Ultimate Videogame Topic 3: The Next Generation

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2800 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Post by hiplop »

I am in canada
third best scummer of all time
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #2801 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:07 am

Post by Flameaxe »

In post 2800, hiplop wrote:I am in canada
congrats
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2802 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:17 am

Post by zoraster »

I mean... UPS still goes to Canada though I do think that ups the cost a bit. Particularly for the RAM it's probably still fairly cheap but even the GPU is probably still only $25 or so.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2803 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:31 am

Post by PJ. »

"Only 25$"

I'm in the wrong field.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2804 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:47 am

Post by zoraster »

Well, I'm talking about relative to purchasing a similar GPU, not relative to how much money one has. Tom's GPU hierarchy puts it on the same tier as a GTX 1050, which is selling for $120 on amazon. This is a well used card, so I wouldn't exactly expect to get full value out of it, but if you needed/wanted a card of that ability, $25 is probably less than whatever else you could find, and I was just guessing at the shipping cost anyway. If I were hiplop, I would only take it if Jess really needed a GPU though. Depending on the CPU, it's not necessarily enough power to comfortably play PUBG, for example.

The RAM can probably be shipped for much, much cheaper (can slip it into a padded envelope even), but the gain probably is only a bit as you can get 2x4GB 1600 for about $30.
jasonT1981
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2805 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:45 am

Post by jasonT1981 »

Bioware is ending support of Andromeda already, there will be no more patches and no story DLC. The story will continue via comics and books.

They are now going to focus solely on the multiplayer element of the game.

https://www.masseffect.com/news/mass...rom-the-studio

Early in development, we decided to focus Mass Effect: Andromeda’s story on the Pathfinder, the exploration of the Andromeda galaxy, and the conflict with the Archon. The game was designed to further expand on the Pathfinder’s journey through this new galaxy with story-based APEX multiplayer missions and we will continue to tell stories in the Andromeda Galaxy through our upcoming comics and novels, including the fate of the quarian ark.

Our last update, 1.10, was the final update for Mass Effect: Andromeda. There are no planned future patches for single-player or in-game story content.

In the coming weeks, our multiplayer team will provide details of their ongoing support and upcoming content, including new multiplayer missions, character kits, and what’s in store for N7 Day.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2806 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:14 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, that feels pretty bullshit, but at the same time, I think they figured out that Andromeda's system was not what Mass Effect players wanted, so they're better off focusing on ME5 to right the ship instead of pumping out DLC for ME4.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2807 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:37 pm

Post by zoraster »

Yeah, best not send good money after bad. I didn't absolutely hate Andromeda, but it couldn't let itself focus on the things that made it fun and instead went with boring generic quests.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2808 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I didn't hate Andromeda, either, but I think it's a game that really suffers from Bioware's sudden addiction to open world MMA style gaming in a single-player game. It especially hurt ME, since that was a series that relied more on set-pieces and characters, which Andromeda gutted. Not getting even one DLC is a bit weird though, since DA2 was the last Bioware game to get serious heat, and it still got a 2 major DLCs and a bunch of item packs.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2809 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Post by zoraster »

yeah. i always liked the ME mostly linear approach. Even in ME2 with the loyalty missions, you were mostly on a rail. Those games were weakest when it deviated from that, like with the mako.

Also, I found the loot/equipment system particularly useless here. Mining was a minor annoyance, but research and development was super annoying and i just never even wanted to spend that much time figuring that stuff out.

But mostly the open world nature really hurt Andromeda.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2810 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I also feel like the squaddies in Andromeda were far less developed than in previous games, as well.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2811 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Post by hiplop »

yea ME shouldnt be open world i dont know why they did that

its a story game! Same problem with DA: inquisition. I just don't think bioware gets it anymore
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2812 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Post by zoraster »

wasn't the original dragon age pretty open world?

