Song Contest 113 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (isolation #0) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Post by Parama »

i dunno if i'll enter pop stuff again i was planning on sending lorde as my third one :V
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (isolation #1) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:05 am

Post by Parama »

In post 7, Creature wrote:Gonna try top 10, even if I have to submit a song that's just whispering.
this will not get you top 10
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (isolation #2) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:20 am

Post by Parama »

I listened to it last night, was bugged by how the album was two stories that were only loosely connected and didn't like the goofier songs much but it was overall pretty decent, I think you picked the best track though and even then I didn't love that one :V
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (isolation #3) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:59 pm

Post by Parama »

no
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (isolation #4) » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:16 am

Post by Parama »

i have submitted electronic & pop stuff in the last two contests, but ok
a themed contest is bad because it will severely lack variety and get boring really quickly
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (isolation #5) » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Post by Parama »

sent a song i've been meaning to send for like a year that's way too long for the SC crowd but too good not to send
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (isolation #6) » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:39 am

Post by Parama »

can you extend the deadline a bit more since holidays and all?
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (isolation #7) » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:21 am

Post by Parama »

i mean i'm not gonna start listening to songs until like, the weekend before the current deadline so
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #69 (isolation #8) » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Post by Parama »

i'm so ready for my 1/10
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #75 (isolation #9) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:54 am

Post by Parama »

lol i haven't even started this yet whoops
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #76 (isolation #10) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:07 am

Post by Parama »

Senegal – I find it hard to have any real opinion one way or another on this. It’s not obnoxious and it sounds pleasant enough, I guess. I don’t really care for the vocals, the female vocals are okay I guess but buried in the mix. It’s a bit samey across its runtime but it’s short enough that that’s not really a problem? This is just like the definition of average. (AVERAGE)

Cote d’Ivoire – Oh god, yeah, I hate this lol. It’s basically a cappella except for that clattery percussion and like, some dumb water drop sound effects. The vocals have that same overly sugary tone a lot of J-pop has and having like five layers of them doesn’t make it any better. Yeah, we’re done here. (DID NOT FINISH)

Hungary – Okay this is just a slightly better version of Senegal’s song. Like, vocals are a bit better, there’s a bit more atmosphere. But at the same time it’s also twice as long and just as lacking in variety or dynamics. Yeah I lied this isn’t better, it’s slightly worse because it goes on longer without having anything to offer beyond the first minute of the song. Ehh. It’s not bad but kind of dull. (AVERAGE)

Isle of Man – Tbh any metalcore that clearly has no interest in being interesting musically is metalcore I don’t really have any interest in. This is okay and the break in the middle was nice but besides that there’s really nothing particularly worth coming back to here. (AVERAGE)

USA – Like this right here, exactly. This isn’t really -core but it’s way more dynamic and musically interesting than the last song while still having a good hook when it needs to. I wouldn’t call it mind-blowingly good or anything but in direct contrast to the last song, yeah, I can definitely get behind this. (GOOD)

Bhutan – It’s like the bastard child of bland trap and K-pop that the world never asked for or needed. Like I’ll be fair in that it’s much better as a trap song than what gets popular in the US and she sounds decent enough but it’s still about the last thing I’d ever want to listen to. (BAD)

Burkina Faso – I’ll totally appreciate an artist being openly trans and owning it like this but it doesn’t really matter to me if the music just sounds bad, like this does. She just ain’t a great singer lol. And there’s not much to the beat either. There’s a few decent moments here I guess but on the whole, ehh, pass. (MEDIOCRE)

not a great start lol
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #77 (isolation #11) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Post by Parama »

Egypt – Not really a fan of how nasal her vocals are but besides that this is a pretty solid pop track? Like really not much else to say about it. It’s okay. (AVERAGE)

Scotland – Hmm, this isn’t exactly fresh territory but he has a pretty good voice and there’s a lot of passion in the performance. Also, I’ll always dig those touches of horns. Maybe goes on a bit long for what it is but maybe not, it’s pretty solid stuff. (DECENT)

Ireland – Oh god I cannot stand his voice at all. Do I have to suffer 9 minutes of this? Well probably not, I see this being a did not finish already. And it’s not exactly like this is musically something I want to hear, at all. I skipped ahead some and it’s basically just a 5 minute electric fiddle-thing solo in the back half which, yeah, bye. (DID NOT FINISH)

Spain – Okay I’ve seen this album cover before because this album was fairly popular this year. Cannot say I’m much a fan of these vocals though, especially when they title drop in the chorus, it just sounds goofy. Besides that yep this is definitely a punk rock type song alright. Okay. It’s… fine I guess. (AVERAGE)

Libya – I don’t really… have anything to say about this at all. It starts off a bit slow but pleasant. Second half is a bit more upbeat but doesn’t really have any unique flavor to it. I do kind of enjoy it and might like it more on relisten but I can’t say it’s doing that much for me. (AVERAGE)

