings for female nudity when you see a naked female, as long as that keeps being censored, and as long as a crotch is a sexual image--it doesn't matter if you don't technically see her vulva.
You're dwelling on technicalities to make a silly argument when it's obvious that it's a skewed ratio.
Umm yeah I thought it was pretty obviously just a silly argument :-P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2756 (isolation #16) » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:29 am

Post by Rhinox »

Idk I think the bran stuff even in the book is probably important even if its kinda boring at times. I was never really bored with his book scenes like others were though. I think probably they just need to keep showing him to remind viewers about him and the fact that he's probably going to be important sooner or later, even if it means inventing some plot for him to do. *UPCOMING PLOT*
otherwise we'd probably be done with him this season. Next important event for bran is meeting up with coldhands and heading north right? That's probably early next season stuff at the earliest.
Besides, we've already had one stark kid disappear from the plot.
In post 2751, xRECKONERx wrote:Also holy shit, can I just say I
hate
the WHO WILL GO ON THIS EPIC QUEST trope where instead of doing something rational, the volunteer goes, "Okay, I could raise my hand or shout out that I'm in... nah, I know, I'll STAND UP SLOWLY AND DRAMATICALLY AND SILENTLY TO SHOW MY SUPPORT!" That whole scene at the Wall was gross. Kit Harrington has gotten better but he is still kind of boring to watch, and he's not exactly surrounded by compelling characters or actors. Please god, let *BOOK 3 SPOILER*
Stannis the Mannis arrive sooner rather than later to inject some flavor into that whole situation up there
Well it was corny but the whole point is to set up *UPCOMING PLOT*
Jon eventually becoming Lord Commander. They're just showing how much respect and influence Jon is gaining.

Also, wasn't the Locke? character (the new recruit at the wall that befriends Jon) the same guy
that was with the Boltons, and cut off Jaime's hand? That is off book as well, isn't it? I guess he will probably try to kill Jon during the attack on crasters. They kinda alluded to something like that happening with the short clip with the Boltons in the "previously on..." segment.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2801 (isolation #17) » Mon May 05, 2014 6:37 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 2800, xRECKONERx wrote:Watching Hodor straight up break Locke's neck was fantastic;
<snip>
(Nobody fucks with my Hodor; NOBODY!)
That was really warg!Bran tho
In post 2800, xRECKONERx wrote:Cersei's scenes trying to manipulate the judges were great (Margaery's scene was acted perfectly by both Lena Headey and Natalie Dormer).
ooooooh right :idea: Thats what was going on there. Tyrell and Martell are judges also. derp. I was wondering what was going on with cersei that episode, especially the being nice to Margaery part.

One thing thats starting to kind of bug me is the whole "slice Bran's leg to remind us / prove to someone he's paralyzed" bit - I mean, he might not be able to feel anything, but no one is treating those cuts and they would be bound to get infected.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2806 (isolation #18) » Tue May 06, 2014 3:47 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 2802, Seacore wrote:I don't think Locke would be too concerned with infection.
In post 2804, Venmar wrote:Locke cut brans leg to see if he was crippled, and as a result actually Bran Stark, not for fun or to infect him.
umm I know?? I'm not talking about Locke, I'm talking about it just being a device used by the writers to show someone or the viewers bran is crippled. Just because Bran can't feel the injury doesn't mean that getting his leg gashed open wouldn't be a serious wound in the world of GoT. This is at least the 2nd time his leg has been sliced open (that I remember, there probably were more) and the wounds have been more than just scratches. Nearly every other time a character gets a cut in the series it is major - some characters die from the infection, others survive after being treated by maesters or pouring boiling wine on the wound. But bran is crippled and can't feel pain so he can get cut and won't bleed out or get infected, its all good.
(and since it seems to be missed, this wasn't an entirely serious point anyways :p)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2850 (isolation #19) » Tue May 20, 2014 3:46 am

Post by Rhinox »

Yeah I was thinking that scene basically confirms it was Emilia Clarke who was the actress refusing to do any more nude scenes from that article last year. That was probably the first completely off-screen sex scene in the whole show, wasn't it?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2915 (isolation #20) » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:16 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 2910, xRECKONERx wrote:Visually and technically, it was masterful.
There was a very impressive 1 take shot that started as soon as jon came down off the wall and continued for a good 30 seconds at least panning around the entire set. I love watching for those kinds of shots in TV shows and especially movies. They're my favorite.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3015 (isolation #21) » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:10 am

Post by Rhinox »

I read the books before I watched the show and it took me a while to really get into it. I don't know what it was about the first season, if it was that I knew everything that was coming or I was trying to work out how the characters I created in my head while reading matched the show characters, or if it was just the lower budget campy feel or the poorer acting 1-dimensional characters (both comparatively to the later seasons) but I remember when I got through season 1 I remember thinking that the show wasn't nearly as good as people were making it out to be. Seasons 2 and 3 were what sold it for me as the characters were developed more and became less 1-dimensional. Now when I go back and rewatch season 1 I appreciate it a lot more than the first time I watched it.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3018 (isolation #22) » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:32 am

Post by Rhinox »

Not sure if anyone else heard this yet:

Spoiler:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/0 ... 61430.html

apparently Bran and Hodor are getting season 5 off.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3062 (isolation #23) » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:22 am

Post by Rhinox »

April 12th!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3064 (isolation #24) » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:27 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3063, Aeronaut wrote:It's ironic because winter is actually
leaving

depends on where you live :cool:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3221 (isolation #25) » Fri May 01, 2015 3:51 am

Post by Rhinox »

That should really not be in this thread JH

go talk about that here: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27179
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3230 (isolation #26) » Sun May 03, 2015 3:02 pm

Post by Rhinox »

OH MY GOD
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3240 (isolation #27) » Mon May 04, 2015 4:13 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3237, xRECKONERx wrote:R+L=J confirmed last night for any keen watchers

Spoiler: R+L=J commentary from last episode
As soon as they showed Ned and Robert in the crypts at winterfell from season 1 in the "previously on..." I knew it was happening and started getting all excited! Then there was Stannis being all "That's not Ned's way" and Littlefinger telling Sansa about the tourney at harrenhall. I'm watching with my wife who is unsullied and she didn't understand why I got so excited at just the preview and it was hard not to spoil anything, but I kinda feel like my wife won't really care as much about the revelation in/when it is confirmed as me. The show is clearly setting it up, but hasn't yet touched on why anyone should care if Ned isn't Jon's father and what that might mean going further.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3247 (isolation #28) » Mon May 04, 2015 8:09 am

Post by Rhinox »

When Barriston and Dany were talking about Rhegar and Barriston left for a walk, I was thinking that if I didn't know any better, Barriston was not going to be making it back from that walk alive. SURPRISE!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3255 (isolation #29) » Wed May 06, 2015 10:15 am

Post by Rhinox »

Spoiler: 5.04 recap

source
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3275 (isolation #30) » Mon May 11, 2015 6:51 am

Post by Rhinox »

Honestly this season just feels like D&D hated aFfC/aDwD and are just trying to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible without worrying about what happens in between. We're getting 2 books worth of plot in 10 episodes. They'll be at least 20 episodes for the final 2 books and while D&D are on record saying the only want the series to last 7 seasons, HBO execs are also on record claiming they want GOT to last 10 seasons. I don't know how they get to 10 but the point is that this season is all about setting up and getting to a point to start the end game. I just hope GRRM gets The Winds of Winter out before season 6 like he hopes >.>
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3278 (isolation #31) » Mon May 11, 2015 7:44 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3277, xRECKONERx wrote:Didn't GRRM already say TWOW won't come out this year? So, I guess you can hope he gets it out in the first 3 months of 2016.

