New Player Feedback Methodology

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #25 (isolation #0) » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:25 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

There's always going to be an issue with newbies even if they know the game of survivor well. I mean its pretty intimidating when you come into a community of people that's been well established already. Even if people don't know who each other are off the bat, they still have a good understanding of how people are going to interact. They also know what the meta of the site is like. Things which are well received on one site might not be on another site. And if you do end up doing something wrong, nobody is going to tell you during the game since its much easier to just accept an easy boot.

So its a bit confusing when you first join and you're trying to figure out what to say that isn't going to lead to your immediate elimination. I mean you can read previous games and try to figure things out, but I've found that to be difficult given how non linear the boards are. Plus you don't have access to PMs, which is probably the most difficult part of the game.

One thing that I've also noticed is that some players seem to "know" things about the game that haven't been officially announced; like the number of jurors, whether its going to be 2 or 3 FTC, when switches are going to happen and how often they might happen.

I don't think a hydra game with newbies and veterans would be all that great personally. Not a lot of newbies are going to be crazy about having someone walk them through the game, especially given how long they can go on for. Would probably end up with a lot of veterans just controlling the hydra, which wouldn't be very beneficial. Newbie BvW sounds more interesting, but singling out the newbies like that is something I could see going wrong.

Most of the issues that prevent newbies from staying are just inherent with Survivor and not really anything that can be blamed on one person in particular. If you get eliminated early, you gotta wait 2 months for the next one. So I think having non-survivor type games around on the board is what really gives people a reason to stay long enough for a second shot.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”