Music Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #191 (isolation #0) » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:12 am

Post by Davsto »

Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #202 (isolation #1) » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:27 am

Post by Davsto »

Couldn't get into it at all myself. Saturnz Barz and Ticker Tape are the only tracks I've kept.

Not that it's bad, it just has a lot of qualities that I don't particularly enjoy in music, so it was pretty much the antithesis to my personal tastes. The production (particularly the overly electric drums) rubbed me the wrong way, I don't enjoy rapping and with the overall focus on said rapping I felt that there was a lack of strong vocal and instrumental hooks overall. I imagine it's much more enjoyable to those who have a taste more sympathetic to hip-hop and rap, but that's not me sadly.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #207 (isolation #2) » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:41 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 203, Majiffy wrote:The second half is much less rapping and much more Albarn singing.
I guess but even a lot of the Damon singing lacked hooks

Take Busted and Blue, it was pure vocals, but there was pretty much no strong hooks in it from listening, and the backing was barely existent.

I did listen to the full album so it's not like I gave up before it got good or anything, it just very much wasn't my thing.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #208 (isolation #3) » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 am

Post by Davsto »

Anyway since we're on the topic of Albarn, I listened to The Good, the Bad & the Queen for the first time today, and that was a brilliant album. I've always preferred Damon compositions of the alt rock style. Largely enjoyed the lo-fi sort of production, but it got on my nerves occasionally, particularly in the climax of the title track where the drums seem to dominate and I can barely properly hear any other bits.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #237 (isolation #4) » Fri May 19, 2017 4:43 am

Post by Davsto »

Very bored. Very very bored. Tempted to make a huge post (with the spoiler tags to shrink it) with a sentence or two reviewing most albums I have at some point.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #240 (isolation #5) » Fri May 26, 2017 8:36 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 237, Davsto wrote:Very bored. Very very bored. Tempted to make a huge post (with the spoiler tags to shrink it) with a sentence or two reviewing most albums I have at some point.
Yeah I'm starting it now and will save it in drafts and add whenever I'm bored because fuckit why not it kills time

Then when it's done a huge post which no-one will ever read will appear
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #247 (isolation #6) » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:48 am

Post by Davsto »

My favourite vinyl record I own is ELO's Eldorado, with the vinyl being clear so the grooves provide interesting refraction patterns, it's so cool and a brilliant album musically too.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #258 (isolation #7) » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:05 am

Post by Davsto »

My quick Arcade Fire review of the albums I've listened to

Funeral - practically every song is brilliant, with a few slightly weaker tracks (7 Kettles, Une Annee Sans Lumiere) which are still pretty good. The vocals are decent but the standout factor is really in the backing and the instrumental hooks and riffs which are powerful and catchy. Each track stands out from the others in its own way and the variety is good.
Neon Bible - opening two tracks are good, closing three tracks are fantastic. The middle of the album is mid-tier; nothing wrong with it and perfectly listenable, but a little dull and nothing really stands out. The vocal work is better though - particularly on the closing track.
The Suburbs - my view on the entire album is like the middle of Neon Bible, except even more dull. Everything is nice to listen to but the hooks (particularly the instrumental ones which were so fantastic on the first album) are virtually non-existent, the mood is barely there when even the weaker tracks on Neon Bible had a strong sense of mood, and there's just nothing really that grabbing about any songs. Deep Blue is the only track I enjoy a fair amount.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #275 (isolation #8) » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:30 am

Post by Davsto »

is this the right place to put any piano i play and record or would a different thread be better

just for future reference
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #283 (isolation #9) » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:07 am

Post by Davsto »

Not dead yet. But currently on life support after being found not breathing due to suspected cardiac arrest. Might still make it depending on how quick the services were.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #313 (isolation #10) » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:58 am

Post by Davsto »

So apparently the average ages of listeners for the two things it came up with are 28 and 43 and I think that's fairly accurate of what people think of my music tastes
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #322 (isolation #11) » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Post by Davsto »

I assume there's probably a reason for it to do with keeping listeners attention at the start and it not mattering so much later, but when I think about how many albums have a noticeably weaker side B/second half it does tend to surprise me a little still.

Return to “General Discussion”