I did hear no TWOW in 2015 but I also heard GRRM hopes to have it done by/around season 6 of GOT.

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/04/03/ge ... -season-6/

But, "I'll believe it when I see it" is probably the best grain of salt to take that with.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3288 (isolation #32) » Mon May 11, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3284, Iecerint wrote:There's a plot-hole right now with Stannis using red magic to kill Balon way back in Season 3, which admittedly is long enough ago to drop if they want, but I think they can make space if they want to.

Speculation: I'm pretty sure in the books it is hinted that Balon is actually killed by
a faceless man.
Can you think of any reason why they would wait to show that until after season 5? ;-)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3361 (isolation #33) » Sat May 16, 2015 4:08 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3358, Iecerint wrote:It looks like Sam's plotline
about going to the Citadel
is probably cut.

They've been foreshadowing oldtown pretty heavily I'd expect sam to head there by the end of the season but not get there til next
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3392 (isolation #34) » Mon May 18, 2015 4:37 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3385, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 3382, Iecerint wrote:Theon needs character development if he's going to do anything novel.

If he had intervened in that scene, for example, it would have broken my suspension of disbelief.

Yes, having Theon be reawoken by seeing a Stark, and feeling remorse for what he did... that wouldn't be enough.
Clearly, watching his childhood friend get raped is the only way to advance HIS story! Let's make sure Sansa's agency and her RAPE at the hands of Ramsay serve Theon's story!

But in the books
Theon's story WAS advanced because of pretty much this same scenario, except it was Jeyne Poole instead of Sansa.
So Theon's story at this point is still going pretty much by the book.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3394 (isolation #35) » Mon May 18, 2015 4:49 am

Post by Rhinox »

Theon is no man.

probably not the best time to make a joke >.>
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3410 (isolation #36) » Mon May 18, 2015 8:18 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3402, Iecerint wrote:I think part of the reasoning here is that Sophie Turner doesn't want to be too naked and stuff, but ye know.

I can't say if she is or isn't ok with getting naked on film herself personally, but she has defended nudity in the show: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/game ... ll-5173911
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3428 (isolation #37) » Mon May 18, 2015 9:16 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3414, xRECKONERx wrote:Man, you know how they could've completely fixed that rape scene?

Have the Myranda/Sansa bathing scene happen immediately afterwards, instead of before.

That way, we see the horrific thing, we see her go through it... then we see this scene with Myranda, where she tries to torment her, and in the face of what has happened, we see Sansa stand strong and say "nothing can hurt me". BOOM. Get fucked owned.

Instead, we just remove all the badass agency she had in the bathing scene with a rape.

I'm just going to pretend it was edited the wrong way now.

That's pretty good. Although that's not to say something like that won't be coming in the next episode. I hope this isn't going to be another 4 episodes of sansa being a victim until she goes and lights a candle and gets rescued or whatever.

I was actually expecting or hoping they were going to flip the scene entirely. Set it up with Ramsay telling Reek to stay and make us all think oh shit and then Sansa actually talks to Ramsay/manipulates him, convinces him to send reek out, and then takes the dominant position in the scene for the rest. To build upon the "Make this Bolton boy yours" conversation with Littlefinger. Even if they film it as if Ramsay is just entertained by it and plays along, or even if it didn't work and Ramsay did what he was going to do anyways. For me, it didn't make sense for Sansa to be standing there just petrified. She had to have been starting to think Ramsay was a bit fucked up but he hadn't really given her reason to be afraid of him. She really knows nothing about him other than how he treated Theon and what the scorned girlfriend said. She had to have known and expected that she was going to have to have sex with this guy, from back in Moat Caitlin when Littlefinger told her the plan. She decided to continue on, she wasn't forced to continue to winterfell (maybe she would have been if she said no, but that's not what happened). I'm sure she knew exactly what was going to happen when she was talking with Littlefinger in the crypts and said "I expect I'll be a married woman when you return". She knew exactly what that meant. After Littlefinger left I'll buy that she no longer had a choice in anything and I'm in no way trying to say it wasn't rape, only that up until she got in the room and Ramsay told Theon to stay she knew and went along with exactly what was going to be expected of her in this plan of her getting married to Ramsay. It bothered me most that Sansa didn't try to reason with Ramsay at all. That was the big missed opportunity in the whole situation IMO. It made it seem like Sansa was just upset that this was all going to happen in front of theon and that she just instantly realized how fucked up Ramsay really is, because she walked into that room knowing and expecting to have to have sex with Ramsay.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3430 (isolation #38) » Mon May 18, 2015 9:56 am

Post by Rhinox »

:roll:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3431 (isolation #39) » Mon May 18, 2015 10:00 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3429, AngryPidgeon wrote:Nope. Nope. Nope.

That was the end of the line.

This is the point of no return in this discussion and it just happened.

Abandon ship.

I genuinely want to know what you think is wrong with what I said?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3436 (isolation #40) » Mon May 18, 2015 10:25 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3432, Iecerint wrote:I think he is inferring that you are blaming Sansa for being raped because she did not resist.

I think your intent is more that we have been groomed for 1.5 seasons now to see Sansa as someone with guile, so seeing her end up in the same situation again is really disappointing, especially when there were lots of other narrative choices that would have made it different.

This is correct. I'm not blaming Sansa at all. I'm blaming the writers. I'm saying that it didn't make sense for them to write it that way because it seemed out of character for ShowSansa to not have said anything if we're supposed to believe she's had any character development at all up til now. We're led to believe she's supposed to be trying to manipulate Ramsay through her conversations with Littlefinger, but then they don't show her as even trying to do that. Instead, it reminded me of the scene after she married Tyrion, like she hasn't grown at all as a character from that point til now. It took me out of the scene completely.

In post 3434, AngryPidgeon wrote:
In post 3428, Rhinox wrote:She had to have known and expected that she was going to have to have sex with this guy, from back in Moat Caitlin when Littlefinger told her the plan.

Because this is passively suggesting that its ok for this to happen because Sansa was expecting it.

"But AP, that isn't my point"

Well then make better posts.

So basically you're just jumping at something to score some rhetorical cred even though you already know that wasn't what I was saying at all? Cool, thanks for commenting.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3437 (isolation #41) » Mon May 18, 2015 10:30 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3433, Iecerint wrote:Something to consider is that she was still, ye know, a virgin. First time is always a little awkward, even after you've decided to manipulate everyone.

In post 3435, Iecerint wrote:He is saying that he expected Sansa to go in with a plan, because the writers have been presenting her as someone who is learning to plan and scheme.

But she didn't, because she needs Theon to rescue her or whatever.

In-universe, she underestimated how awkward her first time would be and didn't account for Theon watching.

Yeah this. I just think it is a failure of the writers to show sansa controlling (or attempting to control) a situation we all thought was going to go, well, exactly the way it did.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3460 (isolation #42) » Tue May 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3465 (isolation #43) » Sun May 24, 2015 3:24 pm

Post by Rhinox »

This season has been incredibly underwhelming and disappointing :cry:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3474 (isolation #44) » Tue May 26, 2015 4:45 am

Post by Rhinox »

This season just does not seem to have any gravitas, IMO. There's no drama, no sense of action rising towards a climax, no crescendo, no anticipation, etc. I know pretty much whats coming in the next 3 episodes as far as the major points that are supposed to be climax points to the story, but the problem is the show has not done a very good job building up to those moments. Many of the plot lines just feel like wasting time until its time to have the big moment - but in doing so, its going to completely subdue the effect of the big moments IMO. I don't remember this being a problem in past seasons, even when I also knew what was coming.