China – I listened all the way through this and… I just can’t, really. Basic beat that ends with this really obnoxious passage that I just can’t stand. Vocals are serviceable and the harmonization is fine but nothing that really stands out. And a weird detour right at the end that amounts to nothing. Mmmno. (MEDIOCRE)

Latvia – Yup, this is definitely some electronic stuff with a bit of a rock edge to it. Vocalist sounds very 80’s darkwave to me. It’s got solid driving energy to it and decent texture at times too. I can kind of get into this but it could serve to be two minutes shorter, too. It’s one of the better songs in this set though. (DECENT)

yep, this is definitely A Contest
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #80 (isolation #12) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:04 pm

Post by Parama »

Slovenia – Yup, this is some light acoustic folk thingy with a female singer alright. She sounds fine enough. There’s like, a slight Spanish feel to this I guess? It’s far from bad, it’s pleasant enough, but it’s not particularly ear-catching. (AVERAGE)

Wales – He sings like a slightly more tolerable Tom Waits. That’s not much of an improvement though. Musically this is just completely unremarkable. Like there’s some okay buildup but it’s not enough to save the song considering the vocals. (MEDIOCRE)

Central African Republic – “oh, this song” I feel like Davsto ran out of the good classic rock bands a long time ago and thus we’re just getting the dregs that nobody really remembers by name but are kind of familiar with. I don’t really care for this too much but it’s like, fine. Instrumentation is a bit too goofy for me. Vocals not my thing either. I dunno, it’s a bit on the edge. (AVERAGE)

United Kingdom – Why does anyone anywhere do the chipmunk vocal thing. It has never once sounded good or contributed to a song in a positive way. Like besides that? Yeah, pretty chill downbeat song with a solid vocal performance, I could see myself liking this… except for the chipmunk voice. Bleh. (AVERAGE)

Greece – I mean it’s upbeat and kind of fun, the instrumentation has its moments. It’s kind of… generic though, I feel like I’ve heard it before despite knowing I haven’t. Ehh. (AVERAGE)

Netherlands – Everything is tending so frustratingly towards the middle in this contest and it’s getting really tiresome. This is another one that doesn’t necessarily sound bad & gets some nice energy in the second half but it’s kind of just some kind of Spanish bluegrass thing and it’s just, not a genre I ever get much from. Probably the best in this set so far though, I guess. (AVERAGE)

Taiwan – There’s just something… off about this one. It’s not very dynamic, the guitar lines constantly seem just a little bit off-key, the bleepy bloopy sounding flute (?) in the background is really obnoxious, stuff just comes in and out with no real rhyme or reason. I can’t say it’s completely unlistenable but it bothers me in a way I can’t really describe. (MEDIOCRE)

Iceland – I love pretty much everything about this song, the slow & chill intro (that guitar tone GOSH), and especially the entire second half just jamming on that one groove. Such a great groove, the drums are friggin’ excellent. Ends way too soon if you ask me but it’s the kind of thing I’d be okay with just having loop forever.

there were a grand total of 3 songs that caught my interest in any positive way this contest.
christ.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #82 (isolation #13) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:42 pm

Post by Parama »

i'm sorry for getting your hopes down
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #90 (isolation #14) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:50 am

Post by Parama »

Certified long
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #96 (isolation #15) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Post by Parama »

Sorry you're so wrong, tool
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #98 (isolation #16) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Post by Parama »

No, tool, the user whose name starts with tool
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #100 (isolation #17) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:32 pm

Post by Parama »

well, i voted. i had to keep checking my notes to remember which song was what though because everything just blended together so much this contest, ugh
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #105 (isolation #18) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:25 pm

Post by Parama »

yeah tbh i almost considered outright not voting because even my 12 is not very good this time lol
i may go all in and just submit some weird tech death metal song for 0 points next round & then quit lol tbh it's rare that i get something worthwhile from song contests these days
what bugs me the most is the people who just submit similar samey sounding indie folk rock stuff every time how do you not get tired of it
or generic classic rock with no flavor
so many songs just lack, any sort of flavor and that's the problem i have with a lot of contests lately
meh
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #109 (isolation #19) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:02 pm

Post by Parama »

i didn't call it boring this time i just hated it
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #122 (isolation #20) » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Post by Parama »

you literally posted panzer's votes, i don't think they forgot to vote
also surprised i scored so high it sounded like everyone hated mine this time lol
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #128 (isolation #21) » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:51 pm

Post by Parama »

screw it i'm sending black metal next round
also thanks nacho but it was absolutely not fun nor worth it in this contest in particular
i didn't even relisten to greece or CAR like i usually would have because i just couldn't anymore with the blandness of this contest
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Return to “General Discussion”