The New Newbie Game Setup

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Toto
Toto
Mafia Scum
Toto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #259 (isolation #0) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:28 pm

Post by Toto »

I posted this in the old discussion thread,

But here it is again.

The problems this solves:

1) Newbies need a
simpler
set up. More focus on learning the ropes than the complexities of semi-open setups.
2) Only include setups that are proven to be balanced by the historical data from the new newbie Q (very close to 50%)
3) No way to use claims to break it (that I have thought of)

Yes, it does not include tracker set ups, and those can be fun but remember most newbies don't play that many games anyway so may never see all possible set ups. We should be encouraging people to move to other Q's with more advanced roles after they learn the ropes.

I call it List3 but you can call it however you want.

Chance
Row 1
Town Jailkeeper
Vanilla Townie
Mafia Goon
50%
Row 2
Town Cop
Vanilla Townie
Mafia Goon
25%
Row 3
Town Cop
Town Doctor
Mafia Roleblocker
25%

1) Flip a coin, if
heads
choose row #1, otherwise go do step (2).
2) Flip a coin, if
heads
choose row #2,
tails
choose row #3.
just because you get evil player role doesn't mean you are a evil person at HEART - KainTepes!!!
Toto
Toto
Mafia Scum
Toto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #261 (isolation #1) » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:13 am

Post by Toto »

In post 260, Alisae wrote:The cop setup in Row 2 should get a random n0 green check
I'm not opposed to it. But consider:

Row 2 has already ~47% WR for town which is pretty fair. My guess is that this makes the cop a lot more powerful. On D2 he can have a guilty or confirm up to 3 people which is a lot PoE wise. (assuming 7 are alive)

I do get that the cop is slightly weak against mafia fake claims. But it's fine to trade the PR for a guilty in any case, and I think it's fair the PR is dead after the first mafia lynch.

It is hard to predict how much of a jump this will have in the WR. My suggestion is that if it is not broken then we shouldn't try to fix it.
just because you get evil player role doesn't mean you are a evil person at HEART - KainTepes!!!
Toto
Toto
Mafia Scum
Toto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #264 (isolation #2) » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:56 am

Post by Toto »

In post 263, Toomai wrote:
In post 259, Toto wrote:1) Newbies need a
simpler
set up. More focus on learning the ropes than the complexities of semi-open setups.
Counterpoint: SEs and ICs need a setup that's sufficiently interesting or they'll grow tired of it and stop joining the newbie queue.
Ok, this is just my opinion and I'm sure some people may disagree with me. But PR mechanics is only like 10% of what makes mafia an interesting game.

As an SE, I don't think I've ever joined a newbie game because of the set up in terms of PR composition was interesting before. I actually liked that the set up was somewhat simple and at least I know what I'm getting into in terms of balance, and it is mostly a place for me to learn how to day-mafia on a forum based mafia game.

ICs should be mostly about teaching people how to day-mafia. PR mechanics is something everyone can figure out using logic. Day mafia is a pretty hard thing to master, and the bread and butter of the game. This is what newbies should be focused on.

Is this actually a problem we are trying to solve? It sounds like the current proposed solution is designed for the recurrent SE/ICs and not the actual newbies IMHO.
Toto
Toto
Mafia Scum
Toto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #269 (isolation #3) » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Post by Toto »

I'm ok to make the set up even simpler. No complaints from me.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”