Dorne really is the most disappointing. I mean, even set aside the poorly written dialog and the not up to GOT standards acting and just outline what has happened in Dorne - Bronn and Jamie sail to Dorne, steal a couple horses, ride to the Water Gardens and attempt to take back Myrcella, only to fail and get arrested. Meanwhile, we are introduced to the Sand Snakes, and Obara sends them to Kill Mycella where they also fail and get arrested. That, all stretched out over 7 episodes, doesn't feel like 7 episodes of plot. It might have been alright if it had been better written and used all that time to develop characters a little better, but it wasn't.

(And the opening credits still bug me - "Winterfell", "King's Landing", "Braavos", "Meereen", "DORNE". Dorne is a whole kingdom, not a city, castle, or single point on the map >.>. It's not only disrespectful to Dorne of the books, but also completely insulting to the viewers)

Contrast the Dorne plotline with the Journey of Tyrion. Tyrion and Varys arrive in Pentos. They travel from Pentos to Volantis by carraige, where Tyrion is abducted in a brothel by Jorah. Tyrion and Jorah sail through Valyria where they are attacked by stone men and Jorah becomes infected. Afterwards, they are both abducted by slavers, sailed to Meereen, and sold to the fighting pits of Meereen, where they meet Dany. This is a ton of plot for 7 episodes. So much plot that it was poorly developed along the way. It was like a checklist of things to do in order to get Tyrion and Jorah to Dany.

The comparison of these 2 storylines just show the problem this season has with inconsistent pacing which just drains all the air out of everything. But whats worse is that the acting is so much worse this season than in past seasons. There are some well acted moments but they are very few and far between. That Stannis and Shireen scene earier on was great. Theon's actor is absolutely killing it as Reek. Doran is good, for like the 10 seconds of screen time he's had. But the majority of whats going on is very flat. It all goes back to poor writing. And that likely comes from the fact that so much is off-book. D&D really have shown they're not very good at inventing their own stuff for GoT. And it doesn't help that they seem to think that people won't notice or care as long as there's SHOCK and DRAGONS
(and RAPE, apparently)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3495 (isolation #45) » Sun May 31, 2015 3:17 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Wow. Best episode of the season easy! Looks like this season may finish strong, thankfully.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3501 (isolation #46) » Sun May 31, 2015 4:26 pm

Post by Rhinox »

The foreshadowing for olly doing the thing has been incredibly heavy handed, yes.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3527 (isolation #47) » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:14 am

Post by Rhinox »

I liked the fight at the wall last season as well. edit: I liked Hardhome more, tho

I'm probably most pleasantly surprised about the fact that the whole hardhome thing is pretty much a D&D creation and not something that happened in the books. Its the first real deviation that doesn't feel like something lesser than the source material, IMO.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3533 (isolation #48) » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:44 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3531, Aeronaut wrote:I really liked it when Ramsay said "A feast for crows"

That line was kinda cringeworthy for me, actually.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3542 (isolation #49) » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:21 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3540, Faraday wrote:
In post 3533, Rhinox wrote:
In post 3531, Aeronaut wrote:I really liked it when Ramsay said "A feast for crows"

That line was kinda cringeworthy for me, actually.

at least he's not BREAKING THE WHEEL or w/e that was :igmeou:

Yeah they were both kinda cringe inducing dialogues. But at least Daeny's line made sense in the context of the story, whereas Ramsay's line was just shoehorned in there to force a reference to the title of the book in a way that completely misses the point of what the actual "feast for crows" really was.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3553 (isolation #50) » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:07 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3551, AniX wrote:Normally I'm in a cage of rage when the show diverts from the books, but this was actually pretty alright with me, because it wasn't really spoiling anything. We already know the White Walkers are amassing a zombie army in the books. We already know they are dangerous. We gain no new information from this episode than we did from the books at the same point in Jon's story, except we get a fight scene that plays really well on TV.

Well we did learn that
Valyrian steel does in fact kill Others;
which has only been hinted at in the books and not yet confirmed.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3568 (isolation #51) » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Post by Rhinox »

:eek:

Speechless...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3693 (isolation #52) » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by Rhinox »

That was... underwhelming. I feel like I've used that word to describe episodes this season before.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3704 (isolation #53) » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:26 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3702, Aeronaut wrote:Really just watching for Tyrion at this point

Tyrion speaking valyrian was lolzy

In post 3703, eyestott wrote:I really enjoyed this episode actually
It became a game at one point
Who's gonna die in this scene?
When it got to dorne, and Sand kissed Mercella, I was all like "ITS POISON" but my sister and brother were like "don't be stupid"
Nek minnit

Even this "payoff" to the dorne plot is stupid. Trystane was already being willingly sent off to be a hostage. Now he's probably going to be executed. Is ellaria just trying to start a war then and doesn't care if the heir of dorne is lost? That might make a sliver of sense if it were ARIANNA doing these things...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3739 (isolation #54) » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:10 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3735, RichardGHP wrote:I kind of feel like they didn't really lay the ground work for that in the show, though.

Yeah, but this season proved they don't really care about laying ground work for pretty much anything.

All they need to do is show Beric Dondarrion coming back to life in "Previously on..." and there you go. Ground work. :igmeou:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3752 (isolation #55) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:06 am

Post by Rhinox »

so... 5 more days...

hype?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3758 (isolation #56) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:24 am

Post by Rhinox »

I'm just finishing up my annual series re-watch. 9.5 episodes through season 5, its still p. bad, but for some reason doesn't seem as bad as the first go round. Idk. Expectations for S6 are definitely lowered though haha.

As for finding out plot points on the show first, that might be a benefit for the enjoyability of the show. I watched movies adapted from books that get universally panned, mostly for "not following the source material", that I enjoyed on first watch only to find out later its actually terrible after seeing how much better the source material is. The last airbender and Seventh Son are 2 horrible movies. I liked airbender at first then hated it only after watching the series. I hated seventh son because I read the books first. I've never felt that watching the show/movie first has ruined a book I've later read though, so I'm not too worried about the show ruining winds.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3763 (isolation #57) » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:50 pm

Post by Rhinox »

was ok. Nothing earth shattering.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3776 (isolation #58) » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:18 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3775, Glork wrote:Slept on it. Woke up with one prevailing thought:
Leading up to Melisandre giving her life to bring back her son from the dead.

huh? Are you saying that
Jon Snow is Melisandre's son? Because I can see her giving her life to bring snow back. Or are you thinking we're going to see the shadow baby "son" again? I'm confused..

---

I'm just a little disappointed that so little plot was furthered. It was basically one big establishing shot. I know its kinda like this every season but I wish they didn't waste like 10% of the season doing not much more than reminding us where everyone is and what the state of things is.

