New Player Feedback Methodology

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #16 (isolation #0) » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 12, Xalxe wrote:
In post 5, BROseidon wrote:as a mentor/mentee sort of thing where you have say 16 players and 16 "mentors"
Seen this done; I think it could be..interesting? As long as people were genuinely interested in both teaching & playing the game. Tribe of newbies, tribe of mentors, allow crosstalk across pairs and you have an interesting iteration on BvW.
This is actually a really cool idea! I think it would work better than a hydra type game and help newbies in a good way!

I didn't realize there was a newbie guide (literally just bookmarked it now, thanks for the link :)), but that probably would have helped a lot in preparing for my first game! I honestly thought I was doing a good job, but I was not even close to having enough conversation and thought playing to my character would increase anonymity (mostly due to my rather distinct playstyle) and it was a big reason I got knocked out so quickly.

I think a feedback form is always a good idea, and sure it's optional, but with the commitment LSGs demands, you will probably get a much higher answer rate than in Mafia games!

I went into the game somewhat knowing what I had stepped into, but having no real clue what to do once there. I talked about maybe joining at Kingsmeet and did when I got asked if I was interested, but I still really didn't know what to do. Since the games are on a different platform, I assume there isn't really a way for newbies to read a game (and it would be pretty confusing if not live-following anyway, plus no PM logs), so I don't know how much this really can be improved, other than a thread for those interested in the game to talk about the game among themselves and with veterans, and the Newbie Guide (which I'm going to read before the next game I play).

I think I rambled but oh well...
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #18 (isolation #1) » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:05 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 17, Realeo wrote:
What makes some people enjoy playing or not enjoy playing?
I think the reason that I finally quited Survivor was simply I don't know how much to talk?

On my first game, I did the routine "talk to other people, introduce yourself", but during TC, one of the person PMed saying "Hey, you are not talking enough" before I got blindsided unanimously.

So I simply don't know how much to talk? I think I talked more in my first Survivor than IRL so when I can't gauge the bar of "How much talking is enough," I lost hope.
Minus the losing hope part, I had pretty much the same experience! I though I was talking plenty, but I was blindsided in TC1 for not talking enough.

I think it's a learning thing and not a reason to quit though!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”