The New Newbie Game Setup

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
AxleGreaser
AxleGreaser
Mafia Scum
AxleGreaser
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #267 (isolation #0) » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Post by AxleGreaser »

In post 259, Toto wrote:1) Newbies need a simpler set up. More focus on learning the ropes than the complexities of semi-open setups.
Like the theory. but
Pretty sure it will make a game with much more emphasis on how to know the setup and decide when and how to fake claim as scum.

The "complexity" of the other setup up option IMO drives the games towards relying on reads of the words players put in posts.
(people play as Vts)
And not to rely on knowing the setup. (use roles as crutches)

This 3d3 setup below leaves more players, for more of the game, not knowing precisely what they are up against.
The town JK in the 3d3 setup still operating in state of not knowing, what the possible roles are preserves more of the operating, in an unknown situation vs unknown opponents. Which is for me the core of playing mafia. In your 1of 3 setup the Jk always knows he entire setup.

Spoiler: for ref if you need it : the setup
In post 12, PenguinPower wrote:
In post 9, Creature wrote:I guess a least confusing table would be this:
Number 1Number 2Number 3
First dieMafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Number 2Number 3Number 2Number 3Number 2Number 3
Second dieTown
Town Tracker
Town Roleblocker
Town Doctor
Town Rolecop
Town Doctor
Town Rolecop
Third dieTown
Town Cop
Town Jailkeeper
Town Cop
Town Jailkeeper
Town Tracker
Town Roleblocker

* = Number 1s other than first die are rerolled
I like this. Will be easy to swap in.

If its still confusing...

We can make purpose specific LOCKED thread with a self help guide.....
Spoiler: Example Thread
AKA we
can
(if it is good idea to) dumb down and boiler plate the mechanics, (spoon feed info)
so that newbies do not need to workout setups, basically at all.
At the game start this thread would have one post that tells them specifically what they need to know about what they would know if they analyzed the 3d3 setup like a moderately experienced player.
I would leave them to work out what it means when they see some flips. The posts in this thread, with minimal reading, get them all up to a base starting level. Then they play. (hopefully according primarily to the VT guide)
Post 1 wrote: Click on appropriate links to find information relevant to you.
You are a newbie playing in the newbie Queue
Yes
No

If you are a Vanilla Townie
Click Here

If You are a Jail Keeper
Click Here

... Blah blah the other roles blah

You are the IC
Post 2 wrote: You are a Vanilla townie.

Your only weapons are your vote and your posts. use them to find scum. ... use them.
some very succinct/clear: blah blah.

<
Then for those willing to read and think.
>
Here are some useful guides. <<
Guides structured to target various levels of competence. best guides for 14 yr old turning up to play is different to post grads sick of writing their thesis/lit review.
>>
Post 3 wrote: You are a Jail Keeper.

First and most important nearly all the time during the game, every post you make should be made much the same as if you are a Vanilla Townie.
Reading that guide is thus actually much more important to you right now at the start of the game day than reading this one go do that.... please.
Click Here

Drink Me

Go On.
You know you want to.

<sigh>

Ok about the setup You are a Jk and you know the following things.

This game also either has a Town RoleBlocker and a scum RoleBlocker or A scum RoleCop and a town RoleCop
As soon as either a Rolecop or a Role Blocker flips you know what the other one is.
The people with the other Roles also dont know what role you have.

If there is scum Role Blocker in the game they know this <link to scum Roleblocker Guide.>
If there is Town Role Blocker in the game they know this <link to Town Roleblocker Guide.>
... blah blah

<Role and Action advice for JK. specific to its use in this setup. Goes here>

Now go read the VT guide. please.
Post N wrote: Pick one.
Go away troll.
Dont panic. Someone will pretend lynch you shortly and the pain will end. (ie you will wake up in bed calm and peaceful well rested, having escaped the nightmare.)

Note: If you are just curious/serious newbie, who is reading everything they can. An important thing to remember, is the game is meant to be srs fun, not just one or the other.
<takes three steps backwards>
Obviously i should not write the thread. As I would have too much fun.
And possibly fail to work towards the thread con.<making newbies feel safe and comfortable>

But with such a thread it is possible to write really simple stuff that is very specific to the role PM they have, that erases most of the complexity of working out combinatorics(setup analysis) like stuff.
but leaves them knowing the short list of facts a marginally experienced player would know having played several 3d3 games without reading such guide.

The thing that achieves that is by writing task specific prescriptive posts tailored to specific persons actual situation.

I strongly suggest making sure each post strongly emphasizes that the most important post to read no matter their actual role is the one on how to play like a VT.

If people coming out of the newbie Queue lean how to play like VTs, I would be chuffed.

postedit: agree with this
In post 268, acidphoenix wrote:I don't think compromising a la Toto's suggestion between these two ideals is helpful, and if we actually are going to gut setup nuance, then jk9 every game is actually a serious suggestion
but had different way to remove complexity(barrier to entry/learning curve) out of a setup that is not simply make it an open one.
Last edited by AxleGreaser on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”