I'm also a little confused about
trystane. Wasn't he on the boat to king's landing with Myrcella and Jamie to go sit on the small council? At the end of last season, ellaria and the 3 sand snakes were all on the dock when Myrcella was dying on the boat. When Trystane got the spear through his head he was painting rocks to cover someone's eyes. And it looked like he was on a ship. So where was he, and who's rocks was he painting?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3797 (isolation #59) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:25 am

Post by Rhinox »

hmm I wonder if there might be any targaryens out there who might swoop in at the right time to settle this issue ;)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3798 (isolation #60) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:34 am

Post by Rhinox »

Serious answer: on the show at least, there is also the Tyrells. Margaery is queen and there is a chance she is already carrying Tommen's heir.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3800 (isolation #61) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:36 am

Post by Rhinox »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gam ... 9df6a9ff65

Teleporting sand snakes confirmed. Watch out rest of westeros. Where will they pop up next!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3803 (isolation #62) » Sun May 01, 2016 3:13 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Much much better episode! Game of thrones is back!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3807 (isolation #63) » Mon May 02, 2016 7:53 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3805, Gorkington wrote:i thought it was actually terrible
:/

There were plenty of episode over the past season and a half that I wouldn't argue with calling terrible, but IMO this was probably the best episode easily since somewhere in early season 4. And I'd be saying this even without the last scene. Sure, some of the stuff that happened was pretty heavy handed with the foreshadowing. Particularly the Bolton stuff. But overall, it just seems like maybe, just maybe, the show is getting back on track. I'm excited about where most of the storylines are headed. All the contrivances of season 4 and 5 seem to be ultimately leading to the same spot the books ended up at by the end of dance. It feels like old game of thrones again. Like if you cut out the worst parts of season 4 and most of season 5 and pretend they never happened, this episode was right there with season 2/3 in terms of quality. Going to take more than 1 solid episode to win back some jaded fans though, probably. I did feel like the
jon snow revival stuff
was probably the weakest part of the episode tho. But the final shot was good. And the next weeks preview looks good too.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3816 (isolation #64) » Tue May 03, 2016 3:19 am

Post by Rhinox »

Its not even about whether the show follows the books or not, for me. The show writers started getting lazy in season 4 and completely phoned it in in season 5. It seemed to be all about the big moments they wanted to happen, but there wasn't any substance in between to develop and bring significance to those moments. Season 1 wasn't even my favorite. I read the books for the first time between season 3 and season 4, and then started watching the show to catch up after finishing the books. I'd heard about how great the show was and I loved the books, and then starting with season 1 when I did I just wasn't sure about it until about half way through the season. Felt very campy. Obviously lower budget than now. All the characters seemed overacted.. kinda soapish I guess, and it took a while before I could connect the characters on screen to the characters I'd just finished reading. For me, the show built in quality over the first 3 seasons, leveled off and started to falter a bit in parts of season 4, and then dropped off a cliff in season 5. That doesn't mean I hated season 5. It was a I'm not mad, just disappointed kind of feeling. IMO anyways.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3822 (isolation #65) » Fri May 06, 2016 7:18 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3821, pirate mollie wrote:I want sansa to be the next brienne
She's more likely to be
LSH.........................
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3825 (isolation #66) » Sun May 08, 2016 3:06 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Meh...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3834 (isolation #67) » Tue May 17, 2016 4:05 am

Post by Rhinox »

Sunday's episode was very good! Some plot lines are finally building momentum instead of treading water, and some characters are starting to act like themselves again with logical, understandable motivations and everything.

Spoiler: thoughts on episode 4
Jon and sansa <3

Sansa being badass and finally being relevant as a main character again since that time she manipulated the lords of the vale

Poor Osha :(. Seems a waste to bring her back just for that. But it kind of mirrors and flips the scene where osha manipulated theon. Kind of makes you wonder if it was part of the Umbers plan, for osha to kill ramsay, and it failed. Otherwise, if the Umbers were really betraying Rickon and the starks, why bother bringing osha along at all? Why not kill her then bring rickon to ramsay? And there were much worse ways they could have off'd osha. It was refreshing to not have another gratuitous rape/torture scene.

Pink letter was good. Iron Islands was good. The reunion of theon and yara/asha went how it felt like it should have went.

Kings landing was interesting. Loras being broken and weak was a meh part of the episode seemingly forced because of the strong women theme this season seems to be playing with. Cersei finally resembles cersei again and does something to get the ball rolling down there finally. Still don't know what point Jamie's character is supposed to have this season though. They totally nuked his redemtion arc they had going starting with the kinslaying and the rape scene and then sending him off to do nothing in dorne and now this season he is not much more than a prop. Hopefully they give him something to do again soon...

The other scenes at the wall - davos remembering stannis and shireen again finally. So davos hasn't forgotten about them afterall. Now we can pretty much guess that davos will find out the truth later in the season. Likely, based on the season trailers/previews,
davos will eventually come across the pyre where shireen was burnt and likely find the carved stag thing that davos made for her that shireen was holding when she was burnt

akward conversation with brienne/davos/mel was great, brienne x tormund make it happen!

dany scenes I thought were amazing. Not how I expected her to get out of vais dothrak with command of all the khalasars. I mean, it was obvious what the outcome would be but I was expecting drogon to play a part. I've heard complaints that it was cheesy or just a copy of the season 1 dragon hatching scene or when dany got control of the unsullied, or that dany isn't supposed to be permanently fireproof because grrm said the dragon hatching was a 1 time only magical event... but I don't care, those people are dumb and this scene worked great and I love badass dany. She's been missing for a while and I'm glad she's returning.

Spoiler: thoughts on the show as a whole
I've been having this thought that the episodes don't really seem to stand on their own and seem like they'd make more sense in the netflix binge release format. I'm starting to think that more and more.

Just as 1 example: Davos and Mel. Last season when Mel burned shireen and left stannis to die and returned to the wall, davos asked about stannis and shireen and Mel didn't answer. Then season 6 starts and Davos doesn't seem to care about what happened anymore. Are we to assume he just knows and got over it? Do we assume Mel told him off screen? If so, why is Davos seemingly being so polite with Mel with all the "sorry my lady's" and what not during all the jon snow ressurection stuff. For 3 episodes, I'm basically assuming its a plot hole to completely miss how davos should be reacting to stannis dying and what happened to shireen. Then is ep4 davos has the conversation he had with mel that he probably should have been having ep1. And now we can kind of guess that at some point Davos will find out what happened. I still think its kind of poor writing or at least akward pacing for davos to suddenly remember about stannis and shireen basically a month into the new season. And I mean, it never made sense and it was never explained why davos cared so much for jon to begin with to even think about asking mel to bring him back. Davos has seen plenty of death. What attachment does he have to Jon snow? Why not be asking mel to bring back stannis? Very much plot driven motivations rather than character driven... But I digress... In terms of actual show pace, it's still only like the 3rd day after mel returned to the wall alone in s5e10. But some of the other storylines have advanced longer, possibly weeks or even months longer since the end of s5. So its very inconsistent, and I think because of that this season and probably even last season work better taken as a whole and not as their individual parts.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3836 (isolation #68) » Tue May 17, 2016 4:17 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3835, KuroiXHF wrote:Wait, you think Sansa is badass? She's done nothing but mope this entire show (except during the last episode, where she stopped for like five seconds.)
I said she was bad ass this episode (for motivating jon to fight rather than give up and the whole "if you won't help me I'll do it myself" line.) and relevant for the first time since she manipulated the lords of the vale. Not sure how you came to the conclusion you did from what I said :?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3863 (isolation #69) » Mon May 23, 2016 5:27 am

Post by Rhinox »

I feel kinda mixed about that episode.

Spoiler:
The king's moot was underwhelming. Yara and theon were ok, but Euron was disappointing. I was hoping for the dragon horn at least. Anyways, Euron won the kings moot yet somehow Yara had enough men to follow her to steal the whole fleet? k...

