Song Contest 113 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (isolation #0) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 am

Post by toolenduso »

I entered a good song by a good band that never got the recognition it deserved imo.

Also, some items from last contest...

Congrats, Reck!
In post 74, PJ. wrote:Iraq: I really appreciate you. This gets a nostalgia 12. I saw this guy do this whole concept album/musical live at a shitty venue for like 5 bucks and then he played jub jub birds and yeah man. It was dope and I really appreciate that someone is either still appreciating this or newly appreciating it so thank you for reminding me that Razia's Shadow exist. I tried to do this a week ago, but I noticed this song and just listened to all of Razia's shadow instead of doing the SC.
I appreciate you too Panzer!

And if anybody liked what I entered from Forgive Durden, I would definitely recommend listening to the rest of the album. It's a whole, cohesive story conveyed in the style of a musical (it was written and recorded as an album long before it was ever staged, though). Lots of great guest vocals on the album (Casey Crescenzo from The Dear Hunter, Brendon Urie from Panic at the Disco, Aaron Weiss from mewithoutyou, Max Bemis from Say Anything) and yes it does get a bit cheesy at parts but overall it's quite well done.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (isolation #1) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:57 am

Post by toolenduso »

^The album is called Razia's Shadow. Left that part out somehow.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (isolation #2) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:25 pm

Post by toolenduso »

Whoops, meant to post this in this thread:
In post 93, toolenduso wrote:Also, I finally updated my youtube playlist of all-time song contest faves and realized that SC112 was one of my favorite contests in a while.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (isolation #3) » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:23 am

Post by toolenduso »

Checking out more clipping and just found out the rapper won a tony for playing Thomas Jefferson in Hamilton and is also a movie/tv actor. He played a guy who was terrible at rapping on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (isolation #4) » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Post by toolenduso »

In post 46, Plotinus wrote:
Libya
this video wasn't available in my country but I found a live version. grayish yellow wants to be blue feels like counting crows except I like counting crows. I feel like if I understood the words or if I were in a different part of my life this might be just the thing but I am not really sure what he is saying or if he is saying it on key
Huh. I was looking for an alt version but then I checked it on the country restriction thing and said the one I entered was unrestricted. Are you sure it's not available?
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #92 (isolation #5) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 am

Post by toolenduso »

Top 10

----

Scotland - Paolo Nutini - Iron Sky: I like this dude's voice. Somewhere between Joe Cocker and Bob Marley. This is pretty cool. It's epic-sounding. Doesn't feel like six minutes. GOOD.

Greece - Bitter:Sweet - The Bomb: Hey now, this is cool. Lo-fi jazzy recording with what sounds like stand-up bass, synth and sax mixed in sparingly and creative, winding vocal melodies? Yes please! GOOD.

China - Ibeyi - River: Track is awesome. Reminds me of Lafawndah. Overall the song is a little bland. But I do like it. DECENT.

Netherlands - Ira! - Envelheco na Cidade: Sounds like hippie anthem rock, and that's fine but I don't dig it very much, man. The picked-up rhythm jam at the end helps though. DECENT.

Taiwan - Amara Toure - Lamento Cubano: It's all right. It's just pretty simple. It'd be a nice song to have playing live at a chill bar. Pairs nicely with a manhattan. Sounds ripe for hip hop sampling. None of the solos are anything that special. DECENT.

UK - Tokimonsta - Don't Call Me: Interesting track. Kind of like an evolved version of neo-soul or something. It's aight. DECENT.

Egypt - NAO - Girlfriend: Hey hey, you you, I don't like you're girlfriend! Nah jk. This is kinda neat. I like what she's doing with the rhythm. This is the kind of song where I like it, but I'm fairly confident I wouldn't be that into the rest of the artist's stuff. DECENT.

Ireland - That 1 Guy - Striped Light: This is pretty good for what it is. The thing about self-imposed musical restrictions like this is that they force the musicians to become creative with the little they have. But the limitations are so restrictive that even when they get creative they can't achieve as much as musicians with more conventional setups. So if I like one or two songs from a group with a self-imposed restriction, such as playing with one novel instrument, they're not going to be a group I listen to a lot. Anyway, this is fine and it'll probably get mid-to-high points. But it's not gonna get first and I'm not gonna check out more from this dude. DECENT.

Iceland - Solstafir - Djakninn: So many minutes of solo guitar riffing. OK it was only 2:50. Now at 6:30 and this song has pretty much been nonstop quarter-note jamming since the rhythm section kicked in. It gets a little tedious. There were some fun guitar moments. But it's like, if you were gonna stick within such a narrow range, why make it last so long? That only works when the song has an interesting atmosphere, and almost always those songs are slower than this. Yep, that was the whole song. This just did not need to be what it ended up being. I don't hate it, but I don't really like it either. DECENT.

CAR - Supertramp - Breakfast in America: Oh, it's this song? I had no idea this is what it was called. I'm kinda disappointed, actually. I already knew this song and liked Supertramp for it, so I was hoping to hear something from them that I hadn't heard yet. Oh well. This......might step over the line on my rule about songs being too well-known to be entered into the song contest. I mean, I really like this song. But it's super popular. I've heard it many times on the radio. GOOD.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (isolation #6) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:08 am

Post by toolenduso »

Supertramp would've been higher if the song wasn't so well known.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (isolation #7) » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Post by toolenduso »

Congrats Tammy!

Man, I think the top three were well deserved. I almost never agree with all top three.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (isolation #8) » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:38 pm

Post by toolenduso »

Ah wtf I don't even know how that happened...

Fixing. Thanks for pointing it out.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #126 (isolation #9) » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:42 pm

Post by toolenduso »

Fixed.

Also, damn, I think that was the closest top two scores in a long time.

I'm probably gonna get the next contest up tomorrow.

Return to “General Discussion”