Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1496 (isolation #0) » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:53 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 1491, Tierce wrote:
In post 1490, DCLXVI wrote:but given that people's life spans were in general a lot shorter
This is incorrect.

What we know as "life expectancy" in medieval times was a lot shorter because of a very high infant death toll. However, those who survived it tended to live well into their old age. While this might not mean 70-80 years old, it doesn't mean that people died in their mid-forties.

Yeah, all the death kinda resided in the childhood side, making the object of the game reaching adult hood. Once you pulled that off, you were pretty much fine.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2192 (isolation #1) » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:38 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

So yeah, I was not expecting that. I thought the old man was cool with what happened, and then right at the end... oh, I guess he wasn't cool with that at all.

Wife thought I should be more upset, but I'm just looking forward to see who can deliver the hand of VENGENCE.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2199 (isolation #2) » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:12 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

I think my wife might have been looking for a reaction from me like one of these ones...
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2221 (isolation #3) » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:32 am

Post by Zachrulez »

It certainly is upsetting. In hindsight though, it's easy to see that the war was gradually turning south for the Starks.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2693 (isolation #4) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:29 am

Post by Zachrulez »

It's frustrating that I know about the whole rape scene vs book scene without actually watching the episode.

From reading the link provided earlier in this page of discussion though, it seems like the sequence of events leading up to the scene are also in a different order than in the book which leads to the characters having different mindsets than in the book.

It seems problematic that the director wants to defend the scene as being true to the book and not rape when it's not true to the book and is rape. Just gives me the impression that the scene was poorly written/executed.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2725 (isolation #5) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:36 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 2715, chamber wrote:
In post 2710, Tierce wrote:when we are discussing the disparity of female and male nudity on a show with lots of male and female characters, and that it is bothersome to see that--not necessarily because of the lack of eye candy for certain groups, but that the show deems it acceptable to have one and not the other.
That's a really silly argument. I like seeing naked women more than naked men. Honestly in Game of Thrones I find all of the nudity to be more of a detractor than anything, but that's another argument, male nudity is still a stronger detractor. I assume that there is a non-discrete spectrum of such preferences. I also assume, however, that they are largely grouped towards heavily preferring one over the other. It makes perfect sense then, that some shows would cater to specific demographics of those spectrums. You can argue against the current distribution at a macroscopic level, its likely skewed but not something I look for in TV. But to argue that every show must have a completely even display from both is ridiculous.
I'm sure there's a disparity, but how exactly do you go about addressing this problem?

Like if I'm writing a script that has a seduction scene where the woman strips down in it, are we saying that in the interest of social justice I now should go out of my way to throw in a scene where a male is doing essentially the same thing? If I folded to societal pressure there, I would end up feeling like I just threw the second scene in just because of the first.

I mean I don't see a way to approach the problem in a way that doesn't effect entertainment in a negative way. Aside from having more diversity in writing so that there's a better chance you get people who are interested in actually writing about the things that you feel are underrepresented anyway.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3172 (isolation #6) » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:59 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 3158, esuriospiritus wrote:
In post 3151, evilpacman18 wrote:I was excited to see Alexander Siddig as Oberyn Martell's dad. I loved him in Syriana

dude. Star Trek DS9.

Spoiler: not the best picture but meh

But yes, definitely good to see a familiar face.

Star Trek DS9 is the only reason I recognized him.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4470 (isolation #7) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:39 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 4430, KuroiXHF wrote:
In post 4426, xRECKONERx wrote:okay so ....

definitely thought jaime was donezo. in fact, why wasn't he? cersei told the mountain to do it, why didn't he?
I kind of want an answer to this.

Also, I've never really quite been so happy to see incest as I am right now.
My interpretation of what we saw was that Cersei was bluffing and the order itself was basically an intimidation bluff which Jaime called her on.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4471 (isolation #8) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:53 am

Post by Zachrulez »

I also think the assumption that the white walkers will attack in the north first might be wrong. King's landing is actually the place that is least prepared for a white walker attack and the night king literally has a dragon he can use to fly there and raise the dead. They would never know what hit them. (Alternatively they may not even bother to focus their forces in one place and may end up attacking in multiple places... including King's landing.)

Return to “General Discussion”