And ME did have open world elements. You kind of need a bit to make the story stuff come together. But MEA felt a lot like an MMO where there was stuff put in to grind just to make you play longer. Also... why did the doors in some places take SO much longer to open than others?
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2813 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:02 pm

Post by hiplop »

DA:O is pretty much mass effect 1 but with dragons. Same level of open worldedness
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2814 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:10 pm

Post by zoraster »

I don't think that's true. ME1 had the citadel but otherwise wasn't very open world at all if I recall. DAO had several cities with different quests and such.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2815 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:28 pm

Post by hiplop »

i mean its open world but in the very loosest terms. I guess its sort of like ME2 where you can go to whatever planet you want but severely limited. Small world map, mostly focus on loyalty style missions (sten's mission, for example)
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2816 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:58 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

ME and DAO had open world elements, but DAO was open more like Baldur's Gate was open- you had an area you could explore, and there are some sidequests you only find if you do explore, but mostly each area is designed with a "go through this way" mentality.

And somebody actually tweeted one of the game developers about why the doors at Kadara Port in MEA took twice as long to open as other doors, and the dev replied that it was done deliberately, to make Kadara feel more worn down- everything there is made from scavenged tech, including the door servos, so it takes longer. I don't remember people finding that answer satisfying.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2817 (ISO) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Post by hiplop »

yea what sudo said
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2818 (ISO) » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

DA:I was open world done right though.

Once you got past the initial feeling of being overwhelmed it became amazing
green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2819 (ISO) » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:18 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 2816, Sudo_Nym wrote:ME and DAO had open world elements, but DAO was open more like Baldur's Gate was open- you had an area you could explore, and there are some sidequests you only find if you do explore, but mostly each area is designed with a "go through this way" mentality.

And somebody actually tweeted one of the game developers about why the doors at Kadara Port in MEA took twice as long to open as other doors, and the dev replied that it was done deliberately, to make Kadara feel more worn down- everything there is made from scavenged tech, including the door servos, so it takes longer. I don't remember people finding that answer satisfying.
honestly, it just made me feel like it was sloppily put together (the game, not kadara). My sister-in-law worked mostly on Kadara but I didn't really want to ask her.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2820 (ISO) » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:16 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2818, xRECKONERx wrote:DA:I was open world done right though.

I actually somewhat disagree. There was definitely the initial sense of being overwhelmed, and it got better after that. The problem it had was another problem that a bunch of open world games have. At some point, it's just "do a bunch of stuff" and it can occasionally be hard to tell what's important and what isn't. Is this side quest going to lead to interesting lore? Interesting character interactions? Or is it basically just a fetch quest? Do I have to do this? Should I just ignore this and go back to the story?
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #2821 (ISO) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:11 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

anyone else playing West of Loathing?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2822 (ISO) » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:08 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 2820, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 2818, xRECKONERx wrote:DA:I was open world done right though.

I actually somewhat disagree. There was definitely the initial sense of being overwhelmed, and it got better after that. The problem it had was another problem that a bunch of open world games have. At some point, it's just "do a bunch of stuff" and it can occasionally be hard to tell what's important and what isn't. Is this side quest going to lead to interesting lore? Interesting character interactions? Or is it basically just a fetch quest? Do I have to do this? Should I just ignore this and go back to the story?
Interesting. I never got quite that bad once the war map was introduced.
green shirt thursdays
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2823 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 2806, Sudo_Nym wrote:Well, that feels pretty bullshit, but at the same time, I think they figured out that Andromeda's system was not what Mass Effect players wanted, so they're better off focusing on ME5 to right the ship instead of pumping out DLC for ME4.
Honestly with every other developer under the sun doing PS4/Xbone re-masters I am shocked that EA hasn't put out a mass effect trilogy on that console... especially when you consider that the third game in particular kind of struggled to hit a decent frame rate. It seems like a no brainer to put it back out there with the newer tech and milk some more money out of it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2824 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:48 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I don't think they ever actually released a Playstation port for ME1, did they? I remember that they made those weird comic book intros primarily for the Playstation market, since they were releasing ME2 for the playstation, but weren't going to release a port of ME1, so the comic book was a way to cheat in import choices.

Return to “The Arcade”