Survivor: Civilization - Congratulations Boudica!!!

Aronis
Aronis
Just here for the Pagetop!
Aronis

Post Post #34 (isolation #0) » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Post by Aronis »

Congrats BRO!
You were amazing, I had a blast watching you dominate!!!
Aronis
Aronis
Aronis

Post Post #78 (isolation #1) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:45 am

Post by Aronis »

In post 74, Iprobablysuck wrote:Yo i'm still pretty peeved that people got items and shit and I gotta Pizza giftcard X_X

Hope you enjoyed that Pizza Reck

Aren't hiplop and CC running a low twist game soon?
the pizza gift card was awesome, why would you be upset w/ that????
Aronis
Aronis
Aronis

Post Post #145 (isolation #2) » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Post by Aronis »

I don't really feel like challenges not being important is a bad thing?? I think in most cases survivor is and should mainly be a social game. Plus I don't really feel like there's a good way to make challenges more meaningful either.

Like having there be Ozzy/Joe/Malcolm isn't necessarily a good thing imo. From what I've seen the main way to really allow people to be a beast would be to have a lack of challenge diversity and if anybody remembers the constant jigsaw puzzles from MLS, people weren't happy with those. Sure a challenge beast can be fun to watch, but when you're powerless to do anything about them it's going to get frustrating for a player and just lead to complaints of a different type.

And in this setting I think challenges are just going to be a bit more meaningless than they would on the shot? In the show they constantly have reward challenges in addition to immunity for things like pillows, tarps, food, flint, etc. but in this setting we're not all starving on an island so that stuff isn't going to mean anything to most people. The only real way to add any extra incentives besides immunity is more pizza gift cards, but that requires a monetary investment by the mods and nobody wants to blow hundreds of dollars modding a game just to be able to offer those constantly, so the only other real things you can offer is reward items and from what I can tell I don't think anybody's been particularly happy with the large amount of reward items Civ had.

just my 2 cents~
Aronis
Aronis
Aronis

Post Post #149 (isolation #3) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:27 am

Post by Aronis »

In post 148, Shadoweh wrote:
In post 145, Aronis wrote:I don't really feel like challenges not being important is a bad thing?? I think in most cases survivor is and should mainly be a social game. Plus I don't really feel like there's a good way to make challenges more meaningful either.
The game is Outwit, Outplay and Outlast. Which parts of that are more important to each person is debatable, but the hardest part of each game to design is the mechanics and the 16 or so minigames in the form of challenges so they should be important in some way. Honestly, I think the reason no one likes challenge winners is people begin to see them not as people, but as mechanics in the game fucking with them, basically the npc obstacles they have to work around and defeat.

D3f3nd3r wrote:I agree, you don't need pre-merge challenge performance to mean things post-merge. Especially since on the real show, it usually means bad things. And there's not really any dominant post-merge challenge performer a lot of the time...first two I can think of other than this game were Jesse in Season Finale and Tyrion in Thrones. Both several years ago.
I dunno, I think Summer is getting good at this. :V The last 5 games including this one had someone go on an immunity run, 2 had the run stop short of the finals and 2 had the immunity runner go to FTC when they would have been voted out instead. I don't know if Azmodan "needed" to win FIC but boy howdy was he @#$^ing good at it.
You can outwit, outplay, and outlast people socially w/o any need to win a challenge
And mechanics do tend to end up being pretty important? Like it depends on your definition of what a mechanic is, but like if we're taking about death row 2.0 it clearly had an impact on the game
Aronis
Aronis
Aronis

Post Post #152 (isolation #4) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:49 am

Post by Aronis »

So is the problem here that challenge beasts aren't being valued enough? Cause I feel like that can take care of itself in terms of like at merge you can just go on a challenge run and win (now juries not properly respecting that play could be a problem) until people learn to vote you out. As far as premerge goes that's a double edged sword, cause if you get heavily valued then you're gonna get killed asap at merge, so do you really want to be seen as a huge challenge threat there?

Return to “Social Game Archive”