The wall scenes were ok even though I don't buy it at all that LF got from the vale to mole's town in 1 episode. Also, while I enjoyed Sansa putting LF in his place, seemed kinda foolish to just dismiss the entire vale army as a potential ally. Also, the decision to basically cut the riverlands out of the show after the RW seems kinda silly now that we get a random infodump about the blackfish retaking riverrun and brienne leaving sansa to head there now anyways. I will lol if this season ends with LS...

Arya's plotline finally was moving forwards, and now its gone backwards. She's getting beat by sticks again by the waif after beating her earlier in the season, and being accused of still being arya stark. whatever I guess. Eventually arya's story will have to progress and be relevant again, right? The play was amusing at least.

Meereen just treads water this week, mostly.

In a bran flashback, we abruptly learn that the CoF created the white walkers. Seemed like an underwhelming reveal without any buildup. And now the 3 eyed raven and presumably all the rest of the CoF are dead and there's still a bunch of questions without answers despite all the time bran spent there while all the events of season 5 were going on. One would think in all that time, bran would ask questions like who the 3ER is, what he's doing there, what have the CoF been doing all this time, what is the purpose for bran being there... either bran got all these answers off screen and maybe eventually the audience will be filled in (hopefully), or bran himself never got any answers and now has to figure out what he's supposed to do on his own (unbelievable from a narrative standpoint...)

The final scene brought the feels, but half of my attention was on trying to figure out what was going on with the time travel-esque stuff. I get that bran and the 3ER were in the vision when the white walkers attacked, and the 3ER encouraged bran to warg hodor while in the vision, and somehow bran linked present hodor and past hodor and traumatized past hodor into become hodor. So, its a time loop. Kinda like in Prizoner of Azkaban, where you can't really effect or change the past, you're just doing what already happened. Hodor was Hodor in the present, so he had to become Hodor in the past. But why did it have to happen like that? Bran could have left the vision and warged hodor in the present like he has before. Why were they just chilling in the vision anyways - the 3ER clearly knew the white walkers were attacking... in the Inside the Episode, they explain that the 3ER was "uploading" some information or power into bran - why couldn't that be explained in the episode itself? So, bran turned hodor into hodor. Because hodor was hodor, he was there at winterfell able to help bran after his fall, and drag him all the way north, where eventually hodor could "hold the door" while turning into hodor in the past, closing the loop. So bran basically learns that he can't change the past, because whatever he did... does... er... tries to do...? to change the past already happened and has helped form the present in which he lives. If bran in the future continues to try to do anything to change the past, ultimately all we'll learn is that bran is responsible for some events occurring that we already know about. Or, maybe that will be it for the time-altering stuff, since bran learns he can't actually change the past?

Anyways, so far I'd rank the episodes this season as 4>2>5>3>1...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3880 (isolation #70) » Mon May 23, 2016 6:56 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3865, InflatablePie wrote:Calling my shot - Bran has a vision of an older Kings Landing and attempts to warn King Aerys about the white walkers. Maybe he finds out about the wildfyre underneath KL and tells Aerys he should burn them all.
That's a popular theory, although it varies whether its bran or the 3ER himself who causes the mad king to go mad. Another one I heard had to deal with the character Patchface from the books, who seems to often sing of the future cryptically. Maybe next episode bran visits casterly rock in a vision and causes some lanister kid to go mad and smash da beetles for the rest of time. Then that tyrion scene from season 4 has an answer :cool:
In post 3876, InflatablePie wrote:Jon to Edd: "Don't knock it down while I'm gone"

final scene of season confirmed, get hype
yup total foreshadowing. Just like baelish telling sansa people die on their chamber pots.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3898 (isolation #71) » Tue May 24, 2016 10:17 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3897, AF 5353 wrote:the vast majority of the cuts the TV medium has forced D&D to make have been for the better. Would I love to see LSH, Coldhands, Belwas, and Victarion? Of course, but all of their roles could easily be assumed by one or more existing characters. Loads and loads of characters is just too much for TV viewers (their names aren't mentioned often enough in TV as opposed to print, I guess?) and paying more actors, or using tons of make up or CGI to bring LSH or Coldhands to life, would quickly get very expensive and quality would need to be sacrificed elsewhere. Or worse, you get performances like those from the sandsnakes. The Griff and Young Griff plotline would be too much too add at this point, they've started the endgame and new major impact characters would just distract us from the ones the audience has come to care about the most.
I don't really agree with most of this. But I'm also not going to spend too much energy arguing the point. It's difficult to say ultimately whether the show changes end up being "better" without having the whole picture from either the show or the books at this point. I will say though that it seems silly to use the sandsnakes to reinforce your point, when the show sandsnakes are ultimately a result of cutting, condensing, and changing the story from the books, and none of dorne was for the better. And it makes even less sense with the show doubling back on itself to reintroduce events from books 4 and 5 that were originally cut. I wouldn't give up on LSH or coldhands making appearances just yet, given where events seem to be headed.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3901 (isolation #72) » Tue May 24, 2016 10:38 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3900, AF 5353 wrote:I was using the Sandsnakes as an example of poor acting
due to not having the budget to cast each character well
. When you have so many characters to cast for speaking roles, it's easier to just condense and use existing characters to fill in for those you don't a adapt from the source material. My point is instead of sacrificing quality performance, which I feel has always been the show's strongest element and what has made it so popular for mainstream audiences, just cut Dorne out all together. Many on reddit and other boards I visit, myself included, find the performances by the actresses playing the Snakes to be lacking and throwing off the tone of the show.
I call bs on that as well. They spent a shit ton of money on hotah's axe, and the hall of faces, and they hired a big name actor to play doran and then wasted him by having him sit there and essentially do nothing. That's money that could have been put to better use.

No, I do not believe not having the budget to hire better actresses for the sandsnakes was in any way part of their problem. Poor writing and execution, mostly.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3902 (isolation #73) » Tue May 24, 2016 10:40 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3899, Iecerint wrote:LSH I could see given the Riverlands discussions.
Coldhands, less so. He seems pretty neat, though. It would at least give Bran someone else to talk to.
well... somebody has to rescue bran and meera. Hodor can't holdthedoor forever, and meera won't outrun a zombie horde dragging bran on a sled...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3911 (isolation #74) » Wed May 25, 2016 1:12 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3910, xRECKONERx wrote:coldands=benjen tho
yes, I believe the show will go that route, even though I don't think it's true in the books.

Since last episode, I've been wondering if the coldhands character in the book is perhaps another instance of future bran interfering in the past. Perhaps in the book, coldhands is actually future bran warging a wight that he sends to help his past self and company head north. Basically, stuff in the book that doesn't seem to have been explained fully, like coldhands, I expect to eventually be explained by bran's meddling in the past.

In the show, I'm guessing that present bran will figure out how to warg a wight in present time when him and meera are about to get caught, and perhaps in doing so he steals control of it from the nights king, essentially turning the wight into friendly coldhands. This would give him and the audience info on how the night king is controlling all the corpses - through powerful corpse warging. And because it's the show, I'm expecting all this happens because bran recognizes that one of the wights is his uncle benjen.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3932 (isolation #75) » Tue May 31, 2016 8:38 am

Post by Rhinox »

Every episode this season just keeps making me more irrationally angry about the turns the show took after the red wedding, but mostly season 5. So much was cut and condensed and streamlined because it had to be that way to make the show work or so they said. Yet this season seems like backtracking, just slowly reeling everything back in to where it should have been all along.

Yeah sure we've got some WoW plot but it hasn't been much really. Most of this season has been repositioning all the pieces to where they should have been during/after feast and dance. So what does that mean then. What was supposed to be condensing and streamlining ultimately ends up, ironically, as useless filler? I'm happy with this season, but angry at the same time. I cannot comprehend my current emotion towards the show lol.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3934 (isolation #76) » Tue May 31, 2016 1:14 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3944 (isolation #77) » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:36 am

Post by Rhinox »

The bridge didn't really look high enough to die or even be injured from a fall. Also, this plotline has no suspense because there is no way that is the end of a girls character arc.

Hooray for the hound though.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3953 (isolation #78) » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:25 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3949, Accountant wrote:LOL THEY ACTUALLY KILLED NED

JOFFREY YOU MADMAN

what a savage show
oh you sweet summer child
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3956 (isolation #79) » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:38 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 3955, SirCakez wrote:
In post 3948, Brandi wrote:
In post 3946, SirCakez wrote:Arya isn't dead though, so Jaqen couldn't have taken her face
He has used her face before, he doesn't need the person to be dead.
Oh GG
I had assumed arya was hallucinating then because of the drugs that also made her blind.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4008 (isolation #80) » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:28 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4007, Iecerint wrote:The 13 episode thing made me less optimistic about a LSH arc tho. :[
LSH was killed when beric was shown alive
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4011 (isolation #81) » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:55 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4010, Iecerint wrote:She's been dead for a pretty long time, though. They'd have to find a way to justify her body being at all recognizable.
Which is why LSH plot was officially dead when Beric was shown alive :]

I mean I guess they could just have her show up and we don't know how she was reanimated (or what she was doing) since season 3. Or someone somewhere did mention that they could flip the script and turn the blackfish into "LSH" if they really wanted to introduce that plotline now...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4082 (isolation #82) » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:41 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4081, Iecerint wrote:
In post 4080, Fenchurch wrote:I didn't know it was obsidian. How do you find that out?
IIRC the maesters call it obsidian.
Sam called it obsidian when they found it at the fist of the first men iirc
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4088 (isolation #83) » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:17 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Olenna <3
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4106 (isolation #84) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:00 am

Post by Rhinox »

It was a great episode for sure but an awesome finale doesn't define the entire season. It was a strong season for sure, but the best? I don't know about that. I can't really say it was a stronger overall season than seasons 1-3. This season could have been paced a lot better. There were a few episodes where almost nothing happened. I can see how going down to 7 episodes for season 7 should make an overall stronger season. 7 episodes for this season probably would have been about right. Its also not bad thing that they just killed off a good chunk of expenses in the finale that can be used for other things now.

Basically, IMO Lancel in the basement this episode was like the absolute perfect metaphor for the season. Dragging and dragging himself down the hallway with the end looming all around him knowing what is coming, until he finally gets there and *boom*. Just like this season saved mostly everything for the proverbial and literal explosions at the end.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4155 (isolation #85) » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:23 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4169 (isolation #86) » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:40 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4168, PJ. wrote:Well tbf, marrying you cousin in thronesland really isn't that big of a deal
Aunt/Nephew, technically
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4200 (isolation #87) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:09 am

Post by Rhinox »

weekend is starting.

hyping intensifies.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4204 (isolation #88) » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:22 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4202, fferyllt wrote:It was adequate.
Apt description. I liked pretty much everything that happened, I just would have thought into the 7th season and with less screen time available there'd have been less setting of the table and more eating the meal. The appetizers were to die for, however.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4212 (isolation #89) » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:17 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4210, AniX wrote:There hasn't really been anyone interested in it/time to get it. Stannis lost while Cersei was sitting in prison/Jaime was out of town and the Kingdom was de facto in the hands of the High Sparrow, who really had no aims on conquest. I don't know if he even knew of Dany coming or, if he knew, that he cared. The North/Littlefinger's Eyrie was too far away AND in the Middle of a Civil War AND preparing to fight the Night King. Dorne WANTS Dany at this point or at least doesn't mind her. The Reach was under the Sparrow's thumb until he died and, since then, basically had its entire royal family wiped out and is full isolationist.

This season opens literally the day after Cersei blew up basically everyone of consequence in King's Landing but her, Qyburn, and Ser Strong and it's clear she doesn't have a strong enough army to challenge Dany directly (hence the Iron Islands alliance).
yeah I can buy everybody being too preoccupied to care about dragonstone. It's not even all that strategic without a fleet, which the lannisters don't have. Cersei was too preoccupied with dorne, the tyrells, and the sparrows to care about dragonstone, and in season 6 the lannister army had to be sent to take back riverrun. The tyrells probably had the army to go hold dragonstone at the beginning of season 5, but cersei wasn't going to let that happen. She sent Mace Tyrell over to essos to talk to the iron bank and then got the sparrows to imprison margaery and loras, so by then the tyrells weren't going anywhere. In season 6 their army was in kingslanding and sent in to stop (what they thought was going to be) margaery's walk of atonement before ultimately getting blown up. Whatever tyrell army that's left has got to be with olenna in dorne. No other army really would have had the capability or desire to go squat there.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4216 (isolation #90) » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Post by Rhinox »

"We never talked about Tommen..."
-Jamie to Cersei, implies at least some amount of time has passed since Cersei blew up the sept. More time than the day after imo. Could be a few days to a few weeks though, so possibly figuratively, if not literally, the "day after".
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4219 (isolation #91) » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Spoiler:
theons arc makes no sense...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4227 (isolation #92) » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:25 pm

Post by Rhinox »

That episode was fantastic
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4261 (isolation #93) » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:29 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4259, Wraith wrote:
In post 4258, zoraster wrote:why does everyone suddenly give a damn about Ed Sheeran?
Personally I view it misdirected subconscious anger.

People know, deep down, that something is off about the show and has been for a while, but either don't want to admit it or don't know exactly what it is. So they take hold of a minor issue and pour their displeasure into it.
There's definitely a sub-culture of hate-watching GOT and picking every little thing apart. I think season 5 being terrible has a lot to do with the vocal rage and complaining throughout season 6 and the current season, even if the show is stronger now. I think hating on the ed sheeran cameo was just an easy target to hate on. But I think people do know whats "off" about the show and are very vocal about complaining about it on the internet and other message boards. I think in the most general terms, the show has inconsistencies, and I think everyone has a limit of how much inconsistency they can tolerate, and when that limit is reached they react in certain ways, kinda like the stages of grief or something.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4281 (isolation #94) » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:26 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4262, Wraith wrote:Yup. Shamus Young (if anyone knows who that is) calls this "story collapse".
That was an interesting read. I hadn't realized anyone had put a name to it.

I get people's issues with the show. I've had issues but kinda got past them at this point. I watch for the good moments and don't care much anymore if the inbetween stuff doesn't always make sense or is different from the books.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4290 (isolation #95) » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Post by Rhinox »

"10,000 men in the north? Less?"

"Fewer."

LMFAO i love it
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4291 (isolation #96) » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4289, Hiraki wrote:Image

if you really want to stretch it and say she went around KL, then there's no reason why jaime shouldn't have gotten ambushed
I think the ambush was closer to kings landing tho. They made a point to say the gold made it to KL anyways.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4294 (isolation #97) » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:44 pm

Post by Rhinox »

And and bronn telling jamie to run to KL when the dothraki were charging.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4301 (isolation #98) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:55 am

Post by Rhinox »

I really really liked this episode a lot but... not my fav of the series though. I enjoyed ep3 this season more. Compared to some of the other big battle episodes this one was good but I'd still put it behind battle of the blackwater, battle of the bastards, watchers on the wall, and hardhome. I really enjoy the no cut long shot thing they do in battles its kind of becoming a signature of the show, but I think this is the 4th time we've seen it now and I think the first time the focus wasn't Jon. Seemed a little corny with Bronn IMO. Drogon in battle was cool though.

I was kinda worried we weren't going to get an arya reunion. First when she was at the gates, then after when she looked around then disappeared I thought she might decide she didn't belong and run. That was kinda the thing with arya in earlier seasons, every time she would almost get back with her family just to have the rug pulled out.

In the next time on previews, was that a shot of
dany and drogon in front of Jon demanding one final time to bend the knee??
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4309 (isolation #99) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:48 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4302, Wraith wrote:
In post 4289, Hiraki wrote:Image

if you really want to stretch it and say she went around KL, then there's no reason why jaime shouldn't have gotten ambushed
Have we reached peak "stealth teleporting army/fleet" level? Or was Euron's in the last episode even worse?

Like seriously the Dothraki marched across the continent and no one noticed until they were right on top of them. No news or rumors or anything to just basically indicate that this world is realistic. These are DOTHRAKI. Terror should be rapidly spreading across the land as they thoroughly rape and pillage everything in their path. Jorah explicitly advised her to go to Astapor and get Unsullied back in season 3 for this exact reason, and now we've forgotten about it, conveniently just in time for more teleporting bullshit to happen.

Battle was cool, though. The shot and soundtrack when Drogon roared into view legit gave me goosebumps.
The battle happened near the blackwater outside kings landing.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4320 (isolation #100) » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:46 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4312, Wraith wrote:Was this explicitly stated in the show and I just missed it?
yup:
In post 4313, chamber wrote:Based on the conversation I assumed they were like immediately outside kings landing. There was a report that all the gold had made it to kings landing, presumably part of their supply line. They yell for jaime to run to kings landing at one point. They mention they'll be across the blackwater before nightfall, which I read as the end of the supply line will be.
You're definitely in the tunnel vision stage of hating the show, where everything is scummy, even when its clearly not.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4323 (isolation #101) » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:24 am

Post by Rhinox »

I'm pretty sure tyrion said they still had enough ships for the dothraki right before dany cut him off with the "enough with the clever plans" tirade but I'd need to watch again to confirm.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4328 (isolation #102) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:52 am

Post by Rhinox »

I mean the show kinda created the problem on its own so I get it. In earlier season, logistics mattered and was relatively consistent. You would feel the passage of time and distance, it was built into the storytelling. Now, it only matters when its convenient to the plot and it doesn't matter when its inconvenient to the plot. And the "things aren't happening at the same time for everybody" excuse is lazy because eventually timelines converge and the mental gymnastics it takes to match up the timelines is sometimes suspension of belief breaking. And resource management is a part of it too and is also guilty of only mattering when its convenient. But I guess ignore sometimes poor storytelling because drogon battle sequences are cool and worth it. I really am enjoying this season, despite the flaws I've come to accept.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4341 (isolation #103) » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Wasn't thrilled with that episode overall but certainly some interesting info in there.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4348 (isolation #104) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:49 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4343, Annadog40 wrote:Lost it pretty sure. That is part of taking the black.
In post 4344, Korts wrote:So the Tarlys are extinct.
Well I think its possible the Night's Watch could cease to exist by the end of the show which would release sam from his vows. There's also precedent for a King releasing a night's watchman from his vows - stannis was going to legitimize Jon as a Stark and name him Warden of the North - and Sam happens to be good friends with a certain king in the north
and rightful king of the seven kingdoms

I think the reason I wasn't as happy with this episode is because it felt like a first episode again. We had all this momentum building in the war between Dany and Cersei and this episode just slammed the breaks on all that and felt like it went back to all set up in a different direction. Shouldn't have to wait long for payoff though, what with 2 episodes left and all.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4367 (isolation #105) » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Post by Rhinox »

I know we're supposed to be past the complaining about teleporting and all, but...
gendry ran from who the fuck knows back to east watch, sends a raven 1,000 miles to dragonstone, causing dany to fly 1,000 miles+ to the rescue, all in about the same time it took water to freeze, in the coldest place on planetos, next to the guys who freeze fire and bring the goddamn winter.
That is just a little silly.

These last 2 episodes have been disappointing...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4379 (isolation #106) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:34 am

Post by Rhinox »

The most plausible head cannon I've heard is that the NK set a trap in order to get a dragon, intentionally holding off the attack until dany was about to arrive, and also explains the presence of the super convenient anchor chains.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4384 (isolation #107) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:12 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4380, chamber wrote:And they just happened to survive with no food or fire in subzero temperatures for a week?
Well they were pulling a sled. Stands to reason they had some supplies with them. Like, they did have dragonglass weapons with them even though it was never stated explicitly. The problem i have is that it only seems they were there for like, overnight, and not almost a week.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4389 (isolation #108) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:36 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4388, xRECKONERx wrote:one episode would have Catlyn telling Brienne to take Jaime and the next episode they'd be at King's Landing
might happen all in one episode even

Also, kinda disappointed they haven't even mentioned theon/yara/euron the last 2 episodes. In 704 Theon wanted to ask dany for help rescuing yara. I get 706 was primarily a north/beyond the wall episode, but there's no reason they couldn't have fit in a quick discussion between theon and dany in 705 to set up whatever resolution of that plotline they have planned for the finale.

And I wish the growing relationship between dany and jon was done better. Up until the scene on the boat the only indication there was any "spark" between them was because other characters had to keep telling us, pretty much breaking the number 1 rule of storytelling (show don't tell). It still doesn't feel like there is any sort of romantic interest between them. Now it seems more like mutual admiration and respect. Doesn't really seem any different than how tyrion and dany felt about each other when dany named him hand.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4391 (isolation #109) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:36 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4390, zoraster wrote:It's a problem. But at the same time I don't want to watch more episodes where things don't happen when we don't have that much time left. So I don't REALLY mind that things are now moving really quickly.
But this is an artificial problem. D&D decided how much time they wanted to have left and then turned everything to plaid to fit it in. The best part of the last episode was the conversations the crew had just marching north. I'd gladly take more stuff like that, and it didn't really get in the way of stuff happening. It WAS the stuff happening, and led to more stuff happening. Or should we just skip stuff like that because who needs it when there's not much time left? Just show them walking out of the gate at the wall, cut to small band of wights to ambush. Just move it along, no time for conversations between characters.

I'm glad they had the conversations at all, but even they could have been done better. It was presented as a checklist of conversations one right after another. Like, first Jon and Jorah talk, then Hound and Tormund, then Jon and Beric, etc. Was that
really
the first opportunity Jon and Jorah had to talk about longclaw? Like I get that maybe Jon was busy mining on dragonstone or they avoided each other because they were kinda giving each other awkward glances around dany, but like didn't they just spend days together in a cramped boat sailing 1,000 miles from dragonstone to the wall? I'm fine with the show asking to accept that some time passes off screen or storylines not happening at the same time or speed. The problem is the show now constantly breaks the illusion of time passing by having characters stand around doing shit all with that time in between scenes that happen days or weeks apart. And that kind of stuff doesn't take a whole lot of effort to fix. Just film Jon and Jorah talking on the boat, when Jorah hands the sword back, pan up to the wall they just sailed into view of, couple quick cuts of walking and boom they're in the cells confronting Sandor and the BWB. They were already planning on spending the run time on the conversation anyways, just move it somewhere it makes more sense and it doubles as a proxy for time passage between dragonstone and the wall. Contrast what we're getting now, to Sam and Gilly's travel to horn hill and old town just last season. Might not be the best example since that was probably something they could have cut and wouldn't have been missed. But suppose they just warped from sam and gilly at the wall to horn hill in the same episode, and then just sat there and had all the same conversations anyways, as if they just spend weeks of travel sitting in silence. I like the version we got better.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4412 (isolation #110) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4403, Wraith wrote:I forgot to mention that - does she really need to execute people by burning them alive? No - she didn't even use this method of execution against the Yunkish leaders, she had their throats cut.
She burnt alive one of the meereen nobility after the harpy attacks started and threatened to burn the rest just before forcing Hizdahr into marraige. Burning the Tarly's didn't seem out of character to me. Doesn't matter whether Dickon was sympathetic or not... GoT isn't supposed to be a good guys vs. bad guys show, thats been established since the first season. I don't really have a problem with Dany's characterization. I have a bigger problem with Tyrion's. Here's a guy that used wildfire to blow up a fleet of enemy ships. He seemed horrified by it (in contrast to Joffery) but seemed to consider it as doing what was necessary to defend the city. But now, using dragons to defeat your enemies (which saves countless lives in Dany's own army) is immoral and on the Mad Queen path...

Also, and this isn't a critique of the show just a curiousity, I wonder about what exactly Dany did with the Lannister soldiers who bent the knee. She doesn't really have a weserosi army to assimilate them into. They wouldn't exactly fit in with the dothraki, or the unsullied for that matter when they return. She said she wasn't taking prisoners so I assume she didn't send them of to some POW camp even if they're being fed well and treated nicely, but I also doubt they were just free to go to return home or possibly report back to the rest of the lannister army. Were they sent back to dragonstone and put to work? Forced labor doesn't seem like much of a distinction from prisoner or slave for that matter. They could potentially reinforce the loyal ironborn assuming theres more than just the one ship left, or sent off to fight with the dornish army if they still existed, but as far as the show is concerned both those pieces seem off the board. I'm also assuming the Tyrell army was killed off or captured by the lannisters. So I don't really see what exactly Dany is supposed to do with a bunch of non-prisoner enemy troops she's forcing to bend the knee. We just supposed to assume they're somewhere behaving out of fear I guess?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4418 (isolation #111) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:55 am

Post by Rhinox »

There's better things to GET HYPE about!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4422 (isolation #112) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Ok. That was some good shit start to finish.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4424 (isolation #113) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Post by Rhinox »

And gods did i ever spit out my drink when littlefinger said ravens have a hard time flying in this weather :giggle: :lol:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4436 (isolation #114) » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:22 am

Post by Rhinox »

Dario is with the second sons. The Golden company is different. but yes, still alive
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4442 (isolation #115) » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:02 am

Post by Rhinox »

So some morning after thoughts:

-so yes, all the drama in winterfell prior to this episode was pretty dumb. But littlefingers trial was great if I just ignore the contrivances leading up to the gotcha. I loved everything about that scene. I disliked that it dragged out as long as it did. But if they'd have killed him off earlier they'd have just needed to find some other contrived plot for the stark siblings to do all season.

-so yes, the plan to capture a wight and convince cersei was dumb af and cost dany a dragon for pretty much no reason. But I loved all the tension in the kings landing scenes. I loved the hound and brienne talking about arya. Tyrion and Cersei was a great scene, as was Jamie and Cersei. I legit thought Jamie was getting cleaved in half by the mountain for a minute. I loved the reactions when the wight jumped out of the box. Cersei playing the game well, for a minute I was thinking huh this all seems a bit too easy, then cersei didn't disappoint.

-Theon's actor continues to be the best on the show IMO. Theon and Jon was a great scene (and also S8 prediction: theon comes back and reminds Jon he doesn't have to choose, he's a targaryen and he's a stark). I liked how the fight with the other iron born dude went down. I dislike that the payoff isn't coming until next season. In a season where everything was moving at lightspeed it was obvious this plot was just being held back. I mean, the Naval battle was like the first big event of the season, and then... nothing.

-The wall coming down was the most predictable event of the finale. And it was pretty heavily foreshadowed going back to last season. When it finally happened, it was pretty underwhelming how it happened. I was hoping something more magical would bring the wall down. Well I mean I guess undead blue ice-flame dragon is pretty magical but I was hoping for something a little less like direct blunt force. I think also because of the way the nk got the dragon stemming from the stupid wight capture plot plays into it. And now the NK is basically dany at the end of S6 - stupidly OP AF and could just fly into winterfell S8e1 and blow it to hell before Jon and Dany even get there. Same as how Dany could have taken KL except for the clever plans that failed. And I don't think the NK will be messing around with clever plans so it's going to seem dumb when the nk doesn't just roll over the north. Maybe there will be something to the "must always be a stark in winterfell" line that's been repeated all series? NK is going to need to lose that dragon of his pretty quick I think. Maybe Rhaegal takes it out sacrificing himself in the process?

-cleganebowl basically confirmed for S8. get hype, airhorns, etc.

-I think Euron was way overhyped as a villain. He was supposed to be worse than Joffery and Ramsay. Sure he's completely insane, but we haven't even seen him do anything or act truly evil. I mean I guess cutting the tongues out of his enemies after winning the battle, but that seems pretty tame compared to Joffrey or Ramsay. Hasn't tortured yara that we know of, she looked in decent shape when she was paraded into KL anyways. Killing the sandsnakes is like accidentally choosing paragon when you're trying to play full renegade. I don't hate him in the way I hated Joffrey or Ramsay.
I'm not sure why they don't even nod to the fact that Sam ignored Gilly on the marriage thing and claimed credit for it. Oh well.
I mean, they kinda did. Sam said he was the one who transcribed the book that gilly was reading. So he knew what was in there before Gilly read it to him, which also kinda explains his agitation about it.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4445 (isolation #116) » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:55 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4443, zoraster wrote:why is he supposed to be worse than joffrey or ramsay? I didn't get that sense that was intended at all.

He basically comes across as the evil version of Bronn.
I remember reading that in interviews prior to the season.

This may be the interview I remember: one of many sources
Empire magazine had a season preview of Game of Thrones and the actor who plays Euron, Pilou Asbæk, has been talking up his characters ruthlessness in Season 7.

"The psychos I’ve encountered have so many different sides to them. So each scene I’ve done with Euron, I pick a new thing I wanna show. ‘This scene I want to be charming.’ ‘This scene I wanna be a molester.’ ‘This scene I wanna kill someone.’
After this season, Ramsay’s gonna look like a little kid
," he said.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4453 (isolation #117) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:58 am

Post by Rhinox »

Was Euron the one who showed up with the dragon horn at the kingsmoot in the book? or was that victarion? because that was pretty cool.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4460 (isolation #118) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Ghost? Direwolf? Whats that?

/s
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4463 (isolation #119) » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:51 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4462, chamber wrote:They explicitly said they didn't have the budget for it. Was a choice they made to have more dragon screen time.
it was also reported that a scene with ghost was actually produced for episode 2 but they decided to cut during editing.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4481 (isolation #120) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:49 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4480, Faraday wrote:Targaryens, as a general rule, aren't immune to fire.
Dany isn't even supposed to be either. Thats a show-only trait.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4663 (isolation #121) » Sun May 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Well that was a thing that ended

Return to “General